Where to fit Pogba?

ThinkTank@Cafe

McFred has become a formidable partnership in the middle. They proved themselves against LIverpool, Spurs and City. We won 6 in the last 7 games they played together. Given this circumstance, the question trending now on the forum is: where to fit Pogba? Opinions, please.

1. Number 10.
2. Number 6. Deep lying playmaker (taking over Fred)
3. Number 8. Box to Box (instead of McT).
4. Sell him. Buy some class
5. Use another formation to accommodate him.

I like him, but will swap Paul for a world class AM. So, my call is option 4.

can we have a poll?

prateik

Lingard's role in the current setup.
Lingard as backup to Pog or Right/Left wing .

Ish

Lights on for Luke
First option: #10 he walks in ahead of any other option we have at 10. No contest.

Second option: if he wants out, sell him for as much as we can get and use the money to rebuild and on 2 players in any of the following positions: 10, 8, 6 or RW.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
#10, that's his best position too. Not as traditional 10 but as part of midfield 3 where he can bomb forward.

ThinkTank@Cafe

First option: #10 he walks in ahead of any other option we have at 10. No contest.

Second option: if he wants out, sell him for as much as we can get and use the money to rebuild and on 2 players in any of the following positions: 10, 8, 6 or RW.
i doubt he is capable of playing 10 in the current formation. He doesn’t have attributes for that. He dwells on the ball, loses ball in tight spaces, doesn’t press a lot. It’s better to sell him when he is in high regard.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
its absolutely obvious that he has to play #10 in place of Lingard/Andreas - that position has been the major weak link for us all year

ThinkTank@Cafe

SAF sold Ince, Kanchelskis, Beckham when he realized that it was better for a team. May be Pogba’ s time is up.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
i doubt he is capable of playing 10 in the current formation. He doesn’t have attributes for that. He dwells on the ball, loses ball in tight spaces, doesn’t press a lot. It’s better to sell him when he is in high regard.
Its primarily an attacking position, losing the ball in that area of the pitch is not as much of a problem as in your own half - you are judged on goals and assists in that position and he will provide them

ThinkTank@Cafe

Its primarily an attacking position, losing the ball in that area of the pitch is not as much of a problem as in your own half - you are judged on goals and assists in that position and he will provide them
I will be delighted if Paul takes this opportunity by the neck, improves his work rate and team play. If he fails, we will lose some money. I guess, taking Fred out of the team is no more an option for the Caf? Everyone impressed by McFred?

Advanced midfielder in a 433. Rather than his usual position on the left side in a 433 I'd move him to the center and have Fred on the left and McTominay on the right. It has caused lots of unbalance when we've played Pogba on the left. It'll be easier to make the 433/4231 hybrid if we play him on the center. So that's how I'd solve the problem.

Skills

Snitch
Number 10 isn't really his best position. He's better off as an 8, making late runs into the box.

We'll have to change shape a bit to really get the best out of him (which was the time of form and run he went on last season) but it'll be for the best of the team. I'd play him as a RCM in a midfield 3, to add a double threat on the right and AWB has less pressure to create from that side.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We could tweak it slightly and play with a 6 and 2 8's? Pogba was really good at Juve, playing ahead of Pirlo and Vidal/Marchisio - albeit, slightly to the left iirc. Either way, he's our best midfielder, so IMO, even if it means signing a 10 in January and leaving Pogba as a 8....he just has to start.

IrishRedDevil

It’s obviously as a 10 infront of Fred and McTominay.

If he wants to leave, sell in the summer and go buy Maddison as the replacement.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Left in a midfield three. That's his best role. To get the best out of him he has to be played there.

I don't think the traditional 10 would work. He's not disciplined enough for that role. We've seen him there in the past and what happens is that he either a) gets frustrated and isolated because he doesn't see as much as the ball as he wants, or b) he naturally drops deeper to collect the ball meaning he's not where he's supposed to be leaving too much gap between the midfield and forwards.

He's our best individual player but if we could get Ødegaard + £50m I'd bite your arm off. Would benefit the team much more.

Classical Mechanic

We could tweak it slightly and play with a 6 and 2 8's? Pogba was really good at Juve, playing ahead of Pirlo and Vidal/Marchisio - albeit, slightly to the left iirc. Either way, he's our best midfielder, so IMO, even if it means signing a 10 in January and leaving Pogba as a 8....he just has to start.
They played 5-3-2 in his best season.

Crashoutcassius

I would like to see him played in the 10 until end of season. Line up a new 10. Sell him for 100m plus. If the bid doesn't come in just keep him

Edit - really don't agree with massively changing the system to fit him in. Actually think it would be a good message to drop him for games where teams allow is to counter- we are unbelievable in these games.

Last edited:

Shiva87

I would like to see him played in the 10 until end of season. Line up a new 10. Sell him for 100m plus. If the bid doesn't come in just keep him

Edit - really don't agree with massively changing the system to fit him in. Actually think it would be a good message to drop him for games where teams allow is to counter- we are unbelievable in these games.
He is the best link player in a fast paced counterattacking team from deep midfield to attack, and you would want to bench him for those games. Hmm... His running with the ball is brilliant, and he can fit perfectly into a free role ahead of 2 defensive midfielders! He will add creativity and control in tight spaces, which Lingard just cannot do! He may not be able to press like Lingard though! (Although, he barely did that in the City game).

pmgeorge

number 10, but he has to learn to release the ball faster. He can do it it, it is just not in his habit.

EdinburghDevil

This for me too. I think the need for a 10 is greatest and cover in 8/6 or ST for me is what the squad needs most right now. RW could wait until the summer for me.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They played 5-3-2 in his best season.
Yeah, hence why I think he shifted marginally further forward, left of a 3 man midfield? Having a wingback providing them with the width also makes sense, I guess.

Where do you think we should play him? His French NT position (CM/box to box) or a bit further forward at United - seen as the 10 position is probably where we're weakest.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lingard plays an important role in our front four, but the difference in quality is too big to consider keeping him in Pogba's place. Fred - McT look good at the moment, so I'd keep them as they are.

theklr

Number 10 isn't really his best position. He's better off as an 8, making late runs into the box.

We'll have to change shape a bit to really get the best out of him (which was the time of form and run he went on last season) but it'll be for the best of the team. I'd play him as a RCM in a midfield 3, to add a double threat on the right and AWB has less pressure to create from that side.
This. He's not quick enough , neither on the ball or in sudden bursts forward, to fit what Lingard was doing against Spurs and Man City.

Against low-block teams (so everyone outside top 6), he will be a perfect fit as an 8 or "normal" mid ahead of McFred.

But I actually think giving Pogba freedom to roam wherever he wants is the best choice.

Creative players like him relish the opportunity to feel "special" and make their own decisions without thinking about defending.

Against teams that want to dominate , I would almost say Lingard (if he keeps his form) is a better choice, as strange as that sounds.

But Ole is gonna play him in every game when (if) he's back, so we would need to tweak the formation/gameplay as you say.

It will anyway make us more than a one-trick pony, and up our chances against low-blocks. Cant wait tbh.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I will be delighted if Paul takes this opportunity by the neck, improves his work rate and team play. If he fails, we will lose some money. I guess, taking Fred out of the team is no more an option for the Caf? Everyone impressed by McFred?
Pogba's work rate is not a problem.
Even before the McFred partnership grew stronger, I felt Pogba was best deployed at #10. now that we have a good option at #6/8 it makes even more sense

Pobga is the one who can unlock the stubborn defensive teams, it makes sense on every level

Camilo

Our midfield is ideal for Pogba to fit into. If he can't make it work here as a 3rd man with two hard working midfielders behind him then sell up. He doesn't have to play a "10" role traditionally - I'm sure football has enough flexibility to survive a slight tweak. If it doesn't work second half of the season then fine, we've nothing to lose.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, hence why I think he shifted marginally further forward, left of a 3 man midfield? Having a wingback providing them with the width also makes sense, I guess.

Where do you think we should play him? His French NT position (CM/box to box) or a bit further forward at United - seen as the 10 position is probably where we're weakest.
That's the great conundrum isn't it. He doesn't fit neatly into any system. Mine is an opinion that upsets a lot of people on here but I think we should sell him and buy players that do fit a specific system. I think the way the game is played these days there is less room for high skill individual players that require a 'free role'. The game has become more about cohesive tactical systems with high physical work rate.

I don't think we can look at Juve for guidance because we simply don't face the same conditions they did in their league context .They've had little competition in that league for a number of years. The season after Pogba left they got exactly the same amount of points and won the league again, they had been able to lose a number of big names in this era whilst winning the league every season. The PL is much more unforgiving.

I think we've settled into a 4-2-3-1 with an effective double pivot in Fred and McT so I think the only place to play him would be in the 10 role without disturbing the balance of the team. As other posters have mentioned though, he doesn't run as much as Lingard so you lose a part of that defending from the front aspect.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. As @theklr pointed out, when facing a low block it's fine to play him in the double pivot and in those games he's essential considering our options. When the game is more open the question remains if we lose too much defensively with him in the side as a opposed to a Lingard.

romufc

Pogba has to go now, the team needs someone in the no 10. role who will press as well.

Pogba will not do that, having the £120m in the bank to spend on others is better of.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That's the great conundrum isn't it. He doesn't fit neatly into any system. Mine is an opinion that upsets a lot of people on here but I think we should sell him and buy players that do fit a specific system. I think the way the game is played these days there is less room for high skill individual players that require a 'free role'. The game has become more about cohesive tactical systems with high physical work rate.

I don't think we can look at Juve for guidance because we simply don't face the same conditions they did in their league context .They've had little competition in that league for a number of years. The season after Pogba left they got exactly the same amount of points and won the league again, they had been able to lose a number of big names in this era whilst winning the league every season. The PL is much more unforgiving.

I think we've settled into a 4-2-3-1 with an effective double pivot in Fred and McT so I think the only place to play him would be in the 10 role without disturbing the balance of the team. As other posters have mentioned though, he doesn't run as much as Lingard so you lose a part of that defending from the front aspect.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. As @theklr pointed out, when facing a low block it's fine to play him in the double pivot and in those games he's essential considering our options. When the game is more open the question remains if we lose too much defensively with him in the side as a opposed to a Lingard.
Can't disagree with much of that opinion, albeit it's a sad indicator of where we're at when Lingard is a consideration because he works hard. That should be the first requirement for any footballer.

I wouldn't mind too much selling Pogba - if he wants to leave and the price is right because yeah, I think we'd be able to build a more cohesive team without him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rashford Martial James
Pogba
Fred McTominay
Play him as a 8/10 hybrid. The base of Fred and McSaucy should benefit him greatly.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'll basically be given license to roam across the pitch, pushed slightly higher than McFred. He'd give the front 3 so much more penetration against those low block teams that I can't wait for him to be back.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2 good results, Pogba shouldn't play for us at all as he won't suit us.

Few bad results, we miss Pogba's quality to unlock defenses.

We play on quick counters and there isn't anyone in the squad who has the passing range of Pogba, he doesn't even need to play as midfield 2 to pass from deep, #10 for us drop deeper and then link the play, Pogba should be part of our best 11 and that should be in midfield 3.