Who do you think will win the World Cup and why?

Blackwidow

Should be something like this:

-------------Neuer/MatS------------
Kimmich-Boateng-Hummels-Hector
--Khedira/Gündogan-Kroos---------
Müller----------Özil------Sané/Reus
---------------Werner----------------

Maybe Goretzka/Weigl as options next to Kroos, or Philipp Max instead of Hector.
Phillipp Max is not even in the thinking of Löw as he told in the press conference today. Max' strength is the crosses - but what do you want with crosses with this offense. And he is not that great defensively. If you already have Kimmich interpreting the full back very offensive...

Weigl has a bad season and probably will not make the squad. Reus has chances - but I am not sure Löw really takes him because there is always doubts that he can be consistent after being out so long because of his ACL. He had some matches but is out again because of muscle problems.

As Löw likes to play more defensively in the Cup competitions I could imagine him playing with all of Khedira, Gündogan and Kroos and a Müller-Werner-Özil offensive row. I would even prefer that to playing Draxler on the left as I think that he has better cards with Löw than Sane has.

The best players?
In the last four years Boateng, Hummels, Kroos and Müller (without the Euros). Kimmich has been great, too - that right side with him and Müller had together 7 goals and 16 assists in the qualifiers.

Last edited:

Kapardin

Can say it will be Spain, France, Germany and Brazil in the semis assuming no smaller team upsets them.

After that, I think it will be the managers' quality which will get them through since the squads are all top class. Loew and Tite are better than Lopetegui and Deschamps, so I think its' fair to predict a Germany vs Brazil final. And Brazil will likely win and avenge the 7-1.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Belgium have next to no chance of winning this with their current manager, I'd be surprised if they reach the semis considering they'll most likely play Brazil or Germany in the quarters.

Canucantona20

Russia will win it, no way Putin will have his country embarrassed on home soil. It will be like the 2002 World Cup except so obvious even with VAR doing a replay 5 times just to rub it in to every country.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
I think there are 2 main contenders Germany and Spain. Brazil just behind them and then you have some squads who can if the circumstances go for them get far Argentina, France, Colombia, Uruguay, Portugal and Belgium but I think from these dark horses Argentina is the best bet.

Dark horses of Europe: France maybe one of the best squads but are they a team? They almost lost in qualification to Luxemburg. Portugal can beat anyone on a good day but they lack dept, Belgium on paper a very good team but I don't believe in Martinez and Lukaku isn't my first choice in front. They didn't beat a top team for a whole time.

Other teams that I'm Curious too see Peru, Mexico, Croatia, Senegal, Japan because they could bring some nice to watch football but to win the trophy is a brigde too far.

Simbo

I think England will win because it is a knockout competition where literally anything can happen, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can’t look past Germany again. I think they just have a ruthless clinical edge at the top nobody else does in the international stage.

ZAGREB RED

Think it's pretty open, but Spain and Germany will be the obvious favourites. Not sure who could be dark horses, Russia maybe being the hosts, but I doubt it, Belgium maybe.

Mach4

Supports
Manchester City
1.Belgium: DeBruyne and Kompany are strong leaders. Lukaku is looking realyr hungry and wants to prove himself by all means necessary. Mertens is quick and dangerous. Hazard is hazardous.The team has always been talented but have underperformed due to a lack maturity on the world stage. The key players are hitting their prime, so they have an excellent chance.

2. Brazil: The team us supremely talented but they may suffer from complacency and tactical discipline.

3. Argentina: Great players but have always underperformed. This may be their year.

4.France: Fantastic team but I think they are too young and the French camp is prone to indiscipline and self-sabotage.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If Messi helped Argentina beat Brazil in the final, I think I could just die happy at that moment. But perhaps someone surprising like Belgium finally living up to their promise/hype.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Spain.

Why? First because they have players who already won under 21's Euros with Julen Lopetegui, and are used to play high level football, be it at Real, Barcelona or Atlético, even outside Spain.

The second factor is Lopetegui himself, because I think he is suited to international football, and if we have something to judge by, the 2 performances of Spain vs Italy on the qualifiers were a upgrade on Del Bosque NT at least since 2012.

The third factor is because they are on our group, so if in 2014 we were trashed by Germany and then they became World Champions, nothing more reasonable to find excuses in advance to say we were outplayed by the future champions. :lol:

Blackwidow

The third factor is because they are on our group, so if in 2014 we were trashed by Germany and then they became World Champions, nothing more reasonable to find excuses in advance to say we were outplayed by the future champions. :lol:
This match?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This match?

With so many things to remember the best 1 you have is that?

Yes the match where the German media went euphoric saying Muller is better than Cristiano because he scores a lot of goals in the WC's.

Seriously, Cristiano shouldn't even played that WC, he was injured.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal

Yes the match where the German media went euphoric saying Muller is better than Cristiano because he scores a lot of goals in the WC's.

To be fair, everyone was injured. lol

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
To be fair, everyone was injured. lol
Yup lets not even remember only in the first match we lost Hugo Almeida and Coentrão, on the second Patricio, André Almeida and Postiga, in the last match vs Ghana we were already playing with our third keeper (Beto), who got injured in the end, what a wonderful preparation by Bento. :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
This match?

This one...

How Muller has the clean reputation he has I'll never understand... one of the dirtiest players in the world. That was still not as bad as the Ballack thing in 2008 though. Really not sure if Portugal are the best of teams for the germans to talk trash to :lol:

Blackwidow

You talked about that Portugal match, or? That is the match my World Cup 2014 began with. Ok, it is the freekick with the 1-giant-wall that a lot people remember first - but I like that JustCartoons videos...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This one...

That was still not as bad as the Ballack thing in 2008 though. Really not sure if Portugal are the best of teams for the germans to talk trash to :lol:
Yup, Muller is such a likeable chap, I wonder if I had to play against him...

Blackwidow

Yup, Muller is such a likeable chap, I wonder if I had to play against him...
The only dive he ever made was in the first two months of his professional career - and you will not find videos about that one. Since then there was no foul without contact. And he never got a yellow card for complaining. He got once one for a dive that clearly was none in a cup match.

When I look about any other player in the game today that agenda looks pretty clean for me...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The only dive he ever made was in the first two months of his professional career - and you will not find videos about that one. Since then there was no foul without contact. And he never got a yellow cards for complaining etc.

When I look about any other player in the game today that agenda looks pretty clean for me...
Eh, do you recognize at least Muller for the outsiders is someone easy to dislike? I actually understand why so many people dislike Cristiano after all...

bebeanderson

My darkhorse is Colombia, just because they were a very tough nut to crack when we played them at home. I haven't watched any other game of them, so its a very uneducated opinion.

My disappointment pick are Brazil and Germany because : reverse jynx, too hyped and Germany looks a bit toothless up front.

My favorite is Argentina because Adidas will buy the world cup for the Messi fairy tale storyline.

buckooo1978

France have the most exciting squad but like Belgium to a degree they dont seem to be playing at their poitential

Germany for me with Brazil second favourites - 2 very well balanced teams I'd say

Marcus

England. It's easier to play long ball tactics when you haven't as much time to train with your national team as your club.

stepic

I think England will win because it is a knockout competition where literally anything can happen, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.
the WC has also been a knockout competition in the years between 1966 and now.

King.of.Red

Germany. Squad with many amazing talents and world class players. They also have great team work.
Although I have big expectation to France, but I doubt Deschamps.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
My top 3 favourites would be

Germany - Great team with most of the same squad from the previous world cup. Their players still look hungry to win more tournaments.
Brazil - I think their coach has found the perfect formula with the available players he has. Had a fantastic qualifying campaign and have tremendous players in each position.
France - They have arguably the best squad in national football right now. They came close in 2016, I think they'll do well this tournament.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Spain, Germany, Brazil and France seem to be the strongest teams.

I watch too little international football to know who is playing the best out of them. But I'd go for Germany or Brazil if I had to choose.

mvpkennedy

The stand out teams are: Germany, France, Brazil, Spain and Belgium. Maybe in that order. My line ups would be:

Germany:
Neuer/ter Stegen - Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Hector - Kroos, Gundogan/Khedira/Can/Goretzka, Muller, Ozil, Reus/Sane - Werner

France:
Lloris - Sidibe/Sagne, Varane, Umtiti/Koscielny, Kurzawa - Kante, Pogba, Matiudi/Tolisso - Mbappe, Dembele/Martial, Griezmann

Brazil:
Alisson/Ederson - D.Alves, Marquinhos, T.Silva, Marcelo - Casemiro/Paulinho, Fernandinho, Willian/D.Costa, Coutinho, Neymar - G.Jesus/Firmino

Spain:
De Gea - Carvajal, Pique, Ramos, Alba - Busquets, Thiago/Koke/Saul, Iniesta - Isco, D.Silva - Morata

Belgium:
Courtois - Alderweireld, Verthongen, Vermaelen - Meunier, Witsel, M.Dembele, Carrasco - de Bruyne, Hazard, Mertens/Lukaku