Whats wrong at Chelsea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
- Mourinho quoted as 'being is a bad mood' since he came back from summer holidays
- Stupid and immature comments about the Fat Spanish Waiter.
- No Major incoming transfers despite winning league last year
- No wins pre season
- No wins in first 2 matches of PL season
- Team looks very ordinary, especially the defence
- Pathetic melodrama and overreaction with clubs doctor and physio

Plenty of symptoms that something is not quite right at Chelsea. But I cant put my finger on exactly what it can be. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
My guess, Jose got a long term contract and he's throwing a power trip to wrest control from someone else within the club who may or may not be incharge of football matters and acting like a buffer between him and Roman.

Raw

They're just a bit shit at the moment. They'll shake it off, go on a decent run and fight for the title.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Mou in his usual 3rd season meltdown? :lol:

But yeah, on a serious note. No idea. I'm sure the money is there if Mou wanted to sign anyone. He's come out repeatedly to say his happy with his squad. Though seeing players like Vidal move - without Chelsea interested is strange. I'd say a player like Vidal/Pogba would strengthen them.

vodrake

Maybe just a bit of complacency after the ease with which they won the title last season. Players in the wrong mindset, Abramovich thinking he doesn't need to give them much funds in order to remain at the top, and Mourinho frustrated at both and getting more and more erratic.

mufcwarm92

Amazing how quickly a regukar back four can go from being a strength to a weakness. Ivanovic and Cahill look uncharacteristically vulnerable and this business with Terry certainly won't help. Chelsea will hope Baba hits the ground running as they could do with pushing Azpi to the right and giving someone a rest. Something has to change for them.

Blackwidow

Mou in his usual 3rd season meltdown? :lol:

But yeah, on a serious note. No idea. I'm sure the money is there if Mou wanted to sign anyone. He's come out repeatedly to say his happy with his squad. Though seeing players like Vidal move - without Chelsea interested is strange. I'd say a player like Vidal/Pogba would strengthen them.
Are you so sure about the money question?
I do not speak about buying similar players than he has - but I do not think that the money is there to really improve the squad. The quote last week about Real, Barca and Bayern told a lot, too.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
They weren't that good in the first place.
No idea who they play next, but I reckon they'll draw it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
That counters none of the arguments in the OP though does it. Even if Ramires' goal stood, everything in the OP would still be correct except maybe you get a point today. Emphasis on the 'maybe'.
You should read the whole link :drool:

"We dominated after the interval and after Ramires’s goal was disallowed, Hazard drew a fine stop from Joe Hart. Two late City goals, from Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho, added some gloss to a final scoreline which did not accurately reflect the bigger picture. ....

We had a good claim for a penalty with eight minutes played ...

Kurt Zouma replaced Terry for the second period, which we started excellently. ....

The Chelsea pressure was mounting and the royal-blue momentum nearly paid off with 20 minutes to go. ...

NessunDorma

Mourinho's never spent more than 3 years at any one club. Maybe he's just thinking of f*cking off again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I do not speak about buying similar players than he has - but I do not think that the money is there to really improve the squad. The quote last week about Real, Barca and Bayern told a lot, too.

Also Mourinho made a strange comment yesterday about about having 'the moral right' to make big signings. That sounded like a message to his board who I think have told him he does not have significant $$ to invest in new players. I think he is in a massive strop about that and stomping around the place all annoyed until they give him the money.

Cait Sith

Fabregas doesn't deliver in big games, the RW position is up for grabs (no idea why they wouldn't go for Pedro, maybe Pedro doesn't fancy playing for Mourinho), Costa has dodgy harmstrings and is a bit of a donkey despite his goals, their defense is slow, Azpilicueta gets nosebleed when he crosses the halfway line. A lot that could be improved. I'm actually disappointed they weren't challenged properly by anybody last season. They are a good but far from a great team. If they don't camp with 10 men around their own box this is what most quality attacking teams like City let alone the Champions League heavyweights will do to them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Their team is pretty average. There's a select few that are truly good enough. And of those, Cesc is emasculated any time a big game or January is near, Terry is too old and immobile against the top tier, and Hazard isn't anywhere near as good as people think to singlehandedly carry them for a whole season.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'm not convinced (yet) that too much is different. They were the best of a bad bunch last season, they've been smashed this season by a Man City who can be very dangerous when they're not fecking about and Mourinho has been his usual twat self. They had the Spurs humiliation and a feeble European campain last season, amongst other things. All peaches and cream it wasn't.

Still one of a few teams that'll win the league.

Callum93

Add to the OP that Chelsea have been lauded and perceived to be the team to destroy the league before the season kicked off by 90% of neutrals, and it makes the current predicament seem even worse.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Mourinho actually seems very pissed since pre season for some reason and that is probably playing a part. Other than that they aren't as invincible as people thought after last season. They have got a settled XI and formation per manager's liking but with not a strong squad to back it up, they are prone to bad runs if the first XI is not at its best.

I don't think there is a major problem though. We too had a very mediocre start to 2007-08 campaign, with 2 points in 3 games and then relied on few late 1-0 wins thereafter. It wasn't until October we started scoring freely in the league. On other hand, In 2008-09, Chelsea had started very impressively under Scolari only for it to go tits up after December. So, it is too early to draw conclusions.

Gopher Brown

When you look at their squad there isn't much strength in depth. I wonder if Abramovich is unwilling to invest significantly because the first team is fairly strong and they are good at avoiding injuries. I have no idea what players like Willian and Cuadrado contribute to the team, and when Hazard is off, the team can't do anything.

Fully Fledged

If you take a good look you have to go all the way back to January to see a really dominant Chelsea. They were lucky that City didn't put a run together in the second half of last season either.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Jose is the master of making his teams feel like the world is against them, and the only way they are going to survive is by coming together.

This time he has fecked up, and started a civil war. Again.

Minimalist

No idea really but the team looks like it lacks fitness and depth.

Also can't help but remember (or at least history suggests) Mourinho tends to see his 'influence' significantly wane after the first two seasons.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm still tentative to write off Chelsea at all: they've had an average pre-season and a terrible start to the league season, but they still have plenty of quality and will probably bounce back, competing for the title and being in with a decent chance of winning it.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Lampard is gone, Terry is over the hill and Roman aint splashing the cash anymore.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, like most of us, honestly have no idea! But I'd assume with the new TV deals & being champions etc - they should at least be able to spend a bit. They've also sold a lot of players thus raising a bit of cash.

But yeah, if something is going on, it'll be interesting.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
1. Cech going above his head and Roman going against Jose's wishes. Couldn't helped matters
2. No improvements in the squad
3. No big transfer money going around this summer
4. Hunger? Some players, plus the manager who has won this league multiple times now, might not be up for it as much. Fabregas hasn't looked interested for months now to be fair and he can't play the holding role well at all.
5. Age. Key players have gotten older and some are in their mid 30s, with no people there to step in.

But, it's only the 2nd game. We were bottom after our third game in 07/08 and went on to be robbed of a treble, but winning the league and CL at the end of it.

ChaddyP

It really is early days. Im not even that worried about Man City. I believe we have won this league in the past having the stronger squad and not necessarily the strongest starting 11. Its a long haul teams have started fast before and faded and teams have also like us started crap and slow and really push on during Christmas and March and gone on to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.