Which is the greatest UCL comeback? Man Utd's 1999 final or Barca's 6-1?

lysglimt

Scout
My favourite comeback (if we look all competitions) was Tranmere - Southampton 4-3 in 2001.

Soton was 3-0 up at halftime but Tranmere turned it around in the second half and won 4-3. As Tranmere were by far the worst side in the Championship at the time, made it even more impressive.

Another funny story from that match....Dean Richards scored Sotons 3 goal...he was some months later signed by Tottenham and scored the first goal in the 3-5 defeat against us. So Mr Richards was involved in arguably the 2 worst collapses in modern english football.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
My favourite comeback (if we look all competitions) was Tranmere - Southampton 4-3 in 2001.

Soton was 3-0 up at halftime but Tranmere turned it around in the second half and won 4-3. As Tranmere were by far the worst side in the Championship at the time, made it even more impressive.

Another funny story from that match....Dean Richards scored Sotons 3 goal...he was some months later signed by Tottenham and scored the first goal in the 3-5 defeat against us. So Mr Richards was involved in arguably the 2 worst collapses in modern english football.
3 collapses actually! See my post earlier - he was also in the Spurs side that lost 4-3 at home to City after being 3-0 up

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Istanbul all day. What happened in that dressing room at halftime... ill never know.

Barcelona's comeback was good. But it was two games and it wasn't a final. They got battered 4-0 then had a chance to dust themselves off, react in a few La Liga games, get mad after seeing the headlines all before having another full 90mins to change the tie.

Just not the same.

What makes theirs a miraculous comeback was the timing, in the 87th minute was it? Just after Neymar scored, they still needed 2 goals. That's why it was incredible. Look at Luis Enrique after Neymar scored, he didn't celebrate because he thought it was over still

Deleted member 101472

I think Barcelona's massively outweighs both in terms of the feat.

3-0 is a dangerous lead, once Liverpool got one it was obviously upsetting on the nerves and when the second went in the 3rd was inevitable.

Same with Utd, an equalizer so late in the game was always going to deflate Bayern, I mean how do you control your emotions when you are 1-0 up in injury time in the biggest game in your life, and then you concede.

Had Barcelona won 5-0 last night it wouldn't have been as impressive, but the psychological willpower to score 3 and have the euphoria of " one more and we are at least getting extra time", then concede an away goal, but STILL go on and get the result is incredible. both United and Liverpool basically had nothing to lose by going for it and saw their goals unanswered, whereas Barcelona had to overcome significantly more mental draining during the game.

unitedforeveral

Barcelona played one of the best games i have seen. It was just marvellous how they controlled the pace of the game and crafted some fantastic passes together. Playing in an unorthodox formation and exchanging positions was inspiring to watch. I love one thing for a fact, our junior team players took to twitter and shared their feeling. It was an outright brilliant performance from Barcelona. I wish we took a few pointers from that, not that i'm demeaning our game play but there is nothing wrong in learning from wherever we can.

I wish Barcelona go all the way :)

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I was only 8 when '99 happened and I still remember it vividly, and get goosebumps.

Nothing will top it for me. Plus it was the final CL game of a Treble winning season. Simply iconic.

Unmutual

Barcelona's comeback was good. But it was two games and it wasn't a final. They got battered 4-0 then had a chance to dust themselves off, react in a few La Liga games, get mad after seeing the headlines all before having another full 90mins to change the tie.

Just not the same.
You're forgetting how the game unfolded. When PSG scored that away goal, Barca were left needing to score 3 goals in less time than Liverpool had in their final, and without even half time to clear their heads. It was like two comebacks - coming back from the 4-0 defeat and coming back from the away goal that left them needing 3 goals in half an hour.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Both Istanbul and yesterday were only comebacks because of dodgy penalty decisions...

If you want to disregard those facts then yesterday is the biggest. History says so as no one had come back from that deficit before.

Inter Yer Nan

I'd put the 99 and Liverpool's as the two best as they were both miraculous and finals. Ours gets the edge since scousers penalty was a dodgy decision. Then I'd say Deportivo's. It's hard to give Barca's total credit since they got an unbelievable amount of help from the officials. It was farcical and that definitely taints it IMO. Still magic what they did but there's a * next to it as far as I am concerned.

red forever

It has to be the Barca one they had to score 3 goals in 7 minutes or they were out. Liverpool had a whole half to score 3 and they don't win it in normal time. United was hugely dramatic but once we got one goal we were back level whereas Barca had to score 3 or it was al over.

Strachans Cigar

You're all wrong obviously.

The correct answer is LFC rescuing a 2-2 draw from the jaws of defeat at Anfield against the mighty WBA in 2015.

Fecking too right Klopp made them all hold hands in not a gay way whatsoever and go and applaud the Kop afterwards - amazing stuff :cool:

ghagua

Barcelona's comeback was epic. PSG choking or whatever you want to call it, I don't see too many team coming back from 4-0 down

Inter Yer Nan

You're all wrong obviously.

The correct answer is LFC rescuing a 2-2 draw from the jaws of defeat at Anfield against the mighty WBA in 2015.

Fecking too right Klopp made them all hold hands in not a gay way whatsoever and go and applaud the Kop afterwards - amazing stuff :cool:
I can't wait for the DVD to come out for that one.

Zlatattack

Each of them were uniquely special.

For me personally 1999 will always mean the most because of how intense it was. It was just a few minutes of sheer glory.

Istanbul was incredible because the AC Milan Team of the time were so formidable, whereas Liverpool weren't as good on paper.

Last night was something else though. so many goals, i'm so sad i missed it. The highlights don't do the match justice.

Also just to throw another one into the mix there. 1999 3-2 against Juventus. That Juve side were incredible, they were 3-1 up on aggregate, had put two early goals past Man Utd and had the likes of Zidane, del Piero, Inzaghi. The way we put 3 past them at that stage in particular the drive of Roy Keane was incredible. I think the only better individual performance i've seen since was Zidane Vs Brazil in 2006.

Oneunited26

So still United 99
Liverpool 05
Barca 17

Between the the obviously
Possibly because of how insane that season was, don't think anyone can overlook how insane of an achievement that united team did, so yeah I would put the 99 over the rest

Oneunited26

I think the season kicks it over the top though
Yeah physically and not to mention the squad was not a deep squad how we won the treble when u look at the midfield options in staying injury free, any injury to some of our key players was asking for trouble. We look at the competition, juve, barca, inter, bayern, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, was some pretty annoying teams to get past. Not to mention every game probably from january to may was almost a must win game, so physically a demanding season

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Meh, was pure fluke

They got battered for the entire match but spawned three goals in 6 minutes including the all important one via a textbook Stevie starfish dive. As soon as they scored the third they went back to getting battered in the rest of normal/extra time and should have been beaten by several goals even after they pulled it back to 3-3.

The most spawny result in football and one of the most undeserved victories and yet listening to their mutant fanbase you'd think they had played like gods.
:lol:

Fabulous post!

Gasolin

It has to be the finals. Other games are just... Remember that one game.

I think United wins over Liverpool because the goals were scored when not only the game but the first ever real treble was lost.

And I'm not diminishing Liverpool. At 3-0 diem I called my dad who's a Liverpool fan and when he answered the phone I just laughed and hung up.
After you won my cell rang, and rang and rang. Finally I picked up to hear Hahahahaha
I also remember watching that Liverpool final with my father and at half time, we just said that the game was over. And then, the second half happened. Despite the fact that it was Liverpool, it was good to see a team trying to salvage the game and make it happen. Very good football game.

Eire Red United

Us.
Number one it was a final.
Number two it was to seal a treble.
Number three we didn't get 2 penalties for diving, nor did the player who scored two goals avoid a red card for blatant kicking an opponent.

Eire Red United

I still disagree. United vs Bayern were two teams at the top of their A game. (going by who we'd beat). It was a toe to toe match and one had won. Then the other team scores two in two minutes. Wins the final.

Of put Liverpool vs Milan in that Match in 05 is more like today.
both at half time were done . Then great come backs.
Today PSG didn't even show up. Barca are so good though you can see why every team is terrified to go to the Nou Camp

Is that sarcasm? I thought they were shite last night. I'll admit I didn't see the first goal but from what I saw, the others were a result of dives, individual errors and brilliance from Neymar who shouldn't have been on the pitch.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Unfortunately I have to go with Liverpool > Barca > United, although that's not a putdown to any of them, all very very special.

Eire Red United

99, Liverpool, Deportivo and Monaco vs Real Madrid were all better in your opinion. I'd put Morientes top simply because it was the best script.

Suarez falling over is the football drama equivalent of Peggy Mitchell shouting in the Vic.

Love it :lol:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I've never seen anything quite like last night. Barca couldn't even draw the match to take it to extra time they needed 3 goals to advance or else they were out

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Us.
Number one it was a final.
Number two it was to seal a treble.
Number three we didn't get 2 penalties for diving, nor did the player who scored two goals avoid a red card for blatant kicking an opponent.

The two penalties were actual penalties though. The only thing is Di Maria should have had one too.

Treating the matches as just "comebacks" then Barca wins, but taking into account the fact the other 2 were finals its.

United
Barca
Liverpool

The only reason Liverpool are third is it went to ET.

As "comebacks" its.

Barca
United
Liverpool

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Meh, was pure fluke

They got battered for the entire match but spawned three goals in 6 minutes including the all important one via a textbook Stevie starfish dive. As soon as they scored the third they went back to getting battered in the rest of normal/extra time and should have been beaten by several goals even after they pulled it back to 3-3.

The most spawny result in football and one of the most undeserved victories and yet listening to their mutant fanbase you'd think they had played like gods.
Erm.. yeah.. sure !

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Meh, was pure fluke

I always remember this moment from that final:

117th minute of extra time. To this day I don't know how Shevchenko didn't score there. When that kind of thing happens you know your name is on the trophy.

Better version of it here at 2:25.

:wenger:

Great comeback but Milan totally bottled it. Now let's never speak of that game again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was in a last 16 match and so not really very important. I doubt it will be truly remembered in years time because the game itself has little significance.

meninred

To be honest not impressed by yesterday win where everything went right for barca and everything went wrong for psg

1/ 1 own goal
2/ 2 50/50 penalties allowed for barca
3/2 50\50 penalties denied for psg
4/1 bounced ball scrored
5/1 silly freekick
6/possible offside last goal.

It was the most terror show of defending from psg including goalkeeper.They could and should play with 4 5 1 formation or so and defend in numbers and counterattack.inexplicable.

Dante

Average bang
A thread full of reminisences about Liverpool.

It's just... I can't even... I don't know... I think I'm gonna...

I try to think about that night as little as humanly possible.