Which post Fergie Era would you be willing to go through again?

haram

Easily Jose Mourinho. I know someone is fuming seeing haram say this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know why people want to go through Jose era again, do they want to watch Liverpool and City smashing records again?

Stacks

Jose ruined things with his 3rd season meltdown. The initial season had a poor league campaign but winning the Europa and CC gave us some much needed silverware and got us into CL. finishing 2nd is something we will not acheive for a good while and racking up 80+ pts was impressive along with the FA Cup final.

Baneofthegame

While not the question per se, Mourinhos first season was when I had optimism, because I thought he would kick on from there.

Moyes by far the worst, used our entire summer to buy Fellaini, then took our (old) title winning squad to 7th and got sacked.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Jose ruined things with his 3rd season meltdown. The initial season had a poor league campaign but winning the Europa and CC gave us some much needed silverware and got us into CL. finishing 2nd is something we will not acheive for a good while and racking up 80+ pts was impressive along with the FA Cup final.
The first season was dropping point after point in the first half, followed by woeful football in the second half of the season. Finishing 2nd was irrelevant when we were about 20 million points of first, playing awful football and clearly not progressing as a team the same way Liverpool were. The 3rd season everyone saw coming because of the things I've just mentioned about the previous 2 seasons.

Melville Red

Every single fecking day of it!
Yes even the beginning when he cleared out the rubbish and we were struggling, you just knew that he would do as he said, ie knock Liverpool off their fecking perch. And yes we did print it and yes we did and have done.
God if only I had a time machine, now where is that rascal Stewie Griffin?

Edited, oh I thought the thread said “If you had to go through the Fergie era again”

I need new glasses but I can’t be bothered to delete the post.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Every single fecking day of it!
Yes even the beginning when he cleared out the rubbish and we were struggling, you just knew that he would do as he said, ie knock Liverpool off their fecking perch. And yes we did print it and yes we did and have done.
God if only I had a time machine, now where is that rascal Stewie Griffin?
Post-Fergie era. Otherwise it certainly would be every single fecking day of it in hindsight.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
None. All horrible. From clueless midtable losers to stubborn, toxic dutch and portuguese has-beens.

Year Zero was December 2018. Even if Ole doesn't even finish this season, late 2018-winter 2019 was the turning point.

Theonas

Scout
I think LvG's second season is overshadowing his tenure here. The most optimistic and closest to the top we've been was the second half of his first season for me. There was a period from around March where we looked like we could even push Chelsea. I remember going to the Bridge late in the season with even few whispers of putting them under pressure if we beat them which seemed like a real possibility after the way we beat Spurs, Liverpool and City by actually outplaying them. I don't think there was that feeling of being close to the top under Mourinho except the first month of his first and second season which was absolutely destroyed by the way we played against City and Liverpool. In terms of pure deflation, nothing beats LvG's second season and that infamous winter period and Mourinho's third season. Moyes's tenure was just comically tragic. Not even sure it qualifies as a tenure.

Van Gaal: If he had stayed, he would have continued to blood the youngsters and players like Tuanzebe would be established. Fosu Mensah might have developed into the fast centre back he looked like he could become. We would be ready for a less boring coach.

Moyes:

Cons: We would still play defence first football and not use our attackers properly. We would still make to many hit and hope crosses and be focused on winger/fullback interplay.
Pros: He would have continued to overhaul and modernise our scouting system and we would not have to spend £80 Million to get a good defender. I think he would have made some decent signings in that second summer.

meamth

None. All horrible. From clueless midtable losers to stubborn, toxic dutch and portuguese has-beens.

Year Zero was December 2018. Even if Ole doesn't even finish this season, late 2018-winter 2019 was the turning point.
A gun pointed at you, and he said you have to choose, or fecking die!

Just choose one and strapped on the couch to watch every fking match from their reign!

Renegade

Give Mourinho Fergie's team and this mess never happens. There's your sliding doors moment.
Things might have looked different if we recruited better in the summer of 17. In hindsight Lindelof,Matic & Lukaku wasn’t great.

Imagine following up 16/17 with

VVD or Maguire and keeping Blind rather than signing Lindelof

A different CM or even trusting Herrera following that strong season he just had rather than spending 40m on Matic.

Signing Aubaymang rather than chasing Morata and Lukaku.

All players ready to move clubs that summer if I recall. Easier said with hindsight but then again I’m not a scout paid thousands and thousands to identify these players.

AndersB

I'd go Moyes. Not because of what we achieved, obviously, nor the football we played, but simply because it was the era closest to the SAF one, and one in which it made some sense to think that once we got an actually competent manager, we could steady the ship again. Gradually it has become clear that our issues are more deep-rooted, and we've spent zillions on square pegs for round holes that have done not much more than keeping our jersey revenues up.

A question of hope vs. numbness, I suppose.

(Things are getting somewhat more exciting this season, though.)

lysglimt

Scout
I never felt really really bad under LVG. I felt the team was quite ok - and we weren't too far away from the best. I just didn't like the football

But I never want to feel like I did in the last 7-8 months under Mourinho. The only time in my life I didn't look forward to the start of the new season and when I just didn't want to watch United-play.

EwanI Ted

LVG. Yeah it was dull, but at least there was the sense of something being built, in the first season anyway. We also had the odd flash of really good football that year, the best post Fergie, and that gave us something to cling on to. There was hope back then, even if it was eventually dashed by the end of the second season.

Moyes was just misery. Mourinho was like making a faustian pact where we agreed to put up with his shit football and off the pitch antics in exchange for Premier League success, only we got the shit football and the antics but not the success.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I’m tempted to say Moyes because we still had players from the Fergie era I absolutely loved.

I hated the the bunch of players under Jose even though he probably had the best tenure of the 3.

With LVG, everything just seemed so exciting at first. We had hope after the tragedy of the Moyes era, LVG came with Pedigree and we signed some exciting players (on paper). Obviously it turned out to be a bore fest.

I don’t know, I can’t pick.

Davicho

I will never understand why LGV changed completly the approach of the team from his first to his second season. We were playing 4-3-3 with pretty good results and football, the midfield of Carrick-Fellaini-Herrera was working well and in my opinion we just needed upgrades on Fellaini and in attack to get into the next level.Then he decides to sign Schneirdenlin, and Schwensteiger and change to a 4-2-3-1 that the players never felt comfortable. This was the beginning of the end of his United career IMO.

Man-United

Moyes

Because we had more likeable players back then like Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, RvP, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Rooney. Quite hard to find players to like the last few years more than a couple in every squad.

Lee565

LvG era, it's the only era where I was excited for matches against the top sides as I always believed we had a good chance of winning against them, where as Moyes had that abysmal top 4 record before coming to United and it pretty much was the same when he was our manager, Mourinho would constantly set up for bloody draws against the top sides and under Solskjear I struggle to see us getting wins against any top 6 side let alone against the top 4.

Grande

I’m quite happy with the direction we’re going thanks so I’m going to choose the “Ole era”
This.

But if it isn’t an alternative - LVG was the most inspiring at the beginning, and the least horrible at the end. I liked most of his philosophy, charm and player purchases, I just didn’t like the look of it on the turf, at all. The football was the most boring, and that’s saying something.

I think I’d actually take Mourinho. Mist of the time, he was quite amusing and reasonable in press conferences (well, about half of the time), some of the football was the best we played (some bits with Zlatan, Mkhi fir a few glimmers, the first third of the second season), and winning the Europa League, coming 2nd and, yes, beating City 3-2 away, ranks up there for football experiences. He probably also was the most detrimental, though. Probably.

clarkydaz

I will never understand why LGV changed completly the approach of the team from his first to his second season. We were playing 4-3-3 with pretty good results and football, the midfield of Carrick-Fellaini-Herrera was working well and in my opinion we just needed upgrades on Fellaini and in attack to get into the next level.Then he decides to sign Schneirdenlin, and Schwensteiger and change to a 4-2-3-1 that the players never felt comfortable. This was the beginning of the end of his United career IMO.
the leicester 5-3 defeat early on changed his outlook if I recall. We had DiMaria, Rooney, RVP and Falcao all playing. Things could have been so different :(

Champagne Football

This thread is like asking which dentist would you prefer to pull your teeth out without anesthetic.

They were all dour. It's impossible to decide who was worse between Van Gaal or Moyes. Both were their own horror movie. Some fans tried to pretend that Van Gaal was a lot of fun, to mask their inner pain and agony, but it was just denial.

Mourinho was slightly better, but the gut feeling is that he had a 3 year plan to get in, make 20 million, do whatever it takes to get fired by the 3rd year, and then take a year or two off with a fresh 20 million in the bank.

Davicho

the leicester 5-3 defeat early on changed his outlook if I recall. We had DiMaria, Rooney, RVP and Falcao all playing. Things could have been so different :(
Yes but he found his team after that... we were playing Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Young, Rooney, Mata as front six and the team was pretty solid defensively and fluid going forward. He could have signed some players to improve that XI, but not change completly the approach of the team.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Moyes for me.

I still remember defending our crap early season form as I expected us retain the league.

Moyes

Because we had more likeable players back then like Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, RvP, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Rooney. Quite hard to find players to like the last few years more than a couple in every squad.
This too.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

LVG's team and match against Spurs. He beat Liverpool too. When he was good early on he was good. He never was bad. He bored all of us including him to death.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
People are saying LVG! Do they not remember not scoring at home for a million hours. I'd literally put the game on and browse my phone it was so bad.

It would be Jose's period. It crashed and burned but the first season was fun with the Europa League win and 2nd in the league is the best we have been in that period.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Obviously Mourinho - multiple trophies, highest PL finish since Fergie...

Anyone saying otherwise is either willfully only remembering his 'meltdown' season after not being backed, or simply dislikes his personality.

Multiple trophies and higher PL finish than any of the others - easy choice.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
LVG. Despite the quite common boredom problem, I kinda felt there were some reasons for optimism during and just after that period, much more than I have since, I felt it seemed like it was the best chance to build.

Plus we had more likeable players then, I didn't care as little about them as a group as I do now. LVG had his fun moments, too.

First season Mourinho would be second choice.