When did Zlatan peak?

Scarr

Quite a lot. Certainly loads more than last year. There'll be no restricted play. Free flowing football which will result in a lot of goals.

van Persie

It was in his last season for Inter Milan probably, but he's played at an amazing level for a decade and still is.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ibrahimović's peak is incredibly hard to define because his growth curve has been really unusual, so you could probably point towards upto 3 separate bands where he was at, or close to his peak in different departments.

1. Internazionale: Before this, Zlatan was more of a lanky, gifted athlete who was still figuring out his physical skillset, and was quite tactically stunted despite his technical expertise. Capello did a lot of good for him at Juventus - and made him a less wasteful player, but the dividends of that economization started to pay off post-Calciopoli. In the overall physical prime of his life - and central to what the club achieved under Mancini (double Scudetto) and Mourinho's Inter Part 1. Great at club level, but you always got the sense that he could develop into an even better player, overall - and this was probably the start of his peak, particularly for the national team.

2. AC Milan: This is where he took a big step forward in terms of maturity and greater consistency, and being a reliable 'leader' after the Barcelona debacle where he cast aside by Guardiola. Slightly diminished physical skillset when compared with his Internazionale days, but he was now armed with a better appreciation of the game and a smoother temperament - which also translated into improved performances for Sweden. Reckon this is where he was at his physical/production best as a whole - the median between Internazionale and PSG. Particularly his last season in Milan,where he was exquisite.

3. Paris Saint-Germain - Sustained physical deterioration (got slower and less agile when compared with peak Internazionale), but at the top of his game from a mental and tactical standpoint, and packed with muscles after the Milan stint. At this stage, he has seemingly figured everything out - knows what he's best at and what his limitations are, and it could be argued that he can't improve further beyond this level, and he hasn't - truth be told. Despite his statistical prowess last season, as a overall forward - Zlatan played his best football for PSG between 2012 and 2013, IMO.

One things that elevates Milan and PSG beyond Internazionale is the fact that he started delivering more decisive performances for Sweden (which wasn't always the case in his Ajax or Juventus or Inter days - where he often blew hold and cold). If push comes to shove in terms of a concrete 3 year peak, then probably the latter stages of 2011, 2012, and 2013-ish. Who knows, though - his career as an individual is so unique (and so opposed to conventional sporting wisdom) that he might surprise us all, and produce one (or hopefully two) last bang(s) on the big stages.

Eddy_JukeZ

Would say from his last season in Milan to PSG.

Hopefully can sustain it this season, but if not, then near those peak levels would be great for us.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
His peak was a very long one. You could pick any season between a 27 and a 34 year old Zlatan and consider it his peak. He has performed at a consistently high level for so many years it is just incredible he can still remain motivated at this age to keep his body in top form which becomes harder and harder to do.

We've seen many top footballers who have 1 or max 2 peak seasons and suffer great decline in form when they get to 30 or 31.

podurban2

Mentally he is peaking now, physically he peaked during his Serie A phase, and during his PSG phase.. he was probably his most balanced at combining still very strong physical capacity with newfound and ever growing maturity. I think Zlatan has a very weird growth curve and like the man himself is impossible to define.

In an ideal world, Zlatan with his mentality now and with his Ajax/early Serie A body/skills could have been Messi/Ronaldo level of brilliance but he never has had it all at the same time for me.

Personally I really like our version of Zlatan, he just comes across as such a warrior and no flakiness to him. I believe this club was made for him.
This.

Personally I think he was most spectacular in Inter, but he has so much more to his locker today.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
His seasons at Milan were quite amazing - their decline after he and Silva were sold is telling.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
He's always been very gifted and had great years in Italy but I love his highlights at Ajax under Koeman when he had the pace/acceleration to compliment his skill on the ball

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'd say his last season with Milan and his 1st season with PSG: so between 2011 & 2013.

Zlatan was a fully accomplished footballer in the sense that he delivered consistent performances and was still able to challenge the defenders at times with his speed.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
has been aging like fine wine
A fine white wine probably. It it took people a decade to appreciate it, they just knew sh*t about wine.

Iirc he said in his biography that he gained a lot of weight at Juve due to a bad diet (pasta and pizza all the time). Slimmed down when he got to Inter so I'd say by then he hadn't lost his pace. It only became apparent after 2010.
No, at Juve he gained about 10 kilo's in muscles, but it turned the extra weight cost him his quick feet, so he slimmed down the muscles. Today that probably wouldn't make such a difference because he doesn't do much dribbling anymore.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The only one who would know is his wife and countless thousands of lovers.

Jaybomb

He's in his peak right now. 50 goals last season and 3 goals in 2 games for us.

Still hilarious to me that some people were purely looking at his age and saying he was past it. Do they not watch football? :wenger:

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
When he played for Malmo I think he played like Martial plays for us, an inside forward from the left side (can anyone from Sweden confirm?). He dribbled a lot and tried things, some games he was Messi and others he was Memphis. AJax bought him and put him (a rebellious individualist) through the Ajax program of what a striker should do. Ajax' requirements of a striker are insane. He should be able to hold up play, bounce the ball back with his back to goal, be at the first post for any cross from any side, be a good header, play in the wingers, dribble, be as good as a "10" in linking up play, be a poacher in the box and finish....the list goes on. Zlatan played like a cross between a bad Fellaini and Memphis, alternating failed dribbles with crunching elbows.

He also did not get on with some noteworthy team-mates, most notably Rafael van der Vaart and at times Egyptian striker Mido. Mido, pressured by Zlatan, threw a pair of scissors straight at his head but narrowly missed him and got stuck in the door. He once held van der Vaart by his throat and threatened him that if he ever leaked something to the press again he would beat him up good. During an international friendly between Holland and Sweden Zlatan purposely tried to injure van der Vaart and succeeded. There were also rumours that Zlatan had too friendly relations with van der Vaarts girlfriend/wife (can't be bothered to remember) at the time Sylvie Meis, who was pretty hot, though this was never substantiated.

Zlatan only played really well for Ajax for a short time near the end. That wasn't Zlatan's fault entirely, the rigid structure of Ajax' system didn't suit him, he is better with more freedom and influence, and more leeway to use his physicality. And yet he credit his time at Ajax for handing him the tools to become the striker he would later be, only now he decides when to use what part of it and how.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Imagine if this guy had pace, and a burst of pace. He would comfortably be up there in the fat Ronaldo bracket.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He was great at Barca. People never acknowledge that but he was awesome there.
Guardiola and the refs pretty much screwed his Spanish stint

Pep always refused to let him shine and cut his minutes and chances absurdly, and the refs always signaled a foul when he was in a duel, he could take the piss out of any defender in La Liga with backwards playing/aerial duels so everyone started whistling fouls when he was fighting his mark, I would like to personally ask him about this because sometimes I think it got to his nerves, he was so dominant that current Suarez level could've easily expected from him, even surpassed it

Denis79

Facts about Zlatan

* When he does push-ups he's actually pushing the planet down.

*Zlatan was born by his aunt because no one dared to have sex with his mother.

*Zlatan can win a game of connect four in just three moves.

*Zlatan doesn't wear a watch, HE decides what time it is!

* Zlatan does not sleep, he waits..

Old jokes I know... Still funny though =)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Put it this way it wasn't until his PSG days that he started to dispel the myth of never being able to do it against English sides (yes I know he scored twice in a game against Arsenal for Barca) so for me as someone who only ever saw him in the big UCL games where he always disappointed my answer would definitely be the last season or two at PSG