Which current side is the most 'aesthetically pleasing' football team?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fluent attacking football isn’t necessarily what I find most pleasing - just saying.

Fluid attacking football can be downright dull too. So, aesthetically pleasing is a relative term. I have always enjoyed watching so-called “negative” sides as much I’ve enjoyed watching champagne football - the key is whether what’s on display is masterfully done or not. My ideal match isn’t two pretty teams playing pretty football - much rather see a clash of styles. The latter is what I find most aesthetically pleasing, if you will.

As for current teams, I’ve no idea. Depends on how good they are on the day. I don’t have any team I particularly enjoy watching for the style alone - to be honest I don’t think we’re in a period right now where truly masterful football is on display. Waiting for the next truly grand team to emerge, to put it like that.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I don't know if your friend was an Benfica fan, Dortmund should have won that match easily, the only great performance by Benfica was their keeper, Ederson, but I would not be surprised if they score an goal in Dortmund and qualify to the next round, Fejsa will be the key to them, he is the most tactically inteligent player on their team.

I was referring to over the season. I heard Dortmund dominated them.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fluent attacking football isn’t necessarily what I find most pleasing - just saying.

Fluid attacking football can be downright dull too. So, aesthetically pleasing is a relative term. I have always enjoyed watching so-called “negative” sides as much I’ve enjoyed watching champagne football - the key is whether what’s on display is masterfully done or not. My ideal match isn’t two pretty teams playing pretty football - much rather see a clash of styles. The latter is what I find most aesthetically pleasing, if you will.

As for current teams, I’ve no idea. Depends on how good they are on the day. I don’t have any team I particularly enjoy watching for the style alone - to be honest I don’t think we’re in a period right now where truly masterful football is on display. Waiting for the next truly grand team to emerge, to put it like that.
Get what you're saying. Inter's game v Barca was one of the most 'aesthetically pleasing' matches I have seen, love a well-drilled defence and cohesive masterplan.

That said, to be an overall aesthetically pleasing side - i.e. consistently good to watch, it tends to favour fluid/pacey attacking teams but not necessarily possession type side i.e. United in 2006/07 were a very aesthetically pleasing side to watch. Has there been a defensive side which you regularly enjoyed watching week in week out?

Also agree there is a gaping hole right now, there is no de facto best side in Europe right now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I was referring to over the season. I heard Dortmund dominated them.
Hmm, last season I think they were better, particularly in the 2 matches against Bayern, but yes they play in a 4/4/2 wich is an hard system when you play against the top teams in the Champions League.

I like more the way Jorge Jesus implements the 4/4/2, but I have to say Rui Vitória is more balanced that is why he gets better results in Europe, but I did not liked their 2 matches against Napoli and Dortmund, no surprise for me, he played against the best coach in Serie A and the best in the Bundesliga.

RooneyLegend

Still Barca. They put teams to the sword in a way that makes you really feel sorry for the opposition. Can't remember what match it was, but earlier this season there was a match(where Messi beat about half a team in half a yard of space) where everyone one of there players came to the party in the second half, some of the best football that's ever been produced imo.

RedCurry

Barcelona for me. So many dribblers in that team. And they can all pass and shoot. Still a world class team although they are getting older.

Clas Sified

I really enjoy watching Spurs play. They seem to have the right mix of the sort of football I like; hard tackling, high pressing, slick passing, bombing runs from the full backs, the list ges on.

drdoityourself

When I watch a football match I also need the atmosphere on the ground to play a part. Monaco have been pleasing on the eye but it's hard for me to watch a whole game from Stade Louis. Dortmund at home are always something that excites me. The team is full of pace and technique, and the ground of 80.000 people makes it the best watch for me.

unitedforeveral

It goes like this,

FCB (Barcelona)
RMA
FCB (Bayern)
Atleti
Dortmund
Sevilla
Chelsea
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Manchester United (pacing up this table)

LouisDanGaal

You must be kidding!
I find them efficient. It isn't flowing football. Obviously having that many great players makes them a better watch than the majority of teams but there is much more of a focus on functionality than nice football. I like watching them, they aren't boring but from what I've seen of Bayern this season, last night was an exception, nobody usually just lets them play like that and they took advantage.

unitedforeveral

I find them efficient. It isn't flowing football. Obviously having that many great players makes them a better watch than the majority of teams but there is much more of a focus on functionality than nice football. I like watching them, they aren't boring but from what I've seen of Bayern this season, last night was an exception, nobody usually just lets them play like that and they took advantage.
yeah but i'm not just talking about this season, today or yesterday. This is how i have felt for years although United will go further up if it were 4 years ago..

LouisDanGaal

yeah but i'm not just talking about this season, today or yesterday. This is how i have felt for years although United will go further up if it were 4 years ago..
Well if you're talking Bayern before this season then definitely they're up there. Madrid play in patches but I miss some of the old madrids who were like the harlem globetrotters, this current bunch isn't as fun.

JeffBoomTetris

I don't agree with this, I watched plenty of their league games and loved watching them play. They played direct football with power, pace, physicality, aggression and finesse. That was back when Mandzukic could play, and Martinez bossed the midfield.
Quite a few games, they did play with power, pace and physicality. But a lot of the Bundesliga games were won by their dominating set piece play which was missing under van Gaal before and Pep after. So that adds to that. And they had games where Robben and Ribery were the difference makers even if they played poorly.

I agree! I think it comes from the general feeling back then that people were sick of Barcelona and their brand of football. Bayern's win and more importantly, the manner of it, represented changing of the order and people wanted to believe the idea that you can be just as dominant, aesthetically pleasing and successful without playing the Barcelona way. I am not saying you can't but I think plenty of people saw more in that Bayern team than what was there.
Thank you. You summed it up for me nicely.

Barcelona were taking it to ridiculous levels with their brand of football. So it got dogmatic after 2009. Even in my football aficionado community, there were people who were going, "Oh! That's how you play!", "This is the best way to play football", or "Other styles suck". Needless to say, the last one gets me angry still. They took it to religious extremes.

So, Bayern beating them in that manner was great to watch for haters of tiki-taka. But, it really glossed over a lot of points. People still think Bayern 2013 is the level and style we should implement. But, they need to watch their domestic league season. It was enjoyable but only as a hard fought marathon. We could win a treble that way. But, it is pragmatic. Just watch the Chelsea league victories this millenium. It is not sustainable. You need to adjust and evolve. You need like for like replacements every few seasons etc..

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
When Mane plays, as painful as it is, Liverpool are very good to watch going forward. He seems to make everyone around him so much better too.

Napoli - very good shout

Quite like watching Roma. Salah is brilliant for them in particular.

The usual suspects this season just haven't been that good to watch.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Bayern were boring as well in Heynckes' season in their domestic league. Ask a Bayern fan who has watched most of their games and they will tell you that. It is their victory versus Barcelona and then subsequent treble win that inflated their reputation.
If you don't like them that's fair enough but I have yet to meet a single Bayern fan who doesn't think they played great and highly entertaining football that season and I live in Munich. Most of my friends and acquaintances who care about football are Bayern fans and watch them every week. They all loved that team. When I watched games at bars that season (which I did quite often back then) the people were ecstatic. Personally I think the football they played was very nice on the eye though I think they got a lot better in the 2nd half of the season.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
without doubt... Arsenal.
The enjoyment I get from watching them play Bayern and Chelsea is beyond words

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Agree about Madrid. I used to love watching them play but they seem more machine like under Zidane.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
We seem to have at least one really sexy move a game but it rarely has a finish on it so it's quickly forgotten. Matas goal vs Watford was lovely though.

Agree on Liverpool, they've played some nice stuff earlier on but I certainly haven't enjoyed watching it.

SirMattBugsby

In the EPL, I would say Liverpool when they are on it, are the most free-flowing..City aren't too bad, I think we can be pretty exciting if we could bloody finish - but not sure what the neutral makes of us, but I don't really enjoy watching Arsenal, Chelsea are methodical but not enterprising, Spurs bore the bejesus out of me (lack exciting wide players).

Germany, I don't really get a thrill from watching Bayern but Dortmund are a really good watch especially Demeble. Italy wise, I can't really watch any of the sides and my interest in Juventus has taken a nose dive since that majestic midfield is no longer existent. Back to France, Monaco are a good watch now, probably helps that we are looking at some of their players but I like the way they play.

Your thoughts?
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Milan yet. Loved watching Bonaventura and Suso!

Southampton are a treat as well. Despite constantly changing managers, their players are always in sync and play with eye-catching coordination.

For different reasons, I've enjoyed Leipzig and Hoffenheim too. The former are the team to watch if you want counter-attacking football, while Hoffenheim use the 3-5-2 formation pretty well. (Not so) Sadly, both have gone off the boil after the winter break.

SirMattBugsby

I really enjoy watching Spurs play. They seem to have the right mix of the sort of football I like; hard tackling, high pressing, slick passing, bombing runs from the full backs, the list ges on.
You should watch Sevilla and Bayer Leverkusen. The intensity of pressing will make you jizz :yawn:

Stocar

Quite a few games, they did play with power, pace and physicality. But a lot of the Bundesliga games were won by their dominating set piece play which was missing under van Gaal before and Pep after. So that adds to that. And they had games where Robben and Ribery were the difference makers even if they played poorly.
Exactly. And they weren't so physically dominant and efficient because of some master tactics that defeated outdated tiki-taka, as folk wisdom says. They were a team of top players at the peak of their careers, with huge motive to win, after losing consecutive titles to Dortmund, and CL final year before. They were out to mow down everything in their way that season. They played some great football, as most teams with top players do. But they were more like a machine, and there wasn't anything particularly beautiful or exuberant in their game.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
he played against the best coach in Serie A and the best in the Bundesliga.
I am not convinced by Sarri yet. The best coach in Italy is in my opinion Max Allegri (although i don't like his style) because he is the most flexible tactically there. Not convinced by Tuchel at all - he can't make his team defend for their lives..I am hugely impressed by the young Julian Nagelsmann. He will definitely be the next top german coach.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I like how play some teams in Bundesliga specially Dortmund and Leverkusen. Then from England I'd say Liverpool when they're on their day and maybe Chelsea. From Spain aside from Real Madrid I like Sevilla and Real Sociedad games.

Fracture90

Could be Real Madrid due to the variety of styles they can pull out and play. They have players for every style and tactics. They score from crosses, counter attacks, slow build-ups, individual effort, they're probably the most versatile.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't think Barcelona are aesthetically pleasing as a team nowadays. Their best football under MSN definitely came in the 2nd half of 2014-2015. Their performances then in the CL were superb. I loved watching them under Pep though. Pinnacle of club football IMO.

Seeing lots of people mention Napoli and I've not watched them once this season(except for bits here and there vs Real Madrid). Any good games recently that showcase their aesthetically pleasing football people mention?

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
Get Carzola back and Arsenal will be right up there with teams having the most beautiful display of the game

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am not convinced by Sarri yet. The best coach in Italy is in my opinion Max Allegri (although i don't like his style) because he is the most flexible tactically there. Not convinced by Tuchel at all - he can't make his team defend for their lives..I am hugely impressed by the young Julian Nagelsmann. He will definitely be the next top german coach.
Just compare Sarri squad with Allegri and lets wait for the next match between Napoli and Real Madrid to make that judgement.

Regarding Tuchel if one only looks to the results ok this season is worse than the last one, but he lost 3 top players, Gundogan, Hummels and Mikhy, if you watch their last Champions League match at Benfica they could have won that match by 5:1.

Maybe his biggest mistake was to hire Goetze and Schurlle, who are an disapointment for the investment made on them, and Bartra was not an proper replacement for Hummels, their only good signing for this season was Dembelé who is 19.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Haven't watched more than 15mins of a spurs game since Poch took over. I just find them unexpectedly boring.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Napoli's been by far the best team I've regularly watched this season. They've been great since Mertens moved into the striker role. Sarri's a very good coach.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
In the prem it has to be us on our day.

What about most boring team?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Napoli's been by far the best team I've regularly watched this season. They've been great since Mertens moved into the striker role. Sarri's a very good coach.
Yep same here. Even against Madrid they played some beautiful 1 touch counter attacking football, they just let themselves down around the box.

That Diawara lad seems like an absolute gem BTW.

johanovic

Sevilla do really play a great style of football
Monaco
Dortmund Youth,high press
Spurs
Napoli
I hate to say it but Liverpool´s high pressing and intensity is impressive at times.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yep same here. Even against Madrid they played some beautiful 1 touch counter attacking football, they just let themselves down around the box.

That Diawara lad seems like an absolute gem BTW.
Yup, he's going to be a great midfielder.

Also, Koulibaly is a beast. Potential partner for Bailly?...