Who decided Spurs could use Wembley?

TheReligion

Abusive
Obviously I've created this now the cup is at semi final stage and essentially Spurs have two home games to win the competition.

It's got me thinking, who decided Spurs could use Wembley and how can it be seen as fair? Not only does it affect the cup but no other clubs have the luxury of using another stadium when redeveloping, least not the biggest one in the country.

Djemba-Djemba

It should have been agreed that if Spurs reached the FA Cup semi final they'd have to play at a neutral ground.

It's unfair to the rest of the competition.

alsabi

I hope that at some point they revert to the old way of doing it - semis at neutral grounds around the country, Old Trafford, Villa Park etc. Make getting to Wembley special again. How long before the FA get back the return on their investment?

TheReligion

Abusive
It should have been agreed that if Spurs reached the FA Cup semi final they'd have to play at a neutral ground.

Yeah I find it very difficult to understand why more of a fuss wasn't made about it at the time.

AlwaysRed66

They should be playing at a neutral ground central to both teams like in the past. Unfortunately greed is more important to the people who run the game.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Yeah maybe they should still do it. No reason we can't have it at Villa Park again as one off.

TheReligion

Abusive
I hope that at some point they revert to the old way of doing it - semis at neutral grounds around the country, Old Trafford, Villa Park etc. Make getting to Wembley special again. How long before the FA get back the return on their investment?
The villa park semis hold good memories. Ruudddddd.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Came to this thread to express this sentiment.

Second this post.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah maybe they should still do it. No reason we can't have it at Villa Park again as one off.
It's done guys. No use bleating about it, Wembley it is. Let's go there and get the fecking job done

Giggs86

Well at least we have our excuses already in place before the ball was even kicked.

el3mel

It's absurd. They'll have huge advantage in both semi-finals and (hopefully not!) final. They should have moved to other neutral stadium, maybe the Olympic Stadium of WHU or something else.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bayern didn't win the Champions League when they played the final at the Allianz.

The slightest of advantages they have in the cup is offset somewhat by the disadvantage they have had in the league, as their start at Wembley was slow, and I imagine it will still not feel like their 'home', because they know that it isn't. They just have more fans than the opposition in there at 'home' games, but it's still not the ground that ther players have played in for years, like every other team.

It's a lot of noise about nothing IMO.

Canagel

Exactly this. Wembley has lost its glamour in recent times. It should only be used for finals and finals only.

Cliche Guevara

Even The Emirates would have been fair and still has a decent capacity.

The support numbers being equal, however, should hopefully balance it out a bit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Exactly this. Wembley has lost its glamour in recent times. It should only be used for finals and finals only.
Yep but FA want to make as much money as possible. Surprised they haven't renamed it.

Sigma

They have a slight advantage, not too big. Fan sizes will be the same.

Treble

Bayern didn't win the Champions League when they played the final at the Allianz.

The slightest of advantages they have in the cup is offset somewhat by the disadvantage they have had in the league, as their start at Wembley was slow, and I imagine it will still not feel like their 'home', because they know that it isn't. They just have more fans than the opposition in there at 'home' games, but it's still not the ground that ther players have played in for years, like every other team.

Indeed. Some fans are ready with the excuses. If you are good, you can win. Sevilla won at Old Trafford. And dominated.

Blind

Spot on, it's definitely low on the list of possible excuses if things don't go to plan in the semi final.

TheReligion

Abusive

Disagree. The players will be well used to the dynamics and playing surface. Plus the occasion won't get to them as in some circumstances it can.

Bizarre and unfair decision to allow them to use it in the first place. What other club could fall back to using Wembley just because they want to build a new stadium exactly where their old one was!

thisISben

It's absurd. They'll have huge advantage in both semi-finals and (hopefully not!) final. They should have moved to other neutral stadium, maybe the Olympic Stadium of WHU or something else.
Both? There’s only one leg.

But it is ridiculous how this is allowed. Even if they’re not in their home dressing room, as soon as they’re on the pitch it won’t feel too far off it does the 25+ times they’ve played there this season.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I don't think it's that big of a deal. The fans will be equally split, so what advantage have they got? Being used to playing there? I dunno how much that helps, it's just a normal football pitch.

el3mel

Both? There’s only one leg.

But it is ridiculous how this is allowed. Even if they’re not in their home dressing room, as soon as they’re on the pitch it won’t feel too far off it does the 25+ times they’ve played there this season.
"Both" refer to semi-final and final if they reach it, hopefully not. :D

AlwaysRed66

It is ridiculous going there before the final. Media & pundits keep hyping it up by saying only 2 matches to win to get to Wembley, then just win this one. Sounds good when you hear your team is going to Wembley, but less so if people say you have reached the Semi Finals.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea in a couple of years probably.
You'd have a good case given they have allowed Spurs the luxury. What would a Northern team do though in such circumstances?

Very unfair. The club's should have to plan around development issues not be given an easy rehome to the national stadium.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They really suffered at the start of the season having to play at Wembley, dropped quite a few points very early on so ut's hurt them in the league. It's surely to their advantage for the semi though.

dogwithabone

By the time we play the semi they will have played around 30 games at Wembley this season. Whichever way you look at it that is some advantage to their players over ours.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I don't think it's that big of a deal. The fans will be equally split.
It's a bit more than fans imo. It's the same routine for them as a home game bar the dressing room. They will use the sane hotel prior, be familiar with how the pitch plays, feel comfortable looking at the Wembley stadium without awe because it is all normal to them... Hence home advantage. People on twitter harping that they don't have home advantage because we have the same amount of fans are just wrong abd aren't thinking about what is a normal home match routine for spurs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is quite a hilarious irony, that so many were saying how Wembley would be a massive disadvantage for them, yet now, it's seen as a massive advantage in the FA Cup.

Not the draw any of us wanted! But at least it's now, not in the final.

If we can hold out for the first ten seconds we might have a chance this time!
And obviously we'll have more fans there than last time. (Although clearly there were huge amounts in the Tottenham ends...like me!)

TheReligion

Abusive
Hey look on the bright side, you are the inferior side and you got shafted on the venue. In that set-up Mourinho should be able to bring out the best "us against the world, unless you lose, then it´s just you" mentality.
Do you just come on the forum to WUM?

Why not try and post something relevant to the thread.

alsabi

Do Spurs have, say, preferred pitch dimensions for their Wembley home games and are they different from the set-up when it's being used as a neutral venue?

ajay1002

It does give them a bit of an advantage, how can it not? If the semi was at OT, even with the fans split 50/50, nobody would try to claim it doesn't give an advantage to Man Utd. Spurs should not have been allowed to play at Wembley at all this season. For me, it cheapens the achievement of playing there. They should have had to share the Olympic Stadium with WHU. I also think having the semis at Wembley is wrong. Should have stayed at neutral club grounds or the Millennium Stadium

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Disagree. The players will be well used to the dynamics and playing surface. Plus the occasion won't get to them as in some circumstances it can.

Bizarre and unfair decision to allow them to use it in the first place. What other club could fall back to using Wembley just because they want to build a new stadium exactly where their old one was!
It has given them severe delusions of grandeur, with the higher gates, ignoring that tonneloads of the "extra fans" are just tourists.
When I was at Wembley for the league game, the hard core are so split out, it was a fairly quiet experience for a lot of the game.