When will 4K TV (Ultra HD) happen?

Dan

Plasmas use a fair bit more electricity wise too.

Is it just me or do many more plasmas tend to only be "HD Ready" rather than full HD? Is it a price point thing? After my huge 2nd hand 50 inch plasma I'd never get a plasma again, but it might just be a bad experiance.
Was it a Panasonic plasma?

I only ever buy Panasonic plasma TVs as they have far better blacks than any other TVs. I still regret not buying the best TV ever made, the Pioneer Kuro 5090.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Was it a Panasonic plasma?

I only ever buy Panasonic plasma TVs as they have far better blacks than any other TVs. I still regret not buying the best TV ever made, the Pioneer Kuro 5090.
Samsung hd ready (720p) 50 inch bastard. Bought for the 2006 world cup. The blacks are basically grey, their is a feck tonne of fuzzy snow, it uses more electricity than an military eco tank! Bastard of a TV.

I had some mates round to watch a film, and they said the picture was so terrible we didn't end up watching anything! I tried to explain it was just a dark bit at the start, and the TV needed 10 minutes to warm up, but they just gave up.

rcoobc

A couple of thoughts on the future of TV:

Passive 3D and Active 3D arent incompatible technologies. If current 3D methods have ghosting about 1%, by combining the two you would reduce ghosting to about 0.01%. Of course ghosting isn't the only problem with 3D, but by eliminating ghosting you make "multi-view" much more feasible.

Multi-view only makes sense for gamers. Consoles are relatively cheap (how many families have more than one?) so thats not the issue. Playing multiplayer games on two consoles with multi-view sounds like a lot of fun, but watching the football whilst your wife watches eastenders sounds like a nightmare.

Passive-Active 3D would also enable a group of friends to bring their "cheap and dirty" Passive 3D Glasses from the cinema for 10+ people viewing, whilst the more expensive Active-Passive 3D Glasses could be used when there is only a few of you.

Active-Passive technology would also introduce the possibility of 4 way multi-view, albeit with ghosting. Probably waaay to much ghosting.

Would 120fps native content eliminate motion blur? Motion blur is the only annoying thing about some of the more expensive LED's I've seen, but apparently Plasmas get it too. In fact my dads ridiculously awesome plasma has it often, but who knows if that is just the content or the tv?

OLED is awesome no matter what Apple says

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Thought I'd bring this back up as I was at an industry meeting today and I thought of this.

Be VERY careful if anyone is thinking of buying 4k displays anytime soon.

Essentially the current HDMI standard, 1.4, can only display 4K resolution at max 30fps, not until HDMI 2 will this rise to 60fps. The problem with this is FPS is one of the most important things as to how good the display looks, especially with moving objects.

Now some of the more expensive models have seen this coming (Sony being one of them I think), and have made sure their HDMI chipsets are upgradable to HDMI 2, however a lot of them will not be, and you'll be stuck with a screen that can't use the technology to it's full extent.

Although currently there is very little that can output 4K anyway so there is no point buying anytime soon.

rcoobc

I thought most '4k' hardware was 2.0 compatible? But as you say maybe not all.

The 2.0 specification did come out mentally late, after 4k hardware was being released.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
A lot of it is, it just seems that a lot of the cheaper screens haven't future proofed against it, just something to look out for.

I'm not sure which companies specifically, apparently all the Sony ones are fine.

All I really know is this thing is gonna be a massive ball ache for us with existing clients wanting to upgrade!

Dan

Saw a 4K Samsung LCD TV in John lewis the other day, my jaw dropped at how good the quality of the picture was. They also had the Samsung OLED there, wasn't that impressed with the quality, but it could have been the source video that was at fault.

WeasteDevil

Thought I'd bring this back up as I was at an industry meeting today and I thought of this.

Be VERY careful if anyone is thinking of buying 4k displays anytime soon.

Essentially the current HDMI standard, 1.4, can only display 4K resolution at max 30fps, not until HDMI 2 will this rise to 60fps. The problem with this is FPS is one of the most important things as to how good the display looks, especially with moving objects.

Now some of the more expensive models have seen this coming (Sony being one of them I think), and have made sure their HDMI chipsets are upgradable to HDMI 2, however a lot of them will not be, and you'll be stuck with a screen that can't use the technology to it's full extent.

Although currently there is very little that can output 4K anyway so there is no point buying anytime soon.
This is only relevant for games, computer output, and 3D. Do you realise the bandwidth and storage capacity required to deal with high bitrate recorded video in 4k at 60 frames per second?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
This is only relevant for games, computer output, and 3D. Do you realise the bandwidth and storage capacity required to deal with high bitrate recorded video in 4k at 60 frames per second?

Honestly no I don't, I imagine they would need ridiculous storage?

That being said I think the game issue is a big one, and when you're dropping that sort of cash you would want to be covered surely?

rcoobc

Err 4 times the bandwidth and storage of 1080p60? :s

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Saw one on display yesterday, first time I really spent the time to check out the quality. Stunning I thought, felt similarly groundbreaking to the first time I saw Planet Earth in HD. Must've been special nature footage for Sony's 4K model but I was overcome by the desire to see football in such quality or programming in general

arthurka

The biggest problem by far is bandwidth!! Even today most of the broadcasted tv programs is still in 720P... So this won´t be anytime soon!

Iron Stove

4k monitor prices are coming down. http://www.extremetech.com/computin...itor-that-finally-brings-4k-to-the-desktop-pc

And apparently Titanfall will be "playable" on a single Titan at 4k. http://www.dsogaming.com/news/titanfall-will-be-playable-at-4k-on-a-single-nvidia-gtx-titan/
Doesn't look to be the most demanding game in the world and who knows what "playable" means in terms of fps. But it's still pretty interesting, especially with 20nm graphic cards on the way, which will hopefully mean a significant performance boost.

Shouldn't be too long before this is actually viable for PC gaming.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I know one is not really suppose to bump old threads and all that, but I'm really not sure if my question is thread worthy, so I'm just going to ask it here! :)

My TV jacked it in the other day. I'm now in the market for a new tele. 4K prices seem reasonable these days so I'm thinking a budget of £800? Any ideas ladies and gents, I really don't want to go over anymore than that. If I could get a TV set for cheaper, well that would be even better. Cheers. :)

Panther

I know one is not really suppose to bump old threads and all that, but I'm really not sure if my question is thread worthy, so I'm just going to ask it here! :)

My TV jacked it in the other day. I'm now in the market for a new tele. 4K prices seem reasonable these days so I'm thinking a budget of £800? Any ideas ladies and gents, I really don't want to go over anymore than that. If I could get a TV set for cheaper, well that would be even better. Cheers. :)
Quick google search tells me a decent sized one (45-50 inch) is about £400-500. For £800, you'd be looking at 60/65 inch.

Paxi

Quick google search tells me a decent sized one (45-50 inch) is about £400-500. For £800, you'd be looking at 60/65 inch.
Well see theres all these LED and OLED. The feck...? I haven't a clue. I seen 50 inch teles for thousands of pounds by the same makes. Honestly I just want a nice picture.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well see theres all these LED and OLED. The feck...? I haven't a clue. I seen 50 inch teles for thousands of pounds by the same makes. Honestly I just want a nice picture.
Get the best Samsung you can afford, go off their 'PQI' rating.

You'll not got a good 4K TV in those sizes for the prices he's mentioned.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

I got a 55" Sony 4K for under a grand a couple of months ago

It's definitely the budget option for 4K. But football in 4K is pretty great looking

Games too if you are into that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IF52BE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marcelinho87

Sony XD93 matey its a great TV.

rcoobc

If anyone is a gamer, I would definitely recommend holding off on a 4K TV for now.

Project Scorpio will support freesync, which adapts the frame rate of the monitor (or the TV) to the frame rate of the console.

Given that both the PS4 and Xbox systems are using AMD GPUs, you can expect the PS5 and Xbox 1-2 to support it. If you build an AMD based PC to use with it, you'll get that benefit too

I think in 2 years, freesync TVs will be here and they'll have sorted out a lot of the current problems

Paxi

Get the best Samsung you can afford, go off their 'PQI' rating.

You'll not got a good 4K TV in those sizes for the prices he's mentioned.
I was thinking a Sony Bravia X80 but is there much difference between Samsungs and Sonys in terms of build quality and picture or is just minor details? But cheers for the tip!

I got a 55" Sony 4K for under a grand a couple of months ago

It's definitely the budget option for 4K. But football in 4K is pretty great looking

Games too if you are into that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IF52BE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yep. I'm into gaming. I mean I pic a controller now and again. I guess it would be really cool to play 4K gaming or upscale at least.

Also that's what I'm most excited about. Will be ringing BT and asking for 4K box for football.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was thinking a Sony Bravia X80 but is there much difference between Samsungs and Sonys in terms of build quality and picture or is just minor details? But cheers for the tip!
Sony are good, differences between brands are mostly a preference thing. Best thing I'd suggest is go down John Lewis or Costco and have a look - see which picture you prefer.

Paxi

If anyone is a gamer, I would definitely recommend holding off on a 4K TV for now.

Project Scorpio will support freesync, which adapts the frame rate of the monitor (or the TV) to the frame rate of the console.

Given that both the PS4 and Xbox systems are using AMD GPUs, you can expect the PS5 and Xbox 1-2 to support it. If you build an AMD based PC to use with it, you'll get that benefit too

I think in 2 years, freesync TVs will be here and they'll have sorted out a lot of the current problems

Haha cheers for a reply but now I'm really confused. :lol:

Paxi

Sony are good, differences between brands are mostly a preference thing. Best thing I'd suggest is go down John Lewis or Costco and have a look - see which picture you prefer.
Haha I'm not sure even if there are John Lewis in NI? Will take a look in PC World/Currys when I get a chance though. And thanks again!

rcoobc

Haha cheers for a reply but now I'm really confused. :lol:
Really, it's a minor thing. I'm sure in two years there will be another two years to wait for a 4k tv.

I think the thing with 4k is, there is no point getting a sub 48 inch 4k tv. Do you have somewhere good for it to go? Can it hang on a wall, etc.

I dunno

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Bit more than your budget, and maybe your size, but I bought this tv
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...5-curved-led-tv-10144207-pdt.html#srcid=11026
Gets great reviews and for gaming has a 21ms lag which is exceptional for TVs.
This is a series thats pretty much sold up and replaced, but unlike the new Samsung models that have come out, this TV is already better.
Quantum dot HDR which is in this TV is now only being used by their QLED TVs

@rcoobc - The only problem with this freesync is we don't even know when it's coming to TVs.
Sure the Scorpio supports it, but until TVs support it, it's kinda of a useless concept.
I am getting the scorpio btw, and bought this current TV exactly for this reason.
By the time TVs with HDMI 2.1 support come out, their will probably be a new xbox :lol:

Paxi

Really, it's a minor thing. I'm sure in two years there will be another two years to wait for a 4k tv.

I think the thing with 4k is, there is no point getting a sub 48 inch 4k tv. Do you have somewhere good for it to go? Can it hang on a wall, etc.

I dunno
Yeah I'm looking for a 50-55 inch tv so I think 4K for me would be fine. I guess my main concern is whether these midrange 4K are good enough for future proofing. I don't want to end up with something obsolete in 2-3 years just.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Picked up a 65 inch Samsung 4K LED tv from Amazon for $1,000 back in January. Put it on a wall mount and works great.

caid

Buy a good 1080p for cheap and replace it in 3, 4 years with a 4k tv.
Theres so little 4k content available its really not worth it,
and anything you buy now will be a bit shit in 4 years time because they'll have resolved a pile of issues with the technology.

Unless your massive piles of money have just become inconvenient theres no good reason to buy one right now.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah I'm looking for a 50-55 inch tv so I think 4K for me would be fine. I guess my main concern is whether these midrange 4K are good enough for future proofing. I don't want to end up with something obsolete in 2-3 years just.
Your biggest problem is, you'll never future proof anything.
HD Ready
Full HD
HDR
OLED

It's moving to fast these days

Paxi

Buy a good 1080p for cheap and replace it in 3, 4 years with a 4k tv.
Theres so little 4k content available its really not worth it,
and anything you buy now will be a bit shit in 4 years time because they'll have resolved a pile of issues with the technology.

Unless your massive piles of money have just become inconvenient theres no good reason to buy one right now.

That's another problem but i wouldn't even really know what a good 1080 TV is.

Paxi

@MaxiPaxi - Are you interested in the PS4 Pro or Xbox scorpio at all?
Yes mate. I have a ps4 but when I get my TV sorted I'll definitely be buying the pro version just to see what the fuss is about. Just out of curiosity, is there much difference between normal PS4 with good quality 1080p TV and 4K sets with PS4 pro? Also I briefly heard about Scorpio. Only that it will support native 4k game as I heard it. I think I know what it means. PS4 Pro just upscales games right now?