Which player had the biggest purple patch followed by the steepest decline?

gormless

Jermaine Jenas had a random 3 month period where he was genuinely the best player in the league end of 2007/beginning of 2008 (other than Ronaldo). Cumulated with him being the first goal scorer of the Capello reign.

Whoever posted Chimbonda was an amazing shout

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You had a couple like that, I swear. Stephen Naismith had like half a season where he was actually very good at football. Kevin Mirallas as well? Was a proper regular for Belgium for a while.
Don’t think Naismith belongs here. No purple patch or incredible-ness to be seen, just god deciding to play football for a bit.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s still nothing extraordinary for me. Lingard has never got to a level that even the likes of Dele Alli got to. I just regard him as an average player who had the odd decent season for his standard.
You must have super high standards if 14 G+A in 16 games is just decent.:lol:

Chief123

You must have super high standards if 14 G+A in 16 games is just decent.:lol:
Dude, your using a sample of 16 games. The OP said someone who’s gone from average to incredible. Even in those 16 games he wasn’t “incredible”.

We can find so many players who had an amazing run of form in just 16 games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Dude, your using a sample of 16 games. The OP said someone who’s gone from average to incredible. Even in those 16 games he wasn’t “incredible”.

We can find so many players who had an amazing run of form in just 16 games.
That’s the whole point of the thread!

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
From a City angle (and it's still a complete mystery) look no further than Alvaro Negredo in 13-14, and the way he morphed from Joe Frazier to Joe Pasquale

He battered Vidic and Ferdinand at the ETIHAD, scored the winner v Liverpool, and also notched a couple of hat tricks.

Dislocated his shoulder the following January and never scored for City again.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why does the thread contain the names of so many players who were actually very good but just dropped off? :lol:

James Beattie might fit in here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ramsay.
Went from being a fairly average option amongst many at Arsenal, then scored about 30 one season, then faded back down almost immediately.
Yet somehow trousered a 400k a week deal abroad after.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Kevin Phillips of Sunderland in the 1999-2000 season, had a great season before that as well, but soon went back to normal form

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Dani Güiza is one I remember. He always had the talent but was very average in terms of his output. He exploded in 2007 with Mallorca and went on to help Spain with the Euros, only to go back to being just OK again with Fenerbache and Getafe.

He was world class for about 18 months though.

troylocker

Kevin Phillips (99/00)
Patrik Schick (21/22)
Andre Silva (20/21)
Alexander Sorloth (19/20)

madzo2007

Bit of a throwback to the late 90's, I'm no Rangers fan but Marco Negri always comes into my head for some reason in this type of thread

Scored over a goal a game for a season in the SPL then barely played for the club again and drifted the rest of his career.

NoPace

No, he was good himself and then turned to shit after an injury while the other players actually reached a higher level. Also Mbappé was barely playing during Bakayoko's very good form, he had a concussion during the first game of the season and Jardim was wary to play him, the attack was mainly Germain with Falcao or someone else.
You're right about Mbappe, but I think it's valid to suggest a box to box #8 playing with Lemar-Fabinho-Silva was in basically an optimal position to look good.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You're right about Mbappe, but I think it's valid to suggest a box to box #8 playing with Lemar-Fabinho-Silva was in basically an optimal position to look good.
In theory probably but the reality of his season and Monaco's first months do not match with this. Bakayoko was good and he was good for no particular reason, it was a genuine purple patch that ended around December when he got injured and never came back to his new found level.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Dani Güiza is one I remember. He always had the talent but was very average in terms of his output. He exploded in 2007 with Mallorca and went on to help Spain with the Euros, only to go back to being just OK again with Fenerbache and Getafe.

He was world class for about 18 months though.
Scoring goals does not mean you're world class.