Who has had the better international career? Messi or Ronaldo?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What I mean is, there are some similarities in the logic behind your original points which could also be used against Messi too, such as:

1. Ronaldo missing 75% of Euro final -> Messi “disappearing” in large part of Copa final. Given that Messi is tournament best player, Ronaldo is not quite the best in tournament but he is still the most impactful player in the winning team.

2. Goals only comes from group stage for Ronaldo in Euro 20 -> Well first of all Messi only scored against Bolivia and Ecuador in knockout stage in Copa 20, so it’s actually far lower standard knockout stage game than group games Ronaldo had. Secondly the best tournament Messi ever had in WC, he didn’t score a single goal in knockout stage either. In fact he never ever score a goal in knockout stage in WC.

3. Ronaldo scored most goals in Euro history but he had played more Euro games/tournaments than Platini -> Messi only managed to rank 7th most goals in Copa history despite playing over 6 tournaments, where he has played more Copa games than anyone.

I mean, if you continue to use those standards to judge against Ronaldo, it would just all go back against Messi too. I’d rather avoid those if I were you, and would go back to the dribbling/playmaking arguments instead.
I get what you are saying and I’ve stated that neither can be said to have done as well as they have at club level. But what you’ve highlighted just shows why Messi has been better. When he doesn’t score, he contributes more to the overall game. That’s why his performances are better. I dissected Ronaldo’s goal record not to show that Messi’s is much better (it clearly isn’t) but rather because Ronaldo advocates generally don’t have any other arguments beside his goals. And yet he has 3 out of 109 in the KO rounds of major tournaments.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
I think people are underestimating the strength of The Copa and South American teams in general. Very few, if any, of the matches are easy, and I think all of the European sides would struggle to stand out if thrown into that tournament.

We’ve seen time and time again at international tournaments, that it is not easy to beat the likes of Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile let alone the big two. When you add the huge contrasts in climatic conditions posed by places like La Paz or Quito, you just add to that. It’s a huge leveller.

MalcolmTucker

You seem to be confused. This is not the Messi vs. Ronaldo thread. This is the "who has had the better international career" thread. It is possible for a player to have a better international career than another player yet be the lesser player. Robert Lewandowski is a much better player than Eder, but the latter scored a winning goal in the Euros and the former hasn't had a sniff at an international title. I don't have any issue saying that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo overall because it really has nothing to do with the question of who's had the better international career. There are literally hundreds of players with better international careers than Messi and Ronaldo.
If you want to distil a whole career into just one moment or team achievements, then yeah Eder had a better career than Lewandowski. With that same logic though, you could say Macheda had a better premiership career than Gerrard or Pedro had a better La Liga career than Cristiano. A career is more nuanced to me and individually, Messi has performed better internationally than Ronaldo, just in the same way you would say that Cristiano has performed better than Pedro in La Liga.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If you want to distil a whole career into just one moment or team achievements, then yeah Eder had a better career than Lewandowski. With that same logic though, you could say Macheda had a better premiership career than Gerrard or Pedro had a better La Liga career than Cristiano.
But we are not talking about "whole" careers. We are talking about international football, which is one part of a player's career. Not only that, it's a part of a player's career that is generally understood to be largely outside the player's control, since you don't choose which country you were born in. Robert Lewandowski's had an unremarkable international career, and nobody expects it to be different, he plays in Poland.

What you are trying to do is reason backwards from "Messi is better than Ronaldo." This is not the thread for that, there is a Messi vs. Ronaldo thread. Like I said earlier, with a little bit of luck on either side, Messi would have the clearly better international career than Ronaldo. Just two goals separate them from one being WC winner and the other having won nothing. But that's not what happened. Is that fair given their talent or whatever? Sure, but football isn't fair!

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think people are underestimating the strength of The Copa and South American teams in general. Very few, if any, of the matches are easy, and I think all of the European sides would struggle to stand out if thrown into that tournament. We’ve seen time and time again at international tournaments, that it is not easy to beat the likes of Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile let alone the big two. When you add the huge contrasts in climatic conditions posed by places like La Paz or Quito, you just add to that. It’s a huge leveller.
That may be true for individual games, but in the long run the disparities in quality impose themselves. Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil have been winners or runners-up 29, 21, and 21 times, which amounts to 75.5% of all finals appearances by anyone. If you look at who else has won it, half the time it's been the host country. One of those times, Colombia 2001, Argentina didn't even participate and Brazil sent a C-level team. Brazil have never failed to qualify to the World Cup and Argentina have failed to qualify just once.

Messi has played in the Copa America six times. If you go at it long enough and you play for Argentina or Brazil, you're probably going to win the title eventually.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think people are underestimating the strength of The Copa and South American teams in general. Very few, if any, of the matches are easy, and I think all of the European sides would struggle to stand out if thrown into that tournament.

We’ve seen time and time again at international tournaments, that it is not easy to beat the likes of Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile let alone the big two. When you add the huge contrasts in climatic conditions posed by places like La Paz or Quito, you just add to that. It’s a huge leveller.
Of course people are underestimating those things because they don’t watch SA teams or care about the comps at all because it’s all about England and then by extension Europe. Everything else is rubbish obviously.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
And yet they’ve won it 3 times in 60 years. With players like Maradona, Kempes and Messi. Don’t kid yourself bud, I know way more about the history of that competition and SA football generally than you do.

And I don’t need to trawl through Wikipedia and count the number of times teams appear in finals (when there’s less teams anyway) just to make a non-contextual point. You see, I actually watch football with my eyes. That’s why I know it’s a tough competition with rabid fan bases and winning it is prestigious. You clearly don’t and rely on the internet. It’s pretty clear that you’re clueless about the tournament as a whole. You’ve listed ‘4 out of 5 teams getting to the next round’ as if that’s the rule in every Copa.

Then you’ve talked about rankings, which are BS and change all the time. Right now Portugal are ranked higher than Italy. Are they a better team than Italy? Are Mexico better than Germany? You’re truly clueless
Oh no, they've only won it 3 times in 60 years! A totally banal point but I'll parrot it to make it look like that they're underdogs and not the top or 2nd best team in the competition year in year out!

They've just won it for the 3rd time since the 90s, as well as losing a few other finals. Your point just doesn't stack up and is not backed up by any logic or reason.

Also, love the 'I watch football with my eyes' comment - really amazing insight here. You don't come across as an unhinged rattled fanboi at all.

Oh yea and let's dismiss the FIFA rankings when you were parroting them not long ago. Real smart stuff.

And yes, the 4 out of 5 is a very recent rule, but (I'll explain this for someone that is struggling), it obviously makes it a lot easier to qualify rounds if you only have a 20% chance of not making it through. (Yes, 1/5 is also 20% Nasir).

I'll circle back to my original point - the Copa as a competition is weaker than the Euros. Secondly, a team like Argentina who are (routinely the best or 2nd best team in the competition) winning the Copa is very different to a team like Portugal winning the Euros. It's like Real / Barca in La Liga - either one of them will win in 9 times out of 10.

Most of the rest of your post is just dressed up fluff, so I'll skip to the points that need addressing.

We are losing the point of the discussion. The point is the notion that Ronaldo achieved more in winning the Euros with Portugal than Messi did in winning the Copa with Argentina. That is false, because. a) Portugal didn’t play anyone good until the final and Ronaldo missed most of that game and
b) Messi was much better individually in his tournament than Ronaldo was in his.
So I haven't made any point regarding performances in tournaments. You should read my posts again, without your Messi lens again because you're reading what you think I wrote, not actually what I wrote. I'd rank Portugal winning the Euros higher than Argentina winning the Copa as the Euros is a tougher competition, and Portugal are a weaker national side and have been for the majority of Ronaldo's career. I'd say maybe now or last couple of years you could argue the other way.

@Revan has done an excellent analysis of the Euro team comment which I've pasted for you here.

Those European teams were a bit shit in that competition. Europe still managed to have 3 out of 4 semi-finalists, and a European team won the competition. 4 years prior, Europe managed to send 3 semi-finalists, and both finalists. 4 years later, all four semi-finalists were from Europe. Oh, the same happened in 2006.

The last time some American team won any of the three medals, it was in 2002. I posted yesterday all the matches between European and American teams, in KO it was not even close. It was a total domination of European teams, essentially they destroyed American teams.

Does Europe have shit teams? Of course they do, I come from one country who has a shit team. Are there shit European teams in Euros and World Cups? Of course there are. But the best European teams (in the period of time where Messi and Ronaldo play) have happened to be significantly better than American ones, to the point that American teams (with the exception of Argentina in 2014) have been a total non-entity. Their campaign always ended the first time they faced a European team in KO. I guess I have to repeat it, no South American team, except Argentina in 2014 (where they defeated Switzerland 1-0 with a goal in 118th minute, Belgium 1-0 and Netherlands in penalties) has won a KO tie vs an European team, in the time where Messi and Ronaldo play in WCs.

If that does not prove that European teams are miles better, I do not know what proves it. Maybe you will get convinced when you see again four semi-finalists from Europe and Brazil/Argentina getting out of the competition when they face a European team next year.

The general point being here that Euro teams on average are tougher than the S America equivalents. Furthermore, the Euro teams in the Euros will be a step above as well. We have actual evidence of this as well so you should stick to the facts and not the narrative.
So all your counting of teams on Wikipedia is irrelevant because Portugal did not have to play good teams when they won. Contrast that with Greece, who are surely the worst team to ever win either of the competitions and the road they had to go through to win in 2004.

How about you try and address that?
Greece to be fair to them won with a game plan and stuck to it. They won't be remembered fondly in history for their win, but fair fecks to them, the got the job done and I don't begrudge them that. Why would you?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Errrr Messi has 13 goals in Copa America and not top scorer in its history?

That centennial Copa America was a great stat padder for Messi in a sense too, given the fact it was an extraordinary tournament outside of the four year window, and he scored 5 goals.
Centennial was Conmebol being money-grabbing twats and they've carried on since. Should go back to every four years, bang in between World Cups.

If you take contemporaries who have also got the benefit of same frequency and format, both Paolo Guerrero and Eduardo fecking Vargas have scored more.

Cristiano by a long country mile. I rate Messi as the better player, but all things considered Cristiano has the edge here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I guess I have to repeat it, no South American team, except Argentina in 2014 (where they defeated Switzerland 1-0 with a goal in 118th minute, Belgium 1-0 and Netherlands in penalties) has won a KO tie vs an European team, in the time where Messi and Ronaldo play in WCs.
Agree with the overall point but you are overlooking Uruguay knocking out Cristiano's Portugal (of all teams) at the last World Cup.

MalcolmTucker

But we are not talking about "whole" careers. We are talking about international football, which is one part of a player's career. Not only that, it's a part of a player's career that is generally understood to be largely outside the player's control, since you don't choose which country you were born in. Robert Lewandowski's had an unremarkable international career, and nobody expects it to be different, he plays in Poland.

What you are trying to do is reason backwards from "Messi is better than Ronaldo." This is not the thread for that, there is a Messi vs. Ronaldo thread. Like I said earlier, with a little bit of luck on either side, Messi would have the clearly better international career than Ronaldo. Just two goals separate them from one being WC winner and the other having won nothing. But that's not what happened. Is that fair given their talent or whatever? Sure, but football isn't fair!
By whole career I meant whole international career. It appears your definition of international career is different to mine - your definition is basically who won more Portugal or Argentina (or Portugal/Poland). Do you apply this same criteria for Cruyff or Zico's international careers? Did Karol Dobias have a better international career than Cruyff because he scored the winning goal when the Czech Republic won the Euros?

Also I wouldn't call Lewandowski's international career unremarkable, he is the record goalscorer for his country.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Agree with the overall point but you are overlooking Uruguay knocking out Cristiano's Portugal (of all teams) at the last World Cup.
Thanks - that wasn’t my post btw, I was copy pasting another poster who did an excellent summation. He may have overlooked that.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Oh no, they've only won it 3 times in 60 years! A totally banal point but I'll parrot it to make it look like that they're underdogs and not the top or 2nd best team in the competition year in year out!
It’s only a ‘banal’ point to you because it destroys your ridiculous blinkered argument that the competition is easy to win. You can’t handle that so you throw your toys out the pram. There’s no need to cry about it.

They've just won it for the 3rd time since the 90s, as well as losing a few other finals. Your point just doesn't stack up and is not backed up by any logic or reason.
It’s backed up by perfect logic and reason. They don’t win it often in living memory, ergo it is not easy for them to win it. Very straightforward logic.

Also, love the 'I watch football with my eyes' comment - really amazing insight here. You don't come across as an unhinged rattled fanboi at all.
Yes I don’t, because I’m not

Oh yea and let's dismiss the FIFA rankings when you were parroting them not long ago. Real smart stuff.
Ok, if you can point to where I was ‘parroting the FIFA rankings not long ago’, you win the debate. If not, you lose. I won’t hold my breath.

And yes, the 4 out of 5 is a very recent rule, but (I'll explain this for someone that is struggling), it obviously makes it a lot easier to qualify rounds if you only have a 20% chance of not making it through. (Yes, 1/5 is also 20% Nasir).
It’s a rule that was instituted for this year. So it’s dumb to accord it any kind of historical weight in trying to prove that the competition is weak.

I'll circle back to my original point - the Copa as a competition is weaker than the Euros. Secondly, a team like Argentina who are (routinely the best or 2nd best team in the competition) winning the Copa is very different to a team like Portugal winning the Euros. It's like Real / Barca in La Liga - either one of them will win in 9 times out of 10.
So La Liga is weak now?

Most of the rest of your post is just dressed up fluff, so I'll skip to the points that need addressing.
The sound of a man drowning

So I haven't made any point regarding performances in tournaments. You should read my posts again, without your Messi lens again because you're reading what you think I wrote, not actually what I wrote. I'd rank Portugal winning the Euros higher than Argentina winning the Copa as the Euros is a tougher competition, and Portugal are a weaker national side and have been for the majority of Ronaldo's career. I'd say maybe now or last couple of years you could argue the other way.
Teams achieve trophies. How would you rank Ronaldo’s performances in those Euros v Messi’s performances in the Copa (any of the ones where he was the best player)? That’s right, you didn’t actually watch any of the Copa games. My apologies.

@Revan has done an excellent analysis of the Euro team comment which I've pasted for you here.

Those European teams were a bit shit in that competition. Europe still managed to have 3 out of 4 semi-finalists, and a European team won the competition. 4 years prior, Europe managed to send 3 semi-finalists, and both finalists. 4 years later, all four semi-finalists were from Europe. Oh, the same happened in 2006.

The last time some American team won any of the three medals, it was in 2002. I posted yesterday all the matches between European and American teams, in KO it was not even close. It was a total domination of European teams, essentially they destroyed American teams.

Does Europe have shit teams? Of course they do, I come from one country who has a shit team. Are there shit European teams in Euros and World Cups? Of course there are. But the best European teams (in the period of time where Messi and Ronaldo play) have happened to be significantly better than American ones, to the point that American teams (with the exception of Argentina in 2014) have been a total non-entity. Their campaign always ended the first time they faced a European team in KO. I guess I have to repeat it, no South American team, except Argentina in 2014 (where they defeated Switzerland 1-0 with a goal in 118th minute, Belgium 1-0 and Netherlands in penalties) has won a KO tie vs an European team, in the time where Messi and Ronaldo play in WCs.

If that does not prove that European teams are miles better, I do not know what proves it. Maybe you will get convinced when you see again four semi-finalists from Europe and Brazil/Argentina getting out of the competition when they face a European team next year.

Portugal in 2016 played against Hungary, Iceland, Austria (finished third in that group) and then Croatia, Poland, Wales and France. Is this harder overall than playing Uruguay, Colombia, Bolivia, Chile and Brazil? Just be honest with yourself and try not to desperately look up FIFA rankings

The general point being here that Euro teams on average are tougher than the S America equivalents. Furthermore, the Euro teams in the Euros will be a step above as well. We have actual evidence of this as well so you should stick to the facts and not the narrative.
We don’t, we have your opinion. Answer the question above re Portugal’s route in 2016 please.

Greece to be fair to them won with a game plan and stuck to it. They won't be remembered fondly in history for their win, but fair fecks to them, the got the job done and I don't begrudge them that. Why would you?
Hilarious I don’t begrudge them anything. They’re just by far the weakest team to ever win either of the continental tournaments. So it’s not the Fort Knox that you think it is. The World Cup on the other hand is a different story.

Revan

Assumptionman
My fault. I put it yesterday (when I listed all the matches), but forgot to put it today. Other than Argentina in 2014 (3 wins and 1 defeat) and Uruguay last time (1 win and 1 defeat), all other KO matches in the last 4 WCs have been won by European teams.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Well as Messi cannot become European, I guess we’ll just have to compare them in the World Cup…..oh wait! You mean Messi’s been better in that as well? What a surprise.
Once again.

Messi has played in a far superior team with less success.

Would he ever carry Portugal the way Ronaldo has? Probably not because we already know he just does not have the mental make up for that.

4 finals with Argentina and he got 1 win.

Ronaldo in 3 finals 2 wins.

Ronaldo would have at least won 2 of those 4 if not 3 had he been in that Argentina team.

I would have loved to see Messi play alongside Hugo Almeida and Hélder Postiga and Miguel Veloso and Danny and Raul Meireles and fecking Tiago.

Yes please let’s do the squad comparison game so we can laugh about it together.

It’s not a debate, Ronaldo is by far the better international player.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Once again.

Would he ever carry Portugal the way Ronaldo has? Probably not because we already know he just does not have the mental make up for that.

Ronaldo would have at least won 2 of those 4 if not 3 had he been in that Argentina team.

I would have loved to see Messi play alongside Hugo Almeida and Hélder Postiga and Miguel Veloso and Danny and Raul Meireles and fecking Tiago.

Yes please let’s do the squad comparison game so we can laugh about it together.

Ronaldo didn’t carry Portugal, Pepe was their best player in 2016. Even Ronaldo admits that. Ronaldo had 3 good games in the entire euro 2016.

And Portugal without Ronaldo get 11 games without a single loss.

argentina without Messi couldn’t even get a spot in the WC until he returned. Argentina without Messi are significantly worse than Portugal without Ronaldo:

https://the18.com/soccer-news/argentina-without-lionel-messi-record-and-statistics

https://www.tugascout.com/news/2020...ing-answer-for-the-only-question-that-matters

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-h...kH13J_wGuDjPzjXzuIRK5JkYwqR5whwcqqIClWQB-wcVu

Last edited:

Bole Top

For me, it's Messi but both are not up to the level of other greats, no matter what way fans of the players like to spin it.
I don't think any of us here is comparing them to certain past greats in that regard. Spain, France and Germany had their golden generations since Ronaldo & Messi emerged and peaked and both of them lost every key match against them. in general, I can't think of single case of either of them having a stormer and beating a heavily favored side. weak or strong competition, it's all the same to them as they lose every time to the same teams, with the next WC being the last chance for both to change that. I doubt anyone seriously compares them to Pele or Maradona. they've had good international careers and that's it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Ronaldo was already a legend for us in 2006 for his first two tournaments alone... that’s 15 years ago.

Then he scored 100 goals more, lifted the only two trophies we’ve ever won and elevated Portugal’s status in the sport to one of the main European countries instead of a below average one that had one good tournament every 25 years. All while spending his peak years with a poor generation and having managers that have failed at pretty much every other job they had.

His international career will be more appreciated in time when eventually our status as a footballing country reverts to normality as it’s impossible to keep consistently competing like we’ve been doing for forever as shown by the results of similarly sized European countries.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Ronaldo didn’t carry Portugal, Pepe was their best player in 2016. Even Ronaldo admits that. Ronaldo had 3 good games in the entire euro 2016.
Ronaldo was our best player. Pepe looked better because we played to his strengths, we lumped balls up to Ronaldo all tournament as an attacking strategy while he was surrounded by every opposing defender without a striker next to him. No player will look anywhere near his best in those circumstances.

Our most secure game defensively in the tournament was the semifinals without Pepe by the way with this funny starting eleven.

Patricio
Cedric-Alves-Fonte-Guerreiro
J.Mário-Danilo-Adrien-Renato
Ronaldo-Nani

Bruno Alves had no problem coming in and replacing Pepe in that setup.

Pepe made plenty of defensive mistakes throughout the tournament, see the awful miscommunication with Vieirinha for the goal against Iceland, him losing Lewa for the Poland goal, the goal he almost gifted to Griezmann in the first half of the final or the way he got turned by Gignac in the last minute of regular time... either of those last two go in and he’d be scapegoated forever. The one truly great game he played was against Croatia because even in the final despite winning MOTM he got bailed out by luck (and Patricio) a bunch of times. I know it because I’ve watched that game too many times and every time I’m in disbelief how we held on to the 0-0 until extra time.

Pepe was heroic at times but it was far from a flawless set of games for him there like many say. Patricio, Nani and Quaresma were the heroes just as often for example.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Once again.

In your mind yes, because you’re horribly biased.

‘Messi doesn’t have the mental make-up’

Well he somehow has the mental make up to have more trophies than Ronaldo for club, country and individually so who knows how much he would have won if he was actually mentally tough? :lol:

Saying stuff like that just exposes you for the worshipper that you are. With respect…..

dal

Ronaldo undoubtably and with three champions leagues in a row he wins on the club side too.

However Messi is my all time favourite player.

If I need a player in a team though which had 10 average players in it I would rather sign Ronaldo.

I hope this helps.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ronaldo was our best player. Pepe looked better because we played to his strengths, we lumped balls up to Ronaldo all tournament as an attacking strategy while he was surrounded by every opposing defender without a striker next to him. No player will look anywhere near his best in those circumstances.

Our most secure game defensively in the tournament was the semifinals without Pepe by the way with this funny starting eleven.

Patricio
Ronaldo-Nani

Pepe made plenty of defensive mistakes throughout the tournament, see the awful miscommunication with Vieirinha for the goal against Iceland, him losing Lewa for the Poland goal, the goal he almost gifted to Griezmann in the first half of the final or the way he got turned by Gignac in the last minute of regular time... either of those last two go in and he’d be scapegoated forever. The one truly great game he played was against Croatia because even in the final despite winning MOTM he got bailed out by luck (and Patricio) a bunch of times. I know it because I’ve watched that game too many times and every time I’m in disbelief how we held on to the 0-0 until extra time.

Pepe was heroic at times but it was far from a flawless set of games for him there like many say. Patricio, Nani and Quaresma were the heroes just as often for example.
Nani played in 2016?

If so, I'm really pleased he got a Euro title under his belt

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Nani played in 2016?

If so, I'm really pleased he got a Euro title under his belt
Nani played and scored 3 of our 9 goals in Euro 2016. He was his usual inconsistent self but weirdly was very important defensively.

He’s got legendary status here because of it. The relationship between him, Quaresma and Ronaldo being so good was important as they all fought a lot even with pretty much no attacking plan

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
In your mind yes, because you’re horribly biased.

‘Messi doesn’t have the mental make-up’

Well he somehow has the mental make up to have more trophies than Ronaldo for club, country and individually so who knows how much he would have won if he was actually mentally tough? :lol:

Saying stuff like that just exposes you for the worshipper that you are. With respect…..
I mean he stayed in one league…the best team of all time from 08-14.

That same team was the core of the Spain national team. The same team that won 3 major trophies back to back to back.

Don’t forget he quit on his country after being the one who missed the penalty. He legit retired.

Back to back season he lost a 3-0 leads in the CL and didn’t show up when his team needed him most.

So yes he is not a mentally strong player he never had those intangibles and has shown it time and time again.

Like I said, put him in the Portugal teams Ronaldo played in and the difference would be substantial.

Pocho

That same team was the core of the Spain national team. The same team that won 3 major trophies back to back to back.

Don’t forget he quit on his country after being the one who missed the penalty. He legit retired.

Back to back season he lost a 3-0 leads in the CL and didn’t show up when his team needed him most.

So yes he is not a mentally strong player he never had those intangibles and has shown it time and time again.

Like I said, put him in the Portugal teams Ronaldo played in and the difference would be substantial.
Holy shit :lol:

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
It’s only a ‘banal’ point to you because it destroys your ridiculous blinkered argument that the competition is easy to win. You can’t handle that so you throw your toys out the pram. There’s no need to cry about it.

It’s backed up by perfect logic and reason. They don’t win it often in living memory, ergo it is not easy for them to win it. Very straightforward logic.

Yes I don’t, because I’m not
You're just not getting it. If a team is routinely getting to the final of the competition over a prolonged period of time...like Argentina have in the Copa, what does that tell you about their relative strength and / or the strength of the opposition? Answer me that.

Ok, if you can point to where I was ‘parroting the FIFA rankings not long ago’, you win the debate. If not, you lose. I won’t hold my breath.
So FIFA rankings aren't important when it comes to Argentina, but are important when it comes to Portugal and the opposition they faced in the Euros? Makes total (non)sense and is a double standard (par for the course with your posts to be honest).

It’s a rule that was instituted for this year. So it’s dumb to accord it any kind of historical weight in trying to prove that the competition is weak.
Again, you're missing the point. If 80% of the teams in the group stage qualify, then it's obviously an easy competition to progress to the next round. The fact that they did it now or 100 years ago really isn't the point I'm making.

So La Liga is weak now?
No, this is called an analogy. It's used to compare one thing to another for the purpose of explanation and clarification.

In this analogy, we're saying that Brazil and Argentina in the Copa are the equivalent of Real & Barca in La Liga. In that, they're the strong favourites, and expected to win it. Does that make sense?

Teams achieve trophies. How would you rank Ronaldo’s performances in those Euros v Messi’s performances in the Copa (any of the ones where he was the best player)? That’s right, you didn’t actually watch any of the Copa games. My apologies.
I watched the Copas, and remembered quite distinctly Messi's lacklustre performance in the final, missing a crucial spot kick and then promptly retiring (and then subsequently coming out of retirement) because things weren't going his way.

Portugal in 2016 played against Hungary, Iceland, Austria (finished third in that group) and then Croatia, Poland, Wales and France. Is this harder overall than playing Uruguay, Colombia, Bolivia, Chile and Brazil? Just be honest with yourself and try not to desperately look up FIFA rankings
You can only beat what's in front of you. Luck plays a massive role in these competitions. I also find it amusing you have such a low opinion on FIFA rankings. I wonder is it because it doesn't fit your bullshit narrative? I think so.

Let's take a close look at Argentina's run though...
Chile - 19th
Uruguay - 9th
Paraguay - 35th
Bolivia - 81st
Ecuador - 53rd
Colombia - 15th
Brazil - 3rd

Average position is 31 (I rounded up from 30.71).

Let's take a close look at Portugal's run (using Aug 2016 figures - it's even more in my favour if I use May 2016)...

Hungary - 19th
Iceland - 23rd
Austria - 22nd
Croatia - 15th
Poland - 16th
Wales - 11th
France - 7th

Average position is 16 (I rounded down from 16.41).

So, according to FIFA rankings which I think has more science behind it than your 'I use my eyes to watch football bro', Portugal's run on average was more difficult. The Copa teams may have a few standout players, but it's clear that the level of competition is a step above in the Euros. Only an idiot would argue otherwise (this is where you come in though).

We don’t, we have your opinion. Answer the question above re Portugal’s route in 2016 please.
See above.

Hilarious I don’t begrudge them anything. They’re just by far the weakest team to ever win either of the continental tournaments. So it’s not the Fort Knox that you think it is. The World Cup on the other hand is a different story.
Cool.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

‘Supports Sporting Club de Portugal’

It must be hard for you bro. To have one of yours that’s come along who is by common consensus only the SECOND best of a generation. Never mind. Maybe the next great player you have will be better :lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Patricio
Ronaldo-Nani

welcome back, where the heck have you been? :)

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Arguing with another member
You're just not getting it. If a team is routinely getting to the final of the competition over a prolonged period of time...like Argentina have in the Copa, what does that tell you about their relative strength and / or the strength of the opposition? Answer me that.

So FIFA rankings aren't important when it comes to Argentina, but are important when it comes to Portugal and the opposition they faced in the Euros? Makes total (non)sense and is a double standard (par for the course with your posts to be honest).

Again, you're missing the point. If 80% of the teams in the group stage qualify, then it's obviously an easy competition to progress to the next round. The fact that they did it now or 100 years ago really isn't the point I'm making.

No, this is called an analogy. It's used to compare one thing to another for the purpose of explanation and clarification.

In this analogy, we're saying that Brazil and Argentina in the Copa are the equivalent of Real & Barca in La Liga. In that, they're the strong favourites, and expected to win it. Does that make sense?

I watched the Copas, and remembered quite distinctly Messi's lacklustre performance in the final, missing a crucial spot kick and then promptly retiring (and then subsequently coming out of retirement) because things weren't going his way.

You can only beat what's in front of you. Luck plays a massive role in these competitions. I also find it amusing you have such a low opinion on FIFA rankings. I wonder is it because it doesn't fit your bullshit narrative? I think so.

Let's take a close look at Argentina's run though...
Chile - 19th
Uruguay - 9th
Paraguay - 35th
Bolivia - 81st
Ecuador - 53rd
Colombia - 15th
Brazil - 3rd

Average position is 31 (I rounded up from 30.71).

Let's take a close look at Portugal's run (using Aug 2016 figures - it's even more in my favour if I use May 2016)...

Hungary - 19th
Iceland - 23rd
Austria - 22nd
Croatia - 15th
Poland - 16th
Wales - 11th
France - 7th

Average position is 16 (I rounded down from 16.41).

So, according to FIFA rankings which I think has more science behind it than your 'I use my eyes to watch football bro', Portugal's run on average was more difficult. The Copa teams may have a few standout players, but it's clear that the level of competition is a step above in the Euros. Only an idiot would argue otherwise (this is where you come in though).

See above.

Cool.
So no pointing out where I was ‘banging on about FIFA rankings’ then? Didn’t think so. You lose. I wish I could say it’s been a challenge but I can’t because you’re pretty thick. With all due respect :D

Oh and I asked you to use your brain and not spend ages looking up FIFA rankings but of course you are too stupid not to try and use a system that is based on the listed teams not actually playing eachother and posits that Mexico are a better team than Germany. It’s ‘science’…….

A smarter thing to do would be to look at the players that play for the respective teams and figure out which sides are better that way. But that’s too complicated for our friend here….

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
‘Supports Sporting Club de Portugal’

It must be hard for you bro. To have one of yours that’s come along who is by common consensus only the SECOND best of a generation. Never mind. Maybe the next great player you have will be better :lol:
So no pointing out where I was ‘banging on about FIFA rankings’ then? Didn’t think so. You lose. I wish I could say it’s been a challenge but I can’t because you’re pretty thick. With all due respect :D

Oh and I asked you to use your brain and not spend ages looking up FIFA rankings but of course you are too stupid not to try and use a system that is based on the listed teams not actually playing eachother and posits that Mexico are a better team than Germany. It’s ‘science’…….

A smarter thing to do would be to look at the players that play for the respective teams and figure out which sides are better that way. But that’s too complicated for our friend here….
And right here ladies and gentlemen is a frustrated Messi fan, who is lost at words and resorting to personal insults. I'm not sure why you're so angry, surely they'll make copa america a twice a season competition soon? Messi can win it multiple times then!

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

And there we have it. The tell-tale sign of when you can't actually fathom a logical response to an argument so you have to resort to insults.

Stay classy.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
And there we have it. The tell-tale sign of when you can't actually fathom a logical response to an argument so you have to resort to insults.

Stay classy.
The Copa teams may have a few standout players, but it's clear that the level of competition is a step above in the Euros. Only an idiot would argue otherwise (this is where you come in though).”

Pot, kettle, black.

I treat respect with respect and foolishness with the disdain it deserves.

You lose again. Like shooting fish in a barrel this.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
And right here ladies and gentlemen is a frustrated Messi fan, who is lost at words and resorting to personal insults. I'm not sure why you're so angry, surely they'll make copa america a twice a season competition soon? Messi can win it multiple times then!
:lol:

I think the Messi acolytes (like our friend above) will try and convince us that plucky Argentina beating overwhelming favourites Bolivia in the final is better than anything any other team has done.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
:lol:

I think the Messi acolytes (like our friend above) will try and convince us that plucky Argentina beating overwhelming favourites Bolivia in the final is better than anything any other team has done.
Brazil were big favourites over Argentina in fairness

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Brazil were big favourites over Argentina in fairness
I haven’t checked the odds so I can’t comment, but my broader point was that going into every Copa, Brazil and Argentina are the overwhelming favourites for each tournament.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
A country that doesn't even belong to the continent (Mexico) reached the semis of the Copa as many times as Portugal did in the Euro (5) and reached as many finals as Portugal did as well (2).

Argentina won it the most times, 15, together with Uruguay, out of 47 editions. (28%)
Argentina reached the semi finals (or 3rd/4th place) 36 times out of 47 editions. (77%)

Since 1990 Argentina won 3 out of 13 editions. (23%)
Since 1990 Argentina reached the semi finals 8 out of 13 editions. (62%)

With Messi Argentina won 1 out of 6 editions. (17%)
With Messi Argentina reached the semi finals 5 out of 6 editions. (83%)

Portugal failed to qualify in 8 of the 16 editions of the Euro. (50%)
Portugal won 1 out of 16 editions. (6%)
Portugal reached the semi-finals 5 times out of 16. (31%)

Since 1990 Portugal failed to qualify 1 out of 8 editions. (13%)
Since 1990 Portugal won 1 out of 8 editions. (13%)
Since 1990 Portugal reached the semi finals 4 out of 8 editions. (50%)

With Ronaldo Portugal failed to qualify 0 out of 5 editions. (0%)
With Ronaldo Portugal won 1 out of 5 editions. (20%)
With Ronaldo Portugal reached the semi-finals 3 out of 5 editions. (60%)