What's the worst decision you've seen go for and against us?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was a dive, but then Ronaldo had the most stonewall penalty ever seen waved away minutes later (9:03 here):

Arsenal can feck off.
So much going on in that game, can remember Van Nistelrooy kneeing Ashley Cole way above the ball right infront of the assistant ref and him just giving a throw in. :lol:

That was certainly a revenge from RVN getting assaulted by the Arsenal players in previous season match. He got a retrospective 3 match ban:

CNN.com - FA charge Nistelrooy after tackle - Oct 25, 2004

VAR would've sent off about 4-5 from that game if it was available at that point.

With regards a terrible decision that went against Man. United....hmmm let me think...;) No there was a clear Rio Ferdinand tackle when you could see the ball clear deviate away for a corner and ref straight away gave a penalty. Think it was near the end of the season and cost you a title as you didn't win that game.

OldSchoolManc

Against us - The league allowing Glazers to buy us with our own money.

For us - Getting Cantona for 1 million

norm87cro

Worst: Real 2013 and Moreno not getting even a yellow in 2015 for that murder attempt on Shaw. Funnly enough both CL games. And Gatuso murdering Giggs in 05.
Worst for us: The Caroll Spurs blunder, the whole Chelsea game where they had two dissalowed goals. I always thought the Giggs Lille goal in 08 was sneaky and probably should have been taken again.

But in all honesty Fergie created a culture of english refs being scared of him and maybe not giving us blantant stuff but just edging towards us.
Has to be said

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For us

Vs. Blackburn 94/95 away.

0-1 down, Lee Sharpe through on goal, Henning Berg gets across really well, takes the ball then Sharpe, ref gives a pen and sends off Berg. It wasn't just incorrect, it was so blatantly incorrect that it just seemingly defied all logic in the moment.

We go on to win 2-4.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Not directly, but Chelsea not getting a pen versus Barcelona in 09 cost United the Champions League.

lex talionis

The Moreno chainsaw on Shaw is a good shout. Clear as day it was a sending off offence but it wasn’t even called a foul.

Valencia Shin Crosses

As far as recent ones go, the Martinez handball last year had me almost punch a hole in the wall, and Hojlund getting put in a sleeper hold by Gabriel after beating him at Arsenal this season where no one even bothered to give it a second look was abysmal. Absolute stonewall pen.

PaulRich

Id say FA cup quarters against Forest in 1989 - McClair had the ball two yards over the line when Steve hodge cleared it only for it to be ruled out

Tyrion

For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.
I remember that tackle being a lot more innocent than it actually was. The mind really does play tricks :lol:

dazjoe

Neville not giving away a pen against West Brom in 2010-11 was a shocker. He also should have been done against Barnsley in the FA Cup, clear foul in the box and got away with it.

Against us? Not on the pitch but off it, Scholes and Rooney get sent off in pre-season and get 3 match bans. Gerrard gets sent off in pre-season? No ban.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Nani red card sat on top of an AWFUL decision in the away match, where a blatant last-man trip by Varane went unpunished.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think the Martinez handball last season has to be up there. Not only was it a bad call which is directly in contrast to the actual rules of the game, it came in the var era when they could and should have picked up on such a glaring error.

MattofManchester

I remember that tackle being a lot more innocent than it actually was. The mind really does play tricks :lol:
I still don't think it was that bad. Nani wasn't looking, and when he notices, he tries to pull out and barely touches, I think it's Arbeloa, who goes down like the world is ending.
It's sad, because we were in complete control of that prior to the red.

PaulRich

Going back a bit but the 'no goal' in the 1989 FA Cup Quarter Final vs Forest where McClair put the over the line to equalize, with Steve Hodge clearing from at least 2 feet inside the goal. The only saving grace being we avoided the trip to Hillsborough for the now infamous semi final.

Reiver

For all the Nani Red Card mentions:

The thing that makes it worse for me is how the ref made a massive show of it - one of those obvious occassions where the ref absolutely loved being the centre of attention and giving a red card.
I was in disbelief at the time.
Also a few minutes earlier we had a corner and their keeper goes to punch it but catches Vidic square on. No penalty, no card. I can't even remember if the keeper got the ball. I think it was a disgrace of a decision particularly considering what was to come for Nani.
Maybe I've built it up in my head over time, l don't know.

MattofManchester

If we think more recently, the no-pen decision for Hojlund being held in the game by Arsenal, then following it up later by awarding a pen for the same thing against us for more minimal contact against City is one.
Then, even further exacerbating the issue is Harry Maguire being yanked down at a corner in the game against Luton, and there isn't even a replay for it. We get the video off social media.

If we're talking about bad decisions that affected history and key moments, it was probably worse before. If we're talking in terms of just plain terrible decision making, I think it's worse now than ever before.

In the past, yeah, refs make mistakes in high pressure situations. With the inclusion of VAR, and with these 3 incidents being the exact same thing, and only once being penalised, officiating is more a flip of a coin than anything else. These days, it looks more like refs don't even know what the rules are supposed to be themselves.

stevoc

If we think more recently, the no-pen decision for Hojlund being held in the game by Arsenal, then following it up later by awarding a pen for the same thing against us for more minimal contact against City is one.
Then, even further exacerbating the issue is Harry Maguire being yanked down at a corner in the game against Luton, and there isn't even a replay for it. We get the video off social media.

If we're talking about bad decisions that affected history and key moments, it was probably worse before. If we're talking in terms of just plain terrible decision making, I think it's worse now than ever before.

In the past, yeah, refs make mistakes in high pressure situations. With the inclusion of VAR, and with these 3 incidents being the exact same thing, and only once being penalised, officiating is more a flip of a coin than anything else. These days, it looks more like refs don't even know what the rules are supposed to be themselves.
Even more annoying than the ludicrous dcision not to award a penalty for that was the media, the refs and even people I spoke to in real life about it all acting as if it was a fair tackle with both going for the ball and one just being stronger. As opposed to Hojlund being in possession of the ball and being dragged to the ground in what could only be described as a rugby tackle. :lol:

BelfastRed2021

Against the drogba offside that pretty much fecked up our title at old trafford
Was it tottenham and carroll was in nets and ball was about 4 yards past the line and it wasnt given

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I remember all of us being absolutely outraged at the time and the media were certainly calling it out as a poor decision too. Whereas if that happens in today's football then I don't think there would be anywhere near as much outrage - just shows the state of modern football I guess.

Nas-JR

I feel there was a good 10 decisions in the Europa league last year... Anyone recall? Apart from the obvious Martinez one, I'm sure we had about 3 big decisions against us vs Barca alone (last man not getting a red if I remember correctly). In fact, I would love a compilation of all the terrible decisions we've had over the last 2 years across all competitions. People say it balances out but I'm starting to think it never will with us.

Edit: make it 2 and a half years. That loss to boro in the cup with Ragnick was scandalous.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel there was a good 10 decisions in the Europa league last year... Anyone recall? Apart from the obvious Martinez one, I'm sure we had about 3 big decisions against us vs Barca alone (last man not getting a red if I remember correctly). In fact, I would love a compilation of all the terrible decisions we've had over the last 2 years across all competitions. People say it balances out but I'm starting to think it never will with us.

Edit: make it 2 and a half years. That loss to boro in the cup with Ragnick was scandalous.
We did get away with a Fred handball vs. Barca to be fair.

Lemon Moon

Nani's red card vs Real Madrid still makes my piss boil.

Funniest to go against us has to be Pogba 'dabbing' in the box - What a sausage.

Fabio Rochemback

Haven't seen it mentioned yet:
08/09 at home to Spurs. We were 2-0 down and got a very dodgy penalty and went on to win 5-2.

Ibrahimorich

Paul Scholes goal against Porto the year they won the UCL. 3 players were clearly playing him onside. Think we would've won the UCL that year, Mourinho might not have gone to Chelski etc.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I see a few Drogba offside mentions for worst calls against United but no Macheda scoring with his hands in the same game for worst calls for United.

Two others for involving Chelsea:

Clattenburg sending off Torres for diving when he was clearly fouled and should have been a red for Evans. Instead of 10 vs 10 after that decision it was 11 vs 9. Also Hernandez's winner in that game was offside.

Anthony Taylor thinking there was nothing wrong with Maguire kicking David Luiz in the bollocks. He then disallowed one of our goals for Azpilicueta fouling a united player on a corner, despite Azpilicueta having been shoved by a United player into another United player.
Chelsea fairly won that game at OT in 2010 but won the previous game that season at Stamford Bridge from a JT header from a free kick that should never have been given

204Red

Against

a. Darren Fletcher 's red card vs the Arse in the 09 CL Semi... all ball, but called a peno... and the subsequent red card meant he missed the CL final where he would have made a difference. It was clear on the first replay that it was a blown call. What was particularly aggravating is that there was no process in place to overturn the suspension after the fact... its one thing to blow a call during a match (happens all the time) but to perpetuate the mistake with the suspension seemed particularly cruel (and unnecessary)

b. Rio's 6 month ban for missing a drug test, when a City bench-warmer received a slap on the wrist for doing pretty much the exact same thing struck me a a large miscarriage of justice.

c. Carrick handball vs Chelsea in 09-10 which was 1. unintentional and 2. outside the box... cost us the match late on the season and effectively handed the title to Chelsea, preventing us from being the 1st side to win 4 in a row.

For

a. Nani's goal vs Spurs was a complete joke, highly questionable officiating

b. Roy Carroll's "four yards over the line" save was bad - but in fairness given that the ball had travelled 1/2 the length of the pitch in such a short period of time, this one would have been difficult to call correctly in real time - kind of the perfect play to justify goal line technology (I believe Spurs would have won that match he the goal been correctly awarded).

c. I seem to recall a CL match vs Celtic in 09 after we had recently acquired Berba, we won 3-0 and he scored twice, but replays showed all 3 of our goals were offside and allowed to stand

Last edited:

lex talionis

The Nani red card and the Scholes offside. Clear as day horror calls and highly consequential in the CL. Get past Real and before that Porto and we’ve got two more CL trophies in our cabinet.

ScholesyTheWise

For us

Vs. Blackburn 94/95 away.

0-1 down, Lee Sharpe through on goal, Henning Berg gets across really well, takes the ball then Sharpe, ref gives a pen and sends off Berg. It wasn't just incorrect, it was so blatantly incorrect that it just seemingly defied all logic in the moment.

We go on to win 2-4.

Blimey. That's really really bad officiating.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A random one that sticks out in my mind is when McT didn't get a penalty for being full on assaulted by Kongolo when we played Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford.

Can't find a video of it but here's a pic to rejog everyones memory

wolvored

The Spurs 'goal' that Carroll scooped out of the net. The ball was about 4' over the line and Scholes wrongly called offside goal against Porto. We would have won the Ch Lge that season. Think it was the game that got Howard pushed out by Fergie.

stevoc

Was it against Chelsea in the FA Cup final, 2007 I think. Giggs had the ball over the line and the linesman missed it?

lysglimt

Scout
When I have had time to think about it - Paul Bosvelt only getting a yellow for that "tackle" on Irwin - might possible be the worst decision involving United. Most others you can sort of explain away, the ref missed it - the linesman was in a bad position etc - but that was possible the most red card in modern day and age that wasnt given