g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What's going on in France?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It is not that people are nasty. It is because they don't clean often enough. Cleaning costs money.
People pee in the underground, they are nasty. The stations are cleaned everyday and they have personnel cleaning during the day too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You want a massive cut in taxes and a huge increase in public investment.
:D

JPRouve

Scout
Saw this piece on TV about some riots in the Banlieus a while back, and the police actually told the reporters they couldn't go near and report since they themselves couldn't go into these areas in such situations.

What puzzles me is how a government can accept that there exist areas where the people the state employ to keep law and order can't enter to do their job.
That's nonsense, they enter and do their job.

CA_vampire

People pee in the underground, they are nasty. The stations are cleaned everyday and they have personnel cleaning during the day too.
If you arrest some, they will stop doing it. But this also needs money.

And obviously, if something stinks, they don't clean it often enough.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
That's nonsense, they enter and do their job.
You mean the elite squads right?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...after-french-riots-banlieues-remain-in-crisis

A festering problem in Grigny and across other estates is the mistrust between police and young people that was at the heart of the riots in 2005 and which has not been fixed. With no neighbourhood policing, it is often elite units who swoop.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france

The sense of separation is heightened by the names of the surrounding streets and schools, preserved from a historical France that has little connection to residents’ lives. The roads around Gros Saule—a drug-ridden cité where the police dare not enter—include Rue Henri Matisse and Rue Claude Debussy.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20161010/are-there-police-no-go-zones-in-france-the-police-say-yes

“Of course there are no-go zones in France where the police cannot intervene and do their jobs in safety,” Denis Jacob from the union Alternative police-CFDT told The Local. “And it’s the same for fire fighters or pretty much any representative of the state.
Seem to be differing opinions on it. Hardly nonsense as you say.

JPRouve

Scout
No, I'm talking about regular patrols. No go zones aren't a thing, you have areas where the criminality is high but there aren't no go zones.

SwansonsTache

No, I'm talking about regular patrols. No go zones aren't a thing, you have areas where the criminality is high but there aren't no go zones.
So the Guardian, the Newyorker and thelocal all have reported this wrong? Or could it be that no sane government will ever accept, use or acknowledge a term as "no-go zone" since it would mean a partial failure of state and their leadership of it?

JPRouve

Scout
So the Guardian, the Newyorker and thelocal all have reported this wrong? Or could it be that no sane government will ever accept, use or acknowledge a term as "no-go zone" since it would mean a partial failure of state and their leadership of it?
No it means that the guy didn't even talk about no-go-zones, that translation is sensationalist and fallacious. He talked about the fact that the police and other administration should do more than simply clean the consequences and in certain areas that's the only thing that they do, he calls these areas "zones de non droit", in that context the translation would be stateless. To explain the context, in France we used to have small police offices everywhere but around 2000s Sarkozy changed the politics because the police "wasn't around to play football with the youth", instead they centralized the police who would only patrol instead of having a grounding everywhere, that's what Jacob is talking about, he thinks that the police should go back in the middle of society and be part of it instead of intervening from time to time when something bad happens.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Not looking or sounding very good in Paris at the moment. (Admittedly I’m watching this from my armchair). News reporter saying that it doesn’t seem to be about the government’s policies anymore, it seems to be about Macron. They are calling for his resignation.

177 arrests by 8.30am. 320 by 10.00am.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I’m actually in Paris for a few days at the moment. Will have to see how the protesters are getting along later. :D

SwansonsTache

> Cut taxes
> Hire more civil servants and provide more public services.

Yeah right, eat your cake and have it too.
It is the same bullshit the environmental party and most far left parties in Norway are spouting.

"Stop all oil production and don't develop more fields on the Norwegian continental shelf...btw while we are at it, we want greater social security, less privatisation of healthcare and services and also ideally our gender studies fully financed by the state".

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
URGENT-Very tense Situation in #Belgique where hundreds of #GiletsJaunes currently attack the European Parliament, in #Bruxelles. Very big tensions in the Belgian capital.

Last edited:

Javi

It is the same bullshit the environmental party and most far left parties in Norway are spouting.

"Stop all oil production and don't develop more fields on the Norwegian continental shelf...btw while we are at it, we want greater social security, less privatisation of healthcare and services and also ideally our gender studies fully financed by the state".
From a very superficial perspective it does seem that countries managed the latter without the former though. I thought you guys had strong social welfare anyway?

Abizzz

Saw this piece on TV about some riots in the Banlieus a while back, and the police actually told the reporters they couldn't go near and report since they themselves couldn't go into these areas in such situations.

What puzzles me is how a government can accept that there exist areas where the people the state employ to keep law and order can't enter to do their job.
What puzzles me is that I never get to see these shows, about Paris, Kopenhagen, Mälmö, Berlin etc. I've heard about "no-go" areas so much in the media and from people telling me about "things they've seen", yet whenever I go to these places, puff, they disappear right before I arrive.

There are areas where white supremacists don't feel comfortable, that doesn't mean they'r no go.

botond

What puzzles me is that I never get to see these shows, about Paris, Kopenhagen, Mälmö, Berlin etc. I've heard about "no-go" areas so much in the media and from people telling me about "things they've seen", yet whenever I go to these places, puff, they disappear right before I arrive.

There are areas where white supremacists don't feel comfortable, that doesn't mean they'r no go.
are you a no go zone hunter ?

SwansonsTache

From a very superficial perspective it does seem that countries managed the latter without the former though. I though ypu guys had strong social welfare anyway?
Yeah, we would manage due to other natural resources. We've become oil dependant a long time ago though.

What these guys fail to understand is a few crucial points though:

- Supply and demand, the world wants the oil it wants. If Norway stops production other nations fill in the void
- As far as carbon emissions goes Norwegian produced oil is the one with the least emissions in the world
- Norway deliver 36% of all the natural gas to Europe via decade long forward agreements, it wouldn't sit well if we just decided to hit the stop button
- Norway invest heavily in renewables and green energy through the oil fund, which is the largest investor in the sector in the world. Also the oil income goes to subsidizing Co2 gathering plants, the worlds cheapest electric cars etc
- Norway already have the cleanest energy in the world due to it all being hydroelectric. On paper we don't anymore though because the absolute tits we have as politicians decided to let the power companies sell "clean quotas" which is then purchased by the coal monkeys in Germany etc.

I see opinions as these guys have as a sign of the times and decadence in Norway. The very oil that made us so silly rich that you can even entertain such stupid ideas due to never having to lack anything or having to fight for a necessity is also their nemesis.

The green revolution will come with cost\wattage parity and technology. Not what silly regulations people like this dream up.

SwansonsTache

Want to see the Malmö one? Google 60 minutes Australia sweden.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Macron met his wife when he was a 15 year old schoolboy and she was his 40 year old school teacher who was already married with children.

This is completely off topic, I just wanted to throw it in :D

Abizzz

are you a no go zone hunter ?
Maybe unconsciously. I just don't give a feck. People live their everyday lives in what racists call "no go areas", and aside from the youths getting caught up in gangs most of them do just fine. And so do I. There's always been richer and poorer neighborhoods, read "a child of the jago" if you think it's a new phenomena caused by mass migration... it isn't. Far right media have made these "no go areas" into some cartoon Sin City completely separated from reality and their assertions say more about them psychologically than the places they asses.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Macron met his wife when he was a 15 year old schoolboy and she was his 40 year old school teacher who was already married with children.

This is completely off topic, I just wanted to throw it in :D
Yes, it's all a bit iffy - but the public seem to be far less interested in the private lives of politicians than we are in the UK.

Abizzz

Want to see the Malmö one? Google 60 minutes Australia sweden.
See that's what I mean. Why does it need Murdoch media travelling around half the world to come to the conclusion you can't enter one small patch of Sweden? If it were the case someone from the next patch of Sweden would have surely noticed?

SwansonsTache

See that's what I mean. Why does it need Murdoch media travelling around half the world to come to the conclusion you can't enter one small patch of Sweden? If it were the case someone from the next patch of Sweden would have surely noticed?
Are you Swedish? Because a lot of Swedes I know certainly has noticed.

Abizzz

Are you Swedish? Because a lot of Swedes I know certainly has noticed.
Noticed what? That they can't go there, or that they don't feel that the society that exists in that place reinforces the structural racism present elsewhere in Sweden and they thus feel uncomfortable without their elevated social status?