Which 20 clubs would you pick to be in the Premier League?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Manchester United
Everton
Newcastle
Wigan
Aston Villa
Crystal Palace
Fulham
Charlton Athletic
West Brom
Reading
Hull City
Watford
QPR
Sheffield United
Bolton Wanderers

Couldn't think of any more clubs that we have a really really good record against

manunited1919

Looking through the league tables you see some historically "big" clubs down the divisions, including one time rivals, and even European Champions. I think the answer to this question will vary considerably depending on how old posters are, but what would you pick as the 20 biggest clubs in English football?

I've been trying to figure out my selection, and this is what I have so far:

1 - Manchester United
2 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal
4 - Everton
5 - Chelsea
6 - Manchester City
7 - Newcastle United
8 - Tottenham Hotspur
9 - Leeds United
10 - Aston Villa
11 - Nottingham Forest
12 - Southampton
13 - Sunderland
14 - Crystal Palace
15 - Wolverhampton Wanderers
16 - Blackburn Rovers
17 - Leicester City
18 - West Bromwich Albion
19 - West Ham United
20 - Sheffield Wednesday

In terms of fan base, trophies won, history, notable players and managers, I think this is the ultimate selection of clubs. Crystal Palace is by far the least successful side listed, but they've just always seemed to be in and around the premier league throughout my whole life. Plus the memories of our epic FA cup final (3-3 with Ian Wright terrorizing us) and replay against them, has left an indelible mark. Other teams I considered for places were:

Fulham, Sheffield United, Derby County, Ipswich Town, Portsmouth, Burnley, Bolton, Preston North End, Birmingham, QPR, and Swansea.

What other big teams do you remember from growing up that are nowhere today? One of my favourites was definitely Parma, a team that had Sensini, Asprilla, Zola, Dino Baggio, Crespo, Chiesa, Veron, Thuram, Cannavaro....fecking crazy. Or Sampdoria with Vialli, Mancini, Pagliuca, Vierchowod, Lombardo.

Talent seemed more spread out in those days. What random memories do you have from past eras? One thing that used to be really exciting was seeing a foreign player for the first time. Invariably you'd only ever heard magical tales of his feats, because there was no youtube, no 500 channels full of sports from around the world. I remember when Spurs signed Ilie Dumitrescu, and people went nuts like he was from another planet.
Good list. If Catalunia become independent, we should add Barcelona and remove the plastic blue team from that list, though.

RobertPires

Supports
Robert Pires
I was actually thinking about this the other day. Personally I think the league works best when you have clubs with a nice geographic spread to represent the entirety of England and Wales as best as is possible. I don't like the recent years it when you've had too many teams from London and not enough from the Midlands or the North East.

1. Arsenal (North London)
2. Chelsea (West London)
3. West Ham (East London)
4. Crystal Palace (South London)
5. Manchester United (Manchester)
6. Manchester City (Manchester)
7. Leeds Utd (Yorkshire)
8. Sheffield Wednesday (Yorkshire)
9. Newcastle United (North East)
10. Sunderland (North East)
11. Aston Villa (Midlands)
12. Wolverhampton Wanders (Midlands)
13. Liverpool (Merseyside)
14. Everton (Merseyside)
15. Swansea City (Wales)
16. Cardiff City (Wales)
17. Southampton (South Coast)
18. Norwich City (East Anglia)
19. Nottingham Forest (Nottingham)
20. Bristol City (South West)

Just missing out: Blackburn Rovers, Derby County, Hull City & Ipswich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Surprised at the amount of people picking Sunderland. Disaster and embarassement of a club imo.
Stuck them my big league but left them out of my preferred one. They're a sizeable club.

6 League tiltes - as many as Chelsea, more than Man City & Spurs for example. Only 5 teams with more
2 FA Cups
8th largest stadium in the country
15 Premier League participations (rank 13)
15th most combined points in the Premier League era
10th most combined points in English top flight history
10th most matches in English top flight history

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
City
United
Liverpool
Everton
Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea
Newcastle
Sunderland
Villa
Forest
Leeds
Leicester
West Ham
Stoke
Southampton
Wolves
Watford
Derby
Sheff Wed

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
City
United
Liverpool
Everton
Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea
Newcastle
Sunderland
Villa
Forest
Leeds
Leicester
West Ham
Stoke
Southampton
Wolves
Watford
Derby
Sheff Wed
Sheffield United instead of Watford and I agree.

SirAF

Ageist
Which 20 clubs I would pick to be in the PL?

Sure.

1 - Manchester United
2 - Charlton
3 - York City
4 - Everton
5 - Barnsley
6 - Preston NE
7 - Newcastle United
8 - Tottenham Hotspur
9 - Huddersfield
10 - Aston Villa
11 - Nottingham Forest
12 - Southampton
13 - Sunderland
14 - Crystal Palace
15 - Wolverhampton Wanderers
16 - Blackburn Rovers
17 - Leicester City
18 - West Bromwich Albion
19 - West Ham United
20 - Sheffield Wednesday

Panther

If we go by the 20 most successful clubs in England.

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Tottenham
6. Aston Villa
7. Everton
8. Manchester City
9. Newcastle United
10. Nottingham Forest
11. Wolverhampton Wanderers
12. Blackburn Rovers
13. Sheffield Wednesday
14. Sunderland
15. Leeds United
16. West Bromwich Albion
17. West Ham United
18. Sheffield United
19. Leicester City
20. Portsmouth

montpelier

I think this is everyone that has won it - 24 teams.

Tottenham only won it twice, makes me wonder how they came to be regarded as a massive club on the back of that? Cup wins & years in the top division I suppose?

Chelsea
Leicester
Man City
Man Utd
Arsenal
Blackburn
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton
Aston Villa
Nottm Forest
Derby
Ipswich
Burnley
Wolves
Tottenham
Portsmouth
Sunderland
Sheffield Wednesday
Huddersfield
Newcastle
West Brom
Sheff Utd

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
On the flip side any team you'd ban from playing in the ideal 20 team prem league (bit similar to when a B team in Spain can't get promoted if their main team is in the above division).

Always disliked Reading. Went to watch Walsall play a cup game two years ago there and it was as bad as I thought it would be. Ground miles out of town (took 20 minutes on a bus from the station), soulless ground where hardly any of the home fans sat behind the goal (instead were in the corner trying to bait the Walsall fans) and......Walsall lost 4-0.

They had a decent team when Coppell was manager (Sidwell, Kitson the secret footballer, Kevin Doyle etc) but since that one broke up they've added little so I'd ban them if they were likely to come up as they nearly did last season when they lost to Huddersfield.

Motorman

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Leeds
Wolves
Blackburn
Middlesborough
Tottenham
Bolton
Everton
Nottingham Forest
Newcastle
West Ham
Stoke
Southampton
Queens Park Rangers
Fulham

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
I’m in my 40’s but Ipswich Town were a brilliant club for a few years when Bobby Robson was manager.

They won the old Uefa cup in 1980/81, when it was a much bigger deal), an FA cup in 1977/78, and were league runners up, taking it to the last day, also in 1980/81.

Their first eleven was exceptional and genuinely regarded as one of the best in Europe. I cannot believe how people occasionally compare them to a Southampton , or even a Spurs, they were at a much higher level.

Their best side had:

Kevin Beattie,
Arnold Muhren,
Frans Thyssen,
John Wark,
Eric Gates,
Paul Mariner,
Terry Butcher,
Kevin o’Callaghan,
George Burley,
Mick Mills (England Capt),
Russell Osman
And a couple more I’m sure I’ve forgotten, who deserve to be remembered.

I remember they had overtaken Notts Forest by around 1981 as Liverpool’s main challengers, and the second best English side. It was a shock really when Aston Villa won the league on the last day, I think by one point over them.
Anyway, great clubs like this deserve to be remembered, moreso in this (frankly, ridiculous) era of state funded clubs.

Last edited:

Camilo

1 - Manchester United
2 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal
4 - Everton
5 - Chelsea
6 - Manchester City
7 - Newcastle United
8 - Tottenham Hotspur
9 - Leeds United
10 - Aston Villa
11 - Nottingham Forest
12 - Celtic
13 - Southampton
14 - Crystal Palace
15 - Rangers
16 - Blackburn Rovers
17 - Leicester City
18 - Birmingham
19 - West Ham United
20 - Sheffield Wednesday

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ipswich beat us home and away that year. We lost at Arsenal on the final day but they couldn't beat Boro so we won the league.

Alan Brazil on Talksport is still bitter about it. Ah well.

Denis79

I’m in my 40’s but Ipswich Town were a brilliant club for a few years when Bobby Robson was manager.

They won the old Uefa cup in 1980/81, when it was a much bigger deal), an FA cup in 1977/78, and were league runners up, taking it to the last day, also in 1980/81.

Their first eleven was exceptional and genuinely regarded as one of the best in Europe. I cannot believe how people occasionally compare them to a Southampton , or even a Spurs, they were at a much higher level.

Their best side had:

Kevin Beattie,
Arnold Muhren,
Frans Thyssen,
John Wark,
Eric Gates,
Paul Mariner,
George Burley,
Mick Mills (England Capt),
Russell Osman
And a couple more I’m sure I’ve forgotten, who deserve to be remembered.

I remember they had overtaken Notts Forest by around 1981 as Liverpool’s main challengers, and the second best English side. It was a shock really when Aston Villa won the league on the last day, I think by one point over them.
Anyway, great clubs like this deserve to be remembered, moreso in this (frankly, ridiculous) era of state funded clubs.
My father has mentioned that side several times to me, I was born in 79, around their best years so I never got to see them in their glory years.

paulscholes18

1 Arsenal
2 Aston Villa
3 Bolton
4 Chelsea
5 Everton
6 Fulham
7 Leeds
8 Liverpool
9 Manchester United
10 Manchester City
11 Middlesbrough
12 Newcastle
13 Nottingham Forest
14 QPR
15 Southampton
16 Sheffield Wednesday
17Sheffield United
18 Tottenham
19 WBA
20 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
My father has mentioned that side several times to me, I was born in 79, around their best years so I never got to see them in their glory years.

Hi Denis, yeah I was quite young myself but I definitely remember them being thought of as probably the best ‘footballing’ side, maybe even in Europe, for a year or two.

I’m a Liverpool fan, and we were no slouches in Europe (winning the European cup for the third time, the same year that Ipswich won the UEFA) but they were a better side that year.

When people say such-an-such a side ‘should really have won the league that season’, it usually seems (to me anyway) to be a bit nonsensical, because surely the best side wins it by definition.

That is one of the only seasons I can remember, where I would concede the fact, and I include 2013/14 in this because Man City were stronger overall, and better balanced, than us (Liverpool). In 1980/81 though, Ipswich were, in my opinion, a better side than Aston Villa. I think maybe the European final could have distracted them, it’s possible anyway. They came so close!

NB:- Two points for a win.

1) Aston Villains FC (FA cup stealers 1927) 60 pts,

2. Ipswich Town (The ‘Tractor Boys’ surely the official worst nickname ever?) 56 pts.

Though, Ipswich also reached the FA cup semis’, while Villa went out in their first match (3rd round) and had no Europe. Villa also went out of the League cup a round before Ipswich but Ipswich played two more games in the competition because of a replay with Norwich.

Ipswich ended up playing SEVENTEEN more competitive fixtures because of the UEFA cup win, and their other cup runs. That’s actually quite staggering, and it makes more sense now as to why they were so well thought of.

Last edited:

Denis79

Hi Denis, yeah I was quite young myself but I definitely remember them being thought of as probably the best ‘footballing’ side, maybe even in Europe , for a year or two.

I’m a Liverpool fan, and we were no slouches in Europe (winning the European cup for the third time, the same year that Ipswich won the UEFA) but they were a better side that year.

When people say such-an-such a side ‘should really have won the league that season’, it usually seems (to me anyway) to be a bit nonsensical, because surely the best side wins it by definition.

That is one of the only seasons I can remember, where I would concede the fact, and I include 2013/14 in this because Man City were stronger overall, and better balanced, than us (Liverpool). In 1980/81 though, Ipswich were, in my opinion, a better side than Aston Villa. I think maybe the European final could have distracted them, it’s possible anyway. They came so close!

NB:- Two points for a win.

1) Aston Villa 60 pts,
2. Ipswich Town (The Tractor Boys, surely the official worst nickname ever?) 56 pts.

Though, Ipswich also reached the FA cup semis’, while Villa went out in their first match (3rd round) and had no Europe. Villa also went out of the League cup a round before Ipswich but Ipswich played two more games in the competition because of a replay with Norwich.

Ipswich ended up playing SEVENTEEN more competitive fixtures because of the UEFA cup win, and their other cup runs. That’s actually quite staggering, and it makes more sense now as to why they were so well thought of.
That's very interesting and we have to remember that the squads were much smaller than today and on top of that the average footballer wasn't the well trimmed super-athlete like they mostly are now. A long season with many matches must have been really tough.

I'm not that informed about that specific side but after you mentioned them and my father repeatedly, I really have to find some good reading material about them. There is something romantic, something special about that decade in football.

TinFoil

On the flip side any team you'd ban from playing in the ideal 20 team prem league (bit similar to when a B team in Spain can't get promoted if their main team is in the above division).

Always disliked Reading. Went to watch Walsall play a cup game two years ago there and it was as bad as I thought it would be. Ground miles out of town (took 20 minutes on a bus from the station), soulless ground where hardly any of the home fans sat behind the goal (instead were in the corner trying to bait the Walsall fans) and......Walsall lost 4-0.

They had a decent team when Coppell was manager (Sidwell, Kitson the secret footballer, Kevin Doyle etc) but since that one broke up they've added little so I'd ban them if they were likely to come up as they nearly did last season when they lost to Huddersfield.
Watched an away days video on reading when they were in the play-off final against Huddersfield at wembley and there were reading 'fans' telling each other to sit down when some of the reading lads were trying to get songs and chants going. Embarassing club.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
That's very interesting and we have to remember that the squads were much smaller than today and on top of that the average footballer wasn't the well trimmed super-athlete like they mostly are now. A long season with many matches must have been really tough.

I'm not that informed about that specific side but after you mentioned them and my father repeatedly, I really have to find some good reading material about them. There is something romantic, something special about that decade in football.

You’re right mate. I just did a little bit of research (only Wikipedia) but now I want to read more on them too!

Bobby Robson must’ve been an exceptional manager, especially at quite a young age.

The other thing which truly struck me on checking those facts and figures (alongside the ‘romanticism’ you rightly identified) is, how much more seriously the domestic cups were taken in comparison to today.

Looking at the figures would suggest to me, that Ipswich were by FAR the better side. They effectively played almost another whole half a season’s worth of matches more than Villa.

Just their two extra League cup games (playing full strength sides in the three matches, two of which were extra strenuous derbies against Norwich) may well have cost them the League title.

That’s without even factoring in their run to the FA cup semi-finals, and Fourteen UEFA cup games.

Villa were a good side, they did go on to win the European Cup the following season, but I think the facts and figures support an argument for Ipswich being a superior team, who effectively, self-sabotaged the League, by over-reaching.

That said, back then I imagine there would’ve been an outcry if they’d put out a reserve team in the domestic cups, let alone The UEFA. You’re spot-on, it’s interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I'd like Ipswich back. That Robson team was fecking great when I was growing up in the 70's.
I have the same feeling towards West Ham . Liverpool conquered Europe but as a kid watching the likes of Devonshire , Brooking on MOTD is something I enjoyed. They won feck all but I do remember the 1980 Cup Final and their 1981 League Cup Final and replay against us too.

Denis79

You’re right mate. I just did a little bit of research (only Wikipedia) but now I want to read more on them too!

Bobby Robson must’ve been an exceptional manager, especially at quite a young age.

The other thing which truly struck me on checking those facts and figures (alongside the ‘romanticism’ you rightly identified) is, how much more seriously the domestic cups were taken in comparison to today.

Looking at the figures would suggest to me, that Ipswich were by FAR the better side. They effectively played almost another whole half a season’s worth of matches than Villa.

Just their two extra League cup games (playing full strength sides in the three matches, two of which were extra strenuous derbies against Norwich) may well have cost them the League title.

That’s without even factoring in their run to the FA cup semi-finals, and Fourteen UEFA cup games.

Villa were a good side, they did go on to win the European Cup the following season, but I think the facts and figures show Ipswich as a superstar team that effectively, self-sabotaged the League, by over-reaching.

That said, back then I imagine there would’ve been an outcry if they’d put out a reserve team in the domestic cups, let alone The UEFA. You’re spot-on, it’s interesting stuff.
Just ordered https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ipswich-Town-History-Susan-Gardiner/dp/1445617234

Simply had to now.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Everton
Arsenal
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
West Ham United
Middlesbrough Ironopolis
Leeds United
Aston Villa
Derby County
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest
Preston NE
Newcastle United
Sunderland
Norwich City
Ipswich Town

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
I have the same feeling towards West Ham . Liverpool conquered Europe but as a kid watching the likes of Devonshire , Brooking on MOTD is something I enjoyed. They won feck all but I do remember the 1980 Cup Final and their 1981 League Cup Final and replay against us too.

Definitely a good and entertaining side Cassady but that Ipswich side was in a different class. I remember them in ‘81, and having just checked the figures (see above) they were the best English side, it was ridiculous that they were runners up. They played SEVENTEEN more competitive matches than Villa.

Although we won the European Cup that year, alongside the League cup, we actually had a strangely poor League season. Ipswich were just brilliant that year in almost every competition. They also played some of the best, if not THE best, football in Europe, with Muhren and Thyssen in centre-mid. John Wark scored 36 goals from right midfield! :)

napadaj

1. United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Tottenham
6. Everton
7. City
8. West Ham
9. Newcastle
10. Leeds
11. Nottingham Forest
12. Fulham
13. Aston Villa
14. Birmingham
15. Southampton
16. Sunderland
17. Blackburn
18. Burnley
19. Middlesbrough
20. Leicester

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool

Had to be done. :). Think I might seek out a biography on Robson myself.
Alf Ramsey won the league at Ipswich in 1962, which I’m pretty sure is the same season that Shanks won the second Division title with us.

Just realised, the two most successful English national team managers at World Cup level, both came directly from managing Ipswich.

There’s some good history there mate, enjoy.

Denis79

Had to be done. :). Think I might seek out a biography on Robson myself.
Alf Ramsey won the league at Ipswich in 1962, which I’m pretty sure is the same season that Shanks won the second Division title with us.

Just realised, the two most successful English national team managers at World Cup level, both came directly from managing Ipswich.

There’s some good history there mate, enjoy.
I'll PM you if it's worth the read. The book description seems very interesting, I can't wait to recieve it now haha.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
I'll PM you if it's worth the read. The book description seems very interesting, I can't wait to recieve it now haha.
Thanks Denis, I’d like that. I’m actually a Historian (by profession and qualification - I actually did one of my degree’s at UOS in Ipswich, which is where that link comes from, or developed anyway ) so I love a good, non-fiction read. I’ll let you know if I can find any other decent sources on that period, football-wise.

Denis79

Thanks Denis, I’d like that. I’m actually a Historian (by profession and qualification) so I love a good, non-fiction read. I’ll let you know if I can find any other decent sources on that period.
I'm in no way an educated Historian but have a huge interest in history. Maybe that's why we both have that itch that compels us to know more about a club that we're not supporting. I would love some good tips on decent books. Thank you

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
I'm in no way an educated Historian but have a huge interest in history. Maybe that's why we both have that itch that compels us to know more about a club that we're not supporting. I would love some good tips on decent books. Thank you
Education is overrated, ha! I’m afraid I’ve used up all my posts on this subject, but a worthwhile way to do so I reckon.
Really enjoyed the discussion Denis. Thank you.

NB:- ‘The Damned United’ film, based on David Peace’s book, about Brian Clough’s 30? Day tenure at Leeds, is a really decent look at this era (a few years before, anyway). I’m sure you’ve probably seen, or read it, but well worth a look if not. It’s especially good on the rivalry between Clough and Don Revie, and also Clough’s relationship with Peter Taylor.

Last edited:

Denis79

Education is overrated, ha! I’m afraid I’ve used up all my posts on this subject, but a worthwhile way to do so I reckon.
Really enjoyed the discussion Denis. Thank you.
Considering the club you support your education had a small bump on the way but that's OK, we all have our flaws. Jokes aside, I enjoyed our conversation aswell. I'll get back to you on that book.

Shaun Lawson

Supports
Norwich City
No Norwich in any lists which is good, their owners are holding the club back. They get a manager, claim they're the next big thing and sack them a year later.
Our owners are holding us back because they have no money. They're the financially poorest owners in the Championship now. And they refuse to sell to any foreigner under any circumstances. Which leaves me feeling rather less than ecstatic.

Allowing for my personal bias, my list would be:

Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Manchester City
Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur
Everton
Newcastle United
Aston Villa
Leeds United
Sunderland
West Ham United
Sheffield Wednesday
Nottingham Forest
Leicester City
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Derby County
West Bromwich Albion
Southampton
Norwich City :)

Web of Bissaka

Current top 6: Manchester United, Liverpool, Spurs, MCity, Arsenal, Chelsea. (6)
The rest: Everton, Leicester, Newcastle, Watford, West Ham. (5)
Lower tables: Leeds, Ipswich, Bolton, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Aston Villa, Hull, Blackburn, Norwich. (9)

:smirk: Rivalries, history, reputation, trademark, distinctive home shirt colour, symbols, etc.

Villa for being our second home stadium, free 6 pts/season.

montpelier

This is the Ipswich season 80-81

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980–81_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

I went to the Utd game on March 21st 1981 - I expected what I remember as a weakened Utd to lose, Ipswich were very formidable indeed.

But the pitch was comprised entirely of mud & puddles to begin with and torrential rain continued to fall all afternoon - the game was extremely close to being a complete farce. As you can see, Utd actually won 2-1** = Ipswich 3rd loss of the season at that stage.

Of their last 10 games including that one, it looks like 3 wins & 7 defeats - a bit of a contrast to the first 32 games.

** - The Times archive match report refers to 3 of Utd's players who were playing because of injuries to others as ''amphibious replacements.'' Ipswich were unbeaten in 21 games it says.

Last edited:

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
No thanks, i like them where they are.
Agreed. They've been a nothing club playing atrocious football for the last 15 years or so whenever they've been in the Prem.
That's a good group, hard to look past that for the most part. Though maybe I'd omit Sunderland, but I don't know for who. Possibly Middlesbrough. When I think of Sunderland in the Premier League era, I only ever think of them as a team struggling, yo-yoing up and down and generally being hopeless, I can't remember them ever being a good PL side. Middlesbrough had some success, played in Europe, reached the UEFA Cup final about 12 years ago, won the League Cup a few years before that too. They've had some good players over the years.

Wolves and Leicester are maybes for me too. Leicester probably have to be in there, as they've actually won the Premier League, but I still don't associate them as a top flight club. When I think of a 'Wanderers' in the top flight, I immediately think of Bolton moreso than Wolves. They've struggled a lot but they had some good years in the PL too. That Allardyce team was great.
Agree about Sunderland. They've offered nothing whenever they've been in the prem the last decade or so.

Tony Babangida

I've always been surprised no big money has flowed into Leeds. They have a big stadium, which they would easily fill if they got promoted. Plus they're still a bigger name than most premier league teams, so you'd think they could sign some decent players. I guess they just never recovered from being run into the ground.

The Utd Leeds derby was always great, had a real edge. As a kid, I remeber going to the game at Elland Road where we won 4-0. Was sat with the Leeds fans behind the dugouts, wearing my Utd shirt under my jacket (no idea why my dad let me do that!). Was great when Cantona scored to make it 4-0 in final minute, but I couldn't celebrate, would have got my Dad's head kicked in!

Robertd0803

Replace City with Blackburn or Forest and replace Liverpool with Hereford Lads Club (its actually a team) and then it really would be the best league in the world.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Utd Leeds derby was always great, had a real edge. As a kid, I remeber going to the game at Elland Road where we won 4-0. Was sat with the Leeds fans behind the dugouts, wearing my Utd shirt under my jacket (no idea why my dad let me do that!). Was great when Cantona scored to make it 4-0 in final minute, but I couldn't celebrate, would have got my Dad's head kicked in!
Agreed. Great rivalry in the 90s. Much bigger than United v City was at that time. Leeds and Liverpool were definitely our big games in terms of real hatred, and then Arsenal came along later.

I moved to West Yorkshire when I was really young and lived there until I was 18, so I was always surrounded by Leeds fans growing up, so I always dreaded those games. Leeds fans were truly unbearable if they beat us, and pretty much any other time. Went to a couple of games at Elland Road (vs Forest and Wimbledon IIRC) as free tickets were easy to come by through my school, and the fans just spent practically the whole game singing about hating us. I got fed up of having to repeatedly stand up because "I hate Man Utd".

They're too big for the Championship though. They need an owner who isn't a shithouse to bring them back up, even though they'd be insufferable if they came back and were pushing for top 4 every season.