g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

Red_Aaron

the big lad at lazio (serbian i think double-barrelled name sorry i cba to google) is an almost photo-fit jose player. Looks destined for big things too, need to snap him up before juve do i reckon

MrBest

I think tuanzabe would make a great central defensive midfielder. I hate that he's been touted to centre back. Also thought fosu mensah would do great in that position but now shifted to right back. We need a replacement for matic once he starts to diminish ... id love to see Andreas pierra in the middle.

Revaulx

I think it's worth noting that Pogba and Matic in a two has been very successful against the lesser teams for the most part.
Very hit and miss. It was absolutely terrible against Southampton.

Getting away from 4-2-3-1 has benefits throughout the team though. We haven’t got a top class No. 10, and if we got (say) Ozil I’m not sure how he and Pogba would fit together. Lukaku isn’t really a lone striker either.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Not sure if it's been covered but I don't think we need an exceptional passer or Regista. Pogba is a fantastic passer but what we lack is mobility in the middle.

With the ball and without it.

I'd prefer energy, stamina, touch and pace in the middle, passing isnt something I would concern with.

Oxlaide against City was a good example (Not saying he is good enough) but always showed for the ball, gave his other midfielders an option and could drive into space, avoid the press. This makes the DMC job easy when he is marked or closed down, can give it to a player with the ability to keep the ball or avoid the press.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A 2016/17 Herrera ?
What's happened to the guy ?
Curse of the POTY award? Bar De Gea they've all tended to be crap the following year but yes tbh Herrera is the type of player we need

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Looking at Juve where he looked in his element, Pirlo sitting, supported by a tougher/more energetic player (Marchisio, Vidal) allowed Pogba the freedom to push up.

If Matic is the sitting player, I think we need a hardworking/B2B player who always drops when we don't have the ball. Say to Pogba "do NOT come back and defend".

Always been a fan of Kroos, just not sure he's what we need atm. Saul Niguez?

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Last season's Herrera would have been great, not sure who now but I'd like it to be a box to box player who is quick enough and can find a pass. Let Matic be the holding midfielder but obviously let him get forward if need to.

L1nk

Mobility? I'd say Ruben Neves would be a great choice, cheap, talented and still a young player, tearing it up for Wolves currently, he should be playing higher than that.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Someone able to create. 10/AM/CM doesn't matter. Just need to find someone that makes us harder to defend against when Pogba is out.

Good shouts I've seen by others:
Özil, Kovacic, Pjanic and more.
Out of those at least Özil is a free alternative in case we need to buy a new wb/cb. But all depends on availability of player and funds.

Devil may care

We're not selling any of those guys willingly, and i don't think either would even want to leave, but we might find ourselves in a position where we'll need a big profit to balance the outlay on attackers, and Kroos is the only player who fits the bill. We already have internal solutions to replace him, too(kovacic, ceballos, Isco)
How much do you think he'd cost? €100M?

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Depending on how one sets his team. For me, I would play a midfield 3, with matic anchoring at deep as cdm and pogba as lcm and maybe perreira / mata as rcm. While attacking, we will have 3 at the back, our rcb, lcb and cdm acting as cb. Allowing our fullbacks to overlap and our wide players to cut inside crowding the attacking box with one striker, lcm, rcm and both wide player cutting inwards.

While defending counter attacks, our 2 midfielders i. E. Lcm and rcm can trace back, while we already have 3 defenders to guard our goal.

The team would look something like

..................... De gea...................
Valencia.. Jones.. Viktor... Shaw
...................... Matic.....................
.... Andreas.................. Pogba....
... Sanchez..................... Martial.
.................... Lukaku....................

davidmichael

With Pereira and Fosu-Mensah coming back in the summer added to Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lingard and McTominay I think we’d only need one midfielder although he’d have to be world class and a Scholes/Xavi type so he’d fully complement Pogba and Matic in a 3 man midfield.

Kroos or Veratti would be the dream although I don’t think either are attainable unless either Real or PSG need to raise cash for big summer transfer splashes, I like Pjanic but I don’t know if he’s spent so much time in Serie A he’d struggle with the pace of the Premier League.

Don’t know much about Kovacivic other than he was meant to be amazing at Inter and Real seemed to have really slowed his progress down, like the idea of Savic or Saul Niguez though and think both are very attainable and serious upgrades on Herrera.

Kag

It's by no means guaranteed but Pereira has just about every attribute commonly discussed for this position. He's a creative passer, can push on in an attacking sense, as well as put in a fairly tenacious shift of it. It would take time and a lot of trust (something I don't expect he'd get) but we could save ourselves lots of money if we gave him a sustained opportunity.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's by no means guaranteed but Pereira has just about every attribute commonly discussed for this position. He's a creative passer, can push on in an attacking sense, as well as put in a fairly tenacious shift of it. It would take time and a lot of trust (something I don't expect he'd get) but we could save ourselves lots of money if we gave him a sustained opportunity.
This is true.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't watch a lot of European football these days so a lot of the names mentioned here are alien to me, however I do believe with Carrick likely to retire we need two new midfielders.

To fill one of these spots, personally I would think it's a no brainer to make a move for Jack Wilshere. Out of contract, English and showing signs of getting back to his best, I think he still has a chance of becoming a really top drawer midfielder if he can stay fit.

MadMike

Andreas Pereira
Preach. He deserves a chance at least.

We're not gonna be playing 4-3-3 in all games anyway so I don't see the point in going either for a very costly acquisition or for someone young an unproven when we can give that chance to one of our own.

Having said that, if Carrick and Fellaini both leave we'll probably need more than just Pereira for the depth alone.

Tahiri

I think McTominay along with Pereira can do the job!

Last edited by a moderator:

roseguy64

I think McTominay along with Pereira can do the job!
I'm 90% sure we'll loan McTominay out next season.

Will leave Pogba, Pereira, Herrera and Matic for the CM roles. We'll definitely buy someone to come in there who can play in a 2.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If money was no object and PSG had no Neymar... Verratti is the perfect partner for Pogba. Perfect blend of maestro, decent defensively and creative threat. Pogba would love him and his position naturally is that area between Pogba and Matic in heart of the centre circle. He controls the tempo of any game, is not a pass back merchant and press resistent.

If he wasn't made of glass, my next suggestion would be Jack Wilshere. English, still only 25 and the closest Englishman to the older Paul Scholes in terms of style and ability to control a game. Probably worth getting just to be the occasional bench player if he's available on a free. If he could start 15 games a season.. might be worth a punt.

Thiago Alcantara is part of my Fab Five of replacements, another who combines workrate, skill and everything I used to describe Verratti. Another who is impossible it seems to sign and probably destined to return to Barca one day.

Final option is none other than Luka Modric, the current godfather of the midfield position. Ageing yes, but for me still has it in him to dominate games in the right set up for another 3-4 years minimum.

Issue is none of these guys are attainable aside from Wilshere who is not reliable so in terms of next best things.. Naingolan, solid option who mixes physical prowess, with goals and playmaking to a sufficient degree and provides an all round package which would complement Pogba and Matic. Furthermore has the dynamism to help retain possession and is always available for a pass and can help control a game. Vidal ditto but is past his peak and with the drinking is a huge gamble. Not to mention he's a pain in the ass to sign (Naingolan).

So top 7 targets.. very difficult to envisage us getting them and some are not in best shape (Wilshere and Vidal).

Then the not so perfect fits..

Savic (SMS) - huge talent but for me too static and reminds me of a slightly defensive version of Pogba. Powerhouse who for me doesn't have the quick dynamism to provide balance to our midfield. We would have too many statues not enough runners and no nimble players in the midfield. At the prices touted a gamble imo tactically.

Kroos - again lacks running ability, could leave us exposed for lack of pace in midfield like we are seeing at Madrid now. Is losing concentration a lot in games but at his best can control games as good as any of that top 7 and an amazing passer. Would give us that metronome we crave. I think he's gettable as Madrid will want to revamp this summer.

Saul - a safe signing as in he has abit of everything. Would be an upgrade on anyone we have, and is nimble and tough enough to handle EPL. Only question mark is that do I rate his playmaking as high as my top 7 targets and answer is no. He's a more conservative passer than them all despite being a better goal threat. Decent option though.

Kovacic - used to love him at Inter. Saw him recently against Barca and he was poor but in general his stock has risen. Still very much needs moulding but has all the attributes to be a powerhouse midfielder with everything in his game. He's simplified his game (sideways a lot) but has lost the personality and charisma he had. A club where he could grow to combine the old game and the new - could be a monster. Wouldn't mind him that's for sure.

Koke - stock isn't what it used to be, but is moving further back into midfield and is a right sided CM from games I've seen. Pretty solid defensively and has an aura on the ball and presence. A goal threat too and good passing from wide positions and can spread play too. More influential than Saul with regard to dictating tempo but doesn't move as well as him but still better than Kroos in that respect.

Strootman - gem of a player - what's his current injury status this season? Very well rounded and is good in tight spaces and defensively solid. Good engine too.

Fabinho/Weigl/Jorginho - more Matic competition and not the right fit alongside Pogba in a three.

Pereira - on paper sounds perfect but no manager fancies him and lacks the physical prowess to play in heart of midfield. Looks like he doesn't have legs to cover ground effortlessly which even slower players like Kroos show they can do. This ship has sailed.

Summary (realistic targets)

I'd sign three midfielders (2 cheap and one big budget).

Kroos, Kovacic and Koke would be my three big budget options if we can't get any of the top 7. I'd supplement that with a Wilshere on a free or a Strootman on a reasonable fee.

For CDM I'd go for Fabinho, or Jorginho. Weigl is defensively not solid and Dortmund is not reliable imo unless it's a no brainer talent.

Norris

He's more like Carrick though. Positioning, Interceptions, Forward passes.

We probably need a more dynamic midfielder, someone who can contribute to both sides of the pitch. Someone like Fellaini but upgraded in terms of everything except Chest Control.

I think with Pereira coming back next season, he's sure to be tried there for one.
I like Gundogan, someone similar to him in terms of style of play would suit us really well.

Mani

I would go with someone similar to Nainonglan, defensive power house and decent passing skill set to match Pogba and Matic,Savic could be decent buy.

Wombatking

What do you guys think about Eriksen. I know he would cost a ton, but I think he would be perfect. In a midfield 3 with Pogba and Matic, covering the right flank and allowing our right-sided attacker to drift in. The only downside, in my opinion, would be his defensive abilities and contributions.

I have also just stumbled across Houssem Aouar from Lyon. Although still a bit raw, he looks like the missing piece we need. I haven't seen him in a full game, so would like to know what you guys think.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think tuanzabe would make a great central defensive midfielder. I hate that he's been touted to centre back. Also thought fosu mensah would do great in that position but now shifted to right back. We need a replacement for matic once he starts to diminish ... id love to see Andreas pierra in the middle.
It would be great to see either one of these to be given a chance in CM before we go into the market for a new CM. Axel especially looked good when he played there last season (although was only 1-2 games)

Lucky number 7

I would like to see a Nainggolan type to took in there with him and Matic. A bit more energy and good all rounder, with that bit of toughness and bite. I think it’s a must we get another cm above any other position.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheForgottenOne

Pereira - on paper sounds perfect but no manager fancies him and lacks the physical prowess to play in heart of midfield. Looks like he doesn't have legs to cover ground effortlessly which even slower players like Kroos show they can do. This ship has sailed.
No manager fancies him, which is why he is a first team starter for la Liga clubs for the second season in a row. Valencia is doing very well and Pereira is being used plenty there. Obviously has his bad games, but playing very good ones at well. Not strange for a 22 year old youngster in his first half year at a club. I am pretty sure he will do even better in the second half of the season, now that is a bit more settled.

He did very well in pre-season for us. His performances then should have been enough to earn a spot in the team for this year. In my opinion, we could have used him this season, but ofcourse getting a season of playing time at Valencia is great for him.

Saying the ship Pereira has sailed is just foolish to me. He is 22 years and has shown plenty potential. Also, if you watched him play at the tour, saying he lacks physical prowess is a bit silly. Just watch the video of the pre season game versus Madrid. How in the world can you say he lacks physical prowess?

On of the best things I like about him, and what to many players in our team lack, is the fact that he immediatly moves to play himself open again as soon as he passed the ball. He has enough speed and makes lots of runs. Very strange to read that you say he doesnt have the legs to cover ground.

I don't think anyone would claim Pereira is the great solution, but he is versatile as he can play in multiple positions, has shown he has enough talent and he brings specific qualities not many other players at United posses. I would love to see him start a few games against the smaller sides in the Premier League just for the fact that he can actually decently whip in the corners we get, which have been dreadfull to watch in our games for the past 4 years.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If money was no object and PSG had no Neymar... Verratti is the perfect partner for Pogba. Perfect blend of maestro, decent defensively and creative threat. Pogba would love him and his position naturally is that area between Pogba and Matic in heart of the centre circle. He controls the tempo of any game, is not a pass back merchant and press resistent.

If he wasn't made of glass, my next suggestion would be Jack Wilshere. English, still only 25 and the closest Englishman to the older Paul Scholes in terms of style and ability to control a game. Probably worth getting just to be the occasional bench player if he's available on a free. If he could start 15 games a season.. might be worth a punt.

Thiago Alcantara is part of my Fab Five of replacements, another who combines workrate, skill and everything I used to describe Verratti. Another who is impossible it seems to sign and probably destined to return to Barca one day.

Final option is none other than Luka Modric, the current godfather of the midfield position. Ageing yes, but for me still has it in him to dominate games in the right set up for another 3-4 years minimum.

Issue is none of these guys are attainable aside from Wilshere who is not reliable so in terms of next best things.. Naingolan, solid option who mixes physical prowess, with goals and playmaking to a sufficient degree and provides an all round package which would complement Pogba and Matic. Furthermore has the dynamism to help retain possession and is always available for a pass and can help control a game. Vidal ditto but is past his peak and with the drinking is a huge gamble. Not to mention he's a pain in the ass to sign (Naingolan).

So top 7 targets.. very difficult to envisage us getting them and some are not in best shape (Wilshere and Vidal).

Then the not so perfect fits..

Savic (SMS) - huge talent but for me too static and reminds me of a slightly defensive version of Pogba. Powerhouse who for me doesn't have the quick dynamism to provide balance to our midfield. We would have too many statues not enough runners and no nimble players in the midfield. At the prices touted a gamble imo tactically.

Kroos - again lacks running ability, could leave us exposed for lack of pace in midfield like we are seeing at Madrid now. Is losing concentration a lot in games but at his best can control games as good as any of that top 7 and an amazing passer. Would give us that metronome we crave. I think he's gettable as Madrid will want to revamp this summer.

Saul - a safe signing as in he has abit of everything. Would be an upgrade on anyone we have, and is nimble and tough enough to handle EPL. Only question mark is that do I rate his playmaking as high as my top 7 targets and answer is no. He's a more conservative passer than them all despite being a better goal threat. Decent option though.

Kovacic - used to love him at Inter. Saw him recently against Barca and he was poor but in general his stock has risen. Still very much needs moulding but has all the attributes to be a powerhouse midfielder with everything in his game. He's simplified his game (sideways a lot) but has lost the personality and charisma he had. A club where he could grow to combine the old game and the new - could be a monster. Wouldn't mind him that's for sure.

Koke - stock isn't what it used to be, but is moving further back into midfield and is a right sided CM from games I've seen. Pretty solid defensively and has an aura on the ball and presence. A goal threat too and good passing from wide positions and can spread play too. More influential than Saul with regard to dictating tempo but doesn't move as well as him but still better than Kroos in that respect.

Strootman - gem of a player - what's his current injury status this season? Very well rounded and is good in tight spaces and defensively solid. Good engine too.

Fabinho/Weigl/Jorginho - more Matic competition and not the right fit alongside Pogba in a three.

Summary (realistic targets)

I'd sign three midfielders (2 cheap and one big budget).

Kroos, Kovacic and Koke would be my three big budget options if we can't get any of the top 7. I'd supplement that with a Wilshere on a free or a Strootman on a reasonable fee.

For CDM I'd go for Fabinho, or Jorginho. Weigl is defensively not solid and Dortmund is not reliable imo unless it's a no brainer talent.
Great summary but you say 2 cheap and 1 big budget but all the players apart from Wilshire (contract) would cost a fortune even Strootman would be £30m +. I’m not disagreeing with you I just think we won’t have the budget for all them as we need to buy in other positions also.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think we should be looking at a box to box style midfielder who is slightly more defensive than offensive.

Energetic player who breaks up play.

Kante would have been perfect I think.

Matic Kante

Sanchez Pogba Martial

Lukaku

I'm not sure who will play on the right mind you. Martial and Sanchez must play imo but Pogba must player further forward.

Obviously Kante is unattainable but I'm just using him as a comparison. I don't watch a lot of European league games so couldn't tell you how good Seri and the likes are.

Last edited:

sosolid4u09

I think Nainggolan is a good shout. Sad thing is, Herrera from last would be perfect! But he's been shocking this season.

Roeindo

Doucure of Watford...

I like the way he played and also a goal threat too. With better player around him, i'm sure he'll improve

MATIC DOUCURE

RASHFORD POGBA MARTIAL

LUKAKU

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great summary but you say 2 cheap and 1 big budget but all the players apart from Wilshire (contract) would cost a fortune even Strootman would be £30m +. I’m not disagreeing with you I just think we won’t have the budget for all them as we need to buy in other positions also.
Cheers bud. In modern market, £30m is cheap for a solid tier 2/3 (CL class) midfielder. Guys like Kroos, will be double that. This summer, I would say we need 2 full backs, an out and out wing wizard in addition to the midfield purchases. I think we'd have the budget to get three midfielders.

If we are losing Fellaini, Carrick and possibly Perreira and Herrera stays in poor form, not to mention Matic a season older and at risk of burnout, same with Pogba.. we need numbers next year and can't afford to penny pinch in the engine room. Two mids at the very minimum, three is possibly asking for abit much but that is why I think we should go all out for Wilshere on a free. Even 10 games a season for a guy of that calibre would help us in say cup games, odd CL game, some league games. Iniesta is also available on a free.. so maybe we can seek out a bargain for a third midfielder just to give the squad some depth.