Which was the better signing - Mata or Fellaini?

Which has been the better signing so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The only two signings made under the Moyes era and now that Fellaini is going(it seems), I was just curious as to what people think has proven to be a better signing so far.

For me it's Fellaini

Revan

Assumptionman
Mata, and I don't think it is particularly close. Sure he hasn't been as good as we expected him to be, and Fellaini has kind of redeemed himself after that disastrous first season, but still Mata has been the better player for us.

Judas

Open to offers
Fellaini delivered exactly what we expected, I'm not sure Mata ever really has? Bad timing on his part that he came when we played dog shit football.

I'd still say Mata has been the better signing though probably, just about.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Mata is no doubt 100 times the player Fellaini is but overall it's the latter for me. It doesn't mean that Mata was a shit signing though, mind, love him to bits but no doubt were the expectations higher.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fellaini because my expectations were low and we got the player we paid for. Mata has been underwhelming and declining ever since he arrived.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fellaini. Scored few important goals. Mata's is highest peak with Juanfield and all that but overall think it's Fellaini.

Canagel

Neither of them fitted the style and both of their signings were breach of our philosophy.
I will say Mata because I dont like hoofball.

Last edited:

SiRed

Mata, we have just not used his strengths at all, ever.

Mourinho's tactics were built for Fellaini which is why he has been useful for us occasionally. However, he is crap!

Classical Mechanic

Mata, his Juanfield performance was fantastic and in his best moments the kind of technique he shows is the reason I watch football.

Fellani is a useful player with a horrible style to watch.

EwanI Ted

Fellaini has had a certain utility to him, but equally has become a symbol for everything wrong with the club since Fergie left. A mediocre signing who stuck around coz his replacements were worse, and whose attributes made us play football in a way we dislike. I don’t blame the player, he does what he can when he comes on, but the sooner he goes and we get that era behind us the better.

Mata’s almost the opposite, the kind of player we wanted on the pitch but one we never got as much out of as we should. I don’t think we ever saw the player we saw at Chelsea. But while I’ll be glad to be rid of Fellaini, it’ll be sad to see Mata go, if only as a reminder for what might have been if he’d arrived under a better manager.

Skills

Snitch
Mata easily. He's made 209 appearances for us and scored 44 goals. He wasn't as good as we expected him to be but he still delivered more than Fellaini.

CallyRed

Think Fellaini has scored more important goals or has had more decisive moments which led to goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Think Fellaini has scored more important goals or has had more decisive moments which led to goals.
Mata has scored way more important goals.

Fellaini's stand out a bit more, because it's Fellaini and they often come in the last minute, but yeah, Mata easily has more.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
All out best moments since Fergie has come with Fellaini in the play. I'm happy he's going but I do think Mata has been very underwhelming ever since he has signed for us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If we all looked at this objectively then Fellaini would win without much debate, but people have hangups about him stylistically and aesthetically, as well as having a soft spot for Mata. Fellaini has contributed plenty more during his tenure here, while costing considerably less.

Ekeke

Its not saying a lot, but I think its very slightly Fellaini. Neither have been that good. And to make it more complicated there are times when Ander missed out because Fellaini was selected, and Ander's been better than both players so thats a negative.

steakpie

Mata. He has had big moments too.

Fellaini's best games have came away from home against the likes of Burnley, Stoke etc.
His performances at old Trafford have demonstrated he isn't a United class player.

Noc-Z

ffs
It's a tricky question because neither were sensible signings. We never needed Mata - he's not a RW and we've mostly shoehorned him in there. We simply didn't need a number 10.

Fellaini is just not a top player. I think he can make a nuisance of himself for a smaller club and be useful but we shouldn't need a player like that.

I've said Mata because he is technically a far superior player. It's just that we never needed a player in his position. Not his fault really.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
All out best moments since Fergie has come with Fellaini in the play. I'm happy he's going but I do think Mata has been very underwhelming ever since he has signed for us.
I mean thats just not true... most of our best runs before between Fergie and Ole came when Mata was in the team.

And the a lot of other great moments have featured neither.

There was a period of time where we'd generally play well with Mata on the field, we'd sub him off and it would all turn to shit.

wolvored

Both were bad buys by our worst manager. Neither fulfilled their purpose and played better at their former teams. I picked Fellaini as he suited mourinhos style and Mata didn't suit anyone's. He was played as a winger and couldn't play or stay wide. He was too slow as well. On the plus side both occasionally scored important goals

Siorac

I expected a lot more from Mata and he mostly failed to meet those expectations.

However, he was obviously better for us than Fellaini. That's not even close, even though admittedly Fellaini performed closer to expectations.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fellaini

Truth be told we've very rarely played either in their best position - Fellaini as a number 9, Mata as a number 10 (although the idea of those two playing together in those positions sends shivers down my spine) so given that we've played neither in their best position it comes down to who's done the best in the roles they've been asked to play. Mata's done better against the cannon fodder but it feels like Fellaini has had more big moments so for that I'll give him the nod

Apokalips

Mata hasn't been up to his Chelsea or Valencia levels but plays football much more akin to where we want to and should be. Plus Juanfield.

Fellaini improved during his time, but he's a symbol of the level we need to get away from. He's ultimately a midfielder, who isn't particularly mobile and is clumsy and slow on the ball. Helped us in a few dire situations, but so has Mata.

If we were to ever sign one based on style of play both before and during their time here then there is only one winner.

Zlatattack

Was the Caf always this sentimental when below par players moved on? Forlan, Veron? What about Saha, Alan Smith, Bellion?

OL29

That's a massive exaggeration. Mata alone has Juanfield, goal in the FA cup final, goals against City, Juve away etc. People expect less from Fellaini so his moments tend to stick out more and it ends up with his false narrative surrounding him. He's also had suspensions, last minute penalties given away, a needless red card against City etc. Mata wins this comfortably for me (not to say that Fellaini hasn't contributed).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mata is a better player and I prefer him as a player, but id *** Fellaini was stille a better signing.

IronCroos37

Antonia Valencia was a great servant for the club(not legend), but I don't consider either Mata or Fellaini as great servants, same as Young.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mata. As many have said despite being totally different players they have been eerily similar for United; played mostly out of position, largely underwhelming, scored some big goals, relied upon to put in a shift in adversity. I can see why it's a fairly close call but Mata has done more for the team in my view and when he's been on song has been far better to watch, so for grabbing comfort where we can in dark times he's offered more.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fellaini, a Manchester United midfielder that racked up two assists in his five and a half years at the club (according to The Guardian) :lol:

There is no comparison. Expectations from Mata were understandably different — he was one of the league's best players for a few years at Chelsea, but their body of work is incomparable.

settembrini

I honestly can't choose between them. They have both been bad signings but neither was a complete flop.

Can someone who voted tell me how the poll is currently looking please.

kps88

I feel like Fellaini has had more impact on games and has played a bigger part in winning us trophies.

Mata usually links things up okay with a lot of sideways passing but very rarely wins us a game or produces a moment of magic. He's been a below average signing if you take into account he was a record buy at the time and could never reproduce the sort of form that had us interested in buying him.

Roboc7

Both poor signings that have only survived because others were worse, neither has been as good as they were at their previous clubs.

Looks like Fellaini is gone and hopefully Mata follows in the summer, both have tried their best but simply not good enough.