Who has had the better international career? Messi or Ronaldo?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo.

Little debate on this one.

Their was a Portugal before him and one after. All time scorer in Euro and the qualifiers and has won 1(2) trophies for Portugal.

Considering the competition and the difference in quality historically between Portugal and Argentina it’s obviously a much bigger achievement.
Frankly this is sooooo beyond debate.

Portugal seldomly qualify for any WC/Euro finals before Ronaldo, they've made every single one since he's been in the team.

Argentina have hardly missed any WC/Copa finals before Messi, and they've won far less during his career than before.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Frankly this is sooooo beyond debate.

Portugal seldomly qualify for any WC/Euro finals before Ronaldo, they've made every single one since he's been in the team.

Argentina have hardly missed any WC/Copa finals before Messi, and they've won far less during his career than before.
This is funny. So when Portugal qualified for Euro 2000 and WC 2002 without Ronaldo, how did that happen?

Obviously that was the beginning of a new period for them, led by other actual great players that Portugal had like Figo. Ronaldo was part of that, not the beginning and end :lol:

Also, if Ronaldo had actually performed better in international tournaments then it might not be a debate. But he hasn’t, so it is.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Also, if Ronaldo had actually performed better in international tournaments then it might not be a debate. But he hasn’t, so it is.
In Euros:
1 title, another final lost, a golden boot, a silver boot and the new record of most goals scored in the competition surpassing the previous record by more than 50%

Conclusion:
He should have performed better :lol:

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Coming from someone who supports Porto and Portugal, and possibly who's English, whilst amazing and better than my 0% portugese, you might be a bit biased no?

My post had a big hint of sarcasm as I think they are both phenomenon and will be spoken about like Pele is today...yet there is not a debate about Pele...nor Cruijff, nor Maradona as non of those had players who were at the same elite world class level they are....we are blessed with having two Pele's, two Cruijffs, two Maradona's in these amazing players.
Of course I have a bias, same with everyone else, really, some more than others.
To me they have the same quality, with different flavours. If that is a bias towards one maybe, but it is what I rationally try to conclude from what they did.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
In Euros:
1 title, another final lost, a golden boot, a silver boot and the new record of most goals scored in the competition surpassing the previous record by more than 50%

Conclusion:
His record was surpassed by someone who held it by scoring all those goals in a single tournament while Ronaldo needed 4-5 Euros to break that record.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
In Euros:

Conclusion:
Let’s examine this a little closer shall we.

1 title? Yes, but that’s a team trophy and he missed 75% of the final. Was he player of the tournament? No

A golden boot? Yes, but all of his goals came in the group stages, three of them were penalties and it should have been shared with Schick (who actually scored much better goals). Was CR the player of the tournament? No.

A silver boot? Please

Most goals scored in the Euros? Yes. Breaking the record of a guy who scored all his goals in one tournament when it took Ronaldo 5. Also, he’s managed exactly 3 goals in the knockout stages of the Euros and World Cup combined (zero in the WC), having played in 9 tournaments. Again, not great.

Bottom line is he’s been good but not great in international tournaments. There’s no way around it. He’s the only GOAT candidate in history who’s not been the POTT at any international tournament. Not one. Not even the one where his country freaking won! That takes some doing…..

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
His record was surpassed by someone who held it by scoring all those goals in a single tournament while Ronaldo needed 4-5 Euros to break that record.
Yes, fortunately for Ronaldo all european players are horrendous that's why no one did it.

Let’s examine this a little closer shall we.

1 title? Yes, but that’s a team trophy and he missed 75% of the final. Was he player of the tournament? No

A golden boot? Yes, but all of his goals came in the group stages, three of them were penalties and it should have been shared with Schick (who actually scored much better goals). Was CR the player of the tournament? No.

A silver boot? Please

Most goals scored in the Euros? Yes. Breaking the record of a guy who scored all his goals in one tournament when it took Ronaldo 5. Also, he’s managed exactly 3 goals in the knockout stages of the Euros and World Cup combined (zero in the WC), having played in 9 tournaments. Again, not great.

Bottom line is he’s been good but not great in international tournaments. There’s no way around it. He’s the only GOAT candidate in history who’s not been the POTT at any international tournament. Not one. Not even the one where his country freaking won! That takes some doing…..
I could be really biased too if I was this dishonest, look:

Messi in the 2021 Copa final: he was so bad he probably should have left injured early.
1 successful dribble and 17 times dispossessed in 90 minutes, look at this colossal impact.
But CONMEBOL gave him the award of best player!

Messi golden boot! Oh wait he scored against Chile (group stage), Bolivia (group stage) and Ecuador (QF). Amazing decisive goals.

You seemed pretty excited some pages ago that Messi was the 2nd player with more goal involvement in the 2014 WC, which actually is completely false, but Ronaldo have a bigger impact in 2016 with his silver boot is not relevant!

Messi broke the record of... oh wait he didn't, there are 6 players with more goals in the Copa than him.
Messi also scored 5 goals in the knockout stages of the WC and Copa! I mean the Copa! Ecuador, Mexico, United States, Peru and Venezuela, look at this stellar arrangement!
And how many competitions did he need to play to get that many? 10! 1 more than Ronaldo. And in total he played 9 more games than him!

Bottom line is he’s been good but not great in international tournaments. There’s no way around it. He’s the only GOAT candidate in history who’s never scored against a top team at any international tournament. Not one. Not even the one where his country freaking won! That takes some doing…..

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yes, fortunately for Ronaldo all european players are horrendous that's why no one did it.

I could be really biased too if I was this dishonest, look:

Messi in the 2021 Copa final: he was so bad he probably should have left injured early.
1 successful dribble and 17 times dispossessed in 90 minutes, look at this colossal impact.

Messi golden boot! Oh wait he scored against Chile (group stage), Bolivia (group stage) and Ecuador (QF). Amazing decisive goals.

You seemed pretty excited some pages ago that Messi was the 2nd player with more goal involvement in the 2014 WC, which actually is completely false, but Ronaldo have a bigger impact in 2016 with his silver boot is not relevant!

Messi broke the record of... oh wait he didn't, there are 6 players with more goals in the Copa than him.
Messi also scored 5 goals in the knockout stages of the WC and Copa! I mean the Copa! Ecuador, Mexico, United States, Peru and Venezuela, look at this stellar arrangement!
And how many competitions did he need to play to get that many? 10! 1 more than Ronaldo. And in total he played 9 more games than him!

Bottom line is he’s been good but not great in international tournaments. There’s no way around it. He’s the only GOAT candidate in history who’s never scored against a top team at any international tournament. Not one. Not even the one where his country freaking won! That takes some doing…..
Ah the old ‘it’s a conspiracy’ argument. Always solid. Yes, that explains why Messi has 3 POTTs and Ronaldo has none. Nothing to do with performances at all. Nada. Zilch.

By the way, I think you’re confusing me with someone else on that ‘second most goal involvements in 2014’ bit. I don’t recall ever saying that.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Now that Messi has the trophy in his cabinet, that single black mark is gone, despite the laughably predictable attempts from ConstantlyShiftingTheGoalposts FC to try to keep their guy in the conversation. In terms of achievement overall, they are probably roughly equal, but it would depend on what you prioritise. More medals, more MotM awards, more player of the tournament awards, more final appearances, First player in all football history to win a NT tournament as top scorer, top assister AND Golden Ball, or do you prefer racking up mickey mouse goals against Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and the utter Z grade trash Euro forwards get to fill their boots with? Go look it up, his "wonderful competitive" NT record is almost HALF against the Gibraltars and Armenias of the world. Bolivia are comfortably the worst team currently in SA and even so they'd be midtable in a Euro qualifier group. People here in Europe don't watch it, so they don't understand it.

People in here will still denigrate SA football, having not watched Argentina get booted up and down the pitch every single match, whilst lauding Ronaldo for this imaginary "yes, but he stood on the sidelines in a really impressive way which somehow translates to something". thing. GTFOH with this tripe. :lol: Right up there with giving him an assist for heading the ball towards goal and someone scoring the rebound after the keeper saved it. That's not an assist, has never been an assist in any universe, and is even less credible that the cheerleader theory.

For what it's worth, Portugal are also currently ranked higher in FIFA's list than Argentina. People keep listing all these forwards like Higuain :lol: ffs without mentioning that both these guys need quality teammates to help win tournaments. There's no point in being stacked in one position and nowhere else. Di Maria missed one final and got injured in another final, and it effects how the team perform. Now this one he gets to play and surprise he is a great attacking outlet when Brazil are trying to stop Messi and Lautaro.

Might be harsh but.....so what.:wenger: Ronaldo drones in here have spent literal years flipping and flopping, changing what is the best criteria to use depending on what one Ronaldo was doing better in at the time. Talk utter shite most of the time. Go on twitter, facebook, see the hordes of ultra casuals talking down Messi because he scored against Eibar, when he has more goals against Madrid. The Euros being "stronger" is irrelevant when it has more than twice the number of teams, and Portugal's 2016 win was the flukiest run of utter jam ever seen on Earth, since they finished third in a Group of Life, then played middling Croatia, before they were WC finalists, then Poland, then true world power Wales in the semi. Not to mention not having the constant pressure of the ancient winning past on your shoulders either. No-one thought Portugal were winning anything despite the players in their squad, but people always put that label on Argentina even when they have a patchy team like in 2018. And in 2018, just like in 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019, Argentina generally lose against the tournament hosts, the tournament winners, or Germany.

TL;DR = Probably about the same, but Ronaldo fans talk a lot of shite to try to pretend otherwise.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Now that Messi has the trophy in his cabinet, that single black mark is gone, despite the laughably predictable attempts from ConstantlyShiftingTheGoalposts FC to try to keep their guy in the conversation. In terms of achievement overall, they are probably roughly equal, but it would depend on what you prioritise. More medals, more MotM awards, more player of the tournament awards, more final appearances, First player in all football history to win a NT tournament as top scorer, top assister AND Golden Ball, or do you prefer racking up mickey mouse goals against Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and the utter Z grade trash Euro forwards get to fill their boots with? Go look it up, his "wonderful competitive" NT record is almost HALF against the Gibraltars and Armenias of the world. Bolivia are comfortably the worst team currently in SA and even so they'd be midtable in a Euro qualifier group. People here in Europe don't watch it, so they don't understand it.

People in here will still denigrate SA football, having not watched Argentina get booted up and down the pitch every single match, whilst lauding Ronaldo for this imaginary "yes, but he stood on the sidelines in a really impressive way which somehow translates to something". thing. GTFOH with this tripe. :lol: Right up there with giving him an assist for heading the ball towards goal and someone scoring the rebound after the keeper saved it. That's not an assist, has never been an assist in any universe, and is even less credible that the cheerleader theory.

For what it's worth, Portugal are also currently ranked higher in FIFA's list than Argentina. People keep listing all these forwards like Higuain :lol: ffs without mentioning that both these guys need quality teammates to help win tournaments. There's no point in being stacked in one position and nowhere else. Di Maria missed one final and got injured in another final, and it effects how the team perform. Now this one he gets to play and surprise he is a great attacking outlet when Brazil are trying to stop Messi and Lautaro.

Might be harsh but.....so what.:wenger: Ronaldo drones in here have spent literal years flipping and flopping, changing what is the best criteria to use depending on what one Ronaldo was doing better in at the time. Talk utter shite most of the time. Go on twitter, facebook, see the hordes of ultra casuals talking down Messi because he scored against Eibar, when he has more goals against Madrid. The Euros being "stronger" is irrelevant when it has more than twice the number of teams, and Portugal's 2016 win was the flukiest run of utter jam ever seen on Earth, since they finished third in a Group of Life, then played middling Croatia, before they were WC finalists, then Poland, then true world power Wales in the semi. Not to mention not having the constant pressure of the ancient winning past on your shoulders either. No-one thought Portugal were winning anything despite the players in their squad, but people always put that label on Argentina even when they have a patchy team like in 2018. And in 2018, just like in 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019, Argentina generally lose against the tournament hosts, the tournament winners, or Germany.

TL;DR = Probably about the same, but Ronaldo fans talk a lot of shite to try to pretend otherwise.
I do think it’s funny that when Messi hadn’t won an international trophy it was ‘he can’t win an international trophy with Argentina’ and when he won the Copa all of a sudden that was a Mickey Mouse trophy that was far inferior to the Euros and meant nothing. People need to make their minds up.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Ah the old ‘it’s a conspiracy’ argument. Always solid. Yes, that explains why Messi has 3 POTTs and Ronaldo has none. Nothing to do with performances at all. Nada. Zilch.

By the way, I think you’re confusing me with someone else on that ‘second most goal involvements in 2014’ bit. I don’t recall ever saying that.
I'm sorry, you're right, it wasn't you that mentioned that, it was the_cliff.

Pocho

I don't know, but I read that someone here claims that James and Robben were better than Messi in 2014 WC. I think I can die now cause I've seen it all. :lol: :lol:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
World cup should be a common measure since both teams qualified for the same competition. In that sense messi is on top over Christiano in international career.

Pocho

Besides, who cares? Messi is top three with Pelé and Diego and Cristiano is a great great player too, like top 8.

IWat

For the record I think Messi is the more complete player. But you've got to be wanking Messi off to make the argument at international level he's been at Ronaldo's level.

Ronaldo has scored more WC goals at a better per minute rate.
Ronaldo has a better goals per game record in International football generally.
Ronaldo is the all time top scorer in his continental competition and has a far better goals per game record than Messi does in the Copa.
Ronaldo is the joint record goal scorer in International history.

This in what is clearly a worse team and a more competitive continent at the moment.

When kids read about them 50 years from now, there will be one winner when it comes to international football.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I do think it’s funny that when Messi hadn’t won an international trophy it was ‘he can’t win an international trophy with Argentina’ and when he won the Copa all of a sudden that was a Mickey Mouse trophy that was far inferior to the Euros and meant nothing. People need to make their minds up.
If I had told you in 2009, after Messi's Balon D'Or win and his sextuple with Barcelona, that he wouldn't win anything with Argentina until he was 34 years old, you would have called me a crackhead.

tomaldinho1

For the record I think Messi is the more complete player. But you've got to be wanking Messi off to make the argument at international level he's been at Ronaldo's level.

Ronaldo is the all time top scorer in his continental competition and has a far better goals per game record than Messi does in the Copa.

This in what is clearly a worse team and a more competitive continent at the moment.

When kids read about them 50 years from now, there will be one winner when it comes to international football.
This is fair

Revan

Assumptionman
Because it is exactly that. A micky mouse trophy. Imagine Portugal, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, and x6 North Macedonia in a competition. That is basically Copa America nowadays.

Revan

Assumptionman
World cup should be a common measure since both teams qualified for the same competition. In that sense messi is on top over Christiano in international career.
While I do not rate particularly high Messi's World Cup 2014 (I think at best he was the third best player, but probably not even that), and think he was totally dogshit outside of group stage in 2010, and even worse in 2018, he has been better than Ronaldo in that aspect. Ronaldo was quite good in 2006, meh in 2010, worse in 2014, and okay in 2018. Still Messi's 2014 is easily superior to any of Ronaldo's world cup performances.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Its quite easy to make the argument if you actually watch them play football. But by the idiotic references you make to ‘wanking’, I guess this point would go over your head.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
If I had told you in 2009, after Messi's Balon D'Or win and his sextuple with Barcelona, that he wouldn't win anything with Argentina until he was 34 years old, you would have called me a crackhead.
I think most people call you a crackhead anyway :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Because it is exactly that. A micky mouse trophy. Imagine Portugal, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, and x6 North Macedonia in a competition. That is basically Copa America nowadays.
Well done for missing the point totally.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
a Mickey Mouse trophy that Pele and maradonna could not win

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
a Mickey Mouse trophy that Pele and maradonna could not win
Pele was the player of the tournament in the one he took part in though. If only Cristiano Ronaldo knew how to turn up in a major international tournament to that degree :D

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Pele was the player of the tournament in the one he took part in though. If only Cristiano Ronaldo knew how to turn up in a major international tournament to that degree :D
:lol:

Imagine being the leading scorer (granted most were penalties) and still failing to make the euro starting XI

MalcolmTucker

Messi has won the best player of the tournament in 3 International tournaments.

Ronaldo has won 0.

Pretty obvious who has been better.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
:lol:

Imagine being the leading scorer (granted most were penalties) and still failing to make the euro starting XI
The shame :D

Kind of similar to when he was by far the most high profile player on a Euros winning team and didn’t win the best player award. His acolytes on here would have you believe that stuff like this is no big deal though…….

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Don’t forget to mention he played a Majority of his career with Raul meireles and Postiga and Silvestre Varela and Miguel Veloso in his starting team.

I mean it’s almost like he played with a bunch of bums from 2008-2015

That’s 4 international tournaments played with literal cones bar Nani and Moutinho.

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi has won the best player of the tournament in 3 International tournaments.

Ronaldo has won 0.

Pretty obvious who has been better.
Copa América is about as competitive as the nations league. If you are Brasil or Argentina you are obligated to make the final. It’s the league cup of international trophies.

9x out of 10 one of Those 2 teams are in the final.

World Cup then euros then copa. In that order.

SportingCP96

Supports
Besides, who cares? Messi is top three with Pelé and Diego and Cristiano is a great great player too, like top 8.
Considering Messi has been in direct competition with Ronaldo his whole career that makes no sense how Messi is 3 and Ronaldo is 8.

That logic is just nonsensical.

Ronaldo is a 1/1 player in football.

We have seen Messi, his name was Maradona.

thundercats

Ronaldo obviously. He also scored way more goals in competitive games than messi.
the narrative is that messi doesn’t have easy games in South America but that is wrong. Messi also played the likes of Panama or venenzuela. The gal between his performances for Barca and Argentina is so big it is not even funny. Ronaldo is Ronaldo regardless for which team he plays.

For anyone who still cares Messi is obviously the better player, just wanted to add that before I get labelled a nutcase

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
quite telling that for vast majority of CR fans, his most iconic moment was... not being on the pitch. beautiful.
And the most iconic moment for Messi was his invisible performance plus missing sitter in Copa final.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Copa América is about as competitive as the nations league. If you are Brasil or Argentina you are obligated to make the final. It’s the league cup of international trophies.

9x out of 10 one of Those 2 teams are in the final.

World Cup then euros then copa. In that order.
And yet Brazil made the final just twice in the last ten years.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Considering Messi has been in direct competition with Ronaldo his whole career that makes no sense how Messi is 3 and Ronaldo is 8.

That logic is just nonsensical.

Ronaldo is a 1/1 player in football.

We have seen Messi, his name was Maradona.
we have also seen Ronaldo, and he was Gerd Muller

Mshafeek

Will help to get an idea: https://www.messivsronaldo.app/international-stats/

One highlight : In major international tournaments :
Ronaldo - 12 motm, 1 Golden boot, 1 Silver boot
3 goals and 2 assists in Knockouts
42 appearances( 17 in KO)
Messi - 20 motm, 3 Best player , 1 Golden boot
5 goals and 16 assists in Knockouts.
53 appearances(24 in KO)

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
to be fair he didn't actually contribute much in the final and was basically out after 17 minutes...he might deserve a cheerleader medal but surely that's it??? ;););)

It's a toss of a coin as Messi has got his team to 4 finals, which he might have won all 4 if he had better support or team.

But then i'm nearly always going to favour Messi over Ronaldo in most of these debates
Messi didn’t actually contribute much in Copa final either, he has been largely invisible for over 80 mins of game, and his only notable “appearance” was missing an one on one sitter.

Ronaldo has scored far more goals than Messi on international stage, in competitive games and in tournaments overall. He is all time top goalscorer and he broke most records too. So it’s still a Ronaldo.

IWat

Its quite easy to make the argument if you actually watch them play football. But by the idiotic references you make to ‘wanking’, I guess this point would go over your head.
Yeah that's great and all but their mins per goal contribution (goal/assist) in international football is exactly the same. If you remove friendlies and focus on competitive international matches it actually favours Ronaldo hugely. 98.2 mins per goal/assist for Ronaldo and 119.3 for Messi.

Please though, continue...