Which was better: Garnacho or Rooneys overhead kick?

Which overhead kick was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LInkash

I usually place a lot of importance on the occasion but Garnacho's goals has transcended occasion for me, I'm still in disbelief at how good it was

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
It was a standard shite Dalot cross, made good by an outrageous attempt from Garnacho.
Agreed. It was a terrible cross, way over everyone, too long and maybe heading out for a throw in if not stopped. Lindelof's pass to Rashford to start it off was excellent though.

I'm just happy enough to have been able to enjoy United scoring two sensational overhead kicks without unintentionally devaluing one of them as being 'not as good as' the other and am loving lapping up all the superlatives from across football for yesterday's.

quadrant

I think Rooney's is just more iconic. Same way we've had loads of spectacular goals from the half-way line over the years, but Beckham's remains the best.

RedDevil@84

If we look just the goal, Garnacho is better. A crap cross from Dalot. Garnacho ran away from the goal and timed it to tee. Just brilliant.
But put context like late in a derby in a title winning run, then Rooney's goal is just iconic.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Off topic here but Gareth Bale's bicycle kick is the best of all time and Ronaldo's was only rated above it because it was scored by Ronaldo.

To do that in a champions league final is something else

tomaldinho1

Off topic here but Gareth Bale's bicycle kick is the best of all time and Ronaldo's was only rated above it because it was scored by Ronaldo.

To do that in a champions league final is something else
I dunno, they're all - Ronaldo, Bale, Garnacho, Rooney - phenomenal. Ronaldo's was more about the insane height he managed to connect with the ball at versus all the others. I probably prefer Rooney's still, more of a bullet finish into the top corner and from someone who looks so unathletic as well.

Marwood

The answer is Trevor Sinclairs effort. Still the best I've seen including Garnacho's.

Wilt

Without doubt Rooney’s iconic match winning strike against City.

Garnacho’s impressive strike against relegation fodder has nowhere near the same impact.

United Hobbit

Both absolutely fantastic goals, however I think Rooney's is possibly being slightly affected by the context as it was in a bigger game and meant a huge amount - it was a Derby against the noisy neighbours so of course the impact will be even greater

However if both were based solely on the technique and "wow" impact of the goal I'd say Garnacho's slightly shades it due to further distance traveled, extra power and the connection was perfect

I reckon both could try 100 times over to recreate it and I don't think they would succeed as the goals were both that good

mikeyt

Both great goals and great technique. Has to be Rooneys though as others have said, due to the situation

TehRed

I'd agree with the opinion that Garnacho's was the more impressive and clean strike from a technical standpoint, but Rooney's was more important given the occasion and the opponent. Overall, I'd rather have Rooney's goal for it's importance, but Garnacho's was nicer to look at.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Garnacho's was clearly better, no question.

Trevor Sinclair's is probably the best I've seen though.

Hughie77

There has been 2 goals that I've gone speechless to what have I just seen...Garnacho was the best and G. Bale in CL final over head kick ....but Garnacho was best I've seen ... goal of the decade for me .. going to have to be a belter to beat it

always_hoping

It was a standard shite Dalot cross, made good by an outrageous attempt from Garnacho.
Judging goals on the standard of the cross then It's Rooney's goal as Nani cross took a defection. Ferguson afterwards was right the goal was so good that people will forget the first goal scored by Nani.

SAFMUTD

Based on the pure goal it's Garnacho's, the way he hits the ball, the distance and the colocation of this shot simply a master piece.

Considering the circumstances, the rival and the pressure of the game then it's Rooney's.

crossy1686

career ending
Purely on the goal, it’s Garnacho, but when you take into account occasion, the opponent, the game etc, it’s Rooney.

Best ever though, Sinclair for sure, then Bale, then Garnacho, then Rooney, then Ronaldo.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I actually think Garnachos was 'easier', in a way. He had a long time to get the trajectory right, he's running in the same direction as the ball so that helps with timing. Rooney had to properly elevate himself way off the ground, in amongst the City CBs. So that, along with it being vs City, is why I voted Rooneys.

What I will say is that Garnacho had better technique as it came off his laces. So if you go technique some then it's Garnacho, but to show still remarkable technique under pressure, along with such bravery, is what takes Rooneys up a level for me.

Captmfla

Garnacho's goal is way lower. Looks more like a scissor kick than a bicycle kick.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
The Garnacho one is more difficult. The Rooney one is slightly more easy because the cross had been deflected and the trajectory became steep to anticipate. The Garnacho one is a textbook overhead kick which will be replayed numerous time afterward.

Jordi Cruyff 99

It couldn't have been much better than that. He executed it perfectly, but Rooney's was in a much more important moment, so it goes to him because otherwise we are splitting hairs anyway. Rivaldo's overhead kick against Valencia in 2001 is still my favourite out of all of them, and it's not close. Barcelona wouldn't have qualified for the CL without it. Three goals in the match from Rivaldo, and scored it in the dying minutes to win the match. He had to control a pacey ball on the chest, propping it upward, and then the power from outside the box. It was maybe the best goal I have ever seen. What a player Rivaldo was.

van Nistelrooy

An overhead kick winner against City at Old Trafford... doesn't get much better than that. However...

As much as I appreciate it as an incredible goal; I've never been the biggest lover of Rooney's overhead. Always felt it came too high off his shin, making it more fortunate than skill.

Garnacho's... I haven't seen it slow enough, but suspect it may also be more contact with the shin than boot. Although, it's the movement a few yards out whilst watching the ball, which makes it better than Rooney's for me.

It's the same old debate, like who's halfway-line strike was better... Beckham vs Rooney etc. At the end of the day, you've scored a rare and amazing overhead/halfway goal. You're part of history. Enjoy the moment!

doughole

I prefer skillful creative team goals than long shots or over head kicks.

All or nothing looks good when it comes off, but a great team goal is much more than that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Garnachos is unbelievable…the distance, the fact he has to run away from goal to line it up. Utterly ridiculous

Westerkerk

Technically both great goals but I'll always remember Rooney's due the occasion, and unless I'm mistaken, Mike Summerbee was a pundit on Sky that day and was absolutely bitter as hell after full time when talking about the result and the goal. Loved that.

RedUnited86

Technically both great goals but I'll always remember Rooney's due the occasion, and unless I'm mistaken, Mike Summerbee was a pundit on Sky that day and was absolutely bitter as hell after full time when talking about the result and the goal. Loved that.
:lol: :lol: so true, looked like he'd sucked on a lemon that day. Lovely stuff