Who’s is currently the best manager in the world?

Peanut Butter

There's no definitive answer.

If you enjoy swashbuckling, attacking football with no Plan B and you don't care about trophies, Klopp.

The same kind of applies to Pochettino but for me tactically he is miles ahead of Klopp.

Ancelotti has been there and won it but isn't in favour at the moment.

Rodgers?

DonDarmian

1) Heynckes
2) Guardiola
3) Zidane
4) Allegri
5) Simeone
6) Pochettino
7) Jardim
8) Tuchel
9) Valverde
10) Sarri

Disclaimer: This list is subjective, anyone is welcome to argue and vociferously disagree.
Although I really liked his Dortmund side, what has he done to warrant an 8) spot on this list? The likes of Conte, Mourinho may be looked upon as negative managers, but both have delivered thropies over the past years. Bar this season at Chelsea, Conte was did great at both Italy, Juve and his first season at Chelsea. Think this should warrant a place in a top ten given the fact that though many of the managers on that list have evolved their teams, not many have actuall silverware to show to.

Cait Sith

Heynckes is like a cult in Redcafe.
Based on a single football result as well against a team whose coach was on cancer treatment in New York for half of the season.

The best manager in the world right now, after Pep who is in his own league obviously, is Ernesto Valverde. Unbeaten in CL and La Liga in March, best defensive record in Europe, 3-0 away against Real Madrid, on course for a 102 point season. After losing Neymar when everyone predicted Barca will win nothing. Also his previous team does a lot worse without him. There is no way Pochettino and the likes have anything over him.

IFC 1905

A few of my South American friends talk very highly of him to. Very intrigued to see where he will end up once he comes to Europe.
Yeah he's been becoming more and more famous. In the begining everyone criticized him since he comes from coaching Hockey, and there was also an audio which was private but got filtered to media, where he was criticizing the job of the last managers of the Club (as he was actually proposing himself) and saying how we should play according to our history. Media almost killed him right there, since he didn't prove a thing to be speaking like that. He said we should play offensively, with high pressure and mentioned other concepts. After 3 months the team was playing exactly like that. And we got to win our first international cup in 7 years. We sold a kid in 20M, got 4 players to the NT and there are more Sampaoli (who said Independiente his the one who plays the best) is following. There were players who were absolute dogshit before him, and now they are applauded by the fans and with NT chances.

I found that video which explains his method, it's in spanish but I guess you could understand it anyways.

Boznich

Guardiola unfortunately for us, Allegri, Heynckes, Zidane, Klopp, Sarri, Pochettino, Simeone and Conte all up there and although Mourinho and Wenger have been great they have not been able to evolve and adapt and neither of them seem to have the stomach for the fight anymore in my opinion.

Zoo

Guardiola, Simeone, Allegri and Heynckes.

Kapardin

Guardiola.
Allegri.
Simeone.
Mourinho.
Heynckes.
Conte.
Ancelotti.

In terms of silverware and tactics. Jose might have fecked up against Sevilla, but that doesn't mean he isn't a master tactician on his best days. Don't give an eff about the rest. Jardim is ok I suppose, but let the likes of Tuchel, Poch and Sarri accomplish something.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yeah he's been becoming more and more famous. In the begining everyone criticized him since he comes from coaching Hockey, and there was also an audio which was private but got filtered to media, where he was criticizing the job of the last managers of the Club (as he was actually proposing himself) and saying how we should play according to our history. Media almost killed him right there, since he didn't prove a thing to be speaking like that. He said we should play offensively, with high pressure and mentioned other concepts. After 3 months the team was playing exactly like that. And we got to win our first international cup in 7 years. We sold a kid in 20M, got 4 players to the NT and there are more Sampaoli (who said Independiente his the one who plays the best) is following. There were players who were absolute dogshit before him, and now they are applauded by the fans and with NT chances.

I found that video which explains his method, it's in spanish but I guess you could understand it anyways.
Thanks for sharing that, Really enjoyed that video. Has he ever alluded to which teams he likes in Europe?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Best at what? That is a broad statement. What are the teams goals? What are the teams resources? What is the scouting like? What are the fans expectations? What is the culture?

When you say manager do you mean coach because they are viewed differently in Europe and in the United Kingdom.

The best managers for a relegation threatened team won't be the same for a team at the top.

With all that being said, with my views of the game and how I like my football being executed, Pep Guardiola and Maurizio Sarri are the two best coaches both from an aesthetic and mathematical perspective.

Last edited:

walkinhop

After Pep in my opinion.

Genuinely having a think who I want to replace Jose. I don’t want who’s the best fit for United though. Just want to know who is the best?
There is no such thing as the best in management. Too many moving parts and the human element don't allow for there to be such a clear number 1. Some are good at this, others at that. So, unfortunately, we do need the best fit for us.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Considering what they've done with limited resources, it's between Zidane and Pochettino.

Untied

I do like Pochettino a lot, but since he has been at Spurs Mourinho has won four trophies (1 PL, 2 league cups, 1 Europa league). I don't think Pochettino should be a part of this conversation until he actually wins something.

Lyricist

Based on a single football result as well against a team whose coach was on cancer treatment in New York for half of the season.

The best manager in the world right now, after Pep who is in his own league obviously, is Ernesto Valverde. Unbeaten in CL and La Liga in March, best defensive record in Europe, 3-0 away against Real Madrid, on course for a 102 point season. After losing Neymar when everyone predicted Barca will win nothing. Also his previous team does a lot worse without him. There is no way Pochettino and the likes have anything over him.
Or might it have to do with the fact that he's averaged 2.81 pts per game over his 26 games that he's now been in charge of Bayern again? Add to that the time that everyone according to you only remembers because of the victory against the cancer treatment team where they apparently also won a treble, got to 2 CL finals in a row and averaged 2.43 pts per game over the course of 109 games.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I do like Pochettino a lot, but since he has been at Spurs Mourinho has won four trophies (1 PL, 2 league cups, 1 Europa league). I don't think Pochettino should be a part of this conversation until he actually wins something.
I'am not sure Mourinho would win anything either with Tottenham at the moment.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Guy does not spend. He sticks to the youth players that were brought in, exception made of Asensio. He had a solid base to work with but he went about his job with what he had instead of bringing new players in. He, strangely enough, doesn't really want to bring more than what he has in. He has been a smashing success. In all departments.

Hamadovich86

The best managers are the ones who win the most trophies. Guardiola is the league god winning 7 titles (i'm counting this season) out of the 9 seasons hes managed at a club, thats completely insane, add to that his 2 CL wins and you can say hes easily the best manager in terms of consistent success since SAF.

Mourinho was up there with Pep but three seasons without a league title dampens the shine off of him when compared to Pep. I still think hes next simply because you cant argue with the number of trophies hes won. Then theres the rest, Zidane, Heynckes, Allegri, Conte, Ancelotti, Enrique, Klopp and Simone have all won major titles in their tenures in varying circumstances but again, you cant argue with trophies. After that there are the managers who have yet to win anything major but are perceived to be very talented like Pochettino, Sarri, Jardim and Tuchel.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Over the course of there careers Pep no doubt, Jose close.

On current form, Zidane has to be up there again with Pep who has had one poor season (which involved finishing 3rd) in 9.

aman92

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously won't be a popular opinion on here....but it's incredible how many people underrated Klopp here. No way is someone like a Pochhetino and Tuchel a better manager than him

BaneIsPain

Pep currently. Then, Mourinho (despite early exit CL this season) . If Zidane can win it again with Madrid,he is also in candidate one of the best manager

Claude Cat

Supports
Liverpool
What has Tuchel done that Klopp hasn’t? Really intrigued at some of his inclusions here.

KDB17

Supports
Manchester City
Guardiola.
Allegri.
Simeone.
Mourinho.
Heynckes.
Conte.
Ancelotti.

In terms of silverware and tactics. Jose might have fecked up against Sevilla, but that doesn't mean he isn't a master tactician on his best days. Don't give an eff about the rest. Jardim is ok I suppose, but let the likes of Tuchel, Poch and Sarri accomplish something.
I think regardless of personal preference your list includes the true top managers in the world. I would also agree that the next tier should include Zidane, Jardim, Tuchel, Pochettino, Sarri, (maybe) Valverde. Wenger is past it and the rest are another notch down IMO.

Last edited:

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
Imho Zidane is in the same category as Luis Enrique. They both "got carried" by their players and I don't care that Zidane won 2 CLs in a row, since the first one was easy as feck and the second one incredible multiple individual performances. All of that coincided with Madrid's key players being in their prime and clicking. Zidane has shown numerous times to be inept and make flabbergasting decisions (as did Enrique). Enrique, on the other hand, got carried by a superior front line. Just my two cents, maybe Madrid's fans know better about Zidane.

There are too many variables in a cup competition to use it(be it World Cup, UCL and etc) as the best measure of greatness. Injuries, luck, avoiding counter teams, referees and no league like match-up system between every team to find out the best one in the long run. It looks nice on paper when you see 2 times in a row UCL wins or 3 in 4 years(that's not a dig at Madrid, it's a great achievement), but when you look scrupulously at the context it is not as great as it may seem on wikipedia. Imagine for a second if Pep's Barcelona met some attacking teams in 2010(I know, I know, you are going to point at Inter home match, but you get the idea) and 2012(Barca basically bottled it or just wasn't lucky enough, I don't know) semifinals of UCL, it may have turned out differently and it could have been 4 in a row, but it wasn't. That's cup competition for you. Therefore I consider league performances as a better measure of greatness. Unfortunately we do not have an international league like tournament where the best 10 teams in Europe from 5 best leagues compete against each other. I have no idea if that is at all feasible but that's a topic for another day.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I bet if we'd have nicked a 1-0 or a 2-1 last night, there'd be more mentions of Jose in this thread given the very good few weeks we've had in terms of results and comebacks.

RedCurry

Well obviously it's easy to say it's Pep. But for me, I personally think Conte is really a world class manager. Hasn't yet won as much as Mourinho and Pep, but if you give him the right players, he would win the league again quite easily.

Booda

what was the term used in here last year , oh yeah I remember it was Fruadilola was it not , whilst Conte wins the prem in hes first season here and now not even in the top ten , Wenger gets criticized for not winning anything but hes team was well known for playing great football for years. Same as Klopp and Poch, pretty football is ok but what does it mean if you dont win nought.

IRELANDUNITED

Obviously won't be a popular opinion on here....but it's incredible how many people underrated Klopp here. No way is someone like a Pochhetino and Tuchel a better manager than him
He's been at Liverpool for a long time now and still has won nothing. You'll finish 3rd or 4th this year and go out of the champions league in the quarters and while that is a massive improvement for you club it still isn't nearly enough for him to be considered one of the world's top managers