Which traditionally big team is most likely to be relegated?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a rare occurance but some big teams or teams who were at the top of the league end up getting relegated. Nottingham Forest and Leeds are two examples.

Who is most likely to go down from the current crop of big teams/teams who have been very successful?

From the current crop I would say Arsenal or Everton. Maybe Newcastle if the takeover doesn't happen (not sure if they should count though)

Perhaps even teams like AC Milan or Monaco could go down if they fall on hard times.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Newcastle definitely shouldn't count, they haven't won a meaningful trophy in 65 years, and it's 93 years since their last league title. Plus they've been relegated a few times in the 2000s already.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Newcastle definitely shouldn't count, they haven't won a meaningful trophy in 65 years, and it's 93 years since their last league title. Plus they've been relegated a few times in the 2000s already.
Yeah fair enough, I guess they only count as a big team in terms of support.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah fair enough, I guess they only count as a big team in terms of support.
For the record I'd say I think Everton would be the most likely to go down, although I think all the traditionally big clubs are a bit too wealthy to go down barring a perfect storm.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Monaco aren't a good example, they went down less than 10 years ago. In France Saint-Etienne and maybe Bordeaux should be the examples, with the ASSE being very close this year.

crossy1686

career ending
Arsenal are a sacking Arteta away from being a bottom half team. I reckon they could find themselves in real trouble in about 5 years time if they make a series of bad decisions over the next couple of years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Currently it’s got to be Arsenal. They are a shambles. They’ve gone in a few different directions in the market recently and nothing is really coming off for them. Spurs could also easily end up bottom half in the next year or 2 if they follow Jose down the dark path.

IRELANDUNITED

Tottenham are in danger of becoming a bottom half team if the likes of Kane and Son leave.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going back to the 90s Everton really rode their luck, stayed up on last day twice. Even in early 00s they were pretty poor.

I did actually think the way they were going this season they were in serious trouble but sacking Silva and getting in Ancelotti solved all that and now they look a lower top half standard team again.

You've got to recruit really badly for things to quickly fall apart. Take us. Went from three years finishing 6th with likes of Carew, Young, Agbonlahor, Milner, Downing.

Sold them all, replaced them with Stephen Ireland, Nzogbia and a whole host of random players from league 1 and 2 and were fighting relegation within 3 seasons.

Spurs also had a dodgy period where they sold Keane, Defoe and Berbatov within six months, replaced them with likes of Frazier Campbell and Gio Dos Santos and spent much of the following season battling relegation.

YOu have to be really really bad though and continually make terrible signings every transfer window for about 2 years. Man. United classic case. That relegation thread that was bumped the other day from October/November, now Man. United look on course for a 60 point + top 5 season.

Probably the nearest is someone like West Ham. Expensive squad, playing in soulless big stadium and really lacking in identity now so could go down this season or in next few years if they don't get a good manager in. They have been relegated twice in last 20 years though, same as Newcastle.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just had a look at Serie A table, Fiorentina seem to have spent much of the season hovering in bottom half, clear of relegation zone but still in proximity if they had a really bad run.

Only drew 1-1 at home to brescia the other day. Six points clear of Leece so they should be alright but only won once in last eight games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Monaco aren't a good example, they went down less than 10 years ago. In France Saint-Etienne and maybe Bordeaux should be the examples, with the ASSE being very close this year.
Marseille were very close to going down one season in late 90s, think they stayed up on GD on last day. I know they went down earlier for the match fixing but that was just like Juventus so not really counted.

JPRouve

Scout
Marseille were very close to going down one season in late 90s, think they stayed up on GD on last day. I know they went down earlier for the match fixing but that was just like Juventus so not really counted.
Marseille weren't solid financially so it's really not like Juventus for them going down was like any other club, it really counts.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just had a look at Serie A table, Fiorentina seem to have spent much of the season hovering in bottom half, clear of relegation zone but still in proximity if they had a really bad run.

Only drew 1-1 at home to brescia the other day. Six points clear of Leece so they should be alright but only won once in last eight games.
I'm not sure if they are a "traditionally big team" though. Even with Batistuta & Rui Costa and still only managed to win the cup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm not sure if they are a "traditionally big team" though. Even with Batistuta & Rui Costa and still only managed to win the cup.
One of the top 6-7 in Italy surely? Were regular CL/europa league qualifiers not so long ago.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of the top 6-7 in Italy surely? Were regular CL/europa league qualifiers not so long ago.
Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio are way ahead. Napoli is probably bigger (thanks to Maradona). I'd have them somewhere around Torino (since their domination was too long ago) & Sampdoria, although, of course they have a bonus of representing Florence. Not sure if this fits into the "traditionally big" — more like traditionally midtable with some good spells?

JPRouve

Scout
Historically? No. Milan, Inter, Napoli, Juventus, Roma, Lazio, Torino, Genoa and at least Bologna are above them but recently you could argue that they are the 7th.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
No one from the top six is going down now or in a 100 years time. Arsenal is the weakest in around 30 years and yet we're 9th with a 60m a year Adidas deal just about to start. The top six are just too big to fail. And I suspect if and when Leeds find their way back up to the top tier they'll also be here to stay.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No one from the top six is going down now or in a 100 years time. Arsenal is the weakest in around 30 years and yet we're 9th with a 60m a year Adidas deal just about to start. The top six are just too big to fail. And I suspect if and when Leeds find their way back up to the top tier they'll also be here to stay.
Lad theres a solid chance you finish in the bottom half this season.

I look at arsenal and o genuinely think you're 1 or 2 bad transfer windows away from being just above relegation. Your 60million a year Adidas deal means nothing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio are way ahead. Napoli is probably bigger (thanks to Maradona). I'd have them somewhere around Torino (since their domination was too long ago) & Sampdoria, although, of course they have a bonus of representing Florence. Not sure if this fits into the "traditionally big" — more like traditionally midtable with some good spells?
Batistuta nearly did for Viola what Maradona did in late 80s, think they were leading Serie A in 98/99 under Trapattoni around Feb/March and he did his hamstring and they lost momentum. Beat likes of Arsenal and Man. United the next season in CL before crashing and burning for a few years.

Pretty similar to Napoli who also really declined in late 90s. Both won Serie A twice and 6 coppa italias. Both have a european title. Yeah Sampdoria are pretty big aswell, had an amazing team in early 90s that won Serie A and were close to winning european cup but litttle since. Not having Genoa or Bologna, mid range clubs.

Brightonian

Arsenal suddenly look like a fragile shell of a team. There's just nothing there. They've been hollowed out. Decent crop of youngsters coming through at the moment but into what? Aubameyang is the only senior player I'd even bother taking from them, and he's on his way out this summer (if he's got any sense, anyway.)

There's a vertiginous drop ahead of them if they don't start doing things very right, very soon.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Out of the top English clubs I'd say Arsenal are the worst, they've been struggling for years now. Not a chance they'd get relegated but they are the worst of the bunch.
West Ham and Everton for the next tier down

United58

Arsenal suddenly look like a fragile shell of a team. There's just nothing there. They've been hollowed out. Decent crop of youngsters coming through at the moment but into what? Aubameyang is the only senior player I'd even bother taking from them, and he's on his way out this summer (if he's got any sense, anyway.)

There's a vertiginous drop ahead of them if they don't start doing things very right, very soon.
Where have you been the past 10 years? :lol:

RyRoc

Lad theres a solid chance you finish in the bottom half this season.

I look at arsenal and o genuinely think you're 1 or 2 bad transfer windows away from being just above relegation. Your 60million a year Adidas deal means nothing.
Might finish in the bottom half and are still 16 points off relegation in Arsenal's worse season in 30 years. That's the point the guy was making, the thread is asking what teams could get relegated , yet in the very worse version of Arsenal they are nowhere near getting relegated. You talk about 1 or 2 bad transfer windows , in all honestly they've probably had about 4 or 5 of those in the last few years and it's only this season they are outside of the top 6. In short , there's absolutely no chance of Arsenal or anyone else in the top 6 getting relegated anytime soon.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would say AC Milan, not a single drastic season, just succumbing to a slow slide to a fateful season.

They have very average players, and even now are only 15 or so points away from relegation. It would be very easy to lose 1-2 games more per season. They no longer have the special talents to get them out of trouble in a particularly bad season.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You would think Arsenal or Everton but history tells a different story as those two teams have been up longer than anyone. It’s remarkable how none have them have been sent down in the last 60 odd years.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Might finish in the bottom half and are still 16 points off relegation in Arsenal's worse season in 30 years. That's the point the guy was making, the thread is asking what teams could get relegated , yet in the very worse version of Arsenal they are nowhere near getting relegated. You talk about 1 or 2 bad transfer windows , in all honestly they've probably had about 4 or 5 of those in the last few years and it's only this season they are outside of the top 6. In short , there's absolutely no chance of Arsenal or anyone else in the top 6 getting relegated anytime soon.
Hate to break to you, but Arsenal aren't a top 6 team anymore. Not even top 8.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You would think Arsenal or Everton but history tells a different story as those two teams have been up longer than anyone. It’s remarkable how none have them have been sent down in the last 60 odd years.
We flirt with it too much. We're definitely in danger of being one of those clubs that spends loads, has a massive wage budget and then gets absolutely fecked if we don't buck up our ideas sharpish.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
In England you would have to say Arsenal but a lot of things would still need to happen for them to actually get relegated. For me, it would take something like - a) losing Auba, b) sacking Arteta and replace him with a clown c) long term injuries to the Leno, Pepe (who I think will be a ok player next year) and Lacazette. d) buy really badly again.

So, whilst they are most likely, I still think it would take something extraordinary for it to actually happen.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I really think in England, Arsenal are most likely to go down first. They're relying too much on their youth, none of whom (bar Saka and Martinelli) seem like players who'd play in top 12 teams in the league. Their owners don't seem like the ones who would splash the cash if things became bad, and you have to wonder the current crop of players would like to wait and see how things develop. And the thing is I just don't see Arsenal getting insane amounts for any of these players that they can potentially reinvest into the side.
It won't be an overnight fall into the abyss, but once you're no longer in the top 10-12, you will get pulled into the relegation battle one year or the other.

matys

Do Leicester count as a big team? They've spent 53 seasons in the top flight, 24th place on the all-time list, only 3 less then Notthingam, plus need to factor in their recent success. If so, I can see them as potential relegation candidate in the next couple of years. They've done fantastic job selecting right players and managers over the last couple of years, but 2-3 bad transfer windows, drop in form of key players and you suddenly fight to stay up. I don't know about their finances, but would they be able to go on a shopping spree if necessary and fork out milions if needed? For a club like them it's definitely more likely to fall from the top than to climb on it.

Reactions: Penna

RyRoc

Where have you been the past 10 years? :lol:
Hate to break to you, but Arsenal aren't a top 6 team anymore. Not even top 8.
So because for the first time since 1995 Arsenal are likely to finish outside the top 6, they are just all of a sudden not considered as the top 6 or even top 8 anymore despite the fact since Fergie retired they’ve only once finished behind United in the league?

I actually agree that Arsenal could potentially really struggle in the next few years but there’s a big difference between arguing whether they will make the top 6 and whether they will be relegated which is what you’re suggesting.