Where to fit Pogba?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The reason our attack works so well is because we have a Lingard (or dare I say it Pereira) there who selflessly press for 75 or so minutes, turn over posession high up the pitch and send their team mates through in attack.

Would Pogba do the same job in Number 10? I think he holds on to the ball for too long, he sometimes looks for the most hollywood option rather than a simple pass, and I don't think he naturally presses. I do think he's our most talented player but he might be forced to replace Fred, which is a real shame as he's in good form right now.
Hehe. Lingard and Pereira are ‘the reason our attack works so well’. Give me strength.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
People are forgetting how awesome/instumental Pogba was in that first Ole bounce. He just needs to hit the ground running and produce the same performances when he is back.

jackal&hyde

Pogba should never have been dropped back from last season's attacking position. Replace Lingard with Pogba with Fred and McTominay being more solid behind him
It was the best thing to do given the options at the time. Fred wasn't ready.

OleTheGreat

But he wants to leave. What would you do instead? Let him run down his contract?
He can leave if he wants to because I don't believe it is best to keep a player who wants to leave but i think he would recognize the changes Ole has brought even when he is not part of the team and I think he would acknowledge that. If Pogba is a player who wanted to come back to get us back to the top, i don't think there is any better time to do that than now. It is perfect the time to get himself back in this team and prove everyone wrong. He has 2 midfielders who are on song and will perfectly work alongside him to get the ball back. Every attack of United can go through Pogba and his decision making will only benefit us.

In spite of all this if he wants to leave, well then, you can and we can bring in a player like Fernandes who will fit the bill perfectly!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It'd be daft to meddle with the blossoming McFred partnership, which had been key to our recent success. So the only option is for Pogba to fit around those 2, most likely as the most advanced of the 3. Basically as a 10.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't believe Pogba is worth discussing at this point as he will leave, but if he was to sign a new contract I would be happy, I think. He is class but I still don't know where he would play and if he would even fit in this set up. It depends a lot on if he would improve his weaknesses in CM and if not could be detrimental to our whole set up if he plays in that role. The best situation if he stays if he could learn to play as a real 10, but then he'll play with his back towards the goal, he'll see less of the ball so needs to be very assured when he actually get it. I don't even think its fair to expect him to play good in that role, which means he should be playing deeper.

He'll never find the perfect team, players rarely do. They have to adapt and make sure their contribution is in line with what the team needs to perform, not act like the team don't do enough for you.

romufc

Isn’t this the way he plays for France? Kante and Matudi allowing him to be creative while they do a lot of the graft. Pogba just in front of them and behind a mobile front 3. It’s worth an experiment as the current option of Pereira coming on just fills me with dissolution
Pogba actually plays in a 2 with Kante.

Matuidi plays on the left of midfield. With Giroud as ST and Griezman behind him.

It wouldn't work with our set up because we have Rashford of the left.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
James......Pogba......Rashford

Give Pogba freedom to roam and find space. I would like to see him make numerous runs to the wings when appropriate.

Kostur

海尔的老板
People are forgetting how awesome/instumental Pogba was in that first Ole bounce. He just needs to hit the ground running and produce the same performances when he is back.
We cannot hire and fire Mourinho every two weeks.

RedCurry

Regardless of where he plays, he doesn't offer the same amount of work-rate that alternatives provide. So in my opinion he should come straight into Lingard's. But in tight games, he has to be subbed out. For some games he might even have to start on the bench.

Ole needs to have the balls to do whatever is best for the team basically.

He'sRaldo

Weird how people say Pogba hasn't fit our systems. He's been one of our most productive players since he arrived, how does he not fit any system?

The Red Thinker

Pogba will walk into where Lingard plays now. He will play ahead of McDominate and Fred. Only thing I'm worried about is that our press is reliant on Pogba/Lingard to keep a shape. Pogba has to be positionally disciplined. I'm not sure it will be as smooth a transition into the team as people think. We could get caught out in the press or the defensive shape if Pogba isn't as energetic as Lingard has been. Ole must ensure Pogba moves his arse like the rest of the team.

The offensive upside is huge and Pogba will make an instant impact, but defensively I hope he follows the plan.

peridigm

Pogba will walk into where Lingard plays now. He will play ahead of McDominate and Fred. Only thing I'm worried about is that our press is reliant on Pogba/Lingard to keep a shape. Pogba has to be positionally disciplined. I'm not sure it will be as smooth a transition into the team as people think. We could get caught out in the press or the defensive shape if Pogba isn't as energetic as Lingard has been. Ole must ensure Pogba moves his arse like the rest of the team.

The offensive upside is huge and Pogba will make an instant impact, but defensively I hope he follows the plan.
I can see him taking that role and making it his if nothing else than to make RM anxious to bid for him. If he comes in and plays a part for the rest of our season and helps us secure top 4 then he can leave with no hard feelings.

Milo2035

Why is everyone saying selling him to have money to buy a world class player ? We have all the money in the world :lol:.
Keep him, at all cost. We have one of best attacking midfielders in the world and yall think we can replace him so easily :houllier:
Good counterattacking games against Spurs and City and you're all over the moon. Everton will win or get a draw against us next game and everyone will pray Pogba to be back ASAP.

Heardy

I just don’t see him back in the side. I don’t think he’s head is in it anymore. I can see us recouping our money and him going to Madrid or back to Juve.

Interesting to see people saying simply buy Maddison to replace him. Sadly, if Leicester keep yo their run of form and secure CL football, I’m not sure it’d be a done deal!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Weird how people say Pogba hasn't fit us. He's been one of our most productive players since he arrived, how doesn't he fit any system?
You have to correct these things early on here, or it just becomes a fact that he’s only played well in the spell after Ole arrived. That may we’ll have been the best he has played, but now people are acting as if anything less than that level is shite. He has regularly been our best player on the pitch, even when not scoring 2 goals a game. Even last season, he started in good form, and had excellent games in particular against Everton and Newcastle before Ole’s arrival. He then got injured for a month, and had his 3 poorest games of the season when he returned, and was dropped. That was it.

In the season before, he was again very good early in the season, and he then got injured again (if anyone recalls constant press conferences where Jose kept saying he ‘didn’t want to make excuses for our form’, and then when Pogba returned, he said ‘I can speak about it now because he is fit, but when you lose a player like that who is so important etc’) the issue is, he’s always about 3 poor games from screwing the narrative for the entire season, and that’s partly because nobody else steps up and wins us those games when he’s not been on it. Salah has had his share of dips in the last two seasons, but it hasn’t been blown into a massive issue. He comes back into form when he comes back into form, and his teammates do the job in the meantime.

Pogba has had his share of poor games, but apart from a handful of the world’s best, I think he’s been the best player on the pitch, and at least on his team, for his fair share. What makes his form after Ole came in so noticeable is that it coincided with us winning loads of games. Him playing well doesn’t count for as much when we don’t. He has had some really bad games for us, at times in quick succession, but this notion that he’s been terrible for 3 years is a joke.

As always, if anyone cares to look at the facts, I invite people to read back through the post match team and individual threads to refresh yourselves. The bad games were there, but most of them were good. Good performances (for everyone, not just Pogba) count a lot less when a team isn’t winning though. Unless you are a striker, as nobody can take your goals away from you.

He’s been voted player of the tournament in the Europa League and in PL team of the season since he’s been here. He’s been nowhere near as bad as made out. But he can’t be Keane, Xavi and Ronaldinho in one as people demand.

He has little excuse to perform now though, as most of the other jobs in midfield are actually being done by others, and the strikers are generally doing theirs. He just needs to do his now, and there will be little excuse if he doesn’t.

jackal&hyde

Neither was Pogba to play that role. We didnt have an AM to replace him either. So we had 2 people not ready instead of 1
We had AMs, as not great as they are (Lingard, Mata, Pereira). CMs we had none.

romufc

He’s been nowhere near as bad as made out. But he can’t be Keane, Xavi and Ronaldinho in one as people demand.
This is the problem. fans expect him to be the box to box, create chances, play as a DM, do something special on the ball, score goals and not to lose the ball?

When he plays, he makes it look so effortless passing a ball.

He walks back into the team If and when he is back fit.

Shimo

It will be an absolute horrible move if Ole decides that our starting XI should be Pogba next to one of Fred or McTomminay. For how he wants us to play, those 2 have to be pretty much nailed on starters when fit and not needing rest. They provide the perfect base for what goes on in front of them, which is the front 3 staying up high. Lots of energy and desire to defend but, also both are now just looking to move the ball up the field quickly as possible, not dawdle on it.

Pogba is different when he plays deep, it he likes to take people on and often will hold on to the ball a bit longer to be that creative spark but, that often then allows for other teams to simply cut off the front 3.

Where Pogba has to fit in is in the Lingard/Perreira/Mata spot. Don't think he is necessarily a #10 but, he is can be that free midfielder in the 4-3-3 setup versus a 4-2-3-1. What it will also allow for is a lot more fluidity in the middle of the park. Right now McTomminay / Fred one of the 2 will sometimes make the forward run but, with 3 of them in midfield, Pogba can even be the player that drops deeper allowing the other 2 to get up the field but, for the most part, Pogba should be the one that getting the ball somewhere between the halfway line and the 18 yard box, let him create overloads or receive the ball and make some of those passes that only he can make.

Ability wise he is the most talented player on the squad but, for the balance of the team, my biggest question is does Pogba fit into the side when we play the likes of a Liverpool, City or other teams of that ilk. Lingard to me was crucial to the way we played against City, Perreira was also important against Liverpool. Both players were important in sitting on the deeper midfielders and making it difficult and in Lingard's case, also a good amount of pace. So do we sit a player of Pogba's quality so we can get a bit more industry out of players like Lingard / Perreira or do say the quality of Pogba and the front 3 will see us carry far more threat that we can afford to lose out on some of the work rate.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

He has little excuse to perform now though, as most of the other jobs in midfield are actually being done by others, and the strikers are generally doing theirs. He just needs to do his now, and there will be little excuse if he doesn’t.
If Pogba does indeed perform as we know he can, we could suddenly turn into an incredibly dangerous team. :drool:

I also want him to start shooting more if he plays as the CAM, he has the ability to score cracking goals and we need that variety for sure, we can't expect only Rashford and Martial to be scoring all the goals.

Jonno

Hehe. Lingard and Pereira are ‘the reason our attack works so well’. Give me strength.
Whichever of the two plays, plaus a selfless part of the 4 man attack. This role is similar to Firminho’s role at Liverpool But both are far inferior to Bobby. However if you can’t see the role they play in our fast, counterattacking tactic in terms of pressing and link-up play, then give me strength.

ICHM

I don't want him back until he is fully fit. Then on the bench and he has to earn a recall.

zenith

Whichever of the two plays, plaus a selfless part of the 4 man attack. This role is similar to Firminho’s role at Liverpool But both are far inferior to Bobby. However if you can’t see the role they play in our fast, counterattacking tactic in terms of pressing and link-up play, then give me strength.
Both of them are atrocious and they play simply because we do not have any other option. On their best day, they run and press a lot, I agree but surely that is not good enough to keep a player like pogba out of the team.

By sheer quality of upper body strength, pass quality and goal scoring ability, pogba should be back in the team as soon as he fit.

Jonno

Both of them are atrocious and they play simply because we do not have any other option. On their best day, they run and press a lot, I agree but surely that is not good enough to keep a player like pogba out of the team.

By sheer quality of upper body strength, pass quality and goal scoring ability, pogba should be back in the team as soon as he fit.
Lingard isn’t atrocious, he’s bang average and can occasionally put the odd good performance in. Pereira is poor, and ideally he isn’t near the squad. But the overall style of play Ole is trying to implement is working. We just need to go out and buy a world class No 10 and I don’t think Pogba is that player, I think Pogba is a world class Number 8 or Number 6.

hungrywing

It will be an absolute horrible a move if Ole decides that our starting XI should be Pogba next to one of Fred or McTomminay. ..
There are a lot of Ole-out people kind of leaning towards dipping a toe into Ole in. If he does something like the quoted part, they'll lose their minds.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Pogba does indeed perform as we know he can, we could suddenly turn into an incredibly dangerous team. :drool:

I also want him to start shooting more if he plays as the CAM, he has the ability to score cracking goals and we need that variety for sure, we can't expect only Rashford and Martial to be scoring all the goals.
His shooting has declined a bit tbh, it isn’t the best. I don’t think it’s a technical issue, more a mental one. Mentally, he’s not instinctively a goal scorer for me. He’s not purposeful enough in terms of trying to score. By instinct, he is a passer I think. Similar to Hazard. Some players are like that. Both he and Hazard can score goals, but they do not have the mentality of a goal scorer. Leads to them either scuffing shots and either scoring tap ins or worldies. Someone like Lampard or Alli - when they are in position, they mean it. Pogba is most comfortable passing the ball. It’s one of the reasons that I disagree with him being a selfie player. He’s a passer by nature, and maybe almost even bottles some shooting chances.

Sterling Archer

Easily the role Lingard has. With Pogba in there, I'm imagining seeing more of the kind of attacks we saw the last thirty minutes of the opening three or four games in Mourinho's second season. Except now we've got James instead of Lukaku.

And yes, I am insinuating the type of play we've seen the last two games is nothing new; the squad has been well capable of it for a while.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pogba is clearly a better player & a player we need against the teams that we can't counter attack against -

Saying that

People must not underestimate the importance of our ability to attack 424 on the counter & Lingard has been vital to that in the last 2 games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba is clearly a better player & a player we need against the teams that we can't counter attack against -

Saying that

People must not underestimate the importance of our ability to attack 424 on the counter & Lingard has been vital to that in the last 2 games.

If our forwards continue their runs and continue showing for the ball upon Pogba’s return, then he will release them, and find them more frequently than Jesse Lingard does.

Gator Nate

Advanced midfielder in a 433. Rather than his usual position on the left side in a 433 I'd move him to the center and have Fred on the left and McTominay on the right. It has caused lots of unbalance when we've played Pogba on the left. It'll be easier to make the 433/4231 hybrid if we play him on the center. So that's how I'd solve the problem.
Rashford Martial James
Pogba
Fred McTominay
Play him as a 8/10 hybrid. The base of Fred and McSaucy should benefit him greatly.
McFredPog is the new term. His best position is between #8 and #10.

-------------McFred---------------
James----Pog------Rashford
-----------Martial------------------

The actual position is not so important as long as he plays as free role attacker like how Lingard played the last two games. He will interchange with Fred and McTom, especially Fred, when necessary. Pogba and Fred both are capable of playing further up front.
4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, whatever... I think we get too stuck on position numbers. The hybrid label is as good as any because, when we are ticking, things move so fast that those positions loose their meaning, like when Williams/Young/Shaw are up on the left and AWB is up on the right in a sort of 2-5-3 or 2-4-4 attack.

Offensively, Pogba is miles better than Lingard/Peirera/Mata. Defensively, give me Lingard every time on his intensity. That said, the Fred/McTominay combo gathering so much momentum that I really want to see Pogba ahead of them. That's when we'll start breaking down those low-level teams parking the bus and getting two-goal leads on the stronger teams.

But if Pogba really wants out, the sooner the better, for the many reasons stated previously in this thread.