When the pressure is on

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nope. Our mentality is great. The issue is we are a team entirely driven by mentality and individual quality, as there is absolutely nothing coming from the coaching staff. Horrible tactics means we react to the situation of every game, and don't know how to start games off.

SER19

After the first 2 games we pretty much knew we needed 1 point from Turkey, psg and leipzig. Got zero, conceded 8. Horrific.

People can say comebacks prove otherwise but coming back against ordinary Pl sides isn't pressure. Pressure is semi finals and big games like tonight

The United

We just start slow for whatever reason. We are just too reactive. Not exactly bottlers.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Have to admit I had zero confidence in going though as soon as we lost to Instanbul. They've let us down for years when it matters.

Eriku

After the first 2 games we pretty much knew we needed 1 point from Turkey, psg and leipzig. Got zero, conceded 8. Horrific.

People can say comebacks prove otherwise but coming back against ordinary Pl sides isn't pressure. Pressure is semi finals and big games like tonight
You mean 4 points? No need to erase our home win against the Turks, looks bad enough already.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
3 semi finals lost last year as well.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Nope. Our mentality is great. The issue is we are a team entirely driven by mentality and individual quality, as there is absolutely nothing coming from the coaching staff. Horrible tactics means we react to the situation of every game, and don't know how to start games off.
Nail on the head here

Irwin99

Mentality isn't the issue at all, mentally and physically we're really quite a fit and strong team but I absolutely despise this constant pluckiness and 'we're never beaten' stuff papering over the cracks and masquerading as progress or 'evolution'. Fergie teams had the mental toughness to turn things around but they could play well and were organised too. Too often we play like crap but pull it out of the bag either by luck or through never say die.

slored1

I disagree. We set up wrong in each game and then we try to fix what we messed up.

SAFMUTD

You can only get so far based on purely individual quality, we need a better manager. We rely on individual brillance every single time its frustrating. We need a system that allows that even when our players are not at their best we can still manage to create chances and get results.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It doesn't even feel like bottling. We just don't get fired up like we should. We haven't for years.

Godfather

What?

That’s literally the opposite of what has been happening.
What? We've bottled it in every important game for us. What was it three semi finals last year? And now this? How do you come to such a stupid conclusion? What Ole can do though is win one or two meaningless games to save himself his job here.

Deery

Dreary
We play better under pressure but when things are supposed to be simple we mess it up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We were relieved of pressure vs Insanbul and lost despite things looking superb.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's why we lost three semi finals last year I assume?
Doesn’t mean we have a problem with pressure. We frequently come back from one or two goals down, it’s not the mentality. It’s just awful mistakes.

nmm85

The players have no confidence in the system that we play and their individual roles. That's why we keep starting so slow. Look at teams like Southampton and RBL, they all know exactly what they are doing. We just don't have enough of a system so will collapse easily. We have been let off by having high caliber attacking players.

dave1956

I believe the coaching staff is poor, old adage Planning Preparation and Practice prevents Piss Poor Performance. This is clearly down to the coaching staff and the manager, players seem to start games unsure of their roles and positons. Look at how many goals we conceded from corners, it just makes me wonder what goes on in training sessions.

Godfather

Doesn’t mean we have a problem with pressure. We frequently come back from one or two goals down, it’s not the mentality. It’s just awful mistakes.
I disagree. It's a massive botteljob everytime. To then fight back surely shows character but that's a different scenario.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I disagree. It's a massive botteljob everytime. To then fight back surely shows character but that's a different scenario.
Not everything is a ‘bottlejob’. For some reason people like to chalk everything up to one team bottling it. Sometimes it’s just shit play or shit coaching. If we were taking the lead in every game and losing then sure that’s more in line with the definition of bottling it. I think you need to figure out what word you mean because it isn’t that.

Strelok

Tbh watching our defense today I can't help but think of the Sevilla semi final last season. Our defenders, all of them suddenly turned invisible, or shite. It's exactly the same today. They made mistakes they usually don't. It's so weird.

I don't know it's on Ole or them but the mentality of our defenders seems so weak under pressure. And our strikers, well I'd say the same. As Martial in that Sevilla match. They missed the chances they usually don't.

Imo there's no explanation than there is something seriously wrong with the mentality of our players in important matches. Even Bruno seemed not calm at all today. He got a yellow for argueing with the ref in the first half.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

1 point in Turkey would have made no difference.

Godfather

Not everything is a ‘bottlejob’. For some reason people like to chalk everything up to one team bottling it. Sometimes it’s just shit play or shit coaching. If we were taking the lead in every game and losing then sure that’s more in line with the definition of bottling it. I think you need to figure out what word you mean because it isn’t that.
Well to feck up on big occasions is what I mean.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well to feck up on big occasions is what I mean.
I mean it’s in this clubs nature to play in big occasions. It’s only natural we will lose some. How often do we hear about how big a game it is for us. We are every club’s cup final and our players have to deal with the opposition playing like rabid dogs on a weekly basis. I think we do fine with pressure. We’re just poorly coached.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Nail on head. You've summed up what I struggle to put into words.

Quinze

3rd place in the EFL cup
3rd place in the FA cup
3rd place in the EL
3rd place in the PL
Now 3rd place in the CL group stages.

Godfather

I mean it’s in this clubs nature to play in big occasions. It’s only natural we will lose some. How often do we hear about how big a game it is for us. We are every club’s cup final and our players have to deal with the opposition playing like rabid dogs on a weekly basis. I think we do fine with pressure. We’re just poorly coached.
I sure agree with your last sentence. Very poorly

SER19

1 point in Turkey would have made no difference.
You're right, though in any case 1 from last 2 games is still embarrassing to not get. Or 3 in Turkey. Take your pick. It was a group bottling of epic proportion and coming back against Southampton doesn't disprove the lack of character when it really counts