Film Which supposedly great films or TV series have you tried to get through on multiple occasions?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh are we adding games? Then absolutely God of War (2016). I tried it twice and the most I got was 5 hours in.

The setting is great, but the characters are either boring or annoying, and the gameplay to me is just bland. It also has terrible menu design, with the pseudo-RPG elements adding little to the game overall.

I liked The Last of Us and Uncharted but I'll happily do battle on this hill.

Siorac

When I saw the thread title, my immediate thought was The Big Lebowski. I could never get through it - maybe there's a cultural divide or something.

I struggled through the first season of Mr Robot but after each episode I was less and less inclined to watch the next. It started promisingly with the idea of a vigilante hacker but then the plot became a big collection of clichés.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
When I saw the thread title, my immediate thought was The Big Lebowski. I could never get through it - maybe there's a cultural divide or something.

I struggled through the first season of Mr Robot but after each episode I was less and less inclined to watch the next. It started promisingly with the idea of a vigilante hacker but then the plot became a big collection of clichés.
That's a shame. Mr Robot is incredible, especially in later seasons

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Same. Although I will say that if I didn't have a pre-existing connection to the world from BB I probably would have fecked it off well before it got going.
Oh yea without question, it definitely rode the BB coattails and got way more patience from people than a stand-alone show would have done.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That's a shame. Mr Robot is incredible, especially in later seasons
Just to add to this, I gave up on Mr Robot early in season two when I felt it had gone weird, but was convinced by people on here (including Spanner) to give it another go and I’m glad I did, it’s up there with the best ever shows as an overall piece of work.

Minor dip in early season two aside, very consistent and superbly written and acted. There’s an episode in the final season where there’s maybe only a dozen lines of dialogue in the whole episode and it’s one of the most tense 45 minutes of tv ever, it was incredible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Breaking Bad for me - the first few episodes I found to be incredibly boring and I had absolutely no interest in watching any more.

laughtersassassin

Better Call Saul. Loved Breaking Bad and usually not adverse to slow build shows or whatever, but I go through 3 seasons of that before reluctantly giving up. 3 seasons of teasing stuff only for it to be undone the next episode or at the start of the next season.
Your missing out mate. The seasons now easily rival Breaking Bad.

stu_1992

Your missing out mate. The seasons now easily rival Breaking Bad.
I have heard that from at least one person, but then again I feel like I heard that at every season that I did watch. 3 I felt was more than giving it a chance. As others have said since, I would have long given up if it wasn't for the connection to BB before we even got to that point. At which would you say it begins to rival breaking bad?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gave up on:
The Wire season 2 (might go back)
Money Heist season 1
Lupin season 1
Better Call Saul season 5 (will go back)

I'm not big on shows to be fair. I lose interest easily but I was surprised that season 2 of The Wire felt that flat compared to season 1 (which was really good).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Better Call Saul. Loved Breaking Bad and usually not adverse to slow build shows or whatever, but I go through 3 seasons of that before reluctantly giving up. 3 seasons of teasing stuff only for it to be undone the next episode or at the start of the next season.
Breaking Bad is my numerous uno and while I did thoroughly enjoy BCS (till season 5 where I left it), I think they took the realistic/slow thing a tad too far. Still a very well written show. I intend to finish it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Peaky Blinders. Just not sure why I should care who does what to who on that.

Breaking Bad. One of the great near misses for me. I liked the concept, I liked the opening, I've never got anywhere in the series. I even tried skipping a few episodes in case there was a sub-plot interfering with my enjoyment. But nah, didn't really get hooked :smirk:

laughtersassassin

I have heard that from at least one person, but then again I feel like I heard that at every season that I did watch. 3 I felt was more than giving it a chance. As others have said since, I would have long given up if it wasn't for the connection to BB before we even got to that point. At which would you say it begins to rival breaking bad?
I think by season 4 and 5 it basically becomes very close to breaking bad as shit begins to unravel.

That said I loved 1-3 where it was an entirely different style of show too.

But the last season especially is very similar to breaking bad

Withnail

Peaky Blinders. The attempted accents are just too horrendous to sit through.
This!

So distracting and everyone's accent was different. I just wanted to punch them all.

It would have been ok if they all had the same accent even if it was crap attempt.

Also Breaking Bad. I hated Jesse's character and didn't buy Walt's turn at all. It all just seemed ridiculous. Probably didn't help that two of my stoner mates had been building it up for ages, telling me how amazing it was. They are also a lot easier to impress than me so in hindsight it was always going to disappoint.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Marvel movies and Lord of the Rings also for me, can't get into these movies at all and feel they are horrible writing.

But I'll put up Mad Max Fury Road. So many plot holes and completely illogical world-building I can't even make it through. I get its all about heavy metal visuals but I just can't do the obvious and blatant nonsensical writing in that one. Probably, IMO, one of the most overrated movies of all time.

stu_1992

Breaking Bad is my numerous uno and while I did thoroughly enjoy BCS (till season 5 where I left it), I think they took the realistic/slow thing a tad too far. Still a very well written show. I intend to finish it.
Yeah Breaking is probably tied for my number 1. I'm not sure I'll ever finishing Better Call Saul though. A part of me thinks ill give in eventually as I want to love it so badly, but right now I'm being stubborn over it. :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
2nd season of The Terror, 100, Gotham.

Still watching The Walking Dead, for how long more, I really don't know...

JoaquinJoaquin

Breaking Bad for me - the first few episodes I found to be incredibly boring and I had absolutely no interest in watching any more.
Some of Breaking Bad was horrendous I admit. 1 of the seasons felt like it went on for 6 years, but the build up to the end of the show and the final season were so good it kind of balances out the bad.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Money Heist
Peaky Blinders
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Sons of Anarchy
Good Girls
The Last Of Us (game)
Unchartered (game)

@OleBoiii Cowboy Bebop is amazing, the episodes are less episodic later in the series.