While football is suspended, what past matches would you recommend to watch?

Gordon S

Brazil vs Denmark in WC QF 98 was a cracker. Laudrup brothers playing joga bonito. Can`t find the whole game.

thepolice123

Man United vs Arsenal games of the 90s :drool: Keane vs Vieira, Fergie vs Wenger. Very tense games.

Found a good quality video of our match against them in 07/08.

The quality of our football was worse than I remembered. Anderson and Hargreaves was definitely not a good combo for us. Hargreaves, in particular, was pretty average on the ball despite being a big midfield purchase.

Irwin99

Found a good quality video of our match against them in 07/08.

The quality of our football was worse than I remembered. Anderson and Hargreaves was definitely not a good combo for us.

That's weird because I remember them being the go-to combo for tough away matches (Anfield match too).

I think if i remember right Scholes and Carrick really struggled badly against Arsenal when they played in the home game and the tide was turned when Tevez and Anderson came on and we won the game 2-1. I just seem to remember that Fletcher, Hargreaves and Ando were always the better players to use against Arsenal in that period.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That Fifa WC semi final in 2014 in Minas Gerais.
Brazil - Germany.

One of the best matches ever. Neymar & Co getting absolutely humiliated in front of 64000 brazilians. Best performance ever from a national team (And I am not even German haha).

Kroos MOTM, I guess he peaked there.
Great game, especially to lift your spirits. Tbf to Neymar though he missed the game so not his fault. Thiago was arguably the bigger loss as their defence fell apart without him.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
NBCSN have been showing some of this years earlier league games. Yesterday an entertaining Arse v Spurs and now Man Utd v Chelsea the beginning of the season.
Chelsea passed it around well but we’re torn apart on the speed and quality of our attack.

Robertd0803

Germany v Italy from the 2006 World Cup Semi Final

Was a great game, all 2 hours of it
Got there before me I was going to recommend this like always. Great match.

Not including our games (theres way too many).

Spain vs Germany in WC2010 semi. Absolute borefest of a match (I seem to remember Spain passing the ball around for 20 minutes without Germany getting a touch) but was a great example of how stupidly good that Spain side was.

Liverpool v Arsenal in 2009- the Arshavin game.

Liverpool v Atletico from the other night.

Ireland vs Italy USA94.

Spain vs Holland 2014.

2006 WC Final.

England vs Croatia 2008 qualifier is a bonkers game to rewatch.

Luke1995

By the way guys, Flamengo 5 x Santos 4 from 2011 is a classic in Brazil. You will probably only find the full game with Portuguese commentary, but the footage itself is a great watch

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Got there before me I was going to recommend this like always. Great match.

Not including our games (theres way too many).

Spain vs Germany in WC2010 semi. Absolute borefest of a match (I seem to remember Spain passing the ball around for 20 minutes without Germany getting a touch) but was a great example of how stupidly good that Spain side was.

Liverpool v Arsenal in 2009- the Arshavin game.

Liverpool v Atletico from the other night.

Ireland vs Italy USA94.

Spain vs Holland 2014.

2006 WC Final.

England vs Croatia 2008 qualifier is a bonkers game to rewatch.
That's a good shout.

McGrath (rightly) gets singled out for his performance but as a team/unit, Ireland got it spot on that day.

A good example of how a well organised team can beat a team of so called stars. But not forgetting Ireland had some pretty decent players.

And AMAZING fans. 90 and 94

thepolice123

That's weird because I remember them being the go-to combo for tough away matches (Anfield match too).

I think if i remember right Scholes and Carrick really struggled badly against Arsenal when they played in the home game and the tide was turned when Tevez and Anderson came on and we won the game 2-1. I just seem to remember that Fletcher, Hargreaves and Ando were always the better players to use against Arsenal in that period.
Tbf I think work-rate and aggression in midfield were far more important against Arsenal and Liverpool. That Arsenal team was better at controlling possession while Liverpool used to play their cup finals against us. Watching the match I was suprised at how bad Hargreaves was on the ball.

Handsome Devil

Was looking for a footie fix and I found a video of a match from the FIFA 20 championship in November. I'm not a video games freak but it was fun to watch with commentary and everything.
Maybe some TV station could take this up to fill the void. Might be better than repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys anyhow.
Sorry I haven't worked out to post a link but should be easy enough to Google.

RUCK4444

Was looking for a footie fix and I found a video of a match from the FIFA 20 championship in November. I'm not a video games freak but it was fun to watch with commentary and everything.
Maybe some TV station could take this up to fill the void. Might be better than repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys anyhow.
Hey this is not a bad idea, I know some won’t like watching video games but I’ve found watching the pro’s at tournaments a good watch.

However I think these tournaments are pretty large gaming events which may be postponed due to the numbers in attendance.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The testcard is better than Mrs Brown's Boys. Never got it.

Re the FIFA 20 reference, was it a specific match you had in mind?
This website will be your best friend at the moment.

An insane amount of games from every single competition and country.

https://footballia.net/
I haven't signed up but does it have "The game of the century" on it? I can only find YouTube videos showing a few minutes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1f0d90CK5qoU8BtRN-1c_H

Hoof the ball

The testcard is better than Mrs Brown's Boys. Never got it.

Re the FIFA 20 reference, was it a specific match you had in mind?

I haven't signed up but does it have "The game of the century" on it? I can only find YouTube videos showing a few minutes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1f0d90CK5qoU8BtRN-1c_H
It has every group and knockout game from the 1970 World Cup in full, including the aforementioned Italy/W.Germany game.

https://footballia.net/competitions/world-cup/tournaments/world-cup-1970

Here's the game (if you sign up)
https://footballia.net/matches/italy-germany

Dan_F

I stole this idea off a podcast, but couldn’t we all watch a classic match at the same time at the weekend. Have a match day thread for it, full of people moaning and wanting the manager sacked, as we’re on the way to winning the treble.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That Fifa WC semi final in 2014 in Minas Gerais.
Brazil - Germany.

One of the best matches ever. Neymar & Co getting absolutely humiliated in front of 64000 brazilians. Best performance ever from a national team (And I am not even German haha).

Kroos MOTM, I guess he peaked there.
Neymar didn't even play

Parma Dewol

Great idea for a thread, with some cracking matches suggested so far.

Does anyone happen to know if there's a site that has some of these matches available for download? Would make for good viewing in these difficult times. Though you can find most games on YouTube, the quality tends to vary from poor to average, and it'd be great to get a high-quality version. Wouldn't mind watching the whole of our '99 FA Cup Semi Final replay against Arsenal in 1080p!

Dutchjerry

All 8 at the same end
I remember this match because of the guy who lost 10k on a half time bet, it was 1/16, He'd have won just 625...

I'll recommend watching Real Madrid - Ajax from 1995, when Ajax left Benrnabeu with a standing ovation from the Madrid fans.

klayton88

https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/

This is where I watch all football highlights from across all leagues. It is currently uploading loads of classic games from euros to world cups to la liga to the prem etc. Lot's of docs too. Just got done watch Ruuds Premier League Legends.

lysglimt

Scout
The best game I can remember watching in the World Cup was Belgium vs Soviet Union in 86. I loved that Belgium side with Scifo, Claesen, Gerets, Ceulemans etc

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I remember this match because of the guy who lost 10k on a half time bet, it was 1/16, He'd have won just 625...

I'll recommend watching Real Madrid - Ajax from 1995, when Ajax left Benrnabeu with a standing ovation from the Madrid fans.
Remember that game :eek: