Who is our deadwood now then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Harsh to dig up a four year old tweet regarding a youngster.
That's the thing, I didn't dig it up. I simply Googled "Tahith Chong" and that comes up straight away.

I think that's a testament to how uneventful his career has been so far.

Anustart89

That's the thing, I didn't dig it up. I simply Googled "Tahith Chong" and that comes up straight away.

I think that's a testament to how uneventful his career has been so far.
Ah, fair enough if that's the point you were making, my bad.

Robbie Boy

Googled Chong to get a bit more info on him and this gem from Goldbridge came up:

Every time I've watched this guy play, he's not done anything to impress me. Surprised he's still at the club.
Isn't this the Twitter lad that RedCafe are absolutely obsessed with :lol:

Last edited:

theatreofdreams777

Most of our young players (Garner, Elanga, Chong, Pellistri, Shoretire etc.) barring Iqbal & Garnacho
Tuanzebe
AWB
Telles
Williams

These will join the list in a couple of months :

Maguire
Ronaldo
Greenwood
Van de beek
Lindelöf
Bruno
Heaton

ThanksBoss26

Williams, Telles, Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Chong have no business being here at all.

There are others like Wan Bissaka who needs to be replaced, and youngsters like Amad and Pellistri who need good loans, but they’re not what I would describe as ‘dead wood’.
I’d go with this list.

hobbers

Bailly
Jones
Tuanzebe
AWB
Williams
Telles
VDB
McTominay
Martial
Elanga
Chong
Greenwood (technically, since we're still paying him)

Polar

Classifying U21 players like Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga as deadwood is nonsense:nono:

Varane around town

• Eric Bailly- He's going to end up being our 5th choice CB
  • Phil Jones- Our 6th choice CB. So irrelevant no one seemed to notice he's played less minutes in pre-season than Ronaldo
  • Telles- is our 3rd choice LB. Who on earth needs a 3rd choice LB?
  • Wan-Bissaka- the antithesis to everything Ten Hag wants in a full back
  • Brandon Williams- promising start but not going to get anywhere

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
  • Phil Jones- Our 6th choice CB. So irrelevant no one seemed to notice he's played less minutes in pre-season than Ronaldo
Think you nailed it there mate.

Not one for knee jerk but Chong was particularly poor today in terms of decision making. IF he was going to make it, surely would have done it by now, looks another Pereira to me.

Varane around town

Think you nailed it there mate.

Not one for knee jerk but Chong was particularly poor today in terms of decision making. IF he was going to make it, surely would have done it by now, looks another Pereira to me.
Yeah I think Chong will be entering the 'promising United youngsters who flattered to deceive' book of remembrance soon.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I wouldn't bother calling anyone with a sub 50k contract deadwood. That takes out Amad, Chong, Tuanzebe and Williams.

In my view the big ones are Bailly, Jones, Telles, AWB, VdB.
I agree with that. Those 5 are on good money, and have some resale value. They should all be shipped out asap. Chong and Tuanzebe have no future at the club, they just aren’t good enough and never will be. So they should be got rid of straight away. The final one is Ronaldo.

Jacob

Bailly, Jones, Chong, Williams, Tuanzebe, Telles, AWB

Most of which are defenders ironically.

Jacob

I’d add Elanga to that list.
Too early. Would've call him deadwood just yet. A loan would be a good do or die for him. Garnacho over Elanga anytime as it stands.

MrSingh2002

Deadwood list.

Jones
Bailly
Shaw
Chong

I'd say the rest have a place in the first team, squad, reserves or youth teams.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s crazy how bad our wage structure is, we are not able to sell any of the players who are not good enough

Alemar

Jones
Tuanzebe
Chong
Bissaka
Mengi
Alex Telles
Shoretire
Bailly

Tyrion

Googled Chong to get a bit more info on him and this gem from Goldbridge came up:

Every time I've watched this guy play, he's not done anything to impress me. Surprised he's still at the club.
Goldbridge is funny but on the Talksport-Athletic scale, he's definitely on the Talksport side.

Tyrion

It’s crazy how bad our wage structure is, we are not able to sell any of the players who are not good enough
It's like we think that giving out high wages makes the players better. Realistically, almost all of our current team could be replaced by a player equally good on lower wages. I'm glad that we at least refuse to offer Pogba an increase.

AsonUnique

This but replace Tuanzebe with AWB.

I see AWB and VdB oficially joining this list midseason assuming we make some signings. If no midfield reinforcements VdB will play and with Laird looking at a loan and no new RB yet I don't see how AWB doesn't play a significant amount of games.

stoinz

Wouldn't classify them as deadwood as they certainly play at the top levels for others, just doesn't fit what we are going at the moment. Will be a win-win for the player and the club if they left:
1, Jones
2. Bailly
3. Tuanzebe
4. AWB
5. Telles
6. Chong
7. Mengl

Loan:
1. Elanga
2. Amad
3. Shoretire
4. Savage

I'll keep Brandon Williams as a backup. Not sure why we seems have problems selling or letting go of our fringe players these days. There was a time when our academy players flooded the premier league. These days we can't even give one away for free.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

More to the point, whenever you see him try ride a tackle it doesn't look graceful at all, let alone remind you of George Best. I never got a whiff of headless chicken from Bestie either, neither pissed nor sober.

Fina

Bruno
Maguire
Mctominay
Rashford
Martial

I don't bother mentioning those who rarely plays because they aren't detrimental to our team on the pitch, but the name above , is our real deadwood . Don't expect us to win anything as long as those players keep on playing week in week out. Insanity is doing the same thing and expect different results , those players were most responsible for our trophy drought. If we bought new players , it has to be for replacing those players and force them to be benchwarmer. There won't be an end of united misery with them playing every week.

Last edited:

Telsim

Everyone U-21 gets a pass. But I'd keep only Garnacho and Iqbal for the first team. Loan the rest.

Deadwood:
Jones
Bailly
Telles
Williams
Tuanzebe
Chong
AWB

Move all of these and we can afford someone world class instead.

Onerealunited

Of course non of the youth players. It would be senior players who aren’t good enough to start for us or to act as a quality backup or players the coach doesn’t trust. This would include: the following players (parentheses shows end of contract without options)
  • Bailly (2024): Very good when fit, but he is 5th or 6th choice
  • Jones (2023): injury prone and not good enough
  • Tuanzebe (2023): has previously shown talent but has regressed in later years. Injury prone.
  • AWB (2024): doesn’t fit in a team that want to attack. Also seems not trusted much by ETH
  • Telles (2024): already has 2 players above him in the pecking order
  • Williams (2024): already has 2 players above him in the pecking order. Hasn’t shown enough in previous years to suggest he’d be a future United player
  • Chong (2023): young and talented but not much has suggested that he has what it takes to be a United player. Unlucky with injuries and loans

Status
Not open for further replies.