Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

VanHaal'sRedArmy

If all the above mentioned names are a no go, Eric Dier. (puts on flak jacket, flame suit, gas mask)

AmanNits04

It's not just about Pogba getting the freedom. Next year we will be light in the Midfield department as Carrick will retire too. We need at least two midfielders, one defensive and one a better version of Herrera which means an energetic thorn in the opposition type of player.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think the closest to that is Verratti and Saul. But the reality is you have to compromise on passing or defensive skill or mobility. No way around that imo.
Yeah I know and it's not ideal. Peak Xabi Alonso would be perfect for us right now. I actually wouldn't mind Pereira being given the chance to have a crack at it. He has worked massively on his defensive skills and his mobility and passing ability has always been there for all to see.

Bringing in say Vidal or someone with only a couple of years left at the top and letting Periera grow into the role could be ideal.

If we were to target 3 players in the summer (and assuming we sign Sanchez now) a transfer window of...

Vidal - 40-50m
Weigl - 50-60m

Add in a full back to challenge Shaw or Valencia depending on how the rest of the season plays out. And I think we'd be quite well set.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah I know and it's not ideal. Peak Xabi Alonso would be perfect for us right now. I actually wouldn't mind Pereira being given the chance to have a crack at it. He has worked massively on his defensive skills and his mobility and passing ability has always been there for all to see.

Bringing in say Vidal or someone with only a couple of years left at the top and letting Periera grow into the role could be ideal.

If we were to target 3 players in the summer (and assuming we sign Sanchez now) a transfer window of...

Vidal - 40-50m
Weigl - 50-60m

Add in a full back to challenge Shaw or Valencia depending on how the rest of the season plays out. And I think we'd be quite well set.
Shouldn't we avoid buying Dortmund players ,until at least, they start growing a spine?

P-Nut

Shouldn't we avoid buying Dortmund players ,until at least, they start growing a spine?
I don't buy into the whole every signing from that club has failed hype to be honest. Also Weigl is still a youngster with a lot of growing to do and he looks to be a world class prospect.

Much rather not miss out on someone due to superstitions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not all Dortmund players - just the ones that are playing at the level they are due to the system rather than their individual talent. Like, I didn't want Mkhi because I knew he wasn't that good of a player (not that he was bad, just not good enough to be one of our top targets to turn us into title challengers), rather the excellent attacking system (which we haven't had in many years) was getting the best out of him and everyone of their attackers, but Gundogan's a player who doesn't need a cohesive system to at least play at a good standard because of his individual assets so I was all for him.

The only players I'd want from Dortmund are Guerreiro and Pulisic for those reasons. I liked Sokratis in the past but that boats sailed, and Castro is a nice midfielder too, but is old now and we should be aiming for better tbh. Still not sold on Weigl.

devilish

I don't buy into the whole every signing from that club has failed hype to be honest. Also Weigl is still a youngster with a lot of growing to do and he looks to be a world class prospect.

Much rather not miss out on someone due to superstitions.
Its pretty evident that Dortmund play in a style that doesn't suit the EPL. So considering we would need to spend big money to get Weigl, then maybe, we should consider other options first. Unless of course, we're happy to send them back on peanuts or use them in a swap deal. In that case then its worth the risk

Regarding your comment about Vidal, you might not notice but we're in 2018 not 2015

devilish

Not all Dortmund players - just the ones that are playing at the level they are due to the system rather than their individual talent. Like, I didn't want Mkhi because I knew he wasn't that good of a player (not that he was bad, just not good enough to be one of our top targets to turn us into title challengers), rather the excellent attacking system (which we haven't had in many years) was getting the best out of him and everyone of their attackers, but Gundogan's a player who doesn't need a cohesive system to at least play at a good standard because of his individual assets so I was all for him.

The only players I'd want from Dortmund are Guerreiro and Pulisic for those reasons. I liked Sokratis in the past but that boats sailed, and Castro is a nice midfielder too, but is old now and we should be aiming for better tbh. Still not sold on Weigl.
Its very difficult to distinguish between the player and the team's style. I'd say we'll avoid buying players from Dortmund for the time being unless they are financially worth to do so

Cheekiey

What's Vidal like these days? I'd love for Andreas to make it his own, very versatile and coming into his own in Spain

devilish

Pogba is a curious case. In terms of talent and physicality he's an absolute beast. There again, he lacks composure/positioning to play in a deeper role and he doesn't score enough goals as no 10.

In my opinion we need 2 CM. One should be relatively cheap and he should act as cover/competition for Matic (Dendoncker?). The other should act as a box to box player, who'll do the legwork but is also technically gifted enough to pass the ball around. Milinkovic Savic or Jorginho would be my favourites

Yagami

Good post resistant
Its very difficult to distinguish between the player and the team's style. I'd say we'll avoid buying players from Dortmund for the time being unless they are financially worth to do so
Not to blow my own horn here but I found it quite noticeable. Like, when things weren't/aren't going Dortmund's way (as often has been the case here since Fergie), players like Mkhi, Weigl, Kagawa, etc all look(ed) out of their depth, whereas the likes of Gundogan, Pulisic, Guerreiro still maintain(ed) a decent standard because even though their game plan isn't going well, they have their individual skills (plus strength on the ball to resist pressing players giving them more time than most) to stay at said standard.

I'll be in the absolute minority here, but it's why, even at their best, I wasn't keen on Gotze or Reus either. Maybe I'm a bit harsh on Reus but I wasn't surprised to see Gotze fall flat at Munich.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Veratti would be the ideal. Alongside Matic and Pogba that would be quite a midfield. But obviously not going to happen. I don't watch enough European football, are there any other players out there in the same mould as Veratti that might be a realistic signing?

P-Nut

Its pretty evident that Dortmund play in a style that doesn't suit the EPL. So considering we would need to spend big money to get Weigl, then maybe, we should consider other options first. Unless of course, we're happy to send them back on peanuts or use them in a swap deal. In that case then its worth the risk

Regarding your comment about Vidal, you might not notice but we're in 2018 not 2015
I agree certain players flourish in certain systems, Weigl however (along with most metronome players) dictate the style of play. Whilst Dortmund are known for their quick free attacking style of play, Weigl is the one that sits deep, retaining possession and deciding when to turn up the heat. He's exactly the type of player we need to add a bit of control to our midfield.

As you said in your second post Pogba isn't suited to that role and neither is Matic.

As for your snarky 2015 comment, the fact Vidal is coming towards the end of his time was the exact reasoning for me wanting to pick him up. It would allow Periera a period of adjustment whilst growing into the role, a role I believe he could be perfect for us in.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Fred will be the ideal target for most clubs in summer, he does everything and is a very good buy.
Jorginho is another one who would do well, if we dint have pogba i would go for SMS but he is too similar to pogba and kills the balance. Kevin strootman is also having a good season. Italy has lot of good midfielders right now. Also do not think we will go for a superstar a.k.a Kroos/Verratti. A carrick Clone would be amazing.

devilish

I agree certain players flourish in certain systems, Weigl however (along with most metronome players) dictate the style of play. Whilst Dortmund are known for their quick free attacking style of play, Weigl is the one that sits deep, retaining possession and deciding when to turn up the heat. He's exactly the type of player we need to add a bit of control to our midfield.

As you said in your second post Pogba isn't suited to that role and neither is Matic.

As for your snarky 2015 comment, the fact Vidal is coming towards the end of his time was the exact reasoning for me wanting to pick him up. It would allow Periera a period of adjustment whilst growing into the role, a role I believe he could be perfect for us in.
Do we need another holding player when we've already got Matic? Also considering how Kagawa and Mkhitaryan turned up the heat, I wouldn't trust any Dortmund player to light my cigarette

PS: If you asked me between 2013 and 2016 whom would you like United to buy then Vidal and Sanchez would have been top of the list. They had the right mix of talent, attitude and workrate. Sanchez is still mint, a mix between Figo and Park. Vidal is the closest player I could think of Keane. Unfortunately age is catching up on the latter.

P-Nut

Do we need another holding player when we've already got Matic? Also considering how Kagawa and Mkhitaryan turned up the heat, I wouldn't trust any Dortmund player to light my cigarette

PS: If you asked me between 2013 and 2016 whom would you like United to buy then Vidal and Sanchez would have been top of the list. They had the right mix of talent, attitude and workrate. Sanchez is still mint, a mix between Figo and Park. Vidal is the closest player I could think of Keane. Unfortunately age is catching up on the latter.
Yes we do, as we see constantly our midfield being run through, it's the reason we are seemingly looking at going for the 3 man midfield. A tempo setter in there allows Pogba to push much higher as he no longer needs to drop deep to dictate play, also means when we are in good possession and Pogba makes his forays forward that our midfield isn't left with 1 man holding the fort.

devilish

Yes we do, as we see constantly our midfield being run through, it's the reason we are seemingly looking at going for the 3 man midfield. A tempo setter in there allows Pogba to push much higher as he no longer needs to drop deep to dictate play, also means when we are in good possession and Pogba makes his forays forward that our midfield isn't left with 1 man holding the fort.
I disagree. What we need is a regista, someone who can drop deep but offers more to the game then a holding player. Jorginho would be perfect on that regard

Crashoutcassius

If we added sanchez and ozil and let mhiki and Mata go and mourinho was happy with our attack, could we look to go big in cm ? I don't know what going big Is, who are the 5 best play makers under 28? Is there someone out there whose wages we could just double. Pjanic to me physically has never had enough, even when he was very young in France. He has adapted well but premiership is tougher. But if it was him, you would think we could make it happen if he's on 100k a week or something

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You think you'd sell Kroos before Modric and Kovacic?
I have a sneaky feeling that Kroos would be interested in a new challenge.

We only have to convince the player as Real’s supposed policy is to never stand in the way of the player.
We're not selling any of those guys willingly, and i don't think either would even want to leave, but we might find ourselves in a position where we'll need a big profit to balance the outlay on attackers, and Kroos is the only player who fits the bill. We already have internal solutions to replace him, too(kovacic, ceballos, Isco)

DdeGoat

I am glad it's finally acknowledged that Pogba needs a freer role to help us in attack than be played in a midfield two. Some good options mentioned in this thread. My order of preference would be:

(1) Toni Kross - The best option for the position with his passing ability and vision.
(2) Pjanic - A only slightly worse player than Kroos.
(3) Jorginho - Can play with or in place of Matic. More attainable option.
(4) Rakitic - A Modric light who'll fit in well.
(5) Goretzka - A more Jose type of player who'd be defensively sounder than the options above.

I consider Verratti and Modric unattainable. The five I mentioned are the players I have seen play on quite a few occasions and think will elevate our team to another level. Surely there are other under the radar players that our scouting department have identified.

And yes, we need to get Pereiera back and make him part of the rotation. Such a versatile player would have no trouble getting starts. He can play the #8 role, the Pogba role or can be played on the right. I hope Jose hasn't given up on him.

angusaa07

I dont see Jose changing to a midfield 3, he prefers 4-2-3-1 unless he pushes pogba to a no 10 and should we get Sanchez, where will he go on the right? Should we buy a midfielder i really like the look of Dendoncker or Rabiot.

Last edited:

Nuts

No. Don’t buy any more Bundesliga players for middle of the park. They’re too slow and PL game passes them by. See Ballack, Hargreaves, Gundogan, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan etc

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do you think Jose will play with a midfield 3?
I do think so, if he had he right player. He is a defensively conscious coach, and it will not be lost on him how open we are in the middle.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've never seen the lad at Schalke or Savic at Napoli play would they be the right fit? It's all very well signing another midfielder but they need to be disciplined/defensively minded rather than someone who wants to attack alongside Pogba otherwise you just have 2 of them vacating the midfield

UpWithRivers

What about stealing emre can from the scousers....don't think he has signed for juve yet.

tony54

We need to keep possession much better than we do - someone like Modric, Kroos - who could sit in and dictate, allow Pog to roam and then have matc behind them for when we lost the ball.

Those two are probably unrealistic but someone of that ilk would be perfect IMO. Iniesta is leaving apparently...
Agreed, Iniesta was one of the best midfielders ever and someone in his mould would be good. But who, I don't know.

beingshe7don

Nainggolan (29 years of age, will be 30 this year)... He's not the quickest either but he's a hard man and robust tackler
Matic (29 years of age, will be 30 this year)... He's not the fastest but makes up for it with in-game intelligence
Pogba (24 years of age, will be 25 this year)... He's good on the ball and is not particularly quick but makes up for it with skill and strength

I think one of our biggest drawbacks has been moving the ball quickly. Even the game yesterday, there was a lot of unwanted side passes and back passes with Mata and so on. One of our biggest issues has been that we have tried to find a break when the opposition is old set to defend. It makes it really hard to penetrate a defense that's able to get back into position. We need ball movement that quick in midfield.

For instance, imagine... Matic gathering the ball in our own half right by our penalty box and then passes it to a midfielder.... that midfielder needs to somehow find a quick pass to Pogba or our wingers... He needs to be quick on the break since Matic can't really do it and Pogba needs to be on the end of those passes. A true box to box midfielder.... with an ability to make long passes with pin point accuracy.

Jorginho? maybe
Savic - I highly doubt if he's able to do that for us
Weigl - A lot of people here are saying that he wouldn't work for a Jose team... so maybe
Goretzka?

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Martial - Lukaku - Sanchez
--- Pogba ---- Goretzka ---
--------- Matic -------------

That's one heck of a team and now we don't need to buy a LB given Luke Shaw's current form. TFM will be back and be filling up the RB position and I see Tuanzebe being the future of our CB. That just leaves us buying attacking players with immense potential.

Inter Yer Nan

Saul Niguez

If not him, an energetic box to box midfielder who can break the attacks. Peak Roy Keane or Fletcher .

Fred whom we have been scouting is a similar player I guess.
Saul would be insanely good. Great all around talent and pops up everywhere on the pitch. He also has a relatively low buy out clause from my understanding (probably around 80m) but he seems very settled and happy at Atletico. I don't think he'd leave them.

I think a player of that profile more than one who just sits in front of the defense and passes would suit us better.