White Socks

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
How come in Europe we always play in white socks when our first team colours are black socks?

I asked David Gill this question and he didn't know the answer.

It's not historic as we have played in black socks before!

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I don't know the answer either but it looks crap....

Aks Hellboy...

VoetbalWizard

How come in Europe we always play in white socks when our first team colours are black socks?

that's what you asked gill instead of asking him why he bent over to take irish american glazer cock up his arse?

:D just winding you up. eh i dunno the answer either about the socks. i dislike it when we play in white socks.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

We seem to let the opposition's kit decide if we wear white or black socks at Old Trafford nowadays and it just ain't right! It annoys the hell out of me.

kinkster

We seem to let the opposition's kit decide if we wear white or black socks at Old Trafford nowadays and it just ain't right! It annoys the hell out of me.
Im sure in europe the away team decides on the kit, certainly used to be the case

Quinny1999

I think its been a tradition since we won it in 99.
I think this is more likely to be the case. We change the kit in 99 and had a 'european kit' which as a change, included white socks.

If it was permanent feature then black every time but in europe I can cope with the white socks, quite like it.

Forever Red

Manchester United Home kit

Red shirt
White shorts
Black socks

Anything else isn't right

Nem 7

How is white socks a mark of respect, sorry just don't get that.
Let me break it down for you.

Black = Associated with death

White = Associated with life.

Babes died in Europe

Wear white socks in Europe,

do you not remember the minor uproar concerning our 04-05 kit because it had so much Black on it?

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I've wondered this for years. We seem to switch to white socks at random, not just for europe, or home or away, and since before '99, and it ain't right.

I once saw the question posed on the official club site and the "official" answer was that "both colours are part of the kit so both are valid". Tossers.

MrK

I would have thought the obvious reason would be so it's easier to pick out teammates nearby when your head's down due to pressure from the opposition. There's no rule to say opposite teams must have different coloured socks, so I thought United decided it was important enough to change when their opposition wore black socks.

Could be a load of rubbish.

kinkster

I would have thought the obvious reason would be so it's easier to pick out teammates nearby when your head's down due to pressure from the opposition.
load of crock

any player at united standard plays with there head up. socks dont come into it

kit lady probably pissed fergie off so he made em wear white socks cos there harder to wash...be closer to the truth

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I prefer white socks honestly, not that it has any importance though.

MrK

load of crock

any player at united standard plays with there head up. socks dont come into it

kit lady probably pissed fergie off so he made em wear white socks cos there harder to wash...be closer to the truth
May well be a load of crock, but they hardly have their heads up 100% of the time, do they? It's tough to play football without looking at the ball

Mr. MUJAC

I would have thought the obvious reason would be so it's easier to pick out teammates nearby when your head's down due to pressure from the opposition. There's no rule to say opposite teams must have different coloured socks, so I thought United decided it was important enough to change when their opposition wore black socks.

Could be a load of rubbish.
It's not that otherwise everyone would play in white.....

Secondly we have won ten titles playing in black socks so you would think we are used to it by now.......and after over 50 years it's not like players don't know the colours...

It is definitely a Europe thing but I can't work out why?

MrK

United have worn white socks playing Newcastle for ages now, as far as I remember, so it's not purely a European thing. I'm sure we've worn them in other premiership games too, but can't remember which.

I bet we'll wear white socks against Newcastle and Hull next season.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
United have worn white socks playing Newcastle for ages now, as far as I remember, so it's not purely a European thing. I'm sure we've worn them in other premiership games too, but can't remember which.

And Spurs.

Quinny1999

Let me break it down for you.

Black = Associated with death

White = Associated with life.

Babes died in Europe

Wear white socks in Europe,

do you not remember the minor uproar concerning our 04-05 kit because it had so much Black on it?
Nope!!

As for black being a mark of death, it is in life generally, but in terms of United kits the last line up of the babes against Belgrade they wore black socks!!

You could say by wearing black socks in Europe we are respecting the babes as black = death. You could also say that by wearing white socks we are stating the babes live on, white = life.

Fackin bollocks all this. We could pick holes in every aspect of United, but fack me, surely we have things more important to talk about.

White socks is not disrespecting the babes in the slightest.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
white socks make us look more majestic for the occasion. So in Europe, we wear them to make it look special. Just like some teams have European kits.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
white socks make us look more majestic for the occasion
No, they don't. They make us look like a million other red and white teams. We look far more majestic with black socks as that's an important part of the proper United kit

kristinson

I quite like it when we wear our black shorts, black socks and red top, we always seem to play well. But thats neither here nor there!

why the hell are we talking about socks anyway, are we that bored?

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
No, they don't. They make us look like a million other red and white teams. We look far more majestic with black socks as that's an important part of the proper United kit
White looks majestic, black doesn't. It has nothing to do with how many other teams wear them. Right now I can't think of any in the CL. If you can't see how white might make us look special, you simply don't have a sense of style

Mr. MUJAC

It is totally inconsistent!

You are right about white socks against Newcastle at home last season but that is not common.....we have played newcastle at home before in black socks....

Last season we wore black away at Sporting and then white at home....Sporting wore the same strip both times!

Away at Dynamo we wore black socks......

So it is not a European thing either!

We wore white socks at Sunderland, Reading and Birmingham away because they have dark socks too......

There must be a decent explanation that is consistent......I just don't know what it is?