Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
In my opinion we missed out on the player we need to the most to partner Pogba and Matic and that was Tolisso at Lyon who has gone to Munich.

I have a feeling that Tolisso will fill that role for France at the World Cup this summer. I was gutted when Munich got him for a cheap rate. Always a risk signing players out of the French league but the kid is like a young Vidal IMO
If United throws enough money at Bayern he might be available. Yes, they just bought him, but that was Ancelotti‘s decision. Bayern has Goretzka, and Vidal should have another two seasons in him.

Footyislife

I think the headline if this thread should be changed to which manager should we get that would build a team around our world class player.

Doesnt matter who we buy if he keeps playing Lingard through the middle instead of freeing Pogba. As good of a form Lingard is on, a smart manager would kick him to the bench in a heartbeat to accommodate Pogba in his best role.

Silly how people over value Lingard cause he scores a few goals. He's a good squad player, who you play for 60 mins against the big sides away for his energy, but overall his execution of keys passes & shots is incredibly poor for the amount of opportunities he gets at a top team. Just watch the games and start counting.

It would be one thing to play Pogba deeper if you had someone like Ozil, Isco, Thiago pulling the strings. Another when it's Lingard...

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Pogba for me is a pure B2B midfielder with little responsibilities if you want him to shine. Matic is a hybrid between a deep lying playmaker and a ball winner (Whether through tackling or cutting out passes), Herrera this season has been poor on form and his positioning is lacking but if we persist with Pogba & Matic as 2 of the 3 I think we need someone who can hold position yet has energy to press and close down, my ideal choice would be a Kante, if someone of the quality of Kroos is available it's a no brainer but for balance I would like someone like Kante/ Casemiro ... can't think of anyone attainable who fit's that mould but to be fair we didn't know Matic was available last summer

Boycott

The way a lot of you are going on about freedom bemuses me. He's young enough to learn the other side of the game. Technically he has it all but the off the ball stuff and concentration can and must improve. He should be held to the same basic standards as everyone else.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
This is my first time watching SMS live for Lazio, I must say he plays in an even more advanced left hand side role than Pogba does, is this his normal position or a one off today?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm in the Kroos / Pjanic camp. That's the type of player we lose with Carrick's retirement and it's only fitting that it should be his replacement. Kroos has been a dream signing of mine since 2010. I realize he's not the most attainable target, however, and the next closest thing out there is Pjanic. I'm in love with his game, although I have my doubts whether he can replicate it in England.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I'm in the Kroos / Pjanic camp. That's the type of player we lose with Carrick's retirement and it's only fitting that it should be his replacement. Kroos has been a dream signing of mine since 2010. I realize he's not the most attainable target, however, and the next closest thing out there is Pjanic. I'm in love with his game, although I have my doubts whether he can replicate it in England.
Not sure Mourinho would sacrifice balance to have two proper playmakers in the midfield.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not sure Mourinho would sacrifice balance to have two proper playmakers in the midfield.
I meant buy one of them, not both. Or are you counting Pogba as a playmaker?

Congrats (?) on 10k.

Dembeza

Mousa Dembele (Spurs).

He is a complete CM, he can defend and attack. What I really appreciate about him is how easily he gets out of tight spots and keeps the ball and that allows his teammates to move further up the the field and relieves the defence from pressure.

He isn't afraid to take one for the team, every game I've watched he always commits a foul that disrupts the other teams counters, he is exactly the kind of plater we need.

There was a stat today during HT that he had a pass accuracy of 100%, that vs Arsenal. He also bossed our Middle fielders when we played Spurs. He can hold his own against the best.

He could be perfect in our team, the only problem is that he will play as the LCM, other than that he would be the perfect addition to our are CM area.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have sold Lucas Moura to Liverpool.

Now, I'm open to sell Ben Arfa, Krychowiak, Nkunku, Guedes, Pastore and Draxler next summer.

Let's discuss by the end of the season.

Plenty of time to clinch a deal

Fergie 7ime

I’ve been pulling my hair out for 7 years that we never went for Moussa Dembele. I followed him from his time in Holland and always thought he was someting else. At the time we had our midfield fiasco under Sir Alex with Scholesy coming out of retirement and he was playing for Fulham for god sake.

Everyone is talking about Kane after the derby today, but there was only one man of the match and it was Dembélé. And it wasn’t even close.

crazylegz

if chelsea implode and end out of the champions league positions by the end of the season, why not try an audacious bid for kante, especially considering how bizarre chelsea's decision making with transfers in and out of the club have been of late.

United Pro

if chelsea implode and end out of the champions league positions by the end of the season, why not try an audacious bid for kante, especially considering how bizarre chelsea's decision making with transfers in and out of the club have been of late.
They pretty much exclusively sell the players they want to sell. E.g. with Matic, they thought it was smart business to sell a 29 year old midfielder for £40m and with Costa, he wanted to move for a solid year before he did and was causing problems in the dressing room. Unless Kante does something seriously wrong there, there's no chance they'd sell him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Dembele. Absolute class act.
When United signed Pogba I was told on here that he'd walk into the Spurs midfield and was laughed at for saying he'd have his work cut out to displace Dembele.

Dembele plays happily in a CM duo, but Pogba apparently can't. Or if Pogba is said to be more of an AM - and thus a comparison with Dembele is unfair - do people really think Spurs would want to replace Eriksen with Pogba? No chance.

Pogba is the classic flatters-to-deceive player: looked good in a talented Juve team who dominated in an inferior league, but is really pretty hopeless outside of that comfort zone.

TrebleFan99

When United signed Pogba I was told on here that he'd walk into the Spurs midfield and was laughed at for saying he'd have his work cut out to displace Dembele.

Dembele plays happily in a CM duo, but Pogba apparently can't. Or if Pogba is said to be more of an AM - and thus a comparison with Dembele is unfair - do people really think Spurs would want to replace Eriksen with Pogba? No chance.

Pogba is the classic flatters-to-deceive player: looked good in a talented Juve team who dominated in an inferior league, but is really pretty hopeless outside of that comfort zone.
Do you think Pogba would not get in the Spurs team then?

You seem to rate Poch higher than Mou as well. I guess we’re ahead in the table by pure luck.

More luck please.

SwSw

Don't see the need to have such discussion when Mourinho is sticking to a pivot.

Matic is playing when fit. So that's leave one slot beside him.

Red_toad

Pogba was given loads of freedom against the toon and simply went missing. Piss poor performance. But let's all blame the defenders as our star midfielder can't track a player, nor be arsed to run. Lad needs to learn the very basics of them game, he's regressed this season.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Depends on what you mean by freedom.

Admittedly I don’t watch much footy outside of United stuff, so can someone be kind enough to give an example of another midfielder who is accommodated to a similar extent and performs in the mould you envisage.

Last edited:

GeorgeFord

You seem to rate Poch higher than Mou as well. I guess we’re ahead in the table by pure luck.

More luck please.
It’s not outlandish to argue that Pogba wouldn’t start in this current Spurs setup. Even as United supporter, I wouldn’t have him in their first eleven. Half of us here are even arguing for McTominay to start ahead of him!

Not arguing against Pogba’s talent and longer-term potential as that’s there for most to see, but he’s not currently good enough in his position to displace the best around. The very best adapt. Gerrard, Keane, Lampard, Schweinsteiger, Scholes - all were ace enough to shine in flexible midfield formations throughout their careers. Pogba just isn’t there yet.

Say we bought in someone else to sit in the ‘2’ with Matic, and pushed Pogba forward into a central attacking role. Can anyone really see him putting up 20 + goal seasons like Gerrard and Lampard regularly did when they had spells in similar positions?

So, we’re then left with the growing theory that the only solution is to move to a 4-3-3, buy another centre midfielder (or two) of a Pirlo/Vidal type level and then we’ll see Pogba flourish. Even in a faster, much more competitive league to that in which Juventus dominated.

Pogba needs to start putting in the performances right now, in whatever position he’s asked to play.

And whilst we’re ahead of Spurs, they have an easier run-in. We still have to play Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool at Old Trafford, and City away. Spurs have just the two matches against the top 6.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Seri would be a good shout, I forget who he plays for but I've seen him once or twice and looks a proper player.

Keita would have been ideal as well had Klopp not snagged him for us first.

Wanyama at Tottenham? If they'd let him go at a reasonable price.

Nzonzi might also be worth a punt, probably wouldn't cost the earth either if he didn't happen to work out you'd probably not lose a great whack.

I don't really take much notice of Midfield enforcers though that'd give Pogba licence to roam. If Chelski continue with their freefall and Hazard does a runner you could make a cheeky bid for Kante, he might relish the chance to win 3 Premier leagues with 3 clubs - he might prefer playing in blue though and sign for the other big English team that plays in blue. Everton ;)

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Dembele all week. His technique is almost impeccable. He can be sublime in his passing. He's tenacious enough to make it a thankless job to try and get past him. Anything more than £30M South of Pogba money would be a great deal at the end of the season. Would Levy be willing to part with him though?

Cliche Guevara

Pogba doesn’t need to be freed, he needs to be shackled otherwise he’s not going to have any kind of career of note.

Players simply can’t get away with not understanding the game at the highest level .

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

More luck please.
I don't think he would get in the Spurs team, because I don't see that he'd displace either Dembele or Eriksen.

Jig1234

Not sure this thread is relevant. 4-2-3-1 for life.

Guardiola has managed to convert De Bruyne into a central midfielder and taken him up a level. Mourinho probably thinks he can do the same with Pogba. (He can't and won't)

I don't see Mourinho changing the system or his approach. But if he does wake up and get his head out of the clouds, I would sign:

Jean Michaël Seri
Jorginho/Sergej Milinković-Savić

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Pogba won't get into Spurs team? :lol: 1 or 2 bad performances and the usual WUMs are back.

@GlastonSpur argues goals and assists when it suits him and runs away when someone brings Dembele lack of goals and assists.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pre...th-22nd-jan-2018.435763/page-34#post-22059437
It's not just "1 or 2" bad performances. And Dembele dominates CM in a way that Pogba never does and likely never will.

Sure Dembele doesn't score many goals or provide many assists, but that's not what he's in the team to do. And his driving runs forward often pull several players out of position, which provides the space and time for those players who are in the team to score goals and provide assists.

Comparing Dembele to Pogba is comparing a man to a boy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not just "1 or 2" bad performances. And Dembele dominates CM in a way that Pogba never does and likely never will.

Sure Dembele doesn't score many goals or provide many assists, but that's not what he's in the team to do. And his driving runs forward often pull several players out of position, which provides the space and time for those players who are in the team to score goals and provide assists.

Comparing Dembele to Pogba is comparing a man to a boy.
Meh, you kept on going on about how how Dembele is the best box to box player, how can he be box to box when his presence is insignificant in 1 box.

At least now you are capable of seeing past goals and assists, which is probably first major step for you.

Pogba has done it against the best sides and on the biggest stage, Demebe never even played so don't even have to talk about him dominating.

Yeah when it comes to biggest stages, it's man to a boy.

Crimson King

We shouldn't have to buy anyone to make him play better! He has everything a modern midfielder should need; good pace, physical presence, technique and the ability to dribble past players or keep possession in tight areas, not to mention an eye for a pass and a cannon of a right foot.

He just doesn't fecking try hard enough! It's as simple as that most of the time, and it's starting to drive me mad. If he ran himself into the ground and fought tooth and nail like Diame and Shelvey did yesterday, let alone the likes of Silva and KdB do every week for city, then he would already be considered one of the best CM in the world.

I'm starting to think that moving to Juventus was the worst thing for him. He went there and was put on a pedestal; 'look at this great young player we signed for nothing off one of the biggest teams in the world hahaha the mugs!'. He then spent about 4 seasons dominating a poor league with Pirlo and Vidal running the show for him, whilst he just pranced about dabbing and smashing home the occasional screamer. If he'd stayed and had to actually fight to get into the team he might have learned some humility.

He needs to stop thinking he's such a legend in his own head and become a team player, which is ironic because his biggest asset seems to be setting up teammates or initiating counterattacks, but he's a ghost when we don't actually have the ball.

He needs to work for the team first, and #pogba second.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Dembele all week. His technique is almost impeccable. He can be sublime in his passing. He's tenacious enough to make it a thankless job to try and get past him. Anything more than £30M South of Pogba money would be a great deal at the end of the season. Would Levy be willing to part with him though?
As long as the price is right (high enough), Levy will sell any player...but I guess that applies to any player/club.

DdeGoat

We can definitely upgrade on Herrera, Fellaini or McTominay. What I don't understand is, if it is such an obvious solution, why don't we play anyone of the three with Pogba and Matic until we buy someone?