Where does today rank for you?

Lowkey

We have been starved for so long. I think because none of us expected it.

My reactions:

Early goal - needed that, still too much to do.

PSG goal - Thought so, nothing to see here, going to get dominated now.

Lukaku 2nd - Wow, Buffon with a massive error. We are being dominated so can see Paris getting 2nd.

2nd half - lets stay in it, could nick a goal and get lucky. Still fancy PSG

15 minutes to go - lets have a go now. Bring the kids on? Chong with the winner?

5 minutes to go - Just one chance is all i want. Mason on, nice nice, lets go all out.

Penalty to us - BATSHIT CRAZY, jumping up and down, lost all senses, dont know how/what happened.

Rashy scores - this cant be happening, heads gone, put the anchor down and lets hold on for dear life.

De Gea with the most timid punch when he should have caught the ball - lost my shit at this point, heart in mouth, DO NOT LET THE RAT/SNAKE win this, please!

Whistle gone - Ole, take a bow, buzzing, screaming, shouting, smiling. what a great night.

Post game - watching higlights, memes, youtube, twitter, instagram of the united game and reactions all night. cant sleep, too hyeped.

In conclusion - been starved for so many years from nights like these. Ole has given us belief!! Its only the first round of the knockout, who cares. This performance made me fall in love with the club all over again.

Who remembers this time last year when Jose claimed Sevilla were a better team and had better players? Utter disgrace.

Im still buzzing at work!

I LOVE THIS GAME

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
2nd best day of my life after 1999.
Best night since Moscow IMO.

Unbelievable.
Highest for me. I was born in 96 so too young to see 99.
I didn't see the treble.
so this win is on a par with Moscow in terms of emotion not achievement- maybe even topped it.
1999, 2008 and this.
have to say i am astounded by this.
It was a great win against the odds, but cant be better than winning League Titles.
Also PSG have to be the biggest bottle merchants around.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I'm really struggling to get my head around this thread. Didn't see the game, but really while it's great that we won and all against the odds with all the injuries. In the end it was just the round of 16. You can hardly compare it to games where we actually won trophies and such. If anything this thread is just making me feel the club is not relevant, if we start to rank games at this stage of competitions as our best ever feelings.
This 100%

Aarron Swift

Was Buzzing all night, still buzzing at work.

It’s certainly one of Uniteds great European Nights, I could be wrong but since 2008 Win, the only big results we’ve had in Champions League are

2009 - Arsenal Semi-Final Away Win
2011 - Chelsea Quarter-Final Away Win
2018 - Juventus Away Group Stage Win

Last night would have been a huge win during any United era but having done so poorly in the Champions League Since 2011 (Fergies last 2 seasons were nothing to shout about), it makes it feel so much sweeter when in the past maybe we’d have have been far used to seeing results like this.

In the future I think the determining factor of where it really ranks & how it’s looked back on depends how well United do in the Champions League going forward from here.

Results like Arsenal FA Cup Semi & Juventus Away 1999 would always have been looked back as great nights - but having gone on to win the competitions (in fact as part of Treble) makes them legendary

Reactions: Invictus

lysglimt

Scout
I would rank it as number 3

99 comes first
The day we won the League in 93 comes second

lysglimt

Scout
Woah easy now.
No not really - we were at the top then. We were favourites - Everything was going right for us leading up to that final. This was different.

First we struggled with Mourinho, and then all the injuries.

We lost the first game - and we had to turn a deficit that no team had done since 1955 (!!!!!) - with 10 players injured.

Against di Maria, (an injured) Neymar, Mbappe

No - this was better

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
It signals the definitive end of the post Fergie identity crisis. Whatever happens now, we've got our personality back. That's as good as a Premier League title.
Now I really am shocked. WTF

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
No not really - we were at the top then. We were favourites - Everything was going right for us leading up to that final. This was different.

We lost the first game - and we had to turn a deficit that no team had done since 1955 (!!!!!) - with 10 players injured.

No - this was better
What?

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I understand, 2-0 down, away from home, injuries, Pogba suspended etc...……….
But feck me you would think Man Utd were a League 1 side.
Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world ffs.
No way on earth last night is bigger than any League Title, or some other semis in the Champions League.
It was great, brilliant, against the odds but, sorry no.

Adebesi

I understand, 2-0 down, away from home, injuries, Pogba suspended etc...……….
But feck me you would think Man Utd were a League 1 side.
Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world ffs.
No way on earth last night is bigger than any League Title, or some other semis in the Champions League.
It was great, brilliant, against the odds but, sorry no.
I agree that, for me personally, last night was not the same, not as good as, winning a league or a CL. I said that in an earlier post.

But you have to see where people are coming from with this. The game has to be seen in the context of the truly desperate and depressing mood that has hung over this club in recent years. Expectations have plummeted, enjoyment has been obliterated, we've gone from one disastrous manager to another, from incompetence, through mind numbing tedium to what felt like civil war at times. From all that to this.

What I think Im trying to say is, when I read the posts above, my interpretation of it is people arent really talking about the game in isolation, it is more symbolic of where we are now as a club, finally, after years of being lost. You might say last night's result is the embodiment of Ole's tenure.

Im putting words into other peoples' mouths, maybe that isnt what they mean at all and they just absolutely loved last night's game in isolation, for what it was literally, not symbolically. But that is how I feel about it TBH. As I said, I am not going to say last night felt better than winning the league, that wouldnt be true for me. But there was something about it, something different to winning the league. Not better, but different, and also very, very good.

A metaphor, I guess, would be: who is happier, the rich man who wins the lottery (us winning the league under SAF) or a poor man (a very poor man) finding £100 (us winning the game last night)? Obviously a lottery win is a much bigger deal. Obviously a lottery win is going to arouse much more, much wider interest. But for the man that doesnt know where his next meal is coming from, finding a ton is a bloody happy thing, a bloody memorable thing, and perhaps, in certain circumstances, more life changing than winning the lottery for a guy who already has more money than he knows what to do with.

We were that rich man, but since the financial crisis we have been sleeping in a fcking cardboard box. So I understand people feeling pretty bloody elated right now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In terms of pure emotion from one game of football, definitely highest since Moscow... and it's the most wildly I've celebrated when watching at home since probably Jonny O'Shea at the Kop end.

Adebesi

In terms of pure emotion from one game of football, definitely highest since Moscow... and it's the most wildly I've celebrated when watching at home since probably Jonny O'Shea at the Kop end.
I was the opposite, which was partly because my kids were in bed by the end so I couldnt shout or anything, but in all honesty I was in stunned silence, stupified.

From the moment the ref went to consult the VAR monitor to the final whistle I was pacing the room.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was the opposite, which was partly because my kids were in bed by the end so I couldnt shout or anything, but in all honesty I was in stunned silence, stupified.

From the moment the ref went to consult the VAR monitor to the final whistle I was pacing the room.
Damn, that's some self-restraint...

I was on my knees from VAR onwards... bloody wreck for the 4 or 5 minutes (or however long it was) so when it went in it was just a pure release.

Josep Dowling

I know it was only a round of 16 game but after years of doing nothing in the Champions League that was very special. The context of the game just made it even sweeter:

• 2-0 from the first leg, a scoreline that has never been surpassed by an away side in the second leg
• Facing arguably one of the favourites for trophy
• 10 first team players injured and using a make shift midfield and RB
• Di Maria getting a disallowed goal
• VAR favouring a English team in this tourament against a European side who persistently cheat and dive - Dani Alves and Marquinhos were embarrassing last night
• 4 youth team players on at the final whistle including the youngest ever debutant for the club. Seeing them all celebrate when Rashford scored was a great moment.
• To top it off a last minute winner by a local lad who has never taken a penalty for the club. Absolutely smashes past one of the best keepers in the world. Truly a wonderful night.

When Mbappe went round De Gea and then another PSG player hit the post I really felt like we were going to do it.

Schneckerl

This 100%
I'm really struggling to get my head around this thread. Didn't see the game, but really while it's great that we won and all against the odds with all the injuries. In the end it was just the round of 16. You can hardly compare it to games where we actually won trophies and such. If anything this thread is just making me feel the club is not relevant, if we start to rank games at this stage of competitions as our best ever feelings.
On the contrary.
Pretty sure Barca has similar feelings about their combacks. It just means you witnessed a gazillion league title wins.

Matt007a

I think the lack of recent success made it feel more special. Saying that it can't be compared with our CL titles or even the EPL titles over the years. It's comparable to our 6-1 win over Arsenal in 2001 for me, or perhaps the 7-1 over Roma in the CL. I wouldn't compare this comeback to Turin either given that was a semi-final and Juve were better than this PSG side.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not that high to be honest. I got a good nights sleep and feel fine this morning. Nothing can replicate winning European trophies or league titles on the last day. This was quite similar to our win against Juve, got completely outclassed at home and no-one gave us a chance but we shithoused our way to a win.

Acole9

Outstanding

No - this was better
I wouldn't have said we were favourites, it was 50-50. It could've easily have gone the other way that final.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It was a great win against the odds, but cant be better than winning League Titles.
Personally for me, it’s because it was a one off special night. Yeah I’ve been ecstatic that we’ve won league titles but when we’ve won them they’ve not really been too dramatic and back in the day we got fairly used to winning them.

Last night history was made and all the circumstances surrounding it was mind blowing. That’s why I rank it so highly.

purgethefallen

First and foremost, congratulations my fellow Reds. I'm still speechless right now.

Anyway, back to topic, I've been watching United for 17 years and this is just behind 08 CL win for me. It is the manner that we did in. 10 players missing - it's crazy.

I love Manchester United. :devil:
The '99 final will always be top but for me, this ranks as second because it was just so unexpected and, of course, who doesn't like a little bit of late drama?

purgethefallen

It's not the fact it's just the round of 16, it's the total emotional package. It's one night, a league is over months so the emotion is spread out. It's magical, if I can put it like that.

joeunited

99 final was absolute madness. Running around the flat, trying to keep the voice down but still couldn't help waking up the missus at almost 4 a.m. (my time).
Giggs' against Arsenal was also crazy. The goal itself and after Big Schmike saved the last minute pen.
Roma 7-1 was great but for me, since the goal kept coming, it was more like giggles for me.

And this one, oohhhh, hadn't felt like this for a while, had we? And against PSG, I developed a big dislike for them since Silva said "Di Maria moved to a bigger club", well, feck you.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Probably in the top ten of non trophy wins that's for sure, a phenomenal achievement but I always felt we'd do it pre-match anyway and MUTV kinda let me know we'd done it by having a ticker running(when I switched channels @ 00:01 to watch it as live as I often do for midweek matches)saying that the whole match was on at midnight and they wouldn't have done that if the lads hadn't turned the tie around, the only other time I can remember them doing similar was for the RvP hat-trick against Villa when we last won the League.

shabz

Amazing night, solidified by how low we have been on the football ladder the last 5 seasons. Our commercial success was outdoing our football on the field and on a global platform we havent been highly regarded as a favourite for the CL. This was a reintroduction and it was fantastic.

Best day in 5 years of misery, but let's not forget it was only the last 16. We should be there by default and beating a club like PSG should be a formality. Its a huge step in the right direction but there have been plenty of bigger moments than this.