Which Youth Players Should Go on the Summer Tour?

FromTheBench

So many you would probably say deserve to be given chances on the tour - Varela, Powell, Lawrence, Lingard, Keane, Wilson, Johnstone, Janko, James, Thorpe, Blackett, Pereira, Henriquez and Pearson

Lingard and Mike Keane will almost certainly be going I'd have thought.

Will the tour squad be announced tomorrow at the presser? I suppose it must be?
Website said it will be announced on 18th earlier so dunno.

I think more than where they are right now who goes/who does not will depend on availability of senior players as well.

For GK probably Lindergaard, and one of Johnstone/Amos will go.

For the RB slot Rafael has had no WC, but need backup and there will be gametime so one of Varela/Vermijl could go or possibly both.

For LB Shaw seems to be back early, but again need backup. Maybe Reece James/Blackett could go or Varela/Vermijl can fill in.

At CB Mike Keane will certainly go. Evans and him are the only 2 available till Jones/Smalling come back. Decent chance for Thorpe as well.

At CM we have 5 players who didn't go to WC who will likely go (Unless LVG already leaves out Anderson.) so it becomes tough for Rothwell/Pearson even though they deserve to go probably. Can see Rothwell going and not Pearson as he was ahead in first team training last term.

In terms of wide players Zaha, Young will go certainly. Lingard will too and then lawrence probably. Not likely Janko goes.

In terms of attackers all were at the WC Our #10'S and strikers so Henriquez, Powell, Wilson will probably go. Dunno about Will Keane. Pereira will most likely not go unless he has really impressed in training.

Will be interesting how many games without the WC players fully there do they factor in and how big a squad do they wanna take.

FromTheBench

He had a couple of good months early in the season; 'first half' is a big exaggeration. Really it was a few really strong performances and a couple of key goals which created that impression anyway - I watched loads of those games, and he often wasn't anything special, just got his 'right place in the right time' right.

He had an injury or two over the winter but still played plenty of games in the second third of the season. However his form dropped off dramatically, and weaknesses which were in his game even when he was playing well (and indeed during his time with our U21s - I haven't seen much of him from his Crewe days so can't testify to those) began to look more and more obstructive. Namely a lack of pace and mobility, poor movement to be available for the ball, a lack of a sense of when to dribble, when to pass and when to shoot, and an inability to get himself into the game.

However the worst sign for me is how quickly his attitude plummeted once he was struggling on the pitch. By February, you could see him start to sulk ten minutes into games if he wasn't getting the ball. He'd stop bothering to look for it, to make any kind of movement, and would start to take silly potshots. Invariably he got taken off in these matches. This sort of thing even happened in games he should have been excited for, especially the FA cup games including the one against Arsenal. Rosler got pissed off with it, as became fairly public, and dropped him. And there was the drink-driving ban, which on its own is not really relevant but just adds to the picture.

I'm obviously painting a deliberately dark picture there to emphasise how bad a season it looked when you were actually watching the games, despite the stats. He was played for most of that season as a striker, which he clearly doesn't believe is his best position (unlike Rosler). But you'd still want him to put his head down and get on with it, especially because his own lack of drive, mobility and tempo as a midfielder is probably the reason Rosler came to think that.
Fair bit of exaggeration there. I have a very different outlook about most things. Especially the line about him being obstructive in that Wigan team is strange given the role he was asked to play. Though i get the point you are making there as he has a Rooney sort of problem in that regard. (Even Lampard did actually.)

Anyway, he is a young attacking player. They blow hot and cold all the time when they are settling at that age. Important thing is did he contribute and show enough spark when he was hot or not and he certainly did as he has in the past. That extra class or X factor which he has cannot be coached.

As of his attitude he seems a detached character, who needs to be man managed and motivated properly. Didn't seem like he ever clicked with Rosler and i thing you are slightly exaggerating him being totally disinterested part. Bit of it's down to his playing style which at times can look like Toure, Viduka, Berbatov.hell even Pogba, (Though not to Berba/Viduka degree obviously.) and bit of it is down to being asked to play as the lone target ram striker in a defensive system at times where he was expected to chase around the ball and do something which isn't his game. If he is played as striker you need to get the ball to his feet and play around him to get him into goalscoring areas. Play Lampard in that role and he'd look disinterested as well after a while.

Dunno, if many agree right now but for me he is a very good talent and amongst the best at the club as of now. Right now Lawrence and Lingard etc...seem more in the minds and him slightly back of the mind, and though them 2 can also be good players he is easily a better talent. Actually, for Powell right now bit see Barkley at same sort of stage last season with some differences. (Not saying he will have a similar breakthrough and impact immediately in his first season ofcourse but Barkley had similar issues the season before.)

Will be interesting what LVG does with him as his best position is loaded right now at the club. Hopefully can get a good PL loan if he doesn't use him.

Last edited:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
No Pereira guys?
He was tremendous at U18s but the step up last season was difficult for him, which isn't a huge surprise. It's a lot harder to pull off flair moves and free kick goals at that level.

He certainly did okay, and had a highlight goal against Liverpool in the semi-final, but for someone playing as an attacking midfielder you'd like to see more goals and assists.

But he could certainly go on tour, he's one of our better prospects.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You are right, the others deserve it more but I just cant see Rothwell making it here at United, Pearson is a big doubt for me, and I think Pereira will be a hit at Old Trafford, but you gotta deserve it, so yeah maybe its best for him to make the next step first. On Vermijl, imo after Janmaat he was the best RB in the Eredevisie, he was very consistent and attackingly very good. The best player at that moment (piazon) couldnt get past that Vermijl, I remember. Could be a good back up for the LB and RB.
Why don't you think Rothwell will make it? For me he made the step up to reserve level better than the rest and outperformed the likes of Pearson and Andreas. He got more playing time at the start of the season which to me suggests Warren Joyce thought he stepped up better. And iirc he was included in a couple matchday squads like Charni which would suggest Moyes and the first team staff thought he was ahead of the rest too. This is all after missing almost an entire year through injuries and illness.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You are right, the others deserve it more but I just cant see Rothwell making it here at United, Pearson is a big doubt for me, and I think Pereira will be a hit at Old Trafford, but you gotta deserve it, so yeah maybe its best for him to make the next step first. On Vermijl, imo after Janmaat he was the best RB in the Eredevisie, he was very consistent and attackingly very good. The best player at that moment (piazon) couldnt get past that Vermijl, I remember. Could be a good back up for the LB and RB.
I haven't read much about Vermijl, glad to hear someone report he's been a success.

Mickson

feck me I'm tired of Petrucci. Just get rid. And that people still got high hopes for him, unbelievable.

Pearson didn't have his best season but I like him. Rothwell deserves to go imo.

FromTheBench

personally I don't see us keeping both Petrucci and Perriera. I expect the Italian to move on
I expect him to leave too Might be a surprise inclusion if we are short on mids though is what i meant.

Anyway, unlikely. Not sure why it is linked to pereira anyway.

Brightonian

feck me I'm tired of Petrucci. Just get rid. And that people still got high hopes for him, unbelievable.

Pearson didn't have his best season but I like him. Rothwell deserves to go imo.
Sometimes just the age alone means it's time for a player to move on. Maybe if things had gone better his talent would have been enough for him to make it here... but that doesn't change the fact that things haven't gone well for him. And you can't just turn back the clock and pretend he's two years younger than he actually is. He's the same age as Jack Wilshere.

Time for him to leave, for his sake as much as ours. At this point he'll just end up getting in the way of the now far more promising Rothwell and Pearson.

JSMHE

With Smalling and Jones are gone for holiday, that means Michael Keane will obviously join the summer tour. Time for him to impress LVG.

LR7

With Smalling and Jones are gone for holiday, that means Michael Keane will obviously join the summer tour. Time for him to impress LVG.
The England players are back today aren't they? Anyway I hope Michael Keane gets his chance to impress too. I rate him highly.

Lingard, Lawrence and Wilson too.

JSMHE

The England players are back today aren't they? Anyway I hope Michael Keane gets his chance to impress too. I rate him highly.

Lingard, Lawrence and Wilson too.
I don't know. But isn't it a bit too early. At least 1 more week.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The English and Spanish players will go to the pre-season.

FromTheBench

Michael Keane should be a lock to go anyway. I'm thinking if Tom Thorpe goes.

Vermijl isn't going and looks like he might be leaving the club, so maybe Varela goes.

At what time are they flying out ?

m1y2

Michael Keane should be a lock to go anyway. I'm thinking if Tom Thorpe goes.

Vermijl isn't going and looks like he might be leaving the club, so maybe Varela goes.

At what time are they flying out ?
Hope Varela goes he had a good debut season. Looking like a Rafael's copy IMO. Shouldn't be wasted another season in u21, It would be a good competition with Janko who have time to be developped into either winger or rather wingback.
Haven't heard of Vermijl on loan last season at all.. looks like he hasn't got any chance

Sid234

Keanes, Blackett, James, Lingard and Zaha are going on tour.. Evra's departure must be why Blackett's getting his chance.

So no Petrucci, Vermijl, Powell, Anderson, Evra or Henriquez..

Must mean that Petrucci, Vermijl and Anderson are on their way out, while Henriquez and Powell are going out on loans again (hopefully)

khoazany

Apart from James who is currently our "no.2" LB all the youngsters taken have good Championship experience.You can't take too many on tour so I suppose LVG want to have a look at those closest to the first team right now (Powell and Henriquez might go on loan).

Sid234

Apart from James who is currently our "no.2" LB all the youngsters taken have good Championship experience.You can't take too many on tour so I suppose LVG want to have a look at those closest to the first team right now (Powell and Henriquez might go on loan).
Bit surprised that Vermijl isnt on that flight considering we have no natural RB's other than Rafa.. Also bit surprised to see Blackett make the flight ahead of others after that horrible loan spell last season, must have really impressed in training.

khoazany

Bit surprised that Vermijl isnt on that flight considering we have no natural RB's other than Rafa.. Also bit surprised to see Blackett make the flight ahead of others after that horrible loan spell last season, must have really impressed in training.
Blackett is a strange case.But I don't think Birmingham loan is a good judge.Their defence is really exposed and you know Blackett is by no mean a defending fullback.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Whilst disappointed that a few haven't gone we do have a fair few United XI matches that the U-18's alone won't be ready for. It could be a good decision to keep a lot of that group together for those matches for their own preparation for the U-21 season. Van Gaal will have them watched diligently.

FromTheBench

Bit dissapointed and underwhelmed by this squad tbh.

Was hoping he did a Rodgers and took 35 players if needed to have a proper look.

Decotron

Whilst disappointed that a few haven't gone we do have a fair few United XI matches that the U-18's alone won't be ready for. It could be a good decision to keep a lot of that group together for those matches for their own preparation for the U-21 season. Van Gaal will have them watched diligently.
That's a good point as well.

Agree with Blackett comments though.

JSMHE

No Lawrence, No Wilson, not even Varela. Did I missed any injury news? And not even Ben Pearson when Fellaini is still in holiday while Carrick is injured. What surprise me the most is we bring three left back (Shaw, Blackett, James) Oh well fair enough because I also wanna see Blackett and James in action if they are ready for our back up or no.

FromTheBench

The Right back Left back scenario is the most weird.

We have better Right back prospects but they've take 2 LB's despite not having any natural backup for Rafael either.

Sid234

Blackett is a strange case.But I don't think Birmingham loan is a good judge.Their defence is really exposed and you know Blackett is by no mean a defending fullback.
True and weren't Birmingham using him a CB?

No Lawrence, No Wilson, not even Varela. Did I missed any injury news? And not even Ben Pearson when Fellaini is still in holiday while Carrick is injured. What surprise me the most is we bring three left back (Shaw, Blackett, James) Oh well fair enough because I also wanna see Blackett and James in action if they are ready for our back up or no.
Maybe LvG wants to see if either James or Blackett are ready for the 1st team and avoid having to buy another LB?

As for the lack of CM's only thing i think of is that we think we might sign a new CM sooner than most think?

FromTheBench

Maybe LvG wants to see if either James or Blackett are ready for the 1st team and avoid having to buy another LB?
That makes sense but then what about RB ? Rafael is injury prone and then backup Rb's will again be Smalling and Jones. Urgh. Or maybe Keane, if he stays.

We actually have better talents at RB as well than LB.

Sid234

That makes sense but then what about RB ? Rafael is injury prone and then backup Rb's will again be Smalling and Jones. Urgh. Or maybe Keane, if he stays.

We actually have better talents at RB as well than LB.
Might be looking at Valencia to play as a wingback? Like he did with Kuyt in the WC? We'll have to wait till the tour matches begin to see what tactics LvG will use?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For those who don't know are kids very well, these are the ones that have gone on tour (ignored Amos as we all should know who he is by now!).

GK...........Sam Johnstone
LB...........Tyler Blackett
LB...........Reece James
CB...........Michael Keane
Winger.....Jesse Lingard
CF...........William Keane

Looks like Van Gaal will be looking at James/Blackett as possible backup players for Shaw. That suggests to me that we're happy using Jones/Smalling/Valencia as RB cover for Rafael otherwise we'd have a few RB's on tour.

Can't really argue with any of the players going. Surprised neither Lawrence nor Wilson is going though.

PS18

With all the early WC exits no real surprise at the relatively small number of youngsters going. Bit surprised by some of the names though. Two young LBs behind Shaw and no RBs behind Rafael when for me we have three RB prospects better than any of our LB prospects is more than a little strange - appreciate we need to look at a backup LB if Evra goes but James OR Blackett and one of Varela, Vermijl or Janko would have made a lot more sense to me. I'd have definitely taken one of the young CMs as well, given there's only three in the squad (and I know some people have said James can play there, but let's be honest, he's not at Pearson/Rothwell's level as a CM prospect). Wilson I'm assuming is injured as I can't believe we'd leave him behind if available.

Sid234

To be honest, thinking of what LvG said at his presser, it's no surprise many kids aren't in the squad.. He still has to assess the first team and decide who to keep and sell.. much bigger priority right now for him to see what part of the team needs reinforcing

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The strangest omissions (unless they're injured or have girlfriends in labor) hsve to be James Wilson (better than Will Keane) and Guillermo Varela. Why take only 1 RB but 4 GKs?