Who is our deadwood now then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So based on this pre-season, who do we really consider deadwood our real deadwood? Who will struggle to earn a place in the first team squad on regular basis and should be offloaded?

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

No players there who will earn us a lot of money.. I reckon if we do want to still make some money we should aim to exit someone like Lindelof (and keep Bailly/Tuanzebe as backup) or AWB (and keep Williams as backup or just trust Laird for it)

Red Royal

Hope he proves me wrong today, but after the preseason he has had DVDB should be added to that. Sell him as the youngsters seem ahead.

simmee

So based on this pre-season, who do we really consider deadwood our real deadwood? Who will struggle to earn a place in the first team squad on regular basis and should be offloaded?

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

No players there who will earn us a lot of money.. I reckon if we do want to still make some money we should aim to exit someone like Lindelof (and keep Bailly/Tuanzebe as backup) or AWB (and keep Williams as backup or just trust Laird for it)
I think Amad deserves more time. He has 1st team potential. Agree with the rest of your list.

I think whoever is 4th choice CB next summer should be sold and replaced by a young talent.

Teja

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

I wouldn't bother calling anyone with a sub 50k contract deadwood. That takes out Amad, Chong, Tuanzebe and Williams.

In my view the big ones are Bailly, Jones, Telles, AWB, VdB.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

You missed Wan Bisakka

Loony BoB

I wouldn't bother calling anyone with a sub 50k contract deadwood. That takes out Amad, Chong, Tuanzebe and Williams.

In my view the big ones are Bailly, Jones, Telles, AWB, VdB.
Yeah, I feel that's about right (both statements). I probably wouldn't include AWB until we have someone better, though. Deadwood to me is more people you don't want/need at your club even if you don't replace them.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Agree that AWB can also be added to the list, but it requires either Laird to be up for it to play regularly and challenge Dalot, or someone new to come in..

DVB I dont think should leave at least until someone new comes in.. Otherwise its only Eriksen Bruno Fred McTom for 3 places, (besides Zidane, Mjebri, Garner)..

I think Amad deserves more time. He has 1st team potential. Agree with the rest of your list.

I think whoever is 4th choice CB next summer should be sold and replaced by a young talent.
Also agree with this ideally, but also happy with having Martinez, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof as I dont see a real CB talent coming from the academy now to fill the 4th spot..

Loony BoB

I would take Iqbal ahead of DVB at the moment, I'm sad to say. Garner and Savage too - I don't think they would be better immediately, but I've got more faith in them in the long run.

I want to see DVB do well, I really do, but honestly he's shown signs only of regression, none of improving ever since his first competitive game for us (he scored as a sub, and it was all downhill on his average of performances from there).

Abraxas

I'm not sure about Amad. Seems a bit preemptive to me, although the manager does not appear overly enamored with him.

Giggsy13

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

Deadwood, as I think most would define it, are players past the age of development, who are what they are and clearly not good enough for United. So the fact you would even think that Amad and Williams are deadwood is absolutely ridiculous. Amad especially who just turned 20 and could use a few more loans before being judged. The rest are fairly obvious.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Deadwood, as I think most would define it, are players past the age of development, who are what they are and clearly not good enough for United. So the fact you would even think that Amad and Williams are deadwood is absolutely ridiculous. Amad especially who just turned 20 and could use a few more loans before being judged. The rest are fairly obvious.
Deadwood could also be considered players of a lower age in which you have no confidence that they will make your first team.. Considering Chong started today in stead of Amad shows for me that ETH has little confidence in him.. At least thats my interpretation..

Nickelodeon

Elanga is working his way on to the list. His lack of appearances is the only thing standing in his way.

AndySmith1990

Telles - not good enough, no longer needed
Bailly - too erratic and injury prone
Jones - it's Phil Jones
Chong - never been anywhere near good enough and never will be
Tuanzebe - not good enough and not needed
Williams - not good enough and not needed

Players who *should* be deadwood but aren't due to lack of depth and better alternatives

McTominay
Elanga
AWB

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Youngsters like Amad aren't really deadwood if you see talent that's worth just loaning .
But generally:
  • Telles
  • Williams
  • Bailly
  • Jones
  • Chong
  • Elanga (once we get another attacker)
  • Donny (once we get a midfielder)
  • Wan Bissaka (once we get a right back)

Rojofiam

Bailly, Jones, Telles

They aren't gonna get minutes and wouldn't need replacing if we sold them.

The minute we sign a RB and 1-2 CMs, AWB and VDB join this list.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Goalkeepers
In: De Gea (needs a replacement long-term), Heaton
Out: Henderson (we should cash in as he'll never be our main keeper)
Youngsters: Kovar

Fullbacks
In: Shaw, Malacia, Dalot & Laird is enough for now, we can let the rest go (although in the future we'll likely going to need to upgrade the right fullback position)
Out: Wan-Bissaka (we may still recoup at least some of his original price), Telles (set pieces alone aren't worth it), Williams (just not good enough)
Youngsters: Fernandez

Centre backs
In: Maguire, Martinez, Varane, Lindelöf
Out: Bailly (still has the talent but can't be relied upon), Jones (his body is broken), Tuanzebe (not good enough)
Youngsters: Mengi — maybe he'll make it? Although unlikely in my opinion; Fish

Midfield
In: Eriksen, Bruno, Fred, McTominay (should be let go but we lack numbers), van de Beek (same), Garner
Out: no one yet as we simply don't have the numbers
Youngsters: Hannibal, Zidane, Savage

Attack
In: Ronaldo, Sancho, Martial (ideally replaced but not this season), Rashford
Out: Chong (he's 22, ffs! and not even once did he show that he has what it takes), Elanga (although probably not this summer as we do lack the numbers — depends on the youth & potential signings), Pellestri (I don't think that his ceiling is high enough)
Youngsters: Amad (for some reason writing him off seems to be the flavour of the month), Garnacho, Shoretire

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Goalkeepers
In: De Gea (needs a replacement long-term), Heaton
Out: Henderson (we should cash in as he'll never be our main keeper)
Youngsters: Kovar

Fullbacks
In: Shaw, Malacia, Dalot & Laird is enough for now, we can let the rest go (although in the future we'll likely going to need to upgrade the right fullback position)
Out: Wan-Bissaka (we may still recoup at least some of his original price), Telles (set pieces alone aren't worth it), Williams (just not good enough)
Youngsters: Fernandez

Centre backs
In: Maguire, Martinez, Varane, Lindelöf
Out: Bailly (still has the talent but can't be relied upon), Jones (his body is broken), Tuanzebe (not good enough)
Youngsters: Mengi — maybe he'll make it? Although unlikely in my opinion; Fish

Midfield
In: Eriksen, Bruno, Fred, McTominay (should be let go but we lack numbers), van de Beek (same), Garner
Out: no one yet as we simply don't have the numbers
Youngsters: Hannibal, Zidane, Savage

Attack
In: Ronaldo, Sancho, Martial (ideally replaced but not this season), Rashford
Out: Chong (he's 22, ffs! and not even once did he show that he has what it takes), Elanga (although probably not this summer as we do lack the numbers — depends on the youth & potential signings), Pellestri (I don't think that his ceiling is high enough)
Youngsters: Amad (for some reason writing him off seems to be the flavour of the month), Garnacho, Shoretire
This sounds about right

Kag

Williams, Telles, Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Chong have no business being here at all.

There are others like Wan Bissaka who needs to be replaced, and youngsters like Amad and Pellistri who need good loans, but they’re not what I would describe as ‘dead wood’.

davidmichael

I’d say AWB, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, Williams and Chong although that said I do believe that if Tuanzebe could stay fit and given a run he’d be a better option as fourth choice than Bailly.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I’d say AWB, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, Williams and Chong although that said I do believe that if Tuanzebe could stay fit and given a run he’d be a better option as fourth choice than Bailly.
They would surely be 5th behind Maguire, Martinez, Varane and Lindelof..

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Youngsters like Amad aren't really deadwood if you see talent that's worth just loaning .
But generally:
  • Telles
  • Williams
  • Bailly
  • Jones
  • Chong
  • Elanga (once we get another attacker)
  • Donny (once we get a midfielder)
  • Wan Bissaka (once we get a right back)
Agree with this list

CM

Williams, Telles, Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Chong have no business being here at all.

There are others like Wan Bissaka who needs to be replaced, and youngsters like Amad and Pellistri who need good loans, but they’re not what I would describe as ‘dead wood’.
Agreed on most of these. I'd also add van de Beek to the list of those on the top line, I can't see any way back for him now.

I'd like to see Amad given a chance here this season, but if he isn't going to get the minutes then a loan would be for the best.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Amad doesn’t class as deadwood surely

Kag

Agreed on most of these. I'd also add van de Beek to the list of those on the top line, I can't see any way back for him now.

I'd like to see Amad given a chance here this season, but if he isn't going to get the minutes then a loan would be for the best.
I don’t really rate Van de Beek, but he isn’t deadwood. He’s going to get minutes in those attacking midfielder positions alongside Eriksen, Bruno and McTominay. Deadwood is the type of player that struggles to make the match day squad.

Agree on Amad. I quite like him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If its about generating funds for transfers then Telles, VDB and Bailly are probably surplus to requirements

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I hate the term ‘deadwood’. It’s so disrespectful. There are undoubtedly players that we won’t use and should move on, but we don’t need to be insulting or insensitive in the process. We should be better than that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Donny van de Beek
Alex Telles
Aaron Wan Bissaka
Brandon Williams
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones
Victor Lindelof (not been impressed at all in pre season)

Would feel comfortable with all of them leaving for a combined £70mil+ and get some wages back.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Googled Chong to get a bit more info on him and this gem from Goldbridge came up:

Every time I've watched this guy play, he's not done anything to impress me. Surprised he's still at the club.

Kopral Jono

Real deadwood: Telles, Chong, Williams and Jones. I haven't seen enough of Shoretire to make a judgment. The likes of Tuanzebe and Van de Beek are borderline cases. And in an ideal world, McTominay has no business being a United player.

BuzzKillington

They’re not deadwood, they’re substitutes until we buy some more players. Our squad is paper thin now, we have no back ups, we have a first 11 a handful of squad players who you’ve called deadwood’s and the youth team.

Can we focus on signing some players rather than selling/releasing them. Clearly we have not improved at all from releasing the ones who have left already this summer, why would getting rid of more help?

Anustart89

Googled Chong to get a bit more info on him and this gem from Goldbridge came up:

Every time I've watched this guy play, he's not done anything to impress me. Surprised he's still at the club.
Harsh to dig up a four year old tweet regarding a youngster.

mikeyt

Donny van de Beek
Alex Telles
Aaron Wan Bissaka
Brandon Williams
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones
Victor Lindelof (not been impressed at all in pre season)

Would feel comfortable with all of them leaving for a combined £70mil+ and get some wages back.
Add Bailly and Mctominay and I'd agree

Withnail

My thoughts...

Telles
Amad
Bailly
Jones
Chong
Tuanzebe
Williams

Massively harsh on Amad. I can't argue with any of the others. Although I'd add AWB. He hasn't got a look in in pre-season so EtH clearly doesn't rate him.

Also you can't have Bailly/Tuanzebe as back ups. Neither are ever fit and can be erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.