Where does today rank for you?

Jules_T

Similar to Beating Barcelona 3-0 in the 80s.

We are 2-0 down after the away leg, so this is an even better performance since this was in Paris.

SinNombre

Surprised with the lack of love for the 4-2 win at Highbury (the moment where I knew the club was back after few years of struggling to cope with newly moneybags Chelsea, very similar to the one today in terms of context) and the Macheda goal.

Almost certainly amongst the top 5 moments of watching United over the last 25 years though closer to 5th than 1st.

Devils11

Best result ever. Nobody really believes they could do it with those injuries and suspension. 99 or 08 , we knew we had a 50/50 chance to win before kickoff. I don't know if Ole truly believe his team can do it or just say so in front of the media, but it really speak volume about his belief in the team motivation and fighting spirit . To win away at Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and now PSG proved it no fluke.

Anders Agnalt

For me, 99 finals!
But for my 13 year old son, 2019 against PSG!
After all these lean years we had this one coming

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm really struggling to get my head around this thread. Didn't see the game, but really while it's great that we won and all against the odds with all the injuries. In the end it was just the round of 16. You can hardly compare it to games where we actually won trophies and such. If anything this thread is just making me feel the club is not relevant, if we start to rank games at this stage of competitions as our best ever feelings.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I genuinely think it's very very close to the 1999.

With 1999, I'd been a fan for 5 years by then and it felt like a natural culmination of the club's progress throughout those years.

This one has come after 6 Fergie-less years, with the stink of Mourinho still fresh, with the man who scored the 1999 winner in charge, with first team players out missing, with kids out there playing for us and Manc Academy graduate Rashford scoring the winner.

In some ways, it's sweeter.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm really struggling to get my head around this thread. Didn't see the game, but really while it's great that we won and all against the odds with all the injuries. In the end it was just the round of 16. You can hardly compare it to games where we actually won trophies and such. If anything this thread is just making me feel the club is not relevant, if we start to rank games at this stage of competitions as our best ever feelings.
The beauty about United is we have the history of winning the big trophies and yet we also get excited even about the smaller games too (relatively speaking).

Liverpool fans still remember that win against Olympiakos and yes I agree winning the trophy at the end is important in embellishing the legacy of a particular game so in that sense in hindsight this game won’t be rated as highly in a few years if we win nothing this season or get knocked out.

Having said all that this night is definitely the best the club has experienced post Moscow in terms of sheer emotion - undeniable fact for me.

In the all time context (90s onwards) - it would rank behind 99 final, 08 final, 99 Turin and probably on a par or ahead of 99 Fa Cup semi and certainly ahead of 7-1 Roma (spanking a club with zero CL history isn’t for me that emotionally satisfying).

I was shaking at the end of this game, the feelings going into that VAR decision (flashbacks of all the shit we have had to endure post Fergie and yet also that hope of producing a epic historic night capable of being mentioned in the same breath as those nights in Barcelona and Moscow) and then the subsequent pen and the never ending injury time ... feck what a rollercoaster of emotions (and that doesn’t even include the great start and the subbing on of likes of Chong and Greenwood which were great moments in of themselves and a nod to the clubs history of faith in youth). The injury list and the manner of PSGs football (they were looking sumptuously good in both legs)... we’ve just knocked out one of the favourites and done in picture perfect fashion in terms of dramatic narrative.

Feck anyone who plays down this win - just enjoy the moment, it’s been a decade in the making. Here’s hoping there is more to come!

MuFc_1992

I'd say second best day after 2008 final..Too young to remember 99.

ravi2

It signals the definitive end of the post Fergie identity crisis. Whatever happens now, we've got our personality back. That's as good as a Premier League title.
Exactly... After a few years in the wilderness we are back.

Cantonaaa!

What made it special was not winning or progressing in a vacuum. The fact that all (most of us) wanted Ole to get the job, and this was early made out to be THE test for him) But then injuries and a poor performance in the first leg made everyone go, 'well, he'll get it anyway...won't he?'.

But then... 10 injuries, away game in CL, 2-0 down, never been done before, playing the kids, huge underdogs, 6 years of failed managers and negativity. This is what made it so, so special!

Top 5 United moment in my life. Probably top 3. Need to calm down!

atomic keane

Around the 86th minute I was thinking about something commented during those final mad minutes of the 99final

Can United score? They always score.. the rest is history!

Then I see the ref running over to the VAR panel and omg I’m shaking ...

Incredible emotion for a cl 2nd round tie but this scalp is huge !

dogwithabone

The fact that we've broken a CL record in reversing a 2-0 deficit has to rank it as our second best ever CL result. Given that our entire first choice midfield was missing and we had untried 17 and 18 year olds on at the death there's almost an argument to say it tops 1999 in terms of the task we faced.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I had to leave for work in the second half. I'm a server at a fine dining restaurant in Niagara on the Lake (wine region of Ontario). We don't have TV's so I put the game on on my phone (Mobdro) with the sound off. Needless to say, I let out a bit of a scream when the penalty happened and started clapping uncontrolably when Rashford scored. Not sure what my guests thought about it but I couldn't contain myself

Jeffthered

Calm down lads, it wasn't even a quarter final
I hear you, but I think we all do. But it isn't about that. It's about where we have been for the last five season's or so.

Last night was special because of all of that. Let us just enjoy the moment, because the players, fans, ole and his staff all deserve it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can't really remember 99. Last night is just behind Moscow for me.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For pure narrative and emotion not much can top last night. Whether a trophy was won or not it felt like we were champions when that penalty went in.

That was football in its most exciting form. Really, for all of Ole’s positive talk before the game we were surely viewed by most as the underdogs with little chance of progressing. When that early goal went in I literally leapt off the sofa screaming! Now I don’t know about you lot but not much in life makes me do that. From that point on I was thinking ‘ok, this is interesting’. Then they scored and I thought ‘oh well, let’s stay in the game and see what happens’. Who could have dreamed up the rest?

Amazing night, we should totally enjoy it regardless of what happens now. Will we win the CL? Probably not. Can we win it? Of course we can, we are united with Ole at the wheel!

Siorac

That's daft. And disrespectful to actual trophies we've won.

Tonight was truly great, and was the moment that Ole became, without doubt, the next Man United manager, it was magical.

But winning trophies will always better getting through to a QF.
That's daft. And disrespectful to actual trophies we've won.

Tonight was truly great, and was the moment that Ole became, without doubt, the next Man United manager, it was magical.

But winning trophies will always better getting through to a QF.
It may be daft to consider this an objectively greater achievement than winning the EL (though I do think it was).

But subjectively, there's nothing daft about it. I haven't felt anywhere near this euphoric after winning the League Cup or the EL.

Spoony

The People's President
In terms of away results in Europe. This is probably the best mainly due to the fact we were without 10 first teamers. Insane score line.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Let's put this in perspective.

We had a midfield 3 of Fred,McTominay and Andreas. We had 3 top midfielders out. One of our first choice strikers out,a key attacker out(Lingard). They could bring on Meunier and Cavani, we bring on kids! Their midfield compared to ours...:eek:

But how they stepped up the mark, I don't know!

It's arguably the greatest Utd performance. Not the greatest achievement bu as a single performance in the face of such adversity. I can't think of a better.

Siorac

Surprised with the lack of love for the 4-2 win at Highbury (the moment where I knew the club was back after few years of struggling to cope with newly moneybags Chelsea, very similar to the one today in terms of context) and the Macheda goal.

Almost certainly amongst the top 5 moments of watching United over the last 25 years though closer to 5th than 1st.
The 4-2 at Highbury was in February 2005, before Chelsea even won their first PL title.

Let's put this in perspective.

We had a midfield 3 of Fred,McTominay and Andreas. We had 3 top midfielders out. One of our first choice strikers out,a key attacker out(Lingard). They could bring on Meunier and Cavani, we bring on kids! Their midfield compared to ours...:eek:

But how they stepped up the mark, I don't know!

It's arguably the greatest Utd performance. Not the greatest achievement bu as a single performance in the face of such adversity. I can't think of a better.
Good post. To overturn a two goal deficit in Paris, with such a depleted team, is one of the greatest results I can recall.

RG 11

I feel the home game that season was bigger. It was the first game I clearly remember as a kid with so much tension in the air and me being a nervous wreck. We went ahead and stopped their unbeaten run at 49, led to pizza gate, Keane vs Viera at Highbury and that OShea chip to round it all up. :drool:

The Macheda moment was absolutely insane as well. For me it's 08 CL > yesterday > Macheda > Barca semi return leg > Arsenal 2-0 at OT

Tyinde

Best day as a United fan since SAF left. A real come back from the Hell.

Havak

Pokemon master
In terms of European nights, it's comfortably in the top five without even trying to remember what has happened previously in my time watching United.

I'd probably just have 1999 pipping 2008 to the best ever in my time watching United, so it's third or fourth on the list for me.

1. 1999 Final
2. 2008 Final
=3. Roma 7-1, PSG 1-3
5. Juventus 2-3

I can't separate it from the Roma 7-1. They're chalk and cheese performances. Both outstanding in their own right for different reasons, offensively and defensively. We want to see United more attacking, but sometimes the approach we took to the PSG game is the right one and deserves just as much merit. I think those five performances are way beyond anything else we've done in Europe (I was born in 89 so I'm only really counting from the mid-to-late-90's when I understood what was actually going on). After those five, I'd probably be looking at the times we knocked out Arsenal and Chelsea for next in a top 10.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Exactly... After a few years in the wilderness we are back.
Ironically it took hatred of Jose to unite the players. We should have a statue of him to pelt with tomatoes during the warm up

Heardy

Amazing how winning the Europa League is considered so insignificant in terms of "European nights" for United.

I was shaking with nerves awaiting that penalty decision. Rashford had nerves of steel to put that away as he did. Great character building for the squad and brilliant for the young lads.

Love the history of last night too. First club in the history of the European Cup / Champions League to have lost a first leg at home 2-0 and go on to progress to the next round.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The beauty about United is we have the history of winning the big trophies and yet we also get excited even about the smaller games too (relatively speaking).

Liverpool fans still remember that win against Olympiakos and yes I agree winning the trophy at the end is important in embellishing the legacy of a particular game so in that sense in hindsight this game won’t be rated as highly in a few years if we win nothing this season or get knocked out.

Having said all that this night is definitely the best the club has experienced post Moscow in terms of sheer emotion - undeniable fact for me.

In the all time context (90s onwards) - it would rank behind 99 final, 08 final, 99 Turin and probably on a par or ahead of 99 Fa Cup semi and certainly ahead of 7-1 Roma (spanking a club with zero CL history isn’t for me that emotionally satisfying).

I was shaking at the end of this game, the feelings going into that VAR decision (flashbacks of all the shit we have had to endure post Fergie and yet also that hope of producing a epic historic night capable of being mentioned in the same breath as those nights in Barcelona and Moscow) and then the subsequent pen and the never ending injury time ... feck what a rollercoaster of emotions (and that doesn’t even include the great start and the subbing on of likes of Chong and Greenwood which were great moments in of themselves and a nod to the clubs history of faith in youth). The injury list and the manner of PSGs football (they were looking sumptuously good in both legs)... we’ve just knocked out one of the favourites and done in picture perfect fashion in terms of dramatic narrative.

Feck anyone who plays down this win - just enjoy the moment, it’s been a decade in the making. Here’s hoping there is more to come!
Can't put it better than this. Anyone who felt differently from this doesn't really understand what this club is all about.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
From my time its:
'99
'08
3-2 at Turin
Paris '19