Who are the best striking partnership in World club football at the moment?

MacMUFC

That doesnt include the likes of Gerrard and Torres etc, I mean two strikers up top in tandem with each other.

It seems that we're seeing less and less of them, probably due to more teams deciding to go 4-3-3/4-5-1 and personally, I think its a shame. Theres nothing better than seeing two strikers on the same wave length with each other. Its also very exciting to see Rooney and Berbatov starting to 'click' now.

So come on then, who's your vote go to? From what i've seen, albeit not a great deal, i'm going to have to go with Eto'o + Milito.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not many teams play a traditional 4-4-2 or similar formation with 2 out and out strikers. With that in mind, Drogba and Anelka strikes me as the most prolific out of those around.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
Rooney- Berba is up there. On par with Drogba-Anelka if not better already.

Anduin

Ronaldo/Higuain? Even though they aren't really a 'traditional striking partnership'... Rooney and Berbatov are a good shout as well, they've got 35 league goals and 9 assists together.

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
Rooney- Berba is up there. On par with Drogba-Anelka if not better already.
Rooney and Berbatov are not a good partnership at all. It barely works half the time, Rooney is just so damn good right now he's carrying it, in fact we're a better side without this partnership and playing Valencia and Nani is a 4-3-3.

WireRed

Rooney and Berbatov are not a good partnership at all. It barely works half the time, Rooney is just so damn good right now he's carrying it, in fact we're a better side without this partnership and playing Valencia and Nani is a 4-3-3.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The Roonatov>Drogba & Anelka comment made me :lol:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Villa-Torres for Spain. Doesn't get better than that :drool:
Dunno if it is just me but whenever I've seen them play they haven't seemed all that great as a partnership. Both are top notch which means they will get goals but not really a proper pairing that interact really well. Not been a great striker pairing I can think of for a while now when I think about it. Maybe Barca's front three pairings in the last few years..

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Dunno if it is just me but whenever I've seen them play they haven't seemed all that great as a partnership. Both are top notch which means they will get goals but not really a proper pairing that interact really well. Not been a great striker pairing I can think of for a while now when I think about it. Maybe Barca's front three pairings in the last few years..
Yep, Torres has looked a long way short of his club form whenever I've seen him play for Spain alongside Villa.

Agree about the lack of great striker pairings in recent years. Most of the more impressive link ups these days seem to be a striker and a winger/midfielder. I'm thinking Rooney/Ronaldo and Messi/Eto'o in recent years, and the likes of Fabregas/Van Persie and Valencia/Rooney this year.

Aboutreika18

I remember how the game changed in Euro 2008 when Villa went off injured and Fabregas played behind Torres. They played much better.

The lack of a partnership between them was also evident when they both had poor games against an injury hit Italian defence in the previous round.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The Roonatov>Drogba & Anelka comment made me :lol:
First of all, I'm not in a mood to put up with this shit and I'm posting from my phone.
Like the OP noted, there are not too many true 2 forwards. Most seem to pick one centre forward and one striker/winger.
Second of all, for the games Rooney and Berbatov have played together, they have done really well. They are improving at a fast rate and in the last few weeks, they've been a joy to watch. Even if we compare them to Drogba-Anelka, they are better - as I rate Rooney over Drogba and Berba over Anelka
I would love it if you show some respect to our own players, or were you laughing at me?
Either way not good

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
First of all, I'm not in a mood to put up with this shit and I'm posting from my phone.
Like the OP noted, there are not too many true 2 forwards. Most seem to pick one centre forward and one striker/winger.
Second of all, for the games Rooney and Berbatov have played together, they have done really well. They are improving at a fast rate and in the last few weeks, they've been a joy to watch. Even if we compare them to Drogba-Anelka, they are better - as I rate Rooney over Drogba and Berba over Anelka
I would love it if you show some respect to our own players, or were you laughing at me?
Either way not good
Because they are out players you put their partnership on a pedestal? Then Valencia>Messi:drool:

It's too infrequent and they are hardly on the same wavelength although against Fulham we saw big signs of improvement but let us not pretend it has been convincing all season because it really hasn't.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
It's too infrequent and they are hardly on the same wavelength although against Fulham we saw big signs of improvement but let us not pretend it has been convincing all season because it really hasn't.
I agree to an extent. I'm a fan of Berbatov and he's had a good season, but he's generally linked up better with our wingers than with Rooney directly, although their partnership has been developing quite impressively lately. In theory it should be perfectly balanced, with Rooney's ever-improving movement and Berbatov's superb touch and vision.

In the absence of many (if any) outstanding alternatives I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss CentreForward's point wither though. Drogba and Anelka had a purple patch earlier in the season but as a partnership they're not particularly good - Anelka has been peripheral when playing in the same team as Drogba for awhile now. Ronaldo/Higuain is a good shout but again they look like two outstanding individuals rather than a great partnership, and our two strikers have outscored them, even if that's obviously been mostly down to Rooney. Milito's been carrying the Milito/Eto'o partnership. Aguero and Forlan seem to have done well alongside each other, but they've rarely played well together when I've watched Atletico (which hasn't been that often in fairness).

Defoe and Crouch was a good shout - not world beaters individually or collectively by any means, but a very good partnership. How have Dzeko and Grafite got on this season? They've looked outstanding at times when I've watched them.

Aboutreika18

Dzeko/Grafite scored 62 goals between them last season.

This season they've got 32 between them so far, although this time round Dzeko's got the majority as Grafite's gone off the boil.

Ekeke

I dont believe any team plays 2 out and out strikers right up top all game, certainly not the top clubs. Even with a side like Chelsea and their partnership of Anelka and Drogba, Anelka is playing from deeper, is sometimes deployed wide and looks to create in behind Drogba. It may be 2 strikers, but Anelka is playing the same role that most sides play with when they have 2 forwards. He's playing the second striker, or "in the hole" if you must use the term to describe a player playing behind another striker.

All of the sides I can think of have one player coming short, even if they take turns being that player. Because thats how it works and how to stop them being isolated.

With that taken into consideration, any front 2 or front player with another player "in the hole" is much the same thing.

Laphroaig

Drogba and Anelka are not a partnership from every game I see them, one plays upfront and one on the wing, ignore the formation.
Yeah. If they're a partnership they're certainly not a very good partnership.

Because they are out players you put their partnership on a pedestal?
If to rate Berbatov and Rooney as a better partnership than Drogba and Anelka is to put them on a pedestal, then you've clearly put the latter partnership on a pedestal. Neither have been very great as a partnership. And I agree with CF that Rooney is better than Drogba and Berbatov better than Anelka. You may well disagree, but to find the opinion ridiculous or even controversial is madness.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I used to love Jo-Vagner love at CSKA... Augero - Forlan?.. Higuain - Benzema/Ronaldo/Raul?... Anelka - Drogba?... 4-3-3 is taking over so it's hard to find teams who play with 2 traditional strikers.

MacMUFC

As has been said, there aren't too many in club football these days.
Whenever i've seen Villa-Torres play together, it seems they rely more in individual ability than anything else. Its an effective partnership, because both of them are fecking good, not neccessarily because they work well together, then again I could be talking out of my arse, cos I havent seen them play together all that much.

Besides, this was supposed to be about club football anyway ;)

What top club sides actually line up 4-4-2 on a regular basis nowadays?
Us? Chelsea? Inter? Just not in every game. The three teams i've mentioned are still valid, because they play 4-4-2 in almost every game, but the big ones.

Berbatov-Keane was a cracking partnership.
Yeah, I was gonna say that too. I also liked the Rooney-Saha combination, that was a proper partnership.

lysglimt

Scout

As has been said, there aren't too many in club football these days.

Any striking partnership would be great with Xavi, Alonso and Inieste playing behind them. Hell - even I would have a chance of scoring once in a while :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
If Ronaldo-Higuain counts, you can make a case for Messi-Zlatan, even though it's even less of a partnership.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Torres-Villa don't click as a partnership at all.