Other Which shows would pass muster...

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
And which consigned to the dusty archives?

With the news that Little Britain is no longer on iPlayer, Netflix and Britbox:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52983319

What other shows will be removed from history and which ones still allowed?

Not sure how much of Monty Python would get through. The character who, until relatively recently I still thought was called Mrs Knickerbaiter, even though, to my knowledge, she never baited any knickers, would have to go. Despite being an appalling woman and ending up blowing up.

What about Family Guy? Which rips the piss out of all and sundry, without fear or favour.

You can include film, drama, light entertainment as well as comedy.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Gone with the Wind gone!

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

Gone with the Wind has been taken off HBO Max following calls for it to be removed from the US streaming service.

HBO Max said the 1939 film was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today".

It said the film would return to the platform at an unspecified date with a "discussion of its historical context".

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Gone with the Wind gone!

Gone with the Wind has been taken off HBO Max following calls for it to be removed from the US streaming service.

HBO Max said the 1939 film was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today".

It said the film would return to the platform at an unspecified date with a "discussion of its historical context".
This is the key sentence.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It will always depend where you set the bar. In the past decade or so, it's definitely become more common to cater to a most easily offended person's standard, rather than a reasonable person's standard.

If you're going to set the bar low enough, there's always going to be something objectionable you can find, especially in comedy.

Just off the top of my head:-
- In Airplane, you could easily argue that the gags of people killing themselves when Ted is droning on are offensive to people with mental health issues, along with a hundred other things you could probably come up with.
- Half the joke in Borat is "look how backwards this fecker from this country is". Can probably go in the 'using ethnicity as a costume' direction as well.
- Fools and Horses has characters talking about going to "the paki shop" and probably plenty of other things that were in common speech at the time that wouldn't be now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think most shows will be alright, especially those that are actually close to the bone like Family Guy or Always Sunny. Often they're making these kinds of jokes in a smart way through the characters idiocy and proving a point along the way. I think Sunny does that especially well.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Married with children would go down well nowadays.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
That was on Netflix?!

It's banned in Germany and can also be shown for educational purposes with commentary and discussion.
Nah. I was just making the point that most of the problematic material is likely to be where it should be, much in the way you describe. The popular streaming sites and mainstream channels show a very limited range of mainly recent releases. The problematic stuff is more likely to be covered by the more art concious channels, sites and release labels (TCM, Mubi, Eureka, etc.), who curate and intro their movies with these sensitivities in mind.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Married with children would go down well nowadays.
I loved that show. And surely the whole point of it is that Al, the most offensive character, is a moron.

Honest John

Gone with the Wind gone!

That's probably it for Tom and Jerry too..

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I always liked Benson where the Governor character was a dumbass and his black butler was the smartest guy in the room. I think it was a spinoff from Soap.

arnie_ni

Wasnt there a whole campaign to retire apu from the Simpsons?

DoomSlayer

Didn't they just remove the gun usage in Looney Tunes?

I'd say a lot of shows might get heat in the future for different reasons.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I loved that show. And surely the whole point of it is that Al, the most offensive character, is a moron.
I always rooted for him to get a win at least once :(

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At least he got those four touchdowns in one game, mate.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Watching Tom and Jerry is crucial for a child's development! Slapstick at its absolute finest. Also, nothing is funnier than this scream:

I can remember lots of racist images of black woman/cook/servant character in T&J cartoons that are completely inappropriate today. Doesn't help that I usually saw them on a show presented by Rolf Harris.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Mammy TwoShoes was repainted white and revoiced in the Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Most of the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were cut of the worst stuff or completely removed decades ago under order of Ted Turner.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea of just putting Gone With The Wind into context seems like common sense to me. It's a pretty standard approach to dealing with troublesome aspects of films when they're presented in other forms so no big change really.

The idea of getting rid of Little Britain entirely also seems like common sense to me, mostly because it's shite.

OleBoiii

I can remember lots of racist images of black woman/cook/servant character in T&J cartoons that are completely inappropriate today.
Really? I hardly remember anything. I remember a woman with a stereotypical black voice occasionally appearing and the very occasional blackface, but I reckon 90% of the episodes are fine. Just don't broadcast the remaining 10% and we're gold :D

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Dan Aykroyd blacked up for Trading Places and did a pretty ropey caricature of a Jamaican.

Is Coming To America in trouble seeing as it was directed and written by some white Jewish guys? Mostly black cast but are they doing what Hollywood Shuffle complains about? I mean, there's that scene in HS where everybody is doing their Eddie Murphy schtick at an audition.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Dan Aykroyd blacked up for Trading Places and did a pretty ropey caricature of a Jamaican.

Is Coming To America in trouble seeing as it was directed and written by some white Jewish guys? Mostly black cast but are they doing what Hollywood Shuffle complains about? I mean, there's that scene in HS where everybody is doing their Eddie Murphy schtick at an audition.
They're making a sequal so it can't be that troublesome.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think most shows will be alright, especially those that are actually close to the bone like Family Guy or Always Sunny. Often they're making these kinds of jokes in a smart way through the characters idiocy and proving a point along the way. I think Sunny does that especially well.
They've just pulled the Lethal Weapon episode of Sunny.

I thought the one of the main points of that episode was that blackface isn't acceptable.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They've just pulled the Lethal Weapon episode of Sunny.

I thought the one of the main points of that episode was that blackface isn't acceptable.
Weird. Yeah the whole point is that they shouldn’t have done it. Ah well.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I've been watching a lot of Three's Company over the last year. There is so much wrong with that show...homophobia, transphobia, obvious and gratuitous acts of sexual assault, etc. But I have fond memories of the show from my childhood and the chicks are hot so I don't mind. It's interesting to see how much mainstream society has changed since then.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Trading Places is a tricky one because it offers loads of anti-racial commentary based on the bet between the Dukes. Winthorpe blacking up had a specific purpose and, in the story, would appear to have sanctioned by Valentine, who was also playing a caricature.

The story for Coming to America was Eddie Murphy's. Who wrote the screenplay is largely irrlevant, surely. Also the production company was Murphy's, too.