What's the worst decision you've seen go for and against us?

Brophs

The One and Only
Mark Hughes’ red card at 10:01 of this video. Never touched him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
3) THe FA cup goal vs Huddersfield where it was onside so the VAR guy drew his own 6 year old lines to make it look offside instead.
I totally forgot about this :lol:

They tried to clear it up later by saying these were the real lines... But even these are wrong as they're not running parallel with the box

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I totally forgot about this :lol:

They tried to clear it up later by saying these were the real lines... But even these are wrong as they're not running parallel with the box

Yeah I remember that, but it was obvious bollocks as why would anyone draw different lines to send to the TV coverage? There's literally no reason to do that unless you realised it wasn't actually offside and needed to pretend it was, and even then its extraordinarily dumb because of how obviously wrong the lines are, and the fact it was so close you could probably just draw the lines properly and still say it was offside.

I still can't work this one out as its just too stupid to be a mistake but even if you work on the idea it wasn't it still doesn't make any sense, so it also must have been a mistake. The only real plausible explanation is the VAR official was a 5 year old with a crayon.

gormless

They were under the cosh when they scored that and we were easily the better team for the entire second half. I also don't remember our goal being offside. It was possibly handball, but the game was killed by the Drogba goal anyway...and it arguably decided the league.

Of course hard to whittle an entire season down to one decision, but it was just so blatantly wrong and in the most important game of the season, and the more you watch it back the harder it is to explain how it wasn't given. It's not like there was any subjective element to it, and it was 100% clear and in full view of the linesman.
might have been handball, not offside. I just remember thinking at the time that our goal should have been disallowed

Ole'sattheWheel

Am I the only United fan who thinks the Nani red card wasn't dodgy?
His foot was so high,I know he had his eyes solely on the ball, unfortunate but you can't be jumping around with your foot that high in the air - it's dangerous play. Imagine arbeloa also had his eyes completely on the ball and went to head it, he'd have got kicked in the face

noodlehair

"It's like..."
might have been handball, not offside. I just remember thinking at the time that our goal should have been disallowed
It was handball but not exactly clear cut. At worst very easy to miss in the pre VAR days.

As opposed to the offside which was probably the most blatantly wrong decision I've seen in any football game. Certainly struggling to think of a worse one...there was that City player who got away with basically assaulting someone that time, Thatcher I think? But can't remember who that was against.

Cloud7

The Bruno goal against city last season is still a bit ridiculous for me. I don’t see how Rashford wasn’t interfering with the play with what he was doing.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

His foot was so high,I know he had his eyes solely on the ball, unfortunate but you can't be jumping around with your foot that high in the air - it's dangerous play. Imagine arbeloa also had his eyes completely on the ball and went to head it, he'd have got kicked in the face
I think it has to do with the feeling that, if the roles were reversed, Cakir would have never produced a straight red to a Real Madrid player. Especially if the game was held at The Bernabéu.

Cloud7

It wasn’t dodgy. It’s just a bitter moment, and I obviously hate the ref for his call, but if that had happened the other way around we would definitely have been calling for a red.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It was handball but not exactly clear cut. At worst very easy to miss in the pre VAR days.

As opposed to the offside which was probably the most blatantly wrong decision I've seen in any football game. Certainly struggling to think of a worse one...there was that City player who got away with basically assaulting someone that time, Thatcher I think? But can't remember who that was against.
Just checked and it was Pedro Mendes who Thatcher assaulted. The same Pedro Mendes who's half way line goal didn't count against us. Maybe the refs just hated him.

Also watching his goal vs us back I'd have to put that level with the Drogba offside :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
With time I’ve gotten over the Nani red card, and don’t quite think it’s the scandal it appeared to be. There’s no intent there, but it’s still a high foot and he wasn’t aware of his opponent. We’ve seen them given.

It changed the game that night, but I think Dortmund would’ve knocked us out in the next round anyway, if not them then Bayern. It’s not like Porto 2004 where I could see us going on to win the whole thing.

stewm

One that did go our way against Real. 1968 semi final second leg. Nobby Styles decks Amancio off the ball, unseen by the ref prompting an impressed Paddy Crerand to exclaim” fckin’ hel Nob”.
Amancio was somewhat subdued for the rest of the match.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Champions League 2000. United 2 Madrid 3.
First leg 0-0.
In the first half and with 0-1 on the scoreboard, Karanka's handball. Penalty and expulsion according to the regulations of the time.

In the first leg, there was already a goal disallowed in first-half stoppage time against United. In Spain they didn't do the repetition but it seemed very, very tight.

Video Minute 4:23

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I see a few Drogba offside mentions for worst calls against United but no Macheda scoring with his hands in the same game for worst calls for United.

Two others for involving Chelsea:

Clattenburg sending off Torres for diving when he was clearly fouled and should have been a red for Evans. Instead of 10 vs 10 after that decision it was 11 vs 9. Also Hernandez's winner in that game was offside.

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved by a United player into another United player.
To be fair, allowing the kicking Luiz in the bollox should actually be in the rules of the game.

Lyng

Arbeloa did got to the ball before being tackled. I get it was an important game and the decision didn't go on your favor but there was a contact and elements to interpret that foul as a red card offense so I still don't think it should be that big of a deal.
I this was you lot against Barca you would be screaming about paid refs to this day...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With time I’ve gotten over the Nani red card, and don’t quite think it’s the scandal it appeared to be. There’s no intent there, but it’s still a high foot and he wasn’t aware of his opponent. We’ve seen them given.

It changed the game that night, but I think Dortmund would’ve knocked us out in the next round anyway, if not them then Bayern. It’s not like Porto 2004 where I could see us going on to win the whole thing.
It would certainly be a red card now in the CL. As was discussed regarding the Rashford red card the other week, the focus is deliberately much more on outcome than intent these days. The referees would say that if you jump with your foot that high in the air, it's on you to be aware enough of your surroundings to make sure that contact doesn't occur with an opponent even accidentally.

This Griezmann red from a couple of seasons ago is slightly different/worse (as contact was with the head) but there was similarly no intent, a lack of awareness of where the opponent was, relatively minimal force, etc. None of that really matters though, it's still a red.

I can't remember what the rules were in 2013 though and I think it was sometime around then that intent actually got removed from the laws around serious foul play, so that intent-irrelevant outlook probably jarred a lot more then than it would now. Especially as we were used to watching the PL, which has always been more lenient.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Nani red card.

Rooney's dive to end those cnuts' unbeaten streak.
I agree with the Nani red card. We were a very good team, the best team that night, and could have won the CL.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d throw in that one of the worst decisions I’ve seen go against us was the Middlesborough handball a couple of years ago in the FA cup. The guy literally controlled it and kept the ball in play with his hand and then assisted and because of the ridiculous rules that didn’t count as an infringement. The worst thing is that’s in the post VAR world and frankly I struggle to think about a worse decision than that one!

manutddjw

Scholes vs Porto. This may have changed football. Mourinho doesn’t win the champions league and stays at porto. Changes everything

Bobski

One that almost never gets mentioned was in the cup final against Chelsea when Drogba scored the winner. Giggs had pretty much an open goal earlier in the game, ended up sliding into Cech with the ball maybe going over the line. The only reason he didn't score is because Essien launched himself at the back of Giggs knees with 2 feet up from behind stopping him getting a solid contact. I think the BBC showed the incident after the game and the idiot pundits stated it was a red card and penalty, but they didn't want the FA Cup final decided that way so it was ok

Hughes35

Probably not the actual worst but the one in our fabour was the Roy Carrol over the line goal.

Worst against was Probably the Nani sending off against Madrid. We looked good before that

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.
Watching it back it's not even as high as I'd remembered. Only chest height not head height.

What makes it worse is this sort of incident isn't even a yellow every week in English football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One that almost never gets mentioned was in the cup final against Chelsea when Drogba scored the winner. Giggs had pretty much an open goal earlier in the game, ended up sliding into Cech with the ball maybe going over the line. The only reason he didn't score is because Essien launched himself at the back of Giggs knees with 2 feet up from behind stopping him getting a solid contact. I think the BBC showed the incident after the game and the idiot pundits stated it was a red card and penalty, but they didn't want the FA Cup final decided that way so it was ok
I remember years ago someone like Hernandez got a shot off, but Ashley Cole two footed into him, wiping him out seconds after.
Let go because he'd got a shot off, quite ridiculously.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Probably not the actual worst but the one in our fabour was the Roy Carrol over the line goal.

Worst against was Probably the Nani sending off against Madrid. We looked good before that
The Roy Carroll one was so ridiculous it has to top the list, even if it was obviously more inconsequential than say Scholes v Porto.
I remember watching the match in the pub and we were all saying ffs at Carroll but the match kept going and it just turned to disbelief that we'd gotten away with it. It was very funny and induced such oppo rage.

Dominos

And, after laughing for a bit, thought about how this goal should never ever have stood. Ref "played advantage" from Nani's handball, but obviously there was no advantage to Spurs as he then put the ball in the net Just bizarre all round.
Both involved Nani. His ridiculous red card in the CL and his hilarious goal against Spurs that should never have stood.
People always miss the obvious on Nani's goal vs Spurs... The reason he was on the floor in the first place is because he was blatantly fouled in the penalty area when he was through on goal. Should have been a penalty to us, and at least a yellow for the defender.

You also have to lose sympathy with the Spurs keeper when he put the ball down 10 yards further forward than where the handball took place, thinking he can just decide to take a free kick anywhere he likes on the field.

ScholesyTheWise

For us, the Roy Carroll / Pedro Mendes one was brutal...
Also, Vidic once cleared a ball with his hand inside our box, Maradonna style, and got away with it.
Was pretty funny.

Against us, can't really go past stuff like Porto in the CL, Drogba's offside in that title decider, and Nani's red card against Madrid.
And a smaller one that has irked me tremendously:

That penalty City got against us (Hojlund supposedly fouling Rodri).
Pffft. happens 20,000 times a match. absolute bollocks.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It would certainly be a red card now in the CL. As was discussed regarding the Rashford red card the other week, the focus is deliberately much more on outcome than intent these days. The referees would say that if you jump with your foot that high in the air, it's on you to be aware enough of your surroundings to make sure that contact doesn't occur with an opponent even accidentally.

This Griezmann red from a couple of seasons ago is slightly different/worse (as contact was with the head) but there was similarly no intent, a lack of awareness of where the opponent was, relatively minimal force, etc. None of that really matters though, it's still a red.

I can't remember what the rules were in 2013 though and I think it was sometime around then that intent actually got removed from the laws around serious foul play, so that intent-irrelevant outlook probably jarred a lot more then than it would now. Especially as we were used to watching the PL, which has always been more lenient.
It’s definitely become more about outcome than intent. I’ve often thought that if you’re a defender and the player you’re marking scores an overhead kick, just go down clutching your face. They’ll surely disallow it for a high foot in the VAR era.

lonelyred

The Bruno goal against city last season is still a bit ridiculous for me. I don’t see how Rashford wasn’t interfering with the play with what he was doing.
You cannot interfere with the play "psychologically", so to speak. You can do it only "physically", by doing any of these two things, and these two only: by blocking opponent goalkeeper's view to the ball or by impeding an opponent's movement physically (as explicitly stated in the Laws of the Game). Rashford had done neither.

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.
cnut Catcher, aptly named.

Levenstein

For us:
Chicarito 3-2 winner against Chelsea was bit offsidey (2012).

Against us:
Romero handball this season (against Tottenham). With VAR and everything, I still can’t believe it wasn’t given.

Tarrou

Without any question the Ray Carroll decision in our favor was the greatest horror referee decision in recent United memory. But second on that list, one that went against us, was the offside decision on Scholes v Porto. Clear as day he was onside by a mile (ok, only a yard) and that decision fekked us in the CL which was absolutely going to be ours that year and sent Jose into supernova as a manager.
I was at that game, and from my angle from about 20 yards out you could clearly see it beyond the post by a long way too

Gordon S

Remember Fletcher getting his legs kicked off against Cska Moscow. Well inside the penalty area, haven`t been so sure of a penalty in my life, ref gives Fletcher a yellow for diving. Certainly up there.
The Nani red was frustrating of course, but the ref had a case at least

ROFLUTION

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved by a United player into another United player.
There should be a nugget in the game which automatically awards a goal to any team that kicks David Luiz in the balls.

Man-United

Against us

the two offside goals in 2003 at Highbury. Who the assistant ref on that side was? Yes, it was Martin Atkinson of course.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Because Nani clearly has his eyes on the ball and controlling it and then Arbeloa comes flying in from nowhere playing for the foul. At no point is Nani making a tackle or trying to make any kind of foul. Arbeloa is like the footballing equivalent of someone driving along the road normally and jumping in front of a car, then suing for injuries.
That's a good analogy

stevoc

This got brought up in the VAR thread

And, after the brief nostalgia trip, made me realise that this probably is the single worst officiating decision I've ever seen go against us (and there's a few for that title). How the lino concluded there was an offside there is beyond me, never mind Ellary backing up the decision.
Out of interest, does anyone think this is a goal VAR would have disallowed today for Yorke being offside when the balls played through and then subsequently heading it onto Keane?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Against us has to be the Romero handball this season for spurs… considering when a lot less has been given this season. Also the Garnacho one against arsenal was a dodgy decision and you could even argue that Hojlund goal against Brighton where Rashford ran it out of play but Newcastle was given.

for us… maybe the goal against city last season where Bruno scored. I thought it was a goal that should have stood but that’s probably a lot more controversial. Can’t remember many we get in our favour to be fair.