Who decided Spurs could use Wembley?

TheReligion

Abusive
What would a Northern team do if they wanted to rebuild? Would the FA find them a suitable venue?

Seems very unfair.

RMD83

How can people honestly say that spurs have no advantage when they have played on the same pitch every other week all season. The same familiar surroundings. Spurs should have been made to play this game at a neutral stadium. Crowd split or not they have an advantage. But in reality it is no different than the old format had we drawn them away. Wembley semis have already ruined the prestige of a Wembley day out in the FA cup. Sadly I feel we are the underdogs in this tie.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I really don't think it matters us playing Spurs at Wembley. It's not really their home ground anyway, its like a hotel until their new home is ready.
I hope the players and manager don't have the same mentality as some of the posters in here. If we're better than them we'll beat them its as simple as that.

pauldyson1uk

I hope that at some point they revert to the old way of doing it - semis at neutral grounds around the country, Old Trafford, Villa Park etc. Make getting to Wembley special again. How long before the FA get back the return on their investment?
They never will , too much money is involved.
I have been to a few semi Finals , couple I remember 2-2 v Liverpool at Everton and beating Arsenal at Villa Park.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wembley was mean't to make this season difficult - the entire narrative at the start of the season was that we would struggle yet now it's in our favour? Yes we may know the ground well but on the day of a cup match it's still a neutral venue as it will be a 50/50 split in fans in attendance.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It's a bit more than fans imo. It's the same routine for them as a home game bar the dressing room. They will use the sane hotel prior, be familiar with how the pitch plays, feel comfortable looking at the Wembley stadium without awe because it is all normal to them... Hence home advantage. People on twitter harping that they don't have home advantage because we have the same amount of fans are just wrong abd aren't thinking about what is a normal home match routine for spurs
Okay, it's wrong to say they don't have any advantage but I don't think all of that would make much of a difference. The fans are by far the biggest factor.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with people complaining about it. I just personally don't care.

IRELANDUNITED

That was my first thought too, Spurs away in the Cup semi. I agree with a previous poster it should be at villa park or somewhere. Make getting to Wembley special again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Disagree. The players will be well used to the dynamics and playing surface. Plus the occasion won't get to them as in some circumstances it can.

Bizarre and unfair decision to allow them to use it in the first place. What other club could fall back to using Wembley just because they want to build a new stadium exactly where their old one was!
I understand they will be used to the playing surface, but the dimensions will be fairly similar to OT, both are big pitches, and talking about such fine margins as grass length and surface hardness doesn't seem like that much of an advantage. I think it's hard to say if the occasion will have less of an effect on them, as the division of support will be split. It's up to our fans to be louder and take hold of the momentum. Spurs don't have an advantage there. Our squad have played 2 finals there in 2 years, this will be our 3rd in a row, we should be well suited to the occasion.

Whilst it may give them a very slight advantage in this particular competition, Wembley overall has given Spurs more disadvantages, as they had to play their European games there last season despite White Hart Lane still being their ground, and it took them a while this season to really get used to it being their home ground. Of the top 6, they have a worse home record than everyone except Chelsea. They're not at all invincible at Wembley.

Bayern playing the CL final at the Allianz was a much bigger advantage, as it's their proper home ground and they have played there for years, and they still lost. I believe Roma lost a final in their own ground too.

Also, won't Chelsea be using Wembley when they redevelop Stamford Bridge?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Okay, it's wrong to say they don't have any advantage but I don't think all of that would make much of a difference. The fans are by far the biggest factor.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with people complaining about it. I just personally don't care.
An advantage is an advantage no matter how little and if that tweet above is correct, that is another little thing added to the lists of litte advantages that go in Spurs' favour. We'll still twat em' though

TheReligion

Abusive
Wembley was mean't to make this season difficult - the entire narrative at the start of the season was that we would struggle yet now it's in our favour? Yes we may know the ground well but on the day of a cup match it's still a neutral venue as it will be a 50/50 split in fans in attendance.
I think it's more a question of is it fair? Not just for the cup game (although that's what prompted the thread) but in general. Would a Northern team be given a new venue when rebuilding a stadium? Don't think the FA would care much.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think it's more a question of is it fair? Not just for the cup game (although that's what prompted the thread) but in general. Would a Northern team be given a new venue when rebuilding a stadium? Don't think the FA would care much.
Well that is a bigger question I guess. I don't know what the answer is.

thisISben

It was difficult but considering the semi final and final would be in the last quarter of the season you’ve had plenty of time to bed in, which you have done.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the answer is no they wouldn't.

Seems most unfair in the grander scheme of things and clear bias towards the South.
Probably yes I agree - tbf though there is a general bias to the South (London really) in the UK and that is unlikely to change. You would think the UK ended just north of London if you watched the media.

JG3001

Whilst I agree it gives an unfair advantage, we all know Mourinho has the perfect excuse lined up if we lose this now.

montpelier

London media would be whingeing like hell if this happened to one of their clubs & rattling on about it devaluing the competition too,

Be interesting to see how it plays out in this instance - it's obviously completely stupid that it's been allowed to happen.

TheReligion

Abusive
Probably yes I agree - tbf though there is a general bias to the South (London really) in the UK and that is unlikely to change. You would think the UK ended just north of London if you watched the media.
How did the whole Wembley thing happen?

I personally think there were plenty of clubs within the London area you could have shared with so to take the national stadium is pretty appalling from the FA. It's not like there were a shortage of potential stadia to use. Quite the opposite in London infact!

montpelier

Good opportunity for a quick snark at Mourinho by (so-called) Utd fans though, innit? - :lol: :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How did the whole Wembley thing happen?

I personally think there were plenty of clubs within the London area you could have shared with so to take the national stadium is pretty appalling from the FA. It's not like there were a shortage of potential stadia to use. Quite the opposite in London infact!
No idea but I guess it probably came down to cash at the end of the day, as most things do.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It certainly wasn't a transparent process by the looks of it as no one seems to know how it come about.
True - at least it will be over next season. Chelsea could be at Wembley for 3-4 years if what I read is true though!

dove

Half of people in London think London is a country :lol:

We are Manchester United, let’s stop complaining about spurs having a small advantage.

50% of the fans at the Semi will be supporting Utd. If we don’t go through it’s because we weren’t good enough, not because Spurs play there. Get a grip.

montpelier

It certainly wasn't a transparent process by the looks of it as no one seems to know how it come about.
They're separate & different contractual agreements.

Spurs hire Wembley for their home games - FA hire Wembley for the cup semis.

Would be my guess.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Half of people in London think London is a country :lol:
Yeah there is a bubble around that place that makes people forget the rest of the UK exists. If you think it's bad in the north of England you should come live in Northern Ireland! We are truly invisible!

Redderp

Teams had the opportunity to challenge the decision before the season, but no one did. Probably because it’s only for a season and Spurs had to play their season at Wembley instead of White Hart Lane. They had a crazy good home record at WHL and lost points at Wembley, so you win some and you lose some. Honestly i’m not that fussed about it. It’s not like they have played at Wembley for many years, it’s only like 20 games this season.

I also don’t think it’s fair for the smaller teams if they had drawn Spurs. A trip to Wembley is awesome and you can’t really decide on a stadium a month before a game.

Also i don’t agree with people who only wants the final to be at Wembley. It’s easy to say as a fan of a big team, but for small teams fans a trip to Wembley is more likely with the semifinals being played there. And everyone paid for the stadium so it’s only fair more fans gets to have the opportunity to go there.

Siorac

A Northern team wouldn't want to use Wembley for obvious reasons though. And yeah, the FA wouldn't build them a new stadium but then they didn't do that for Spurs either. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

montpelier

I think we should withdraw in protest.

That'd show 'em not to mess with us.

TheReligion

Abusive
A Northern team wouldn't want to use Wembley for obvious reasons though. And yeah, the FA wouldn't build them a new stadium but then they didn't do that for Spurs either. It's not a big deal in my opinion.
So the FA helped Spurs out. How would they help a Northern club under similar circumstances?

In London there are plenty of groundshare opportunities. The FA should have told Spurs to feck off.

We are Manchester United, let’s stop complaining about spurs having a small advantage.
Get a grip, it's got nothing to do with a small advantage. If you played it at OT and gave 50% of the ground to Spurs, it wouldn't be neutral and the entire point of the semi is to be played at a neutral arena.

It's a bit daft and should've been ironed out before the season. Add to that I fecking hate the semis being at Wembley to start with.

dove

Yeah there is a bubble around that place that makes people forget the rest of the UK exists. If you think it's bad in the north of England you should come live in Northern Ireland! We are truly invisible!
Don't think a lot of people heard of Northern Ireland at all over here :lol:

On topic, it's a joke really, FA are greedy as feck. There are like 5 good enough stadiums in London only to host FA cup or Spurs matches. It's a clear advantage to Spurs which shouldn't happen.