Which was better: Garnacho or Rooneys overhead kick?

Which overhead kick was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Garnacho's was cleaner but you can't beat the occasion for Rooney's so he get's it for me.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Rooney due to the size and importance of the match

plus I was in the stands right behind the goal

Dannn411

Nacho's for technique reasons.

Rooney's for the sheer importance of the goal and the gravity of the occassion in which he scored it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have always had Rooneys goal as the greatest premier league goal of all time. The occasion, the context behind it and the power in which he strikes it is outrageous. Garnachos doesn’t have quite the same context and glamour but my lord as overhead kicks go I think that’s the best I’ve ever seen. The distance from goal and the connection into the top corner are insane. Bale and Ronaldo both hit theirs with more power but I’m not convinced either was as hard as this Garnacho one.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Robinho had not only joined City prior to that goal, he had also left them again.
I know. But the stigma was still strong at the time that they were oil funded joke of a club. Not even seen in the same level as Chelsea. Not yet.
Don't agree with this at all. City hadn't established themselves yet, but that was a team with the likes of David Silva and Yaya Touré in it, they were definitely seen as the up and coming challengers. Let's not forget Rooney had shocked the entire club and fanbase by wanting to join City at the start of that season.

It was basically Rooney redeeming himself for that transfer saga, the poor season by his standards and even a poor game up to that moment, and a big blow to City in the title race. The context was so much greater than yesterday's game.

It's a moment I still revisit regularly, while I doubt I'll be doing the same for Garnacho's goal, as good as it. It's like Mkhitaryan's ridiculous scorpion goal, I often forget that ever happened.
If we talk about Rooney redeeming himself then yeah I agree that was a very special moment. Like a big feck you to City. However as you said they hadn't established themselves. Therefore it was not a big game in a sense of a game between two title challengers. They finished 11 pts behind us that season. Next season is where they started getting annoying (and they won it...). But them in that incomplete state (and us having Sir Alex) vs Everton side who were basically fighting for their lives makes Garnacho's even harder to pull off... considering the state we're in. That's why Garnacho edges it for me.

Maybe it's just me but I've always believed we were gonna win that one match against City. Whereas this season confidence is pretty low.

Last edited:
I have always had Rooneys goal as the greatest premier league goal of all time. The occasion, the context behind it and the power in which he strikes it is outrageous. Garnachos doesn’t have quite the same context and glamour but my lord as overhead kicks go I think that’s the best I’ve ever seen. The distance from goal and the connection into the top corner are insane. Bale and Ronaldo both hit theirs with more power but I’m not convinced either was as hard as this Garnacho one.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree. City at the time were still seen as a joke. And United were always the favorites. It was the time when you just know the universe will have it's way where United win against the oil money club neighbor, where Robinho didn't even know he was joining them.
On the contrary this was the season when City actually started becoming a serious challenger (first time they finished Top4 and won the cup) so keeping them in their place for a while longer was especially important

Roosney

Technically it's Garnacho, perfect overhead kick, although Rooney's goal was against city and seemed more explosive and powerful. Can't decide.

justboy68

Garnacho's the better goal, Rooney's in the much bigger moment. Both absolute worldies that will make highlight reels forever.

matt10000

Garnachos technically better, had to run away from goal to get to the ball, completely pre meditated not just instinctive.

Rooney’s importance and timing of game etc. more significant

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Surely Rooney’s because context matters, it’s the business end of the season, it’s a title race, it’s away from home against a top team. Garnacho’s goal was great but it’s a standard game in a season we probably finish 6th.

Parma Dewol

I'm of the opinion Garnacho's was the better technique, but I'll prefer Rooney's because of the occasion.

Context matters to me, hence why Trevor Sinclair isn't part of the debate.

Lentwood

I voted Rooney.

Nothing in it really, but thought process was that despite Garnacho having to 'fetch it' from further behind him he saw it all the way and picked the trajectory early.

The cross for Rooney's effort was deflected and looped into the air, causing him to have to adjust mid-flight. It sort of dropped on him, as opposed to the Dalot cross which followed a straight trajectory...so I think the Rooney effort was marginally, marginally harder....and...it rocketed into the net with more power, which looked great!

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Obviously Rooney's was a "heavier" goal and his confidence to take it on is to be admired but the level of athleticism and timing gives a clear edge to Garnacho who connected with the intended part of the foot which Rooney patently did not.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Technically, Garnacho by a country mile. The Nani cross was deflected and looping in the air which gave Rooney plenty of time to get a measure and he still hit it with his shin. Garnacho on the other hand, took it off a direct cross fired in from the right flank and hit it with his boot with less time to react.

Mike Smalling

Nacho's for technique reasons.

Rooney's for the sheer importance of the goal and the gravity of the occassion in which he scored it.
Yeah, this. Rooney's was to win a Manchester derby at a time, where Man City where on the rise. Garnacho's was to beat a struggling Everton side.

On technique, I'd pick Garnacho, but I doubt it will be remembered in the same way as Rooney's.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Saw em both live (on tv). Berba’s too. The Rooney one … won the derby. Keeper never moved. Cross was from deeper. Celebrations were maniac. Mine included. Garnacho- great move before. Beautiful cross by Dalot. Very far out. Pickford tried. Cleaner connection by Garna… it ranks as one of the best goals i have ever witnessed. Also … the stunned vibe afterwards in what was a boiling bear pit before. Great.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Everyone says about the occasion of the Rooney goal which is obviously fair enough, but I'd argue that Garnacho's is an occasion in of itself.

The Everton crowd already reeling after a 10 point deduction and well behind the team from the first whistle making for an incredible atmosphere. Just imagine the reaction of the crowd if it went wrong and resulted in a counter. Just to try it in those circumstances is ballsy. It had the double effect of putting us in front and stunning the crowd into absolute silence, nullifying Evertons 12th man for the game.

The technique is undisputedly better and the circumstances to even attempt it are incredible as well. In my opinion, it's the much superior goal

Oranges038

On reflection, they are both great.

Nani's cross took a deflection and Rooney had to totally adjust his body movement to deal with it. Incredibly difficult to do.

Garnacho had to go backwards to deal with a shite cross, but he had a bit more time to adjust and make up his mind.

I'd say Rooney's was slightly harder to execute, based off the deflection, I'll go with Rooney.

Oranges038

Saw em both live (on tv). Berba’s too. The Rooney one … won the derby. Keeper never moved. Cross was from deeper. Celebrations were maniac. Mine included. Garnacho- great move before. Beautiful cross by Dalot. Very far out. Pickford tried. Cleaner connection by Garna… it ranks as one of the best goals i have ever witnessed. Also … the stunned vibe afterwards in what was a boiling bear pit before. Great.
It was a standard shite Dalot cross, made good by an outrageous attempt from Garnacho.

CallyRed

Rooney with the most acrobatic shin of all time sneaks it for me.

Pughnichi

Easily Garnacho’s

it’s not even close

it doesn’t come off his shin for a start

and the amount of ground he has to cover to even get there is crazy. Rooney’s popped up nicely for him and he only really had to change his body shape…not chase after the bloomin thing

The fact Rooney’s was against Citeh I think helps it

Micky Targaryen

Garnacho’s technique was better. Dalot’s cross was going behind him so he had to track back and connected it spot on with his foot.

Rooney’s goal was bigger though. Larger pressure against our biggest rival in a cup competition. Context matters.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
For technique it's definitely Garnacho's, but Rooney's was better for me. Winning the derby with a moment like that and then getting to watch Mike Summerbee in the Sky Sports studio moaning and grumping. "City were better." No they weren't, here are the stats. "I don't care about stats. City were better. Rooney shinned it. Wah wah wah."

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rooney shinning it ruined the goal, it was a bit like finding out he murdered someone before the game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don’t get the point in comparing. Rooneys was a bigger moment. Garnacho’s a better goal.

Rockets Redglare

Both amazing goals, I prefer Garnacho’s but Rooney’s was against that mob which obviously puts it up a few notches.

Although my favourite overhead kick for United is actually Berbatov’s against the scousers anyway.

el3mel

I think Garnacho's was harder but it's hard to beat Rooney's considering its value, winning United a derby with style like this.