What's your darkest moment as a United fan?

MasterDarcy

Sir Alex retiring.

It wasn't just an icon leaving the club, it was far greater than that.

SAF has his DNA woken into the Manchester United quilt. When he left, it tore the club apart.

Might seem dramatic, but the club is now a shadow of what it was, on and off the park.

I don't know if the club will recover.

joedirt87

Every day since Fergie left. It's like that scene in Office Space where Peter tells the shrink every day is the worst day.

I would also say the Sevilla game at OT under Mourinho was pretty dark.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Collapsing in March and April during the 91-92 season to hand the title to Leeds. Honestly thought we'd win it for the first time in my lifetime, only to throw it away in a matter of weeks.
Probably this but thankfully it was only 1 year later that we could forget it all and party

losing the league to City on that Aguero goal too, Everton draw in particular still gives nightmares

Champions League final losses to Barca also a killer

Ranie

1. Fergie waving goodbye after that 5-5 draw against West Brom. I somehow knew we would be in for a very tough time.

2. The 4-1 loss at home against Liverpool in 2009. Didn’t really matter but I just remember how angry I was after that.

3.The loss in the CL final against Barca in 2009. I genuinely believed we had a chance.

Though the last years have been tough they’ve been colored by the fact the club is run by a bunch of clowns. I’ve learned to not be that involved emotionally anymore.

Tarrou

First final against Barca

we were arguably the best team in the world a year or so prior and suddenly we looked a million miles away..

mikeyt

Has to be when Fergie retired, not just because I knew we'd never see anything like him again but because it also meant no-one was there to stand up against the Glazers.

Everything since then, the 5-0, the 7-0, the Ole era, where we are today, all as a result of the above.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I was at the game, it was brutal. We actually played some great attacking football, but we looked like conceding every time we didn't have possession.

City would've won the title eventually, but this felt like the game that handed it to them and started it all off. We were singing Campiones at 3-1 and 4-2. Grim.
I don’t see the clip but I assumed it’s the 4-4 v Everton. That game was actually the main reason we lost the title that season, the slip up at Wigan was always on the cards and losing at Etihad was almost a given that year, so those two points lost just before were crucial.

We almost went 5-2 when Evra hit the post seconds before their third goal.

Jericho

I don’t see the clip but I assumed it’s the 4-4 v Everton. That game was actually the main reason we lost the title that season, the slip up at Wigan was always on the cards and losing at Etihad was almost a given that year, so those two points lost just before were crucial.

We almost went 5-2 when Evra hit the post seconds before their third goal.
To add insult to injury we couldn't handle Fellaini in that game, and it always felt to me like that performance of his played a part in us eventually signing him.

Mike Smalling

I've never been as angry and disappointed as that Man City vs. QPR game on the final day of the 11/12 season. You get your hopes up, and then to see QPR completely just hand it to City by basically giving the ball away after the kick-off at 2-2 was infuriating.

cj_sparky

Sir Alex's retirement.

The great mans successes shielded the club from a hell of a lot of scrutiny. Since his retirement the club has and still is playing catch up with a lot of the infrastructure behind the scenes. Whilst other aspects of the club will continue to fall behind too.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Cheering for city to win the league over Liverpool.

Christ almighty, how did it get this bad?!

Zen86

Rangnick's stint was probably the grimmest period in recent years, outside of specific games or moments.

youngrell

Random one, but I remember feeling particularly perplexed during and after the 0-2 vs Olympiakos under Moyes. Had never seen us look so clueless and disinterested and I remember Carrick giving a pretty bad post-match interview too which compounded my feelings.

After that, Sevilla in the CL under Jose, Jose in general and the whole RR era.

TBH, since the Jose days, my reaction to a loss or a dark moment has been more a shrug of the shoulders as my expectations have been so low for so long.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
When the Glazers sold Ronaldo and pocketed the money.That's when I realised what they were about and how fekked we were as a football club. Missing out on Klopp comes a close second but that was close to inevitable with Glazers in charge.
That was the end game really. We went from being top 3 clubs in the world to falling downwards ever since. That was the time to capitalise as any serious sporting organisation would have but we let Real City and Barca hoover up the best players of the next wave and that’s why we’ve been behind them ever since. It’s almost like Barcelona set the bar and we said nah feck this while City and Real threw everything at catching up and being ready to overtake . We have the worst owners. Imagine anyone else managing us in 2009? We’d have been screwed from then on really.

kaku06

The sheer shock and disbelief i was going through week in week out in 2013-14. The humiliation, the agony, the incompetence, the complete embarrassment all injected at once as the season was unfolding with moyes as our manager after being record 20 times champions just few months back. The media was enjoying, the rival fans were mocking, the whole world was laughing. The drastic fall of this behemoth of a football club overnight was nothing less than staggering like an emperor stripped naked and dragged through the dirt.
Nothing comes close.

Drizzle

The Aguero moment. I'd successfully staved off getting excited until the very last minute. Then I couldn't help it and got completely euphoric, just in time for that absolute kick in the face.

Dark times. Probably the lowest I've ever felt.

Sadly I've had a lot of very low moments since - particularly Liverpool winning big trophies and various humiliating batterings - but I've become almost used to it now.

tomaldinho1

7-0
QPR bottling it against City
Pool winning the CL then PL in back to back seasons

KeanoMagicHat

Some bad moments:

1) Losing 2-0 to Olympiacos in 13/14 CL, won the second leg 3-0 but that was one of our worst ever performances.
2) Losing to Sevilla in the CL in 17/18 and Mourinho’s football heritage speech. Pretty much all the crap Mourinho did from that point onwards to try to get himself sacked.
3) The first game against Liverpool when it was 5-0 at Old Trafford and then Liverpool pulled up to save themselves in 21/22, in general just losing a combined 15-1 to City and Liverpool that season. Never have we felt so far from the top.
4) The 7-0 game.

From the Fergie years maybe not the darkest but most disappointing:

1) Losing the 2005 FA Cup final to Arsenal after playing them off the pitch
2) Losing to Real Madrid in the CL in Fergie’s last year after playing a blinder but that stupid Nani red costing us.

gregwar

The last few months of the Mourinho era.

Moyes was an absolute shitshow but wrote it off at the time as a mistake that could (and naively would) be corrected. Van Gaal's football was forgettable but there was some sort of idea there. Solskjaer had his limitations but we had some great moments and he brought a bit of feel good factor to the club again.

But 18/19 under Mourinho was when I conceded we were completely f**ked. Think I started looking forward to international breaks for a week away from anything to do with United. I've pissed out kidney stones more enjoyable than those few months. Just bleak.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This summer, realising that the Glazers may not actually be serious about selling the club, whilst at the same time watching the club struggle with FFP due to lack of equity investment from themselves.

Josep Dowling

Lowest point was probably under Van Gaal when we lost 3-0 to Stoke. Just knocked out of the Champions League and we had been shockingly bad for weeks, I thought it would be his last game. It was the first time I bet United to lose a game. Since Van Gaal I’ve had more acceptance that we aren’t going to get close to the title, especially with the Glazers owning the club.

stevoc

All the more depressing when we learned after the fact that Fergie was informally courting the likes of Pep and Ancelotti.
Well he was (Pep anyway) but not really. Moyes was his first choice once he knew he was retiring.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To add insult to injury we couldn't handle Fellaini in that game, and it always felt to me like that performance of his played a part in us eventually signing him.
Nah, he was basically the only midfielder Moyes knew. We would have signed him regardless.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The main one is SAF's retirement, I was sad, probably cried, I'm too old to even admit to that now.

What followed was a roller coaster of dark moments can't even point out at one, if it has to be one it's probably last season's 7-0 but there are many others mentioned by previous posters.

stevoc

The Moyes era, his appointment signalled that we weren't a serious football club anymore. Letting the manager choose his own successor, agreeing with him when he picked an average one and then giving the dope a 6 year contract as if that was somehow going to make him a top manager.

The whole debacle really highlighted that we are owned and ran by clowns that don't have a Scooby Doo.

.Phil1968

Being at Anfield in 1992 when we lost 2-0 to ensure we'd lost the league to Leeds . I remember saying to my mate afterwards that we were never going to win the title again. Little did I know. That 7-0 last year was a kick in the nuts too

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
7-0, Moyes appointment, and 6-1 against City with Fergie was really bad. Funny, two out of those were Fergie's moments.

For me, it was the appointment of Ralf Rangnick. I remember caf getting giddy and ready to jump on you as soon as you doubt that man's credentials. There wasn't even a new manager bounce with this lad.
I seriously don't see what's wrong with that that people hate him that much. He was always an interim manager, better than appointing the likes of Giggs, etc. Many teams had interim managers, what's so bad about that?

RedfromIreland

Some bad moments:

1) Losing 2-0 to Olympiacos in 13/14 CL, won the second leg 3-0 but that was one of our worst ever performances.
2) Losing to Sevilla in the CL in 17/18 and Mourinho’s football heritage speech. Pretty much all the crap Mourinho did from that point onwards to try to get himself sacked.
3) The first game against Liverpool when it was 5-0 at Old Trafford and then Liverpool pulled up to save themselves in 21/22, in general just losing a combined 15-1 to City and Liverpool that season. Never have we felt so far from the top.
4) The 7-0 game.

From the Fergie years maybe not the darkest but most disappointing:

1) Losing the 2005 FA Cup final to Arsenal after playing them off the pitch
2) Losing to Real Madrid in the CL in Fergie’s last year after playing a blinder but that stupid Nani red costing us.
66 years supporting Utd through all kinds off trials and tribulations, that result still bugs me no end.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sir Alex retiring was inevitable, it was a sad day, but not a dark one as it was always coming.

Moyes being appointed Manager was awful for me, I knew it was the wrong decision. Jose talking smack about our heritage wasn't great. Our actual Manager putting the boot in our clubs history... feck that man.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
When Mourinho was appointed United manager.