Other Which album/book/film disappointed you the most?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Music: Slayer - Diabolus in Musika. It should be the abomination that was Illud Divinum Insanus by Morbid Angel (or Dream Theater's The Astonishing) really, but my younger self was crestfallen when these, of all, people succumbed to the groove/nu metal storm that was taking over the metal world back then.

Book: Kazuo Ishiguro - The Buried Giant. One of your favourite authors decides to take a dive into one of your favourite genres. A match made in heaven, right? Try again. As much as i love Ishiguro, the smack he got from the great Ursula Le Guin for this book was more than justified.

Movie: The Avatar, after nearly a hundred people told me to go see it because it's the best movie ever made or whatever. A series of clichés put together, zero character depth and most things happening just because the plot needs them to happen. Even the Aliens look human enough, so you will sympathize with them from the get go and just allow yourself to be absorbed by the SFX.
I thought The Buried Giant was alright. His last one though, Klara and The Sun, I was really underwhelmed with

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Obvious movies:
Godfather 3
King Kong the 70s one
Godzilla 1998 one
Any Jaws after the first one
Many Saints of Newark
European Vacation
Prometheus

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I thought The Buried Giant was alright. His last one though, Klara and The Sun, I was really underwhelmed with
Fully agree with you on Klara and The Sun being underwhelming. And it's probably worse than TBG. But before TBG, i never thought i would struggle to finish a novel from Kazuo Ishiguro. It was a huge disappointment for me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
PJ Harvey- Hope six demolition project- not a bad album but, this is PJ we're talking about here. Her weakest album.
Jane Austen- Pride and Prejudice....just, feck that boring book.
Game of Thrones series 8- The last two episodes were a horror show of bad writing and implausibility
Alien Covenant- So disappointing what they did with certain characters
Final Fantasy 13- kill it with fire
Not a great album but that outto on the wheel is straight up Jefferson Airplane. It’s just a gorgeous piece of music. Those songs sounded a lot better live too actually.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
No mention of the Star Wars prequels yet? Truly awful, especially the second one.

For me personally it was probably Fellowship of the Ring, as it came out when I was three years deep into my Tolkien fanaticism and treated every little change to the source material as if it was the Worst Thing Ever. I've come to respect most of the changes/additions, particularly in FOTR, but there are still some that I haven't made my peace with.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
No mention of the Star Wars prequels yet? Truly awful, especially the second one.

For me personally it was probably Fellowship of the Ring, as it came out when I was three years deep into my Tolkien fanaticism and treated every little change to the source material as if it was the Worst Thing Ever. I've come to respect most of the changes/additions, particularly in FOTR, but there are still some that I haven't made my peace with.
I thought Fellowship was the perfect movie.

I love the books but maybe I didn't get into them as deep as you, but I thought the movie did an amazing job of putting the story to the screen.
The second and third movies I wasn't as big a fan of (particularly the third)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Most of the Star Wars films after the first trilogy are shit but I can’t get too hung up… I just rewatch the first three again.

I really like the Jack Reacher books so was looking forward to the films especially as Lee Child was having input into them… I assumed he’d make sure they stayed reasonably true to the books.

Then they cast 5’ 7” Tom Cruise.… as 6’ 5” Jack Reacher :nono:

Oranges038

Didnt you post exactly this in the WC draw thread earlier?
Yeah, I did, but that was right before I saw this thread, to be fair it was just a wierd coincidence that the most boring event of the year reminded of the most boring film I've ever seen. Then this thread popped up right around the same time and I thought yeah, that is just the most disappointing movie I've ever seen.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah, I did, but that was right before I saw this thread, to be fair it was just a wierd coincidence that the most boring event of the year reminded of the most boring film I've ever seen. Then this thread popped up right around the same time and I thought yeah, that is just the most disappointing movie I've ever seen.
Anything in particular? I thought it was ‘ok’. Just a “what if” the helter skelter loons went differently?

Watched the power of the dog the other night… there’s two hours I’m not getting back

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Music? Arcade Fire- Everything Now.
Film? Not to say I was expecting much, but probably the complete travesty that is the Jurassic World "franchise".
Book? I used to love the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones series. If you had told me back in 2011 after A Dance with Dragons that the next book in the series STILL wouldn't be out by 2022 I'd probably have killed myself. Now I couldn't really care less.
This was one that came to my mind as well. It was such a step down on their previous albums. And irritating on top of that.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Dragon Ball Evolution. Not only because it was terrible, but because it most likely has singlehandedly killed off any potential for future live action Dragon Ball movies due to how spectacular of a failure it was.

Oranges038

Anything in particular? I thought it was ‘ok’. Just a “what if” the helter skelter loons went differently?

Watched the power of the dog the other night… there’s two hours I’m not getting back
It was just a pile of self indulgent tripe from Tarantino.

"I can shoot a beautiful film with some great actors in it, where nothing happens and everyone will think it is great"

Basically the emperors new clothes as a film.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
After enjoying the Southern Reach trilogy I read that one of its influences was To The Lighthouse by Virginia Wolfe. I love reading some of the classics so I got stuck in and finished it only through gritted teeth. God that was hard work.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
After enjoying the Southern Reach trilogy I read that one of its influences was To The Lighthouse by Virginia Wolfe. I love reading some of the classics so I got stuck in and finished it only through gritted teeth. God that was hard work.
Waves by Virgina Woolf was a struggle to get through, as was Orlando. Shame cos I loved Mrs Dalloway. Not read The Lighthouse.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Waves by Virgina Woolf was a struggle to get through, as was Orlando. Shame cos I loved Mrs Dalloway. Not read The Lighthouse.
Top marks for correcting my spelling in a discreet fashion, should have googled that beforehand :)

TTLH is my only taste of Virginia Woolf so far, not felt an urge to try another. May look at Mrs Dalloway, just had a quick squizz at some write ups. Could do with getting into a book at present, got a bit of screen fatigue.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Of all the terrible films Kubric made The Shining disappointed me the most because the book was great horror. The film was just someone hamming it up in a film that totally missed the point of the book. Dire.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Book: Kazuo Ishiguro - The Buried Giant. One of your favourite authors decides to take a dive into one of your favourite genres. A match made in heaven, right? Try again. As much as i love Ishiguro, the smack he got from the great Ursula Le Guin for this book was more than justified.
Neither of these particularly disappointed me as having read A Pale View of Hills, When We Were Orphans and The Unconsoled I was already used to the idea that some of his novels would be more niche, unpolished or an acquired taste than others. I don't think either are outright bad either, so I just thought of them as other lesser but interesting Ishiguro works.

Stringer

The Counselor was a huge disappointment for me given Cormac McCarthy'involvement along with Ridley Scott and a stacked cast. I really expected a masterpiece but instead witnessed Cameron Diaz humping a car windscreen.

Also, I would add the second and third books in the Southern Reach trilogy especially the second. Annihilation was great but those two didn't come close to my expectations. Totally lost the eerie and unsettling atmosphere that permeated the first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Matrix 3
Game of Thrones last 3-4 seasons
Jurassic Park 2 /lost world / Terminator 3(I don't know if I was genuinely disappointed as a kid but I should have been !)

There just be so many in gaming but not quite coming to mind.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The Hobbit was an enormous let down for me because I was a huge fan of the LOTR Trilogy and The Hobbit book.

Martin Freeman was great as Bilbo but I've blocked out most of the rest.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Top marks for correcting my spelling in a discreet fashion, should have googled that beforehand :)

TTLH is my only taste of Virginia Woolf so far, not felt an urge to try another. May look at Mrs Dalloway, just had a quick squizz at some write ups. Could do with getting into a book at present, got a bit of screen fatigue.
:lol:I managed to spell her first name wrong though.
Mrs Dalloway has a structure and plot and is a lot more accessible than those other novels, albeit still has a bit of unconventional flare. It's really short too.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
PROMETHEUS!!
YES.
Arcade Fire- Everything Now.
Definitely.
Dragon Ball Evolution.
PTSD going wild in this thread.
I thought Fellowship was the perfect movie.

I love the books but maybe I didn't get into them as deep as you, but I thought the movie did an amazing job of putting the story to the screen.
The second and third movies I wasn't as big a fan of (particularly the third)
I genuinely love it now, but, like you, the second and third not so much.

GoT and Lost finales can also get in the bin.