Where to fit Pogba?

Castia

McTerminator and Fred sitting with Pogba in the Lingard spot is what will probably happen.

BigLebowski007

I'd play him together with Fred and McT. He can drift between number 8 and 10 roles as the game dictates. Sort of a free role. Or in other words number 10 who comes deep to get the ball when needed.

And yeah, Fred and McT can't play all the games from now till the end of the season. So we definitelly need to keep him till we find a good replacement. We will need 2 high quality CMs just to replace him.

Nr.7

Sell him. Sell/release Matic.

Use the 130mil to buy two CM.
I would rather we bought a CM before we sell Pogba.
Clubs will try to screw us on the fee with an extra 20-30 million just cause we’re Man Utd, so it’ll be even worse to try negotiate after we just got around 120-130 million for Pogba.

Ekeke

Pogba should never have been dropped back from last season's attacking position. Replace Lingard with Pogba with Fred and McTominay being more solid behind him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The thing is that none of the players nor their clubs will fancy a move in the middle of the season with the Euros in the summer. Pogba will have to commit himself to keep his starting spot with France and that will benefit us.
Doubt it. Reckon France will play him anyway if he's fit.

If a big team wants in for him we should sell at a good fee, just because the dynamics might change again next summer and we risk losing him for less.

TrustInOle

Obvious choice is to replace the number 10 and give Pogba a free roam in front of Fred and McSauce. He is the missing piece now and believe once he is back, with the way we are playing, he will take us up that next level. Massively missed his creativity going forward. Any chance he takes part on thursday?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Obvious choice is to replace the number 10 and give Pogba a free roam in front of Fred and McSauce. He is the missing piece now and believe once he is back, with the way we are playing, he will take us up that next level. Massively missed his creativity going forward. Any chance he takes part on thursday?
Isn’t this the way he plays for France? Kante and Matudi allowing him to be creative while they do a lot of the graft. Pogba just in front of them and behind a mobile front 3. It’s worth an experiment as the current option of Pereira coming on just fills me with dissolution

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe let him roam free in a number 10 role?

Also since our right and left forwards work really hard, maybe 3 man midfield isn't really needed after all? seeing how We thrive on Counter Attack than playing possession in the middle of the park, two man midfield with Pogba as number 10 seems like a no brainer. Press the opponent and score quick goals with through pass or one twos. It will also help the CF because having Pogba hovering near your penalty box is already a threat by itself, the defenders or DMF must focus on him.

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Isn’t this the way he plays for France? Kante and Matudi allowing him to be creative while they do a lot of the graft. Pogba just in front of them and behind a mobile front 3. It’s worth an experiment as the current option of Pereira coming on just fills me with dissolution
Agreed and yes, thats how I see him playing for france to, with Matuidi covering the left flank incase his creativity results in him losing possession on that side of the pitch, which he operates most. If youve noticed, especially the last 2 games, Fred has picked up a similar approach in terms of covering alot of the time Rashford loses the ball when trying the dribble forward. Confident he will excel in this team finally and excited to see the link up between Him, Tony and Rashford.

Tarrou

Yeah this is blatant nonsense. Ole best ever run as manager of this club included Pogba being very integral in his team. Pogba is exactly what this team is missing especially in terms of creativity. He easily slot in as a third midfielder in a 433.

Same sort of nonsense were being said about Martial. For some reasons these random myths about these players being unable to play certain ways get made and we get arguments such as yours thrown around.
Ole wants a player who presses in that position. That isn't nonsense mate, is it?

I'd still pick him in the 10 position for his pure ability, and the other options are poor. But after he leaves Ole will replace him with a player who can press. Do you disagree?

The_Order

2 good results and Pogba isn't good enough.

This place at times.
Utter insanity.

Here I am thinking of the devastating potential of a Pogba orchestrated prong of Rash, Martial and James.

downunder red

Just an idea. Could Fred be pushed forward into the no 10 role? This way it puts Pogba back where he normally plays. Fred could be worth a try. To me he can press a lot better and faster than Lingard. I think he has the ability to break open defences with his passing. It also gives Pogba more room for his long passing and his deep runs he's well known for. Just an idea.

Reynoldo

Utter insanity.

Here I am thinking of the devastating potential of a Pogba orchestrated prong of Rash, Martial and James.
Exactly! #10 as a straight swap for Lingard in the current system, its a no brainer for me. And for those who say he holds onto the ball too much to fit there they are wrong, I think his holding onto the ball too much is because he has been played so deep and he thinks he needs to constantly be "dictating" play as is required of that deeper role. I think he will thrive pinging little quick ones left right and centre to that front three.

El Zoido

Rashford Martial James
Pogba
Fred McTominay
Play him as a 8/10 hybrid. The base of Fred and McSaucy should benefit him greatly.
Sounds perfect on paper, because he’s clearly a much better player than Lingard and Pereira. But Lingard’s pace, pressure, and intensity, is a large part of the reason we won these two games. Even though Pogba is a better player, he doesn’t press like Lingard does when the opposition has the ball in their own half. Not that I’m suggesting sticking with Lingard, but this may not be the dream formation we‘re hoping for.

The_Order

Sounds perfect on paper, because he’s clearly a much better player than Lingard and Pereira. But Lingard’s pace, pressure, and intensity, is a large part of the reason we won these two games. Even though Pogba is a better player, he doesn’t press like Lingard does when the opposition has the ball in their own half. Not that I’m suggesting sticking with Lingard, but this may not be the dream formation we‘re hoping for.
Pogba's assist numbers shows he doesn't have to

He is pure creation. Might be just what we need to pick stubborn defences.

OleTheGreat

It will be the most ridiculous decision to sell Paul.

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw/Williams
Mctominay
Fred Pogba
James Martial Rashford

This is the way to go!

Tarrou

It will be the most ridiculous decision to sell Paul.

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw/Williams
Mctominay
Fred Pogba
James Martial Rashford

This is the way to go!
But he wants to leave. What would you do instead? Let him run down his contract?

Rolaholic

Utter insanity.

I think many are excited with the prospect of that,just weird seeing 'fans' claim they'd rather get rid of him midseason instead of seeing what he can do with our front 3 full of confidence and form...

Especially when his skills are tailor made to compliment the strength of said front 3 which is playing with width, directness and devastating pace. Defenses will have fits trying to defend his backline splitting passes with Rashford, Martial or James striding at the end of them

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Mctominay Fred
James Pogba Rashford
Martial
For the rest of the season. Until then we may need to find a replacement for Pogba or no.10 position, and look for another CM/DM.

thepolice123

France's midfield setup is nothing like ours, likewise their players. Griezmann's role in that France team is closest to Lingard's.

And Pogba doesn't even play a free role there. His position was a disciplined one, occupying that right sided midfield position. That setup requires a pure DM anchoring which neither Fred nor Mctominay are.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Throw him in there in front of Fred and McTominay. You're not telling me that 4 or 5 months playing in that system with that licence and with those guys around him won't revitalise his feelings about United.

stevoc

Lingard, Pereria or Pogba at no10 um really difficult one that.

ReddBalls

Asked if he still believes Pogba is the man to get United back to the top, Solskjaer said: "Paul is a fantastic player, a fantastic human being and has always been a great professional.

"I've had a great relationship with him, I had him in the reserves a few years back.

"And I said [previously], 'if he's in your squad, you'd build your team around him', and I haven't changed that much since then, so I would say the same now."
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-build-around-paul-pogba-at-manchester-united

Now, where do you put an offensive minded midfield player you want to build the team around?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Preferably as a 10. He’s a creator. People keep on with this ‘he ain’t getting ahead of McTominay or Fred’ - it’s not his role, Ole only moved him back so we could have someone who can pass the ball from deep in the first place. If we’d had a Michael Carrick, I doubt Pogba would have ever been moved to the double pivot. The idea that he should be some sort of squad player is obviously ridiculous though. As is any notion that he shouldn’t be in the team because he ‘loses the ball too much’, despite him giving it away less than the other midfielders, or any implication that he’s technically deficient. If that were the case, why keep saying ‘sell him to Real or Juve for £100m?’. Why not sell him to Sevilla or Everton for £30m? Why would Real or Juve want a midfielder who is no good? Perhaps in reality, we should be more afraid of them buying Fred or McTominay from us?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole wants a player who presses in that position. That isn't nonsense mate, is it?

I'd still pick him in the 10 position for his pure ability, and the other options are poor. But after he leaves Ole will replace him with a player who can press. Do you disagree?
We don't really press that much.

In the away games we sit off them and soak up pressure, win the ball then counter at speed.

In the home games you can't press a team that is already sat back and giving you the ball. Creativity is key.

Yes Jesse is better at the hard work, but give me Pogba to create/score goals any day.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

In the away games we sit off them and soak up pressure, win the ball then counter at speed.

In the home games you can't press a team that is already sat back and giving you the ball. Creativity is key.

Yes Jesse is better at the hard work, but give me Pogba to create/score goals any day.
We don't press that much because we don't quite have that quality yet

Jonno

The reason our attack works so well is because we have a Lingard (or dare I say it Pereira) there who selflessly press for 75 or so minutes, turn over posession high up the pitch and send their team mates through in attack.

Would Pogba do the same job in Number 10? I think he holds on to the ball for too long, he sometimes looks for the most hollywood option rather than a simple pass, and I don't think he naturally presses. I do think he's our most talented player but he might be forced to replace Fred, which is a real shame as he's in good form right now.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Lingard does ok running around a lot against good teams but he's completely invisible against lower rated sides. Pogba just jogs back to defend so putting him in a position where he doesn't need to defend as much makes sense. We need his creativity and goal threat from a position where he is able to get into the right positions. We need him in the team because mostly we are clueless in breaking down the parked bus. Pogba as the 10 all the way for me, at least against weak sides. Lingard can play when we sit back and counter against good teams.

Adam-Utd

We don't press that much because we don't quite have that quality yet
Our centre backs don't suit it either. Lindelof / Maguire aren't fast enough and DDG isn't a sweeper keeper.

Leicester used to sit a bit deeper with Maguire and use Vardy/Mahrez pace on the counter. That suits our game a lot more effectively.

Honestly the pressing game is overrated anyway. Unless you have a team that works perfectly doing it you just create yourself problems.

Tarrou

Pogba will play over Jesse, that isn't in question in my eyes

But my point is that Ole prefers a 10 who presses, so in terms of Ole's ideal system I don't think Pogba is the ideal fit

Adam-Utd

Pogba will play over Jesse, that isn't in question in my eyes

But my point is that Ole prefers a 10 who presses, so in terms of Ole's ideal system I don't think Pogba is the ideal fit
I think Pogba can press plenty as required. He's never had a problem doing the running, it's just he has a habit of switching off and letting men run behind him. More a lack of concentration than effort.

This has somehow translated into him being "lazy" when that's not really true IMO. With Fred/Mctominay doing the donkey work, i'm sure Pogba can manage to press effectively If Ole asks.

I'm more concerned about him creating chances or scoring goals anyway.