What's the worst decision you've seen go for and against us?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This got brought up in the VAR thread

Feck it yeah, that was it.

10 mins. Most bizarre offside call ever.

And, after the brief nostalgia trip, made me realise that this probably is the single worst officiating decision I've ever seen go against us (and there's a few for that title). How the lino concluded there was an offside there is beyond me, never mind Ellary backing up the decision.

Then I saw this on Twitter (well the same video but I can't find the tweet):

And, after laughing for a bit, thought about how this goal should never ever have stood. Ref "played advantage" from Nani's handball, but obviously there was no advantage to Spurs as he then put the ball in the net Just bizarre all round.

So what are the decisions that rival these two?

SER19

The Roy Carroll fumble was a terrible call in our favour.

You could make a thread about this season alone have contenders for the worst against us. Scholes offiide v porto back in 2004 or so was absurd. Drogba offside in a title decider was pathetic. Theres usuall something any time anthony taylor referees too.

tomaldinho1

And, after the brief nostalgia trip, made me realise that this probably is the single worst officiating decision I've ever seen go against us (and there's a few for that title). How the lino concluded there was an offside there is beyond me, never mind Ellary backing up the decision.

And, after laughing for a bit, thought about how this goal should never ever have stood. Ref "played advantage" from Nani's handball, but obviously there was no advantage to Spurs as he then put the ball in the net Just bizarre all round.

That genuinely boggles the mind, there is nothing in the sequence that is even remotely close to offside.

Fletcher getting a red vs Arsenal for a world class tackle against Fabregas, the ball even completely changes direction

KeanoMagicHat

The ones that stick out to me are:

1) Drogba was a mile offside at Old Trafford in the PL 2009/10. Chelsea won the league by one point.
2) Paul Scholes was well onside in the CL in 2003/04 against Porto, would have put us a goal up in the tie. End up losing to Mourinho's Porto and that cnut is created. Weak CL there too, we hadn't our best team but you never know if we beat the soon to be champions.
3) Nani's red card against Real Madrid, sickening as we were playing so well that match and every incident similar to it for the next year was a yellow card - including Benzema for Real Madrid. That was Fergie's last year and he'd played a blinder tactically, didn't deserve that.

One in favour:

1) Roy Carroll obviously.
2) Some Bruno Fernandes penalty a few years ago, against Villa I think? Where he was ridiculously given a penalty.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
2nd after the Roy Carroll one has got to be when Jonny Evans sent Drogba to the spirit realm with a flying kick to the chest for no reason then Drogba faked a seizure and got a yellow card for diving. Good times!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Against: Not recent but Kevin Moran being sent off in the 1985 cup final, even the Everton players were gobsmacked at the decision

For: Probably the Roy Carroll one

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I see a few Drogba offside mentions for worst calls against United but no Macheda scoring with his hands in the same game for worst calls for United.

Two others for involving Chelsea:

Clattenburg sending off Torres for diving when he was clearly fouled and should have been a red for Evans. Instead of 10 vs 10 after that decision it was 11 vs 9. Also Hernandez's winner in that game was offside.

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved by a United player into another United player.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I see a few Drogba offside mentions for worst calls against United but no Macheda scoring with his hands in the same game for worst calls for United.

Clattenburg sending off Torres for diving when he was clearly fouled and should have been a red for Evans. Instead of 10 vs 10 after that decision it was 11 vs 9. Also Hernandez's winner in that game was offside.

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved into the other United player.
Ha, yeah I remember that game - was genuinely a hilarious/ridiculous game.

Was the other red card for Mikel in that game? Remember it being some what dubious as well?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ha, yeah I remember that game - was genuinely a hilarious/ridiculous game.

Was the other red card for Mikel in that game? Remember it being some what dubious as well?
Ramirez who could speak 5 words of English at the time claimed he heard Clattenburg say something racist. The story should have been the absolute shit show refereeing but it was instead overshadowed by the obviously bullshit racism accusations.

Edit: The other red was for Ivanovic and there were no complaints.

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Nani's red against Madrid, in my first visit to Old Trafford, and Sir Alex's last CL game, where we could've won the whole thing.

For us, probably that Roy Carroll howler vs portsmouth

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved by a United player into another United player.
Luiz probably asked him to do it as the shock would have help his hair remain all frazzled up :D

Annihilate Now!

Scout
For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Vidic got away with one here:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The Mascherano red card was a lucky one for us.

Di Maria red for the pull on the ref was ridiculous.
How was the lucky? Guy was on a yellow and completely lost the plot with his dissent towards the ref. Deserved red.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
The Mascherano red card was a lucky one for us.
no way, that was deserved, he just lost his head. The surprise was he did not get a ban for the abuse he gave the ref.

For us the Roy Carroll one was the first i thought of.

Against us, the Nani one against Madrid was an absolute sickener, we were cruising through that tie until that moment.

Blood Mage

Both involved Nani. His ridiculous red card in the CL and his hilarious goal against Spurs that should never have stood.

siw2007

Going against us, the Scholes offside call against Porto in 2004 was a shocking call. Probs about 4 players playing him on and ended up knocking us out of the cup and saw Mourinho’s rise to fame.

Personable mentions - Any time the ref put his whistle to mouth in the game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 2009. I was fuming with Toure handballing one line against Rooney at OT in 2006 and then Adebayour scoring with his hand in 2008, fortunately we won both of those. Also hacked off with Nani red vs Madrid in 2013 and some big calls made by the ref vs Leicester in 2014 but those were more subjective.

Going for us - definitely Carrol dropping the ball over the line in I think 2005? So lucky with that one, think it was proven that the ref and linesman couldn’t see it but still ridiculous that they were the only two not to see it.

Honourable mentions - Rooney dive in 2004 against Arsenal, though it felt kind good to beat them after their antics the year before. I think Vidic not being sent off vs Villa in the 2010 cup final because it was too early in the game was lucky. And again in 2017 when we got the offside call vs Southampton, which was lucky, though I am an advocate for that call being considered offside by the rules but that’s personal.

Ramirez who could speak 5 words of English at the time claimed he heard Clattenburg say something racist. The story should have been the absolute shit show refereeing but it was instead overshadowed by the obviously bullshit racism accusations.

Edit: The other red was for Ivanovic and there were no complaints.
Chelsea should have been absolutely crucified for their behaviour in that game but instead the Ramirez thing shut the whole conversation down. It was well planned.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Rooney's dive to end those cnuts' unbeaten streak.
That was a dive, but then Ronaldo had the most stonewall penalty ever seen waved away minutes later (9:03 here):

Arsenal can feck off.

pacifictheme

Just want to say that offside in the 1999 fa cup semi final in hindsight was probably one of the best decisions we've ever gotten.

The replay was a huge moment for us in that season.

Get fecked Arsenal :devil:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Nani red card against Real Madrid is an absolutely ridiculous decision. One of those where the referee is the only one who thinks it.

Oranges038

Yellow card "on the brink of a red" according to the commentary.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
best decision: glaziers passing the fit and proper owner’s test.

worst decision: sacking mourinho.

Oranges038

Pedro Mendes should really have not bothered coming to Manchester. :lol:
I never even read the thread title..just responded to that post I thought this was still the referees and var thread.

That cnut Bosvelt for not getting anything for this tackle on Irwin.

Edit. I think they took him off for his own safety after that.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.
I don't see what is so outrageous about this but you guys love to bring this up every time you can. :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
One of the worst was the corner-goal we scored against Chelsea - when we took a short corner which the ref and linesman missed. Luckily we scored when we retook the corner.

SonOfFergie

I don't see what is so outrageous about this but you guys love to bring this up every time you can. :lol:
Just stop. United would have beaten Madrid without this red. You don't brandish a red card for such challenge in such a game. Same as Nigel De Jong's tackle on Xabi Alonso in World Cup wasn't punished with a red and it was 10 times worse.

lex talionis

Without any question the Ray Carroll decision in our favor was the greatest horror referee decision in recent United memory. But second on that list, one that went against us, was the offside decision on Scholes v Porto. Clear as day he was onside by a mile (ok, only a yard) and that decision fekked us in the CL which was absolutely going to be ours that year and sent Jose into supernova as a manager.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Argh, someone has brought up that f*cking Turkish referee and now my evening is ruined again.

I don't think I've ever (irrationally?) hated a complete stranger as much as I hate him and his smug face for being the only person on Earth who thought that was a red card.

Then again, it probably is now with VAR.

KeanoMagicHat

Because Nani clearly has his eyes on the ball and controlling it and then Arbeloa comes flying in from nowhere playing for the foul. At no point is Nani making a tackle or trying to make any kind of foul. Arbeloa is like the footballing equivalent of someone driving along the road normally and jumping in front of a car, then suing for injuries.