Which was better: Garnacho or Rooneys overhead kick?

Which overhead kick was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LInkash

Think it's Garnacho's.

With Rooney's, I wasn't thinking that it's the greatest goal I had ever seen.

With this, I was dumbfounded at how ridiculously good it was and that it might be the greatest goal I have ever seen and will ever see.

Might be recency bias and the utter shock that a player in our current team is capable of something like that though.

Grande

Rooney’s was a belter, boom, to decide a difficult away game to our rivals. That’s brilliant and unforgettable.

This was so wonderfully taken, surprising as well, as the ball was way too far behind him, the strike was so clean and it goes above the keeper under the crossbar. It’s a dream goal.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Rooney hit it with his shin. Looks like Garnacho hit is with the laces.

Dominos

If we're discounting the occasion and importance of the goal, then Garnacho's must be better I think.

Garnacho was running away from the goal to reach the ball, and the distance was further.

The only thing Rooney might have in his favour is the power on the strike is impressive, past the goalkeeper before he knew there was a shot, but that may be because it was closer to goal it looks more powerful. A lot of overhead goals are more "loopy" strikes, Rooney's was a rocket.

L1nk

In terms of occasion then it's Rooney's

In terms of harder to pull off I think it's Garnacho's.

Rooney basically stood still as the ball was coming right to him and it was closer to goal, Garnacho had to run away from goal slightly to connect to it and it was further away. Both incredible though.

owlo

Garnacho's, no doubt. Rooney wins the pantomime though.

BorisManUtd

Rooney's was more important as it was a winner against city rivals but seems like Garnacho had to take few steps back to take it so think his was better.

always_hoping

Rooney given it was Manchester Derby and the match winner. Was lucky enough be in attendance to see it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Rooney’s, easily.

Both stunning goals, but Rooney’s is done in a huge game rather than against relegation fodder - that context does matter, a lot.

Even outside the context, I just prefer Rooney’s.

illotr

On paper, Garnacho's should be technically more difficult since the ball was going away from the goal with pace whereas in Rooney's case the cross was vaguely towards goal direction and much slowed down after the deflection. So Garnacho had to run back and made more adjustments to get in shooting position. But Rooney just had an inexplicable aesthetics in his plays when he was young. It sounds weird since Rooney never had the ideal elite male athlete physique. But he just moved differently on the pitch than others before he lost his legs, like he could generate more power with much less momentum compared to other players. And Rooney was more in control with his body in air while Garnacho was like a wild teenager with his arms flinging around. For these reasons I probably like Rooney's a little better but both are unbelievable goals and I feel privileged to witness them both live.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Garnacho's was technically and aesthetically better, but Rooney's being late in a derby obviously made it the bigger goal by a mile.

Nice to have positives to debate for once, rather than who was shitter out of McTominay and Dalot etc...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Mine was better when I was trialing for Bayer Leverkusen when they held U-15 competitions around Asia. Top right corner, the tall keeper managed to get his hand on it but the shot was very powerful it sent him flying.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Garnacho's was the better strike from a technical point of view. But when viewed in the context of the occasions, Rooney's still wins for me.

ForeverRed1

Both goals are greats but the technicality of garnachos yesterday, the way he had to run back for it and then hit it so clean was obscene. It genuinely left me speechless

FriedClams

I made this point earlier, but the story behind garnachos goal elevates it way beyond Rooneys IMO. City were still small time back then, hadn't won the league yet...Today, Everton are coming off the back of their points deduction and that goal just killed the early atmosphere they could have created. Technique wise, todays goal is better without question, he had to backtrack, was further out and made cleaner contact.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I really can’t make up my mind here. Rooney one was more iconic as it looks perfectly executed, but Garnacho one is out of nowhere and looks more impossible to me the moment it happens.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I made this point earlier, but the story behind garnachos goal elevates it way beyond Rooneys IMO. City were still small time back then, hadn't won the league yet...Today, Everton are coming off the back of their points deduction and that goal just killed the early atmosphere they could have created. Technique wise, todays goal is better without question, he had to backtrack, was further out and made cleaner contact.
I agree. City at the time were still seen as a joke. And United were always the favorites. It was the time when you just know the universe will have it's way where United win against the oil money club neighbor, where Robinho didn't even know he was joining them.

Geistman

Technically I think Garnacho edges it, I remember Rooney somewhat shinned it (doesn't matter) and Nani's cross had also taken a deflection whereas Dalot's cross was unimpeded and Garnacho's connection was pure. However in the context of each match, I screamed louder for Rooney's goal.

Strelok

Think the Rooney's is better because the ball took a slight deflect and he had to readjust. And against those fecking scumbags. Bigger match bigger moment imo. I still remember it felt surreal when he scored that goal.

Cloud7

Rooney’s was more impactful in that it was against City at a time when we really needed that.

However Garnacho’s was a cleaner strike, so going in pure football terms, it would be Garnacho’s

Scottynaldinho

What's great is that with this goal, we're becoming the Mecca of overhead kicks. It will encourage players in future to try and score one for us.

Jev

Garnacho’s is clearly better. It’s further from the goal, he has to run towards it, and he hits it cleaner than Rooney. But obviously Rooney’s is way more iconic due to the circumstances and the one we will still remember in 30 years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Story behind Rooney's was much bigger than a game vs Everton.

Rooney tried to leave ManUtd and join City, there was lot of noise about the power shift with ManUtd's best player trying to join City. It was first derby and in that season itself, with Rooney performing poorly for half a season and then completely a different player in the second half. This goal was like a redemption.

whitbyviking

From a technical point of view I’d say Garnacho’s. From a situational point of view I’d say Rooney’s, although given the form we are in and the negativity around the club Garnacho’s could be equal, from the point of view it gives the club a lift at this time when everything seems to be going to ratschit

Jev

That’s an absurd logic, sorry. Rooney’s was a late winner in a late-season derby against our neighbours who were at that point right behind us in a very tight title race. Rooney is also one of the biggest icons in the club’s history and the goal was redemption for wanting to leave for City before the season. In what world does a random game against Everton in a write-off season, with them having had a points deduction which won’t matter at the end of the season, even come close to matching that story?

Last edited:

Matt007a

Garnacho’s is the better goal from a technical point of view. He’s further out and makes cleaner contact with it.

Rooney’s was a bigger goal against a rival when we are fighting for a title.

Both incredible goals but I think Rooneys will always be more iconic and last longer in the memory.

Ainu

I agree. City at the time were still seen as a joke. And United were always the favorites. It was the time when you just know the universe will have it's way where United win against the oil money club neighbor, where Robinho didn't even know he was joining them.
Don't agree with this at all. City hadn't established themselves yet, but that was a team with the likes of David Silva and Yaya Touré in it, they were definitely seen as the up and coming challengers. Let's not forget Rooney had shocked the entire club and fanbase by wanting to join City at the start of that season.

It was basically Rooney redeeming himself for that transfer saga, the poor season by his standards and even a poor game up to that moment, and a big blow to City in the title race. The context was so much greater than yesterday's game.

It's a moment I still revisit regularly, while I doubt I'll be doing the same for Garnacho's goal, as good as it. It's like Mkhitaryan's ridiculous scorpion goal, I often forget that ever happened.

Jev

Robinho had not only joined City prior to that goal, he had also left them again.