When was the last time United 'dominated' a big team like that?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They were by far the better side in the first half. Once we got 2 and 3-0 in the space of 2 minutes - they gave up.
We got battered without conceding. Chelsea did the same to City and with a better luck could also have been 2-0 up.
City got into it with a wicked deflection but were played off the park by Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic

Alek M

Da manic one
Wow. We didn't dominate today. First 25 min was end to end. We took our chances they didn't. We then defended well.

They had plenty of makable chances.

We dominated Liverpool much more earlier in the season.

billybee99

We certainly dominated the first half. The second half was embarrassing. It felt like we had 10% of the ball and just kept hoofing. Brilliant counter attacks in the first half though.

Lj82

There was a game under Jose against Chelsea where we controlled the game from start to finish. They had zero shots on target. That's proper dominance.

Classical Mechanic

That model doesn’t count the penalty but it feels about right. We were effective early on but were holding on for the last half hour. Another day and we’d be on the wrong end of that result.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

That model doesn’t count the penalty but it feels about right. We were effective early on but were holding on for the last half hour. Another day and we’d be on the wrong end of that result.
Going by the expected goal table united should be top 4 until the Tottenham game, some days you get lucky but united have so far been unlucky based on that same metric.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There was a game under Jose against Chelsea where we controlled the game from start to finish. They had zero shots on target. That's proper dominance.
Yes that was at home after losing the away fixture 4-0 and that Chelsea team were champions so an impressive performance indeed.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
We can’t use this game as the turning point because they are in bad form for a while, we need to beat a few teams and not only the top ones but the ones we had problems when they park the bus.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We've obviously had big results before this even with previous managers but I can't recall apart from 'Juanfield' where we took on a high calibre team and made them look so poor whilst playing scintillating attacking football ourselves. It wasn't just counter-attacking football, we were having sustained periods of domination with the ball.

Can you recall any?

GO!
Did we dominate City though?
We played very well on the counter for 25 minutes, after that it was backs to the wall defence.
Delighted with it but let's keep it real.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd say we dominated for about 35-40 minutes against City. Domination is surely when you do it for a full game? And usually big teams don't get dominated. City lost 3-1 (was it?) to Liverpool but it wasn't really domination given City created loads of chances. I'd say Barcelona got dominated by Liverpool last season at Anfield but that was an unusual capitulation really.

I think we've dominated many games at home over the years though against top 6 sides. As well as a few away - Arsenal away (regularly), Liverpool (LVG). What people consider big opposition I don't know. I'd consider those big opponents.

KennyBurner

I dont think we dominated this one but at least it wasn't our usual smash and grab so thats a positive. Id say we dominated spurs more than we did city.

Juansar_07

We dominated for the first 30 mins precisely.

From my recent memory (excluding Arsenal ties) that Chelsea home game under mourinho where Herrera played one of his best games for us.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wow. We didn't dominate today. First 25 min was end to end. We took our chances they didn't. We then defended well.

They had plenty of makable chances.

We dominated Liverpool much more earlier in the season.
I agree that first 25-30 was end to end but they didn't have chances to take like ours. By then we already had something like 3-4 shots on target to none for them.

So I disagree about the notion that we took our chance but they didn't. City didn't have solid chances to take in the first place.

SAFMUTD

Lets not create a false narrative that we dominated City, we dominated the first 30-35 minutes the rest of the game we defended really well and saw the game out.

If the roles would had been inverted Im sure we would be talking about bad luck and how we deserved much more.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think we dominated the game but the first half against City where we created so many chances and also first half vs Spurs was very good. Would call first half vs Spurs as domination, not the one vs City.

But the first half vs City is probably the best execution of counter attacking football post SAF. It was clean, well worked out and looked the attackers were in sync.

Inigo Montoya

Hypocrite much? No domination but only in 1/3 of the game ?
I dont think we dominated this one but at least it wasn't our usual smash and grab so thats a positive. Id say we dominated spurs more than we did city.
We dominated for the first 30 mins precisely.

From my recent memory (excluding Arsenal ties) that Chelsea home game under mourinho where Herrera played one of his best games for us.
Lets not create a false narrative that we dominated City, we dominated the first 30-35 minutes the rest of the game we defended really well and saw the game out.

If the roles would had been inverted Im sure we would be talking about bad luck and how we deserved much more.
Not sure if you’re actively seeking confrontation romufc but you do need to look up the definition of hypocrite.

OleTheGreat

Just so you know, we didn't dominate the game as far as i know. Of course we killed in the first half and should've scored 4 or 5 goals and then the second half could've been much more comfortable but i think we defended deep and our players gave it everything to get the job done. We crowded the spaces and suffocated them and yet they managed to get 1 back through a corner. I wonder what would've happened had we not scored first against both Spurs and City. Everything said, i think we played real aggressive football and it's been our best performances in a long time. I still think we can improve this team by adding Pogba to it. I think we need a few players to add depth to this team but i think we are doing a great job.

What's my takeaway from these 2 games?
Ole has been wonderful and he loves every minute at United. He is learning about the players and appreciates every bit they're doing for him. I think this can turn out to be one of the best feelings to take forward.

romufc

Not sure if you’re actively seeking confrontation romufc but you do need to look up the definition of hypocrite.
I might have got the wrong word but seriously? We didn't dominate but we did for 30 mins? which is 1/3 of the game?

I have not said we dominated the game either on any of my posts.

We went there and stuck to a game plan which works against top teams.

Inigo Montoya

I might have got the wrong word but seriously? We didn't dominate but we did for 30 mins? which is 1/3 of the game?

I have not said we dominated the game either on any of my posts.

We went there and stuck to a game plan which works against top teams.
So it wasn't domination then? It wasn't a plan either to sit back on a 2-0 lead

FFS! Hypocrite??? Think about the words you use then before writing them down. Try an online dictionary

SteveW

Who the hell dominates City for a full game? They are a possession machine. We could have scored 5 in the first half and the result never really felt in any doubt once we got to 2-0. That's about as good as it gets against them at the Etihad.

Redguern

https://understat.com/match/11652
They had possession and pot shots from range, but not real chances. Wasn't a 4-0 game, but we were by far the better team.
This stat presentation is really interesting. Thanks!

Having just delved more into Understat, I've realised that we've only been xG outscored in 5 games this season (and one of those was City this weekend!). The others were Arsenal (1-1), Liverpool (1-1), Bournemouth away (where we were shocking to be fair) and the Sheffield United game where it was 1.56 goals to 1.33, which is marginal, and we drew too anyway.

I'm convinced this team will really come good once it's had more time to gel and the younger players improve their consistency.

Finally an exciting time to be a United fan after years in the doldrums :devil:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Considering how many chances we created? Arsenal home in the Champions League 08/09.

Nah that's probably not true, but we genuinely could have been 4/5-0 up at half time for the first time in a long time in such a big game.

romufc

So it wasn't domination then? It wasn't a plan either to sit back on a 2-0 lead

FFS! Hypocrite??? Think about the words you use then before writing them down. Try an online dictionary
Yes so you have never made a mistake in your life Mr. Perfect?

Yes, most teams going to the Ethiad 2-0 at half time will sit back on a lead. There are different ways to play a game.

KennyBurner

Really thinking about the game and it seems City lack both physicality and speed. It was so easy to sit back and counter because they couldn’t even break us down effectively like they’ve done with ease in the past. Moving forward they need Fernandinho back in DM because I dont think Rodri is good/physical enough. Good times ahead.