Which Youth Players Should Go on the Summer Tour?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Lingard, Wilson, Lawrence, Pearson and Rothwell seem obvious choices to take.

I'd like to see Paddy McNair go as well. Varela and Janko too.

Nickosaur

Yeah I don't disagree with any of those that you've mentioned. If Shaw/Evra are busy at the World Cup we might see Reece James? I'd imagine Michael Keane would be involved too.

khoazany

Lingard, Wilson, Lawrence, Pearson and Rothwell seem obvious choices to take.

I'd like to see Paddy McNair go as well. Varela and Janko too.
Michael Keane is a more obvious choice than any of them apart from Wilson given Smalling and Jones involvement in WC.Tom Thorpe would be there as well if we don't sign any new CB who aren't going to WC.

Henriquez,R.James would be in the squad for the first few games I'd think due to lack of numbers.All of our senior strikers are on WC so I won't be surprised if Van Gaal takes the trio Wilson,Henriquez and W.Keane to America.

My pick (assume we'll take 14 to make it a 23-man squad):
Johnstone
Varela
Vermijl (contradict to popular belief he's more likely to be used than Varela or James)
Michael Keane
Thorpe
Reece James
Pearson
Rothwell
Powell
Lingard
Lawrence
Wilson
Henriquez
Will Keane

If LVG want only 21 players then Will Keane and one of Pearson/Rothwell/R.James will probably stay at home.

Last edited:

Conrad

Surely Michael Keane and Tom Thorpe would be ahead of McNair in terms of defenders? Though if there's room I wouldn't mind seeing him go as well although there are a fair few more senior alternatives. Sam Johnstone and Amos would be certainties if De Gea isn't available for the first few games. Depending on what you're classing as youth player Powell and Zaha will probably go assuming neither leave. If Will Keane is still here he should go but I'm not that confident he will be.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Will Keane surely? We will be without any strikers anyway due the world cup.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
With 13 players going to the world cup and the tour starting mid-July lots of the players mentioned in this thread will get a chance.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Will Keane surely? We will be without any strikers anyway due the world cup.
I'd rather play Wilson, Lawrence and Henriquez at striker ahead of Will Keane as of right now. With the four main strikers coming back on tour at some point I could see him left behind.

I was a huge fan of his before the injury, but so far he hasn't been able to get back to where he was, imo.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'd rather play Wilson, Lawrence and Henriquez at striker ahead of Will Keane as of right now. With the four main strikers coming back on tour at some point I could see him left behind.

I was a huge fan of his before the injury, but so far he hasn't been able to get back to where he was, imo.
Yeah, I know his post injury form has been poor, but IMO he has proved himself as bigger talent than the likes of Lawrence and Henriquez(playing for us), and I think he has bigger ceiling than those two, and bringing him on the tour might help him return his form.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
England U19s just beat Montengro 6-0 so it looks like they may top their group qualifying for the Euros. If they do then chances are Wilson, Pearson and Rothwell won't be able to go on tour.

LR7

Isn't will Keane said to be considering leaving this summer?

I'd like to see Michael Keane, Lingard, Wilson, Lawrence, Varela, Pearson, Pereira, Powell, Henriquez, Zaha and Johnstone go.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
In a World Cup year, we should be looking to take as many as possible.

Sid234

I'd like to see how Reece James performs with the first team.. He's been a bit under the radar tbh but he's been a very good and consistent performer..

Macabre Wolf

I'm guessing that what's left of the first team is

Lindergaard
Rafael
Buttner
Evans
Young
Anderson
Fletcher
Carrick
Cleverley
Zaha
Bebe

So the rest will proberly be made up of

Amos
Johnstone
Varela
Blackett
M Keane
Thorpe
Ekangamene
Janko
Powell
Lingard
Henriquez
W Keane

LR7

I'm guessing that what's left of the first team is

Lindergaard
Rafael
Buttner
Evans
Young
Anderson
Fletcher
Carrick
Cleverley
Zaha
Bebe

So the rest will proberly be made up of

Amos
Johnstone
Varela
Blackett
M Keane
Thorpe
Ekangamene
Janko
Powell
Lingard
Henriquez
W Keane
I reckon James would be more likely to go than Blackett. I think Wilson and Lawrence are certainties. Don't see the point in Bebe going unless we want to put him in the shop window (a few Portuguese clubs apparently interested). Pearson, Rothwell's and Pereira might also be in with a shout. As might Petrucci. It'll be interested to see who goes. I really hope the youngsters grab the opportunity to impress van Gaal with both hands. I have high hopes for Lawrence, Wilson, Lingard, Michael Keane and possibly Varela next season.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I reckon James would be more likely to go than Blackett. I think Wilson and Lawrence are certainties. Don't see the point in Bebe going unless we want to put him in the shop window (a few Portuguese clubs apparently interested). Pearson, Rothwell's and Pereira might also be in with a shout. As might Petrucci. It'll be interested to see who goes. I really hope the youngsters grab the opportunity to impress van Gaal with both hands. I have high hopes for Lawrence, Wilson, Lingard, Michael Keane and possibly Varela next season.
Surely, he will leave? We could generally do with being a bit more proactive in selling/releasing players who aren't gonna make it.

mo0

brothers Keane, Powell, Lingard are certs. Johnstone, Wilson a possibility.

i'd suspect Amos, Blackett may be loaned out prior to then. maybe even Thorpe.

Sid234

brothers Keane, Powell, Lingard are certs. Johnstone, Wilson a possibility.

i'd suspect Amos, Blackett may be loaned out prior to then. maybe even Thorpe.
What about Petrucci, Perreira, Ekangamene, James and Varela?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We should look to integrating Varela, Lingard, Janko, Wilson and Keane into the first team soon so they should be certainties on tour. Not sure what the plans for Powell are considering we already have so many forwards but having Van Gaal take a closer look at him would be great.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What about Petrucci, Perreira, Ekangamene, James and Varela?
What I'd do personally:

Petrucci is now over 21 so he needs to be shipped out. It is a shame with his injuries but it is best for him and us that he moves on.

Andreas doesn't make the tour squad for me. Only Fellaini is at the WC of our CMs so we got a fair few and Rothwell and Pearson are more deserving of a spot. Powell could get a game in CM too.

Charni I would bring for mainly CB due to numbers. Jones and Smalling will miss the start which leaves only Evans, Keane and Thorpe.

Reece James has to go really. Buttner looks to be leaving and Evra will need a break after WC. I really like James so look forward to seeing him. I think he is actually better as a CM though.

Varela should be back-up to Rafael next season so should be going on tour for sure.

m1y2

What I'd do personally:

Petrucci is now over 21 so he needs to be shipped out. It is a shame with his injuries but it is best for him and us that he moves on.

Andreas doesn't make the tour squad for me. Only Fellaini is at the WC of our CMs so we got a fair few and Rothwell and Pearson are more deserving of a spot. Powell could get a game in CM too.

Charni I would bring for mainly CB due to numbers. Jones and Smalling will miss the start which leaves only Evans, Keane and Thorpe.

Reece James has to go really. Buttner looks to be leaving and Evra will need a break after WC. I really like James so look forward to seeing him. I think he is actually better as a CM though.

Varela should be back-up to Rafael next season so should be going on tour for sure.
Absolutely agree, but I would still consider taking Pereira, even he stagnated this year, still has the biggest potential out of them all and it could boost his confidence and help him in his developement. I actually think it would be quite dissapointing for me and for the player as well not to go, vG needs to see what hes capable and what he can do to andreas to help him get into the aquad, hes exactly the player that vG can convert into something...

As for James, I really like him either hes quite underated, not sure about him as a CM - reminds me cleverley a bit but with better passing range, hardworking, so he could be decent CM but as a leftback hes got something extra from his vision when playing as CM.. so Id like him to see establishing himself as a leftback, there are not many leftbacks who can make pass, most of them are "blind" heh... anyway he could be a good backup or third choice leftback next season after buying Shaw or someone.. I think Reece wouldnt mind playing 3-5 matches in his probably debut season..

And I would add Janko to that list, he could play valencia no2(with tony resting after wc) and with vG often using wingbacks he could be a valuable player in the future.
Not sure about the seasons of the likes of Vermijl or Henriquez..but cant wait to start it.. It would be exciting to watch youth in such extent.. and I think vG can do better with the youth players if they stand out at tour, like Zaha or Lingard last year..

Lane

How many young players that actually were great at summer tours made a mark in a first team the following season? I struggle to remember even one. Adnan was not really all that good in last years summer tour and he was in the team before that. Last year Lingard looked really well. And? Nothing, he did not even get a proper chance.

m1y2

How many young players that actually were great at summer tours made a mark in a first team the following season? I struggle to remember even one. Adnan was not really all that good in last years summer tour and he was in the team before that. Last year Lingard looked really well. And? Nothing, he did not even get a proper chance.
he will get a chance this year I am sure, hes nice little versatile player, I think VG will like him a lot and can make him into player at practically any positon..
And I dont remember as well but after Moyes departure its going io be different

JSMHE

Wilson, Lawrence and Michael Keane are the obvious three players should go on tour. Pearson might be on the 4th list. Powell and Lingard are probably should join as well. Wait I thought Lingard's contract is going to expired soon? And also probably even more youth since players who are in world cup will get their extra holiday.

Brightonian

He was excellent, everyone was raving about him...

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
So I assume the WC players won't be joining the tour until late on? Just wondering as obviously that would have an effect on which youngsters come.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lingard has been great on the last 2 tours.

He even knew himself that he wasn't going to be playing himself into contention for that following season, he said something in an interview being saved until this coming season for first team duty due to his size and what not.

Brightonian

funny how people just come up with stuff.... he was our best player in at least 2 of the matches in asia and I also remember another very promising cameo from the bench. I remember Lingard doing v well.
Yep, Lingard was excellent too. Scored a huge percentage of our tour goals.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Considering all the games that Valencia, Nani and Young have had where they have scored no goals or assists, I'm ready to give Lingard about 30 starts in a row to see if he can do any better.

Sid234

I think Bebe might be a good shout to impress during the summer tour.. I hope he's given the chance atleast. His physique is almost Valencia-esque, and with Nani and Tony V returning late thanks to WC duties, might be a good chance for Bebe to impress

Sb_16

Amos, Johnstone, Vermijl (if still under contact), Varela, M.Keane, Thorpe, Powell, Lingard, Bebe, Lawrence, Henriquez, W.Keane and Wilson should go for sure. Add in maybe 1-2 of Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira too.

Considering all the games that Valencia, Nani and Young have had where they have scored no goals or assists, I'm ready to give Lingard about 30 starts in a row to see if he can do any better.
Although your tag suggests otherwise I agree on giving Lingard his chance.

PS18

Reckon Johnstone, M Keane, Lingard, Lawrence, Powell and Wilson are highly likely to do the whole tour, if fit (barring maybe a really good season-long loan deal coming up that sees them move early). Probably Varela as well.

After that, I could see maybe another 6-8 travelling for the first week or so until the 10 or so early-exiting WC players join up - Joel Pereira as third keeper (I'm assuming Amos will leave), Thorpe, James, Pearson, Rothwell, W Keane (if he stays), Henríquez. You're not going to have all of those doing the whole tour though, given you'll probably have 10 senior pros to start with and 20 for the third game onwards (maybe the second game), and a 30+ squad wouldn't work.

Hopefully we can clear out some deadwood early on so there a few more spots available.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What makes you think Amos will leave?