Which was the better signing - Mata or Fellaini?

Which has been the better signing so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's true though especially in Cup competitions.
Nah fellaini contributed very little over his time here and his impact has been vastly overstated.
Fellaini scored in QF replay vs West Ham in a 2-1 win, scored in semi finals in 2-1 win and assisted a goal in finals in a 2-1 win. That's a very good impact in the cup competition.

He also assisted goal vs Anderlecht in 2-1 win in QFs, scored a goal in 1-1 draw in semi finals and assisted goal in finals. Again good impact in Europa league.

Both have been average signings but at least in Cup competitions Fellaini's contribution > Mata's.
Thos are what? 6 games over 6 years?
Cup competitions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fellaini came here and was... Felliani. We got what we paid for and he played to the best of his ability, which is obviously nowhere near the level of a proper United player.
Nope. We paid for a proper midfielder that we so desperately needed in Fergie’s last years. All we got was a makeshift target man.

It’s on Moyes, of course, as he knew him best but still chose to sign him for a wrong role.

LARulz

If we all looked at this objectively then Fellaini would win without much debate, but people have hangups about him stylistically and aesthetically, as well as having a soft spot for Mata. Fellaini has contributed plenty more during his tenure here, while costing considerably less.
This. I love Mata and he has had some great moments with us but Fellani I felt contributed more at times. When we were losing a game and needed a goal, I would prefer Fellani coming on than Mata more often than not as he was more likely to score or cause enough havoc for us to score

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also worth remembering the Fellaini was (stupidly) signed primarily to be a defensive midfielder and was played as one by Moyes for the majority of that first season. So the idea that Fellaini did what we bought him to do doesn't quite wash. Fellaini's best moments came when he was used in a role other than the primary one he was signed for by our idiot manager.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fellaini scored in QF replay vs West Ham in a 2-1 win, scored in semi finals in 2-1 win and assisted a goal in finals in a 2-1 win. That's a very good impact in the cup competition.

He also assisted goal vs Anderlecht in 2-1 win in QFs, scored a goal in 1-1 draw in semi finals and assisted goal in finals. Again good impact in Europa league.

Both have been average signings but at least in Cup competitions Fellaini's contribution > Mata's.
I mean, Mata actually scored in that final... and he scored against City and Hull in the run up to winning the League Cup - there's probably more too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He was also sent off against Leverkusen in the Champions League. Circumstances don't really matter and if they did, Mata's red against West Brom was harsh.

Threads like these are usually made to account for the dog's abuse Fellaini got in his early days at United. He's a good professional but we shouldn't conflate that with ability. If not for Mourinho our style would've moved past him long ago.
Wasn't Fellaini sent off against Real Sociedad too?

CM

I said league games, in any case his red cards didn't cost us much.

Also style, ability, player preference has nothing to do with this, it's very simple, who had more impact in their ManUtd career. Both have almost same impact with Fellaini edging with his performance in cup games.
Madness :lol: You can't pick and choose which red cards count and then dismiss them because they "didn't cost us much". The red card against City was the result of pure stupidity and we were fortunate not to lose that game. What about the penalty he conceded against Everton 2 minutes after coming off the bench? All conveniently forgotten.

Style and ability have plenty to do with it but that isn't what my judgement was based on. Even if we judge it solely on impact, Fellaini still does not win out.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It is Fellaini, he's not given dues because of the manager he was bought under and how he has been utilized under 3 different managers. He's made impact in all of our three trophy wins post-Fergie. Be it QF/SF of Europa league or FA Cup. Also, there is a small matter of putting MOM in an European Final.

Mata has flattered to deceive ever since he came here, this poll is lopsided because of who they are. Mata is a lovely bloke but he's been a failure at OT.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

But Mata scored the winner against City in the carabao cup, along with a goal in the semi final, scored the equaliser in the FA cup final, scored the goal that sent us through against Rostov in the Europa league.
He's also scored his fair share of important champions league goals, like against Juventus not long since. He likely has important assists in these competitions that I'm unaware of.
So essentially Fellaini > Mata in cup competitions, provided you completely ignore Matas contributions to our cup wins.

roonster09

Scout
Madness :lol: You can't pick and choose which red cards count and then dismiss them because they "didn't cost us much". The red card against City was the result of pure stupidity and we were fortunate not to lose that game. What about the penalty he conceded against Everton 2 minutes after coming off the bench? All conveniently forgotten.

Style and ability have plenty to do with it but that isn't what my judgement was based on. Even if we judge it solely on impact, Fellaini still does not win out.
Red cards for Fellaini didn't cost us anything, our league position wouldn't have changed if we won those games (had Fellaini stayed on) on the other hand, had we at least drawn the game vs West Brom we would have been in CL.

Nothing is forgotten. End of the day we are comparing 2 nothing players (in their ManUtd careers).

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It is Fellaini, he's not given dues because of the manager he was bought under and how he has been utilized under 3 different managers. He's made impact in all of our three trophy wins post-Fergie. Be it QF/SF of Europa league or FA Cup. Also, there is a small matter of putting MOM in an European Final.

Mata has flattered to deceive ever since he came here, this poll is lopsided because of who they are. Mata is a lovely bloke but he's been a failure at OT.
So did Mata?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mata for me. I'm not buying into the bar is set low for Fellaini so he was better value. He had some good games and played to his ability. Let's not forget he really should not have been bought in the first place. Square peg, round hole with a few good performances. His bad performances are probably in equal measure with his good ones.

Mata, probably changed more games, gave us more memorable moments (Juanfield) and more befitting of the Shirt

roonster09

Scout
I mean, Mata actually scored in that final... and he scored against City and Hull in the run up to winning the League Cup - there's probably more too.
Yes, he scored in finals vs Fellaini scored in Semi finals, QFs and assisted in finals. Then Fellaini also contributed in Europe league win while Mata did in league cup. At least in cup competitions Fellaini's contribution is better. Also for a #10, Mata's game changing moments are so low, in league or any competitions. Obviously we can blame on managers, but that's what this thread is about.

Dec9003

Not as much as Fellaini.

Also I think you're mistaking Mkhitaryians' impressive form in Europa League with Mata, Mata didn't contribute much.
Mata scored a tie winning goal in the Europa league.

Kush

Mata scored a tie winning goal in the Europa league.
In RO16, Fellaini scored a tie-winning goal in a SF before putting in a MOM performance in the final.

Mata has had his moments too like the brace at Anfield and important goal in FA Cup final under van Gaal but he hasn't made as much of an impact in big games as Fellaini in my opinion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mata. He's a much better footballer. The low expectations of Fellaini and the positivity surrounding a strong underdog are clouding people's judgment.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In RO16, Fellaini scored a tie-winning goal in a SF before putting in a MOM performance in the final.

Mata has had his moments too like the brace at Anfield and important goal in FA Cup final under van Gaal but he hasn't made as much of an impact in big games as Fellaini in my opinion.
Mata has several goals against Liverpool, Arsenal and City to his name - and I can recall excellent performances from him against Spurs and Chelsea too, so I'm not sure the big game argument stands up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mata scored in an FA cup final and had that Anfield performance which is one of the very few positive moments that will go down in our history.

The Europa League win, League Cup, FA Cup and probably Juanfield are the most memorable moments of the past 5-6 years since Fergie retired. Mata played a big part in 2 of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All out best moments since Fergie has come with Fellaini in the play. I'm happy he's going but I do think Mata has been very underwhelming ever since he has signed for us.
Well he's an impact sub. His role is difficult but dramatic. Mata has easily been the better player IMO. Mata's work often goes unnoticed but he also doesn't drag peformances down due to being bang average.

Dec9003

It's not really about opinion though, check my earlier post in the thread which shows Matas important contributions in every cup win we've had post Fergie.
Mata has had at worst a similar impact in the cups to Fellaini, I think people are just saying Fellaini contributed more in cups going off memory rather than actually looking it up.

Kush

Mata has several goals against Liverpool, Arsenal and City to his name - and I can recall excellent performances from him against Spurs and Chelsea too, so I'm not sure the big game argument stands up.
Fellaini has also scored several goals against top six too, I recall goals against Spurs, Chelsea, City, and Arsenal off the top of my head. I don't think Mata has achieved something extraordinary in PL compared to Fellaini.

In cup competitions Fellaini has had far more of an impact mainly in that Europa League run which I mentioned in my earlier post.

It's not really about opinion though, check my earlier post in the thread which shows Matas important contributions in every cup win we've had post Fergie.
Mata has had at worst a similar impact in the cups to Fellaini, I think people are just saying Fellaini contributed more in cups going off memory rather than actually looking it up.
Big performances, important moments just stand out without looking it up. People remember Mata's brace at Anfield because it came at a very crucial stage of the season, same applies for his FA Cup equalizer.

With Fellaini I recall more of these moments, scoring in a 4-2 win over City, 3-0 vs Spurs, 2-1 win over Arsenal. Scorer in FA Cup SF, Winner in EL SF, MOM in EL Final.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Mata. The real shame about Mata is that he is a number 10 and has rarely been used as one consistently. He has vision, guile and technique in abundance. He scores, creates and is a great guy.

My only thing with Mata is how physically weak he is. Just the weakest player ever and maybe over the years he could have changed that to a degree. Lovely player though just unfortunate in how he has been used throughout his carreer.

Canagel

And so has Mata.
Laughable that you call him failure and Fellaini not. :lol:

Dec9003

Big performances, important moments just stand out without looking it up. People remember Mata's brace at Anfield because it came at a very crucial stage of the season, same applies for his FA Cup equalizer.

With Fellaini I recall more of these moments, scoring in a 4-2 win over City, 3-0 vs Spurs, 2-1 win over Arsenal. Scorer in FA Cup SF, Winner in EL SF, MOM in EL Final.
You seriously need to do some research, especially since Mata also scored in that 4-2 win over city.
What you've essentially just said is you don't need to look at the facts regarding cup competitions, then decided Fellaini has done far more in them, which is categorically untrue.

roonster09

Scout
And so has Mata.
Laughable that you call him failure and Fellaini not. :lol:
Both are failures and nothing players. One is hated for who he is and other is loved for being mr.nice guy. If we go by their contributions, it's negligible.

Cockney Phil

Contrasting Mata and Fellaini, makes you wonder whether Moyes was a bit of a schizoid!

Mata’s goal at Juanfield was hands down his best moment for us. He can unlock tight defences and was a great number 10 but he never played there, which seems a waste and a shame. Thinking players like Mata struggle when the players around them who are running into walls or down channels. A great player but I can see his time with us ending in May.

Fella was that Moyesian moment in July when he also got rid of the backroom staff and some of us got that sinking feeling that Moyes was deep down an idiot! Although Fella had some moments he never really shrugged off the chaos of his arrival. After that it was a bumpy road with the odd moments. I am surprised he stayed so long but then that was down to the Sacked One’s bizarre transformation into a key player which probably gives him chuckle on his way to Harrods.

Canagel

Both are failures and nothing players. One is hated for who he is and other is loved for being mr.nice guy. If we go by their contributions, it's negligible.
I don't disagree. I said already both of them didn't suit our philosophy. It's just there's this weird notion that Fellaini was better because of lower expectations

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Fellaini has also scored several goals against top six too, I recall goals against Spurs, Chelsea, City, and Arsenal off the top of my head. I don't think Mata has achieved something extraordinary in PL compared to Fellaini.

In cup competitions Fellaini has had far more of an impact mainly in that Europa League run which I mentioned in my earlier post.
Likewise, I don't think Fellaini has achieved something extraordinary in cup games compared to Mata. You could argue Fellaini edges out cup competitions - like you can argue Mata edges out big PL games.

As an aside, Fellaini has never scored against Chelsea - he has scored one against Spurs, City and Arsenal.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Both are failures and nothing players.
How are they any bigger failures than the rest of the team? Mata is quality, just unfortunately wrongly used as a plug for gaps in our team. If he'd have been used as a strict no 10 over the last few years we'd have seen a different player. THe role he has been constantly asked to perform highlights his biggest weaknesses. Pace and physicality. Failures? No. Nothing players? Totally unnecessary comments.

roonster09

Scout
How are they any bigger failures than the rest of the team? Mata is quality, just unfortunately wrongly used as a plug for gaps in our team. If he'd have been used as a strict no 10 over the last few years we'd have seen a different player. THe role he has been constantly asked to perform highlights his biggest weaknesses. Pace and physicality. Failures? No. Nothing players? Totally unnecessary comments.
I didn't compare their transfers to any other transfers. Mata was quality for Chelsea where he was one of the best players in the league, just like Sanchez but for ManUtd they haven't done anything much.

roonster09

Scout
I don't disagree. I said already both of them didn't suit our philosophy. It's just there's this weird notion that Fellaini was better because of lower expectations
Think only one person made that point, maybe wrong as I didn't read all posts in the thread.