Where would you rank our full-backs in the league?

Bestietom

Way down the table for me. (Mid table to bottom.) We need 2 new full backs for next season. Left and right side, we are just not good enough. Shaw has gone backwards since Rangnick came.

tomaldinho1

I don’t really know what’s happening with Shaw is he dropped or injured or both?
Lots of exaggeration already, our team has structural issues and everyone bar DDG, Fred and Ronaldo have looked awful this year. I think where we end up is probably a fair reflection of where they are right now, 6th or 7th best in the league.

OverratedOpinion

Shaw at is best is in the top hand full, inconsistency probably moves him down quite a lot.

The rest are at the lower end due based on performances.

AndySmith1990

Can't really say as I'm not familiar enough with all of the full backs in the league. But if they were playing for any other team I certainly wouldn't want us to sign any of them

goptun

Crazy that Shaw turns 27 in a month or so. Going into this season, it really felt as if he'd finally found his stride. Nobody comes out of this season looking good, but the fact that Shaw has also spent half of it injured is extra disappointing (and is obviously compounded by his shoddy performances). I'm sure there is plenty Ten Hag will like about him, but his inconsistency and unreliability means he's a bit useless.

The right-back position is even more of a disaster zone. AWB and Dalot are both midtable at absolute best. There was a moment yesterday in the City-Newcastle game in which Dubravka punted the ball upfield, and Cancelo beat Chris Wood in the air to regain possession for City. It was a fairly innocuous moment but it was something you'd never, ever see from our more supposedly 'defensively-minded' fullbacks.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Crazy that Shaw turns 27 in a month or so. Going into this season, it really felt as if he'd finally found his stride. Nobody comes out of this season looking good, but the fact that Shaw has also spent half of it injured is extra disappointing (and is obviously compounded by his shoddy performances). I'm sure there is plenty Ten Hag will like about him, but his inconsistency and unreliability means he's a bit useless.

The right-back position is even more of a disaster zone. AWB and Dalot are both midtable at absolute best.
What's to like with this lazy too good to run shaw?

Seriously? Not even hard working

redshaw

We've seen Shaw being very good at times, whether ETH can keep him at the level of fitness and mental state required, I think he can. On their own they're all at the bottom.

To think we had players like Evra, now it's Dalot Darmian AWB with over a billion spent and a host of poor managers. The recruitment all round is shocking and no wonder we're looking at falling into the Europa Conference.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Shaw is the only fullback we have good enough to play for a top tier club - at least he is on his day anyway.

AWB and Telles are poor overall.

Dalot might be the worst RB we've ever had at the club, and I say that without exaggeration.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really it's RB that's the killer assuming Shaw is in form and starting (which itself is a big assumption).

How many of TAA, James, Azpi, Walker, Cancelo, Tomiyasu, Coufal, Lamptey, Livramento, Cash, Castagne, Trippier, Aarons, etc. would you pick over Dalot/AWB? Maybe not all, but close enough.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Shaw top 6.
Wan Bissaka bottom 6.
Dalot Championship.
Telles League 1.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As a collective. Mid-table.

Individually:

Shaw - 6
AWB - 12
Dalot - 12
Telles - 20

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For left back I'd say Robertson/Tierney/Cancelo are without a doubt ahead of Shaw, possibly Digne and Cucurella based on the other day and Shaw never hitting his potential... Telles would be a bottom half left back.

Dalot and Wan Bissaka are firmly around mid table level. Probably about 10 right backs I'd have over Dalot or Wan Bissaka.

Blood Mage

Shaw when fully fit is still one of the best left-backs in the league. AWB and Dalot are mid-table standard and Telles is bottom-table standard.

Doracle

Shaw - top 4 standard
AWB - Palace type level
Telles - Burnley/Watford type level
Dalot - Preston/Stoke standard

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A slim and fit Shaw will definitely be in the top 10

current Shaw probably 15th or thereabouts

Dolf

Might not be entirely accurate but in my opinion something like this:

RB:

1. Cancelo
2. TAA
3. Walker
4. James
5. Trippier
6. Pereira
7. AWB
8. Semedo
9. Dalot
10. Cash/Ayling

LB:

1. Cancelo (If you count him as a LB)
2. Robertson
3. Chilwell
4. Shaw (in form)
5. Digne
6. Alonso
7. Tierney
8. Zinchenko
9-11. Cucurella / Reguilon / Telles (In any order)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Better than Everton's and Watford's. Not sure about the other teams. Probably better than Burnley, Norwich, Leeds. Maybe better than Villa's. Beyond that I'm struggling a bit.

RedChisel

It wasn't long ago some were proclaiming Shaw the best left back in the league. Insane how this squad has just dropped off a cliff.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If Shaw can get back to his best he's one of the best leftbacks in the league and world. However he's only shown that for one season, so if we're to rate him overall he's way down the list. Fingers crossed ETH can get him back to that level consistently.

The rest of them are very poor and there aren't many teams in the league that they'd get into.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It wasn't long ago some were proclaiming Shaw the best left back in the league. Insane how this squad has just dropped off a cliff.
Rangnick dropped him almost instantly.

I think it's fair to say unless he has full support of the manager he mentally checks out.

It's no coincidence that he decided to have this leg operation before the season ended and not in his summer break.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Their only rank is on the transfer list, some of them higher, some of them lower.

Gator Nate

Of the 20 teams, which place would you have them?
When I saw the title, my first question was, "Which league?"

But you're being specific... Middle at best. I mean, I've seen all of them do great things, but not enough great things, nor even good things consistently.

JB7

Shaw is the only one who can be good enough long term, he's also the only one I see fitting into Ten Hag's style of play with the intricate short triangular passes into the penalty area.

Obviously the concern is how bad he has when he's not on form, he's either a 9/10 or a 3/10 and there isn't a lot in between.

Wan Bissaka is a mid-table level full back, he'd be fine at a club aiming for 8th-12th I'd say, Telles was fine as a squad player but given a run of games is realistically a lower end of mid-table level player and Dalot is terrible, astonishing that he's not a Championship player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rangnick dropped him almost instantly.

I think it's fair to say unless he has full support of the manager he mentally checks out.

It's no coincidence that he decided to have this leg operation before the season ended and not in his summer break.
Rangnick never dropped him. Shaw's barely been fit since Rangnick joined.

First he was just returning from the head injury (when he'd had two concussions in short succession) and Telles had played quite well while he was out so kept his spot for another game or two, but then Shaw was put back into the team. Then he had the hamstring injury which kept him out for a few games, before coming back and being first choice for a month before catching Covid. He came back from that and was straight back into the starting line-up before injuring his leg again in that match which has since kept him out for the rest of the season.

Basically any time he's been fit he's been the starting fullback.

IRN-BRUno

Shaw - 3rd/4th
Wan-Bissaka - mid-table
Dalot - should be playing RM/RW for an average Championship side
Telles - take any LB released by a League 1 side and they couldn't do any worse

hobbers

As a group, relegation zone.

Shaw is probably good enough for a mid table side. Brighton, Wolves etc (not that he'd necessarily start for either right now).

AWB is perfect for a relegation side like Watford or Burnley, a team that expects 20-30% possession per game.

Dalot and Telles are also both bottom 5 tier players at their absolute best.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rangnick never dropped him. Shaw's barely been fit since Rangnick joined.

First he was just returning from the head injury (when he'd had two concussions in short succession) and Telles had played quite well while he was out so kept his spot for another game or two, but then Shaw was put back into the team. Then he had the hamstring injury which kept him out for a few games, before coming back and being first choice for a month before catching Covid. He came back from that and was straight back into the starting line-up before injuring his leg again in that match which has since kept him out for the rest of the season.

Basically any time he's been fit he's been the starting fullback.
Without checking i'm pretty sure Telles got picked for some important matches over Shaw when they were both fit.

Let's not forget before he even joined he publicly stated he'd replaced Shaw at LB.