When will 4K TV (Ultra HD) happen?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yes mate. I have a ps4 but when I get my TV sorted I'll definitely be buying the pro version just to see what the fuss is about. Just out of curiosity, is there much difference between normal PS4 with good quality 1080p TV and 4K sets with PS4 pro? Also I briefly heard about Scorpio. Only that it will support native 4k game as I heard it. I think I know what it means. PS4 Pro just upscales games right now?
Well in that case, you may as well look at 4k TVs.
I've not had or used the PS4 Pro so I can't comment. Graphics are an upgrade on the PS4 from what I've read, but yeah it's pretty much upscaled, so not exactly 4k, but still an improvement.
scorpio is promising real 4K gaming, but lets wait and see

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I bought a 4k in the black Friday sales last year. I love it and couldn't go back now really. It's great for the football.

Eriku

1) Extend budget to £3500
2) Buy 65" LG OLED
3) Yeah
That's what I just recently did ^_^

For 4K to make any sense, it needs to be fairly big for your living room. I went for the B6, last year's model, so I only had to pay around 2400 pounds.

Loving this TV, man <3 I totally see why people are so excited about OLED and its black levels and contrast.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Buy a good 1080p for cheap and replace it in 3, 4 years with a 4k tv.
Theres so little 4k content available its really not worth it,
and anything you buy now will be a bit shit in 4 years time because they'll have resolved a pile of issues with the technology.

Unless your massive piles of money have just become inconvenient theres no good reason to buy one right now.
I kinda agree.

rcoobc

Yes mate. I have a ps4 but when I get my TV sorted I'll definitely be buying the pro version just to see what the fuss is about. Just out of curiosity, is there much difference between normal PS4 with good quality 1080p TV and 4K sets with PS4 pro? Also I briefly heard about Scorpio. Only that it will support native 4k game as I heard it. I think I know what it means. PS4 Pro just upscales games right now?
Ps4 Pro is hitting native 4k in some games

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eu...ndry-2017-every-native-4k-ps4-pro-game-tested

But most games will run at a resolution between 1080p and 4k and use some sort of checkerboarding to get the full 4k image. But i dont really understand that

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/235274-how-sonys-playstation-4-pro-does-4k-without-delivering-4k

Eurogamer has a good youtube video, about how even pc gamers with, say, GTX 1060s should use checkerboarding to get the most out of their graphics, because its very hard to spot the difference between that and native, and the resources are better spent elsewhere

rcoobc

Also, the other thing about getting a 4K TV today is the input lag with HDR.

There have been lots of software patches to solve it, but I'd just give it a year and the input lag will be much improved.

Eriku

Also, the other thing about getting a 4K TV today is the input lag with HDR.

There have been lots of software patches to solve it, but I'd just give it a year and the input lag will be much improved.
Yeah, when I was researching my TV choice, I found that LEDs have the edge on OLEDs when it comes to input lag. Can't say that I notice, though. Would mainly apply to people who are really looking to shave the milliseconds off their reaction time in FPS games and such.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Would anyone recommend Samsung KS7000 Smart 4k UHD HDR LED TV?

It's 800 quid in Currys.

Or

SONY BRAVIA KD49XD8305BU Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR 49" LED TV

For £680?

I'm getting one of these either tomorrow or on Friday. I really can not make my mind up.

I'm leaning towards Sony as I had nothing but trouble with my last Samsung. Yet all the reviews for KS7000 are excellent.

Last edited:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
@MaxiPaxi - I myself bought a KS series TV last month.
If you are gaming, they are supposed to be very good. They have a 21ms delay which is very good for TVs.
The KS series also has Quantum dot, which they have since got rid of on their new MU series and currently only put them on their QLED range which are 2k+

So I'd recommend it. Problem is, they are out of stock in most places now as it's end of line stuff

Paxi

@MaxiPaxi - I myself bought a KS series TV last month.
If you are gaming, they are supposed to be very good. They have a 21ms delay which is very good for TVs.
The KS series also has Quantum dot, which they have since got rid of on their new MU series and currently only put them on their QLED range which are 2k+

So I'd recommend it. Problem is, they are out of stock in most places now as it's end of line stuff
Yeah I know. I've just checked, both models are out of stock.

Found Sony Bravia 55XD8005 on John Lewis for £750 though. Seems like a decent tv.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yeah I know. I've just checked, both models are out of stock.

Found Sony Bravia 55XD8005 on John Lewis for £750 though. Seems like a decent tv.
I got that exact t.v. few months ago. I like it a lot. Do I see a socks off difference between HD and 4k? .... not always. Football on sky for me is pretty significant. Movies on sky, not so much. Games on ps4 Pro a mixed bag. All look great... But significantly better? Not sure. Best thing I've seen in 4k on the tv is American gods on Amazon prime

mav_9me

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only true 4k content is basically 4k blu ray, right?

The streaming 4k is not genuine 4k as it's still compressed, if I'm not mistaken.

Paxi

So I went and got Sony XE8004BU. The picture quality is jaw dropping. Even when I'm watching movies on the USB the quality is simply stunning. I have one slight problem though - there is so much motion blur. It's all over the place. Also, the video feels like it's ever so slightly faster than it should be? Actors speak ever so slightly faster. Although the running time is the same?

Okay that was a soap opera effect. I've got it sorted now.

Last edited:

mav_9me

So I went and got Sony XE8004BU. The picture quality is jaw dropping. Even when I'm watching movies on the USB the quality is simply stunning. I have one slight problem though - there is so much motion blur. It's all over the place. Also, the video feels like it's ever so slightly faster than it should be? Actors speak ever so slightly faster. Although the running time is the same?

Okay that was a soap opera effect. I've got it sorted now.
I was going to tell you. I hate the soap opera effect. It's amazing how often I see it in relatives homes and they don't have the faintest idea of what I'm talking about. Drives me crazy.

Paxi

I was going to tell you. I hate the soap opera effect. It's amazing how often I see it in relatives homes and they don't have the faintest idea of what I'm talking about. Drives me crazy.
Yeah I know. I haven't a clue what was going on but I got sorted in the end. It's very decent tv I got imo.

Paxi

Is HDR meant to look very colourful? I mean all the colours just pop so much, it actually hurts my eyes.

I have it set on HDR10 on Sony Bravia but when I change to Auto the colours start looking dull as feck??

Feck this shit! :mad:

Wicked_Badger

This. I don't get how people don't notice it. I've actually started changing settings on folks TV's when they've been out of the room to sort it for them, even if they've never noticed it before...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Is HDR meant to look very colourful? I mean all the colours just pop so much, it actually hurts my eyes.

I have it set on HDR10 on Sony Bravia but when I change to Auto the colours start looking dull as feck??

Feck this shit! :mad:
When set correctly, HDR is great, rather HDR than 4k to be honest. What are you watching on it?

Eriku

Better call saul on Netflix.
Right out of the box settings don't tend to be optimal, and it seems to depend heavily on your own room and lighting. I'd look for expert settings suggestions online, and then tweaking to your own preference. I've not got the same TV as you, but I really like HDR on mine.

rcoobc

I'd definitely give 4k another 18 months personally

Big Andy

Bloke
They're already working on 8K in Japan, this was a year or two ago, so they're probably up to about 16K by now...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does Netflix go higher than 2160p or is it my Internet connection not allowing it to go higher?

I have a 4k subscription and 4k tv

Dan

They're already working on 8K in Japan, this was a year or two ago, so they're probably up to about 16K by now...
They're broadcasting the 2020 Olympics in 8K, I might just hold out until then for a new TV.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I'd definitely give 4k another 18 months personally
I was thinking this as well - based on the different HDR standards I believe exist, and from a gaming perspective is still feels as though the current TVs can't really handle HDR with low input lag.

But at the same time I am looking to get a TV now - but based on the above do not want to spend too much on it. I would want something 60" - so would I be better off going for a 4K anyway?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I've just ordered an LG 4k OLED TV.

Currys was trying to bundle some very expensive HDMI cable with it, saying it was 4K ready cable or something.

Anyone know if you need any special cable or if it's fine just to use the regular ones?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've just ordered an LG 4k OLED TV.

Currys was trying to bundle some very expensive HDMI cable with it, saying it was 4K ready cable or something.

Anyone know if you need any special cable or if it's fine just to use the regular ones?
You just need a HDMI 2.0 or 2.1. Can't remember which, but yeah them cables are worthless :lol:

Dan

The HS cable is probably the one he already has. Theyve been around for a long time. There is no such thing as a hdmi 2.0/4k cable.

That being said.. maybe some cables might struggle with HDR 60 FPS but i doubt it
Yes but you need a cable that supports the standard which is what I said.