What's going on in France?

Eire Red United

First thing I would do is investigate him. Sounds like he’s stirring for stirrings sake. (Not that I disagree with some of his points).
You get the feeling something is going to kick off in the south. Plenty of videos circulating showing the loyalist thugs recruited to evict elderly people in Roscommon. Subsequently the thugs were dealt with this morning by locals apparently.

freeurmind

weak willed
Saw Le Pen's interview on France 2, called for an election and spouted her general nonsense. Seems crazy though even in France, you get the feeling that if the politicians don't get their finger out and undertake serious reforms, especially regarding Europe, the EU will be under threat. Protests still going on, some have taken to sending MPs bullets and death threats. You wonder how long it can go on for. Someti es I get the feeling Western Europe is sortof disintegrating.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Saw Le Pen's interview on France 2, called for an election and spouted her general nonsense. Seems crazy though even in France, you get the feeling that if the politicians don't get their finger out and undertake serious reforms, especially regarding Europe, the EU will be under threat. Protests still going on, some have taken to sending MPs bullets and death threats. You wonder how long it can go on for. Someti es I get the feeling Western Europe is sortof disintegrating.
How you managed to make a nonsensical movement about the EU, is quite exceptional.

freeurmind

weak willed
Nonsensical? Well I guess we'll see in the European elections later this year. RN is already ahead in the polls. LePen was literally on national TV saying there should be a referendum in France and that she was intent on changing Europe along with her allies in Italy and Austria.

JPRouve

Scout
Nonsensical? Well I guess we'll see in the European elections later this year. RN is already ahead in the polls. LePen was literally on national TV saying there should be a referendum in France and that she was intent on changing Europe along with her allies in Italy and Austria.
Yes the movement is nonsensical, literally. Also the EU has nothing to do with the protests, Le Pen spouting her nonsense on TV is what she does all the time, she is always asking for referendums about everything and anything depending on the actuality. There is nothing new, nothing special.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Yes the movement is nonsensical, literally. Also the EU has nothing to do with the protests, Le Pen spouting her nonsense on TV is what she does all the time, she is always asking for referendums about everything and anything depending on the actuality. There is nothing new, nothing special.
If the protests have become about macron, eu first France second man, then by proxy the protests are against the eu or at least his ideology of it. Nes pas?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
FN won the European elections in 2014 with 25% of the vote, and are currently polling at ... 25%. Not sure if you can attribure those numbers to the protests.

JPRouve

Scout
If the protests have become about macron, eu first France second man, then by proxy the protests are against the eu or at least his ideology of it. N'est-il pas?
Macron is himself a proxy, the protest are about RN and La France insoumise voters and politicians not taking the 2017 loss, which they said they wouldn't. It's not really about Macron, not about the EU and not about France. Which is a bit of a shame because France isn't exactly perfect and we should be working on and offering ideas that have an actual sense, but some are more interested in partisanism and inane propositions/actions.

Zlatattack

The real issue at hand is capitalisms chickens are coming home to roost. There is plenty of wealth in Europe but many Europeans don't have any. In Britain 1 in 5 kids live in households where they struggle to afford food. Let that sink in for a moment. 40% of UK homeowners will retire without having paid off their mortages. What do you think those people will do for a pension?

Does anyone really think this is the case because because African illegal immigrants or Roma Gypsies are living like Oligarchs? Give your head a wobble.

Workers don't get paid enough, big companies keep all the money to themselves, they don't pay enough tax, they artificially inflate the costs of essentials like homes and the rest of us are paying for it like fools because enough of the population are greedy enough to vote conservative or stupid enough to think it's all because of immigration. Immigration is a tiny part of the bigger picture.

This is being repeated across Europe and the only people taking advantage of it are the far right, whilst the left sit on their arse trying to be "centralist". Meanwhile the powerbrokers own the media and paint the left as dangerous, knowing full well they can buy off the right wing nutters. Heck most of the right wing movements are funded by the wealthy oligarch types for just this purpose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Le Pen is not tired of losing elections. She had to change her party's name ffs.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Perhaps they had genuinely broken down?
No, it's in a layby/car park on the roundabout at the bottom of the exit road. The first weekend of the protests there were 100 or so. Went past there again on Wednesday and there were three or four OAP's milling around.
All stirred up by Le Pen and Mélenchon etc because they know they'll never win the presidency. It's not just far right but far left as well. They have no solutions just mindless twaddle.

Most people seem really fed up with them now. Of course in the usual way, just like Brexit, it's stirred up on facebook etc. The same stupid crap in another version.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The real issue at hand is capitalisms chickens are coming home to roost. There is plenty of wealth in Europe but many Europeans don't have any. In Britain 1 in 5 kids live in households where they struggle to afford food. Let that sink in for a moment. 40% of UK homeowners will retire without having paid off their mortages. What do you think those people will do for a pension?

Does anyone really think this is the case because because African illegal immigrants or Roma Gypsies are living like Oligarchs? Give your head a wobble.

Workers don't get paid enough, big companies keep all the money to themselves, they don't pay enough tax, they artificially inflate the costs of essentials like homes and the rest of us are paying for it like fools because enough of the population are greedy enough to vote conservative or stupid enough to think it's all because of immigration. Immigration is a tiny part of the bigger picture.

This is being repeated across Europe and the only people taking advantage of it are the far right, whilst the left sit on their arse trying to be "centralist". Meanwhile the powerbrokers own the media and paint the left as dangerous, knowing full well they can buy off the right wing nutters. Heck most of the right wing movements are funded by the wealthy oligarch types for just this purpose.
Spot on!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Great post.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I don't know much about this or France in general, but this is from a journalist I generally trust:

JPRouve

Scout
I don't know much about this or France in general, but this is from a journalist I generally trust:

The minority that represents the gilets jaunes are and have always mainly been part of both extremes who are both xenophobes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Bravo. A perfect summary of the fallout of global capitalism.
Well thought out and well written.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The minority that represents the gilets jaunes are and have always mainly been part of both extremes who are both xenophobes.
All too easy to dismiss such protests as extremism. It is much deeper than this.
Are there problems; not just in France but across Europe - definitely yes.
Are they the result of the EU - no.
Are they the result of global capitalism and worsening wealth distribution - yes.
Is anything going to change - highly unlikely.

JPRouve

Scout
All too easy to dismiss such protests as extremism. It is much deeper than this.
Are there problems; not just in France but across Europe - definitely yes.
Are they the result of the EU - no.
Are they the result of global capitalism and worsening wealth distribution - yes.
Is anything going to change - highly unlikely.
You realize that you are talking about a small amount of people who are actually linked to FN and far left movement? This has nothing to do with wealth or capitalism which are issues that do exist but have nothing to do with this thread or the Gilets Jaunes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You realize that you are talking about a small amount of people who are actually linked to FN and far left movement? This has nothing to do with wealth or capitalism which are issues that do exist but have nothing to do with this thread or the Gilets Jaunes.
Don't make the mistake of just focusing on those who go out and protest.
For every one of those there are many thousands of people who are completely dissolutioned with the current situation.

JPRouve

Scout
For every one of those there are many thousands of people who are completely dissolutioned with the current situation.
And don't make the mistake of making things up and conflating your mindset with other people's mindset. This is a thread about a particular movement, that comes from the extremes and isn't really popular(a dozen of thousands of people in the country).

One of the beauty of France is that it's very easy to make us go in the street, if you don't see numbers around the million then you should always ask you why.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And don't make the mistake of making things up and conflating your mindset with other people's mindset. This is a thread about a particular movement, that comes from the extremes and isn't really popular(a dozen of thousands of people in the country).

One of the beauty of France is that it's very easy to make us go in the street, if you don't see numbers around the million then you should always ask you why.
Making things up...
I was quoting comments made to me by some French friends of mine.
But as usual, you know best.

JPRouve

Scout
Making things up...
I was quoting comments made to me by some French friends of mine.
But as usual, you know best.
And I was quoting a post about antisemitic actions.

Paul the Wolf

Some might be disillusioned ;).
Most people I know are completely fed up with the protestors.
Costing the state and people a fortune but the far right and far left are determined to stoke up problems. It's not just the far right, it's the left as well, the communists. But of course there are always gullibles in every country.

Fortunately haven't seen one personally for several weeks.
39000 the last figure, whereas it was 282000 at the beginning.

Last edited:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Some might be disillusioned ;).
Most people I know are completely fed up with the protestors.
Costing the state and people a fortune but the far right and far left are determined to stoke up problems. It's not just the far right, it's the left as well, the communists. But of course there are always gullibles in every country.

Fortunately haven't seen one personally for several weeks.
39000 the last figure, whereas it was 282000 at the beginning.
Wow. The protests carry on, as a resident ask why. You sound like an 'I'm alright jack' kind of person which I've always thought in every thread.

Paul the Wolf

Wow. The protests carry on, as a resident ask why. You sound like an 'I'm alright jack' kind of person which I've always thought in every thread.
Of course the protests will carry on, it's what the far left and right and encouraging, If you think smashing things, stopping people going to work , wasting public money is a good idea, well...

Couple of brilliant ideas from these morons ...
Let's halve the number of MPs for example - that calculates out that every man, woman and child in France would gain an extra 20p a year but would no doubt moan their their constituency has doubled in size and the MP doesn't represent them any more
or
Let's hold 4 referendums a year so that the public decide on key issues - yeah right, that will end well.

I know people from all walks of life and unless they are ardent communists or RW and I do know some they are almost all sick of them.

I've never taken a penny from the state, paid a fortune in tax and all because of my own hard work.

Maticmaker

It would seem over the years that taking to the streets to protest seems to work in France, the protesters get all or a substantial part of what they want, or the Government falls!

Is the problem for Macron that he has nobody to talk to about the protests... apparently there are no leaders of the GilletsJaunes, so no one he can pile the pressure on?

JPRouve

Scout
It would seem over the years that taking to the streets to protest seems to work in France, the protesters get all or a substantial part of what they want, or the Government falls!

Is the problem for Macron that he has nobody to talk to about the protests... apparently there are no leaders of the GilletsJaunes, so no one he can pile the pressure on?
Governments don't really fall in France and the Gilets Jaunes are a small amount of people, the only reason they are in the news is because of the violence, also as of today they have nothing substantial to propose or complain about.

Maticmaker

Governments don't really fall in France and the Gilets Jaunes are a small amount of people, the only reason they are in the news is because of the violence, also as of today they have nothing substantial to propose or complain about.
Why is that? Has the violence been successful? Has President Macron 'caved-in' to their demands?

JPRouve

Scout
Why is that? Has the violence been successful? Has President Macron 'caved-in' to their demands?
Because it's great for TV channels, they have something to talk about. And no the violence isn't successful since they are not popular at all. And they don't have actual demands, bear in mind that it's mainly a mix of far right and far left, they don't actually have a common view other than create havoc and they are busy fighting and threatening each others.

Maticmaker

Because it's great for TV channels, they have something to talk about. And no the violence isn't successful since they are not popular at all. And they don't have actual demands, bear in mind that it's mainly a mix of far right and far left, they don't actually have a common view other than create havoc and they are busy fighting and threatening each others.
Yes exactly the same over here with Brexit, lots of people finding time to walk about outside the HoP waving multi-coloured flags, arguing and falling out amongst themselves (oh sorry that's the politicians!)
TV channels loving it.

Dave89

More yellow vests causing trouble in Paris
[/spolier]