Which is the greatest UCL comeback? Man Utd's 1999 final or Barca's 6-1?

Deleted member 101472

I really am surprised to see such love for the Liverpool comeback on here.

I still cannot understand how dudek saved that shot from shevchenko, it doesn't make sense.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I haven't watched the Liverpool comeback but I can assure you all that it was incredibly crap.

Robertd0803

United because it was us and it won the Champions League and the treble and nobody dived.

Barcelona the other night was incredible but its the second leg and they did have a while to prepare. Plus quite a few of the goals are questionable at least.

Istanbul never happened so sod that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
United's, as it was the final couple of minutes of a Champions league final.

I'd put the Liverpool come back higher than the Barcelona one too.

That isn't taking anything away from Barcelona, as it was absolutely incredible. I just think a CL winning comeback in the pressure cooker environment and atmosphere of a final is more impressive.

MoskvaRed

United because it was a neutral venue, the final, resulted in the first (and to date only) treble by an English club, was achieved without help from the ref and was against a European giant (and a German one with all the mentality cliches that implies) rather than a group of flaky mercenaries playing for a plastic club with no elite pedigree.

Barcelona's performance was incredible but, at the end of the day, they are just through to the QFs (like every other year since 200?).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
United because it was us and it won the Champions League and the treble and nobody dived.

Barcelona the other night was incredible but its the second leg and they did have a while to prepare. Plus quite a few of the goals are questionable at least.

Istanbul never happened so sod that.
And at home. I had Barcelona as the bigger comeback initially, but thinking about it, it's at home too. Playing away is usually the difficult one in the Champions League. And it's only the last 16.

For that reason, the greatest comeback is Liverpool in Istanbul

RoyH1

Liverpool in Istanbul. They had no business beating that Milan team. None whatsoever.

United and Bayern were equals and Barsa is arguably a level above PSG,

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Can we close this thread and stop the scousers love in please. Remember our roots we are a united forum.

MoskvaRed

And at home. I had Barcelona as the bigger comeback initially, but thinking about it, it's at home too. Playing away is usually the difficult one in the Champions League. And it's only the last 16.

For that reason, the greatest comeback is Liverpool in Istanbul
Istanbul did not quite have the same "game turned on its head in the final couple of minutes" impact as the other two. Although, given Liverpool then continued to get battered after their 15 minute spell and still won, Istanbul is perhaps the most improbable.

Deleted member 101472

Can we close this thread and stop the scousers love in please. Remember our roots we are a united forum.
There shouldn't be any as the Barca comeback is so clearly the best.

Liverpool 3 unanswered goals

United 2 unanswered

Barcelona 3 goals up with half an hour left and get the major blow of conceding the away goal. That's such a huge mental blow. Liverpool had nothing to lose and went for it, and got it. Barca had nothing to lose, went for it, looked good and then with cavanis goal it looked to have proved fruitless. To then go on and do what they did in the last 7 minutes is remarkable given all that head fecking.

Treble_Winning

There's no doubt that the 1999 final was the greatest comeback ever in CL history, because it was a final, and because of the ridiculously dramatic manner of it.
It will forever be enshrined in history.

Barcelona's comeback would be a close second. What Liverpool did in 2005 would probably come third. Though it was a final, they did not score all their decisive goals within a few minutes.

AndyJ1985

99 because it was the final, and we didn't rely on any favours from the ref to make the comeback.

Inter Yer Nan

To be honest not impressed by yesterday win where everything went right for barca and everything went wrong for psg

1/ 1 own goal
2/ 2 50/50 penalties allowed for barca
3/2 50\50 penalties denied for psg
4/1 bounced ball scrored
5/1 silly freekick
6/possible offside last goal.

It was the most terror show of defending from psg including goalkeeper.They could and should play with 4 5 1 formation or so and defend in numbers and counterattack.inexplicable.
That's my thought. I don't even contemplate this one up there with other great comebacks.

Devil81

We scored two in 2 minutes, Liverpool scored 3 in 45 minutes.

Barca scored 3 in 7 minutes!

United's had far more pressure!

We won the Champions league in two minutes, Liverpool had 45 minutes to get a draw.

walkinhop

Why do we need A BEST? You are seriously frail mental people. Great matches and turnaround, enjoy, stop comparing the uncomparable.