Who is the biggest club in London?

Kaos

Arsenal. Despite being a meme club for years they're still one of English football's most iconic clubs, have won the league more times than all their London rivals put together, the FA cup more than anyone and have a coveted history.

Chelsea have their two European cups but prior to them becoming English football's first big sportwashing project, they were at Spurs' level.

Pintu

Arsenal. Despite being a meme club for years they're still one of English football's most iconic clubs, have won the league more times than all their London rivals put together, the FA cup more than anyone and have a coveted history.

Chelsea have their two European cups but prior to them becoming English football's first big sportwashing project, they were at Spurs' level.
After the Newcastle debacle, we can consider the whole PL to be one giant sportwashing project... No need to keep beating Chelsea with that stick when comparing recent achievements... (I still think Abu Dhabi is a special case... We'll see how N'Castle goes about things)

Kaos

After the Newcastle debacle, we can consider the whole PL to be one giant sportwashing project... No need to keep beating Chelsea with that stick when comparing recent achievements... (I still think Abu Dhabi is a special case... We'll see how N'Castle goes about things)
City are irrelevant, and everything they achieve will always be hollow. Newcastle are actually a big club, bigger than both Chelsea and City. Its unfortunate they've become a Saudi plaything but doesn't take away the fact their history surpasses that of the other two.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
City are irrelevant, and everything they achieve will always be hollow. Newcastle are actually a big club, bigger than both Chelsea and City. Its unfortunate they've become a Saudi plaything but doesn't take away the fact their history surpasses that of the other two.
They haven’t won anything of note for nigh on 70 years. What about them makes them a big club apart from being lucky enough to be the only club in a huge city?

wangyu

Chelsea has been consistently a top club since the mid 90s, which is now almost 30 years. I think they have surpassed arsenal a good while ago. You can’t keep saying club x or y has no history, I also wonder why past achievements appear to have more weight than recent achievements?

They also won a CL which automatically puts them with the all time big boys anyway.

TheLiverBird

Arsenal

by a distance

substantial distance

3rd most successful Club in English football being 14 Trophies ahead of Chelsea, far better bigger stadium, arguably a bigger following world wide, and Currently sat comfortably at the top of the table by several points.

Depends how you want the narrative to be spun??

Historically? Then you have to say Arsenal, hands down, 13 League Titles to Chelsea’s 6!!

last 20 years? Chelsea have had the glory absolutely over Arsenal

right now???….Arsenal are winning a Title race

padr81

Supports
Man City
They haven’t won anything of note for nigh on 70 years. What about them makes them a big club apart from being lucky enough to be the only club in a huge city?
Its actually funny to read posts like the one you quoted given success between all 3 was similar befor their takeovers.

Before their takeovers (translated to modern equivalent -
Chelsea 1 PL, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 2 Europa Leagues - 8 major honours.
Man City 2 PL, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Uefa Cup Winners Cup (no modern equivalent) - 9 major honours
Newcastle 4 PL - 6 FA Cups, 1 Fairs Cup (Uefa Cup precursor) - 11 major honours

Last League Titles
City 1968, Chelsea 1955, Newcastle 1927

Last Major Trophy
Chelsea 2000, City 1976, Newcastle 1969

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea has been consistently a top club since the mid 90s, which is now almost 30 years. I think they have surpassed arsenal a good while ago. You can’t keep saying club x or y has no history, I also wonder why past achievements appear to have more weight than recent achievements?

They also won a CL which automatically puts them with the all time big boys anyway.
I’d go further and say history has nothing to do with the present. Particularly if club X won trophies 50-100 years ago and barely anything since. Absolutely means nothing in any modern day metric. History is used as a defensive mechanism by fans of clubs who have faded from relevance. Most recently it was used by Liverpool fans pre-Klopp to justify themselves in a group of top teams competing and actually winning trophies.

Going further people tend to talk down Chelsea’s accomplishments because they’re linked to Roman when blatantly ignoring Arsenals own shady past when they should have never been bumped into the first division following the league restart after the war. This likely gave such a club a different history altogether.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I’d go further and say history has nothing to do with the present. Particularly if club X won trophies 50-100 years ago and barely anything since. Absolutely means nothing in any modern day metric. History is used as a defensive mechanism by fans of clubs who have faded from relevance. Most recently it was used by Liverpool fans pre-Klopp to justify themselves in a group of top teams competing and actually winning trophies.

Going further people tend to talk down Chelsea’s accomplishments because they’re linked to Roman when blatantly ignoring Arsenals own shady past when they should have never been bumped into the first division following the league restart after the war. This likely gave such a club a different history altogether.
Agreed. Without a doubt Chelsea is currently the biggest club in London. It has the most resource, highest wage bill, and the most trophies in the past 20 years. They won the CL not long ago, and finished the highest (3rd) in the league among the london clubs last season.

This kind of discussion is pointless however, it is just like asking which club is the biggest club in Manchester.

wangyu

Not to mention the host of world class players that have worn your beloved blue shirt, the list is almost endless.

weizxx

Isn’t saying Chelsea are bigger than Arsenal sort of like saying City are bigger than us because of the last number of years? More recent success, sure, but globally Arsenal are still a more well known team with a wider following.

I know it’s not a like for like comparison as we are a bigger club than Arsenal and Chelsea have been bigger for longer than City, but still.
If we keep being shit anothe decade and City keep winning yes City will be bigger then United someday. Ce'v la vie.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Arsenal have not won the premier for almost 20 years and Chelsea already have two champions.
A 25 year old football fan has seen a multitude of top coaches and players at Chelsea in these two decades.
In terms of following Chelsea is way ahead on social media. Yes, I know they are misleading and many can change jackets over time.
I think PSG for example have too many, and there are many who are more fans of a player than a team but in any case Arsenal fans don't even use facebook, instagram or twitter to find out about their team?
I also believe that if you give an elite player, right now, with the same contract conditions, a choice between the two, he would choose Chelsea because of the image of the last few years.

If the debate is about number of home fans, from my short experience in England and London I would say Arsenal is much more supported.

lex talionis

Clearly Arsenal, though it can’t be denied that Chelsea have been more successful than Arsenal over the last 15 seasons.

NoPace

I assume it's Arsenal, but as a board we should collectively agree that it's West Ham

erinoco

Supports
Arsenal
A huge omission in here is that Chelsea weren’t an option during the formative years of a lot of non-white people as they were perceived as a racist club by association and the antithesis of anything a non-white person should be supporting. That, coupled with the open arms and feeling of union Arsenal offered, makes for a no-brainer for an entire generation of support. In fact, if you’re of a certain age, you have to divorce what Chelsea were from what Chelsea are to get your head around the shift that would be deemed incredulous a couple of decades ago. On top of that, Tottenham were proudly and staunchly “Yid Army” which is isolating in itself and again made Arse an effortless choice to select as a non-white person choosing a London club. So this allied to the players and style of football they had, gave a huge, unchallenged advantage for literal decades.

The footballing landscape has changed beyond recognition in London from the 80’s until now and opened the doors for change on an epic scale. A scale that’s incomprehensible for those that don’t know what these clubs used to be perceived as.
Yes. In Inner South London, with its huge and growing black population, 'traditional' support was divided between Chelsea and Millwall. While some black supporters followed this trend (Ian Wright was a Millwall fan back in the day),, for most of the 80s and early 90s, the foul reputation of both teams was enough to put any black person off, and neither had the attraction of success either - which made things worse, as both fanbases were dominated by an unloved hard core.

Arsenal always had historic pockets of South London support from the Woolwich days, and was clearly the most successful of the London teams. Spurs had their black fans, but were more clearly tied to their traditional areas of support, and were less clearly successful over the period.

(Crystal Palace also did well out of the trend; their support base has grown out of Croydon, and has shifted closer to the Thames, and down towards Brighton. If they can push through to a Top 10 place consistently, they have a massive potential fanbase to unlock.)

One thing about Chelsea: even before the Roman era, they always seem to have the biggest fairweather fanbase. Their proximity to fashionable London might have something to do with it. When they are flying high, they do well, but a lot of those fans might drop off if they look as though they will go through a prolonged trophy drought.

Reactions: Fortitude